The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by sourtwist View Post
    You're not as smart as you give yourself credit for.

My post you quoted is the truth, and nobody's business.
    Well, that's quite an assumption seeing that you don't know how much credit I give myself for being smart.

I'll stick with the facts, I have an associates degree in nursing, I never accrued any college debt, I have a job making six figures yearly, get over 5 weeks of vacation and a pension. I also nearly max out my 403b roth (I'll let you look up the maximum annual contributions).

So, for someone not nearly as smart as they think they are, I'd say I've made chicken soup with chicken shit.

There are a lot of guys out there many times smarter than I am, probably many on this board, applying for jobs to make 40-50k/year. Or they have that elusive MBA with 75k in student loan debt making 80k/year.

"Smart" is a relative term Sour. By my standards, I'm every bit as smart as I give myself credit for.

The Kraken

[QUOTE=Triple_D_Bet;24318389]Maybe I'm missing something, but sour asked a pretty valid question here, and you seem to have ducked it entirely to just attack him?

Well, my apologies, I actually quoted the wrong post. I had meant to quote the one above that post where he referenced me.

But to answer the question, it's not nearly as black and white as what Sour makes it seems. "What i eat is none of your business". Lets rephrase that "What I smoke is none of your business" or "What I snort is none of your business."

We live in a governed society and part of living within such a society is compromise. Personal rights must be balanced with what is best for the general population. Hence, you can't legally go bump a line at lunch break, so you're stuck drinking coffee. Nor can you own a fully automatic rifle without a class 3 license, $200 tax stamp and a pretty extensive ATF background check. Compromises. You don't have the right to own whatever guns you want. You don't have the right to do whatever drugs you want. You don't even have the right to smoke a fukking cigarette in a city park in King County. So, do you really believe what you eat is none of anyone elses business?

You have chosen to live in this society, to be a part of this community and by doing so, you ultimately give up some of your personal rights and freedoms.

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post

Sometimes irony is just too good to pass up.

Originally Posted by The Kraken

I dont have time to rwad all this, have we solved racism yet?
    Fukk you Giant, I have time to write long winded posts but not read them. With a few exceptions.

In all fairness, I don't think many read mine either

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7917

[IMG]https://*********************************/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11817120_10153641062759059_3323538803779 696815_n.jpg?oh=13dc906ca9ce86d5a6cadf15 1603a449&oe=563D350C[/IMG]

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
    Not really a huge political party guy but I do love how each group is so seamless in their blaming of the other party as being dumb, lazy, no clue, etc. Don't get me wrong, I generally think most people in general are too dumb, lazy, no clue etc to function in our world but I don't think it has anything to do with political affiliation.

And yes, our society appears to be on a rather rapid downward spiral. Every great empire falls at some point or another so hopefully ours can hold out until I'm dead. People are lazy, stupid, entitled, and nobody with half a brain will do anything about it. I blame it all on facebook.
    I dont think this post has gotten enough attention, a lot of good points here. Especially about FB.

Triple_D_Bet
    Triple_D_Bet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 219

[QUOTE=The Kraken;24318507]
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple_D_Bet View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but sour asked a pretty valid question here, and you seem to have ducked it entirely to just attack him?

Well, my apologies, I actually quoted the wrong post. I had meant to quote the one above that post where he referenced me.

But to answer the question, it's not nearly as black and white as what Sour makes it seems. "What i eat is none of your business". Lets rephrase that "What I smoke is none of your business" or "What I snort is none of your business."

We live in a governed society and part of living within such a society is compromise. Personal rights must be balanced with what is best for the general population. Hence, you can't legally go bump a line at lunch break, so you're stuck drinking coffee. Nor can you own a fully automatic rifle without a class 3 license, $200 tax stamp and a pretty extensive ATF background check. Compromises. You don't have the right to own whatever guns you want. You don't have the right to do whatever drugs you want. You don't even have the right to smoke a fukking cigarette in a city park in King County. So, do you really believe what you eat is none of anyone elses business?

You have chosen to live in this society, to be a part of this community and by doing so, you ultimately give up some of your personal rights and freedoms.
    No worries, that's why I asked, seemed odd

As for the rights, making a law against something doesn't mean you lose the right to do it. The simplest analogy is Prohibition; at one point not too long ago, we realized prohibiting people from consuming things required an