Winner_13
    Winner_13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1087

Introverts

Are you one? Sometimes people can be one in certain situations. I belive most people at their happiest are extroverted, out there, enjoying and communicating with their enviornment.

I read a thread about the decline of America ( great post btw). I belive some of those issues stem from more people being introverted now. More people staying in etc. I mean why go out and talk to a girl when it's easier to talk to her on those dating websites or tinder etc.

I think today's age allows people to he more introverted and drugs for example can make one more more introverted in the long run (the users probably don't realize this). Also it's hard in this materialistic nation which can make one less confident and people would rather just shove a donut in their mouth.

Thoughts on introverts and extroverts?

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16
    FlipsideRM's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3216

I'm not sure being a true introvert is really a choice. I'm a pretty big introvert, rather be alone most occasions, can cope by myself long periods of time, etc. but I like to have a good time and socialize every now and then. I feel bad for super extroverted people to be honest. I have some very outgoing friends who are Always having to be around people or have someone to be with in a relationship, can never be alone. Plus research shows that introverts have higher IQ's

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15060

Quote Originally Posted by Winner_13 View Post
    I belive most people at their happiest are extroverted, out there, enjoying and communicating with their enviornment.

I read a thread about the decline of America ( great post btw). I belive some of those issues stem from more people being introverted now. More people staying in etc. I mean why go out and talk to a girl when it's easier to talk to her on those dating websites or tinder etc.

I think today's age allows people to he more introverted and drugs for example can make one more more introverted in the long run (the users probably don't realize this). Also it's hard in this materialistic nation which can make one less confident and people would rather just shove a donut in their mouth.

Thoughts on introverts and extroverts?
    Good topic BTW. Not enough of these.

On the bolded part, I disagree. Most extroverts I know are overcompensating bigtime, or are generally very insecure and require lots of attention, or often both. Of course it's easy for me to sit here and say "all extroverts are emotional disasters that cry themselves to sleep" when I'm not one myself.

I'm an introvert, and as I've gotten older I've become moreso. Don't get me wrong, people make the mistake of thinking of introverts as shy and aloof, and that's misguided IMO. I don't initiate conversations, but I gladly add to them, never needing to talk for very long, because I don't like to be around people that do that. I LOVE my alone time, unlike many who require constant companionship, but I can be comfortable and fit into any social environment. Being in the hospitality industry for a long time really helped there.

I don't think technology has anything to do with it. I think introverts or extroverts are who they are regardless of changing technology. Example: Back when cellphones were just starting to become the norm, people were talking on them and not paying attention to what they were doing, and getting into car accidents. Others would talk loudly on them in movie theaters and other areas where you're supposed to keep it down. And people were blaming cellphones!! No, thoughtless a-holes were always thoughtless a-holes, cellphones were just a great way to shine a brighter light on who those people were.

People who are more introverted flock to dating websites, because they are more comfortable and can be themselves during that really awkward getting-to-know-you process, to where extroverts have no problem with that part.

As far as materialism and shoving donuts in your mouth, that sounds a lot more like a self-esteem thing, which is a different issue altogether.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

In a relationship it kinda sucks if your partner is an introvert. Not talking about introvert as far as not being outgoing rather introverted in not expressing feelings, they tend to hold feelings and thoughts in until they erupt in an argument and you're sitting there thinking k where did this come from, could be arguing about something that happened days/weeks ago. Stay away from those.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    Good topic BTW. Not enough of these.

On the bolded part, I disagree. Most extroverts I know are overcompensating bigtime, or are generally very insecure and require lots of attention, or often both. Of course it's easy for me to sit here and say "all extroverts are emotional disasters that cry themselves to sleep" when I'm not one myself.

I'm an introvert, and as I've gotten older I've become moreso. Don't get me wrong, people make the mistake of thinking of introverts as shy and aloof, and that's misguided IMO. I don't initiate conversations, but I gladly add to them, never needing to talk for very long, because I don't like to be around people that do that. I LOVE my alone time, unlike many who require constant companionship, but I can be comfortable and fit into any social environment. Being in the hospitality industry for a long time really helped there.

I don't think technology has anything to do with it. I think introverts or extroverts are who they are regardless of changing technology. Example: Back when cellphones were just starting to become the norm, people were talking on them and not paying attention to what they were doing, and getting into car accidents. Others would talk loudly on them in movie theaters and other areas where you're supposed to keep it down. And people were blaming cellphones!! No, thoughtless a-holes were always thoughtless a-holes, cellphones were just a great way to shine a brighter light on who those people were.

People who are more introverted flock to dating websites, because they are more comfortable and can be themselves during that really awkward getting-to-know-you process, to where extroverts have no problem with that part.

As far as materialism and shoving donuts in your mouth, that sounds a lot more like a self-esteem thing, which is a different issue altogether.

you basically just repeated what I said in my first post, but with an extra 500 words haha

scumbag
    scumbag's Avatar Become A Pro!

salon stepping it's game up. a couple of solid threads today.

i'd hate to be one or the other. i think most people - myself included - are a combination of the both

Nut_Flopper
    Nut_Flopper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8840

Good explanation of what an introvert is

http://imgur.com/gallery/p4yt4Rl

Winner_13

Quote Originally Posted by FlipsideRM View Post
    I'm not sure being a true introvert is really a choice. I'm a pretty big introvert, rather be alone most occasions, can cope by myself long periods of time, etc. but I like to have a good time and socialize every now and then. I feel bad for super extroverted people to be honest. I have some very outgoing friends who are Always having to be around people or have someone to be with in a relationship, can never be alone. Plus research shows that introverts have higher IQ's
    The higher IQ thing is false.

Winner_13

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    In a relationship it kinda sucks if your partner is an introvert. Not talking about introvert as far as not being outgoing rather introverted in not expressing feelings, they tend to hold feelings and thoughts in until they erupt in an argument and you're sitting there thinking k where did this come from, could be arguing about something that happened days/weeks ago. Stay away from those.
    I can relate (not to the they erupt part but hold feelings to themselves).

scumbag
    scumbag's Avatar Become A Pro!

ambivert

(ˈæmbɪˌvɜːt)n1. (Psychology) psychol a person who is intermediate between an extrovert and an introvert

ambiversion n
    When I talk about the Big 5 Personality traits I explain that there is an extroversion scale. You can rank low, high or medium. People who fall in the middle of the spectrum are ambiverts.Why Ambiverts Are Awesome

Many people assume that exotrverts are the best at sales, the best leaders and are the most successful at work—WRONG! Adam Grant, an associate professor at Wharton School, did an analysis of 35 separate studies and found that the statistical relationship between extroversion and income was basically zero.
    He conducted a personality survey and collected three-month sales records for more than 300 salespeople, both male and female. The people who ranked right in the middle for extraversion and introversion (ambiverts) turned out to be the best salespeople.
    Ambiverts pulled in 24 percent more in revenue than introverts, and a mind-boggling 32 percent more in revenue than extroverts!
    Grant guessed that ambiverts seem to strike a balance between the two more extreme personality traits:
    “The ambivert advantage stems from the tendency to be assertive and enthusiastic enough to persuade and close, but at the same time, listening carefully to customers and avoiding the appearance of being overly confident or excited,” Grant said.
    there is actually a name for what i always thought i was. people always seem so eager to label themselves one or the other; i always thought that plenty people were a combination.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

http://www.16personalities.com/personality-types

you don't become an introvert or extrovert. though i used to be way more social in college, you are who you are.

intj here...

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

actually it's true.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I like socializing as long as it's not at night and as I like to be alone more and watch sports but in the daytime I can talk with the best of them and fit in very well with people especially strangers

I definitely am not around any type of party environments

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Oh yes it definitely is true. Plus a lot of extroverts have adhd

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I would say I'm definitely more of an introvert as I value alone time and definitely need to "re-charge" when out for a while or days in a row....I'm normal and social when in public or at work but many conversations I have, I don't really value or feel like I gain much out of. Sometimes I find myself just going through the motions in a social situation if I'm not really feeling the scene while others I noticed are always in a great mood and chatting it up all the damn time....When partying or drinking it's usually all good though

I always played sports growing up and was all over the place in college going out and partying but definitely needed alot of chill time during the day

Extreme extroverts that are over-whelming and don't give you space bother me more than anything....Also get a little annoyed when friends or girls constantly bother me always wanting to talk or do something.....Like just chill for a little, how do people always need someone else to entertain them?

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15060

Quote Originally Posted by FlipsideRM View Post
    you basically just repeated what I said in my first post, but with an extra 500 words haha
    I've been known to do that.

Edit: Shit, just read your post. Too funny.
    Last edited by Ralphie Halves; 07-28-15 at 07:07 AM.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11494

Quote Originally Posted by scumbag View Post
    salon stepping it's game up.
    Agreed. Even Seaweed's posts in ask ttwarrior thread today are surprisingly thought provoking.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I think there's more introverts and extroverts

Like I said I have an introverted night life but in the daytime I'm very social

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14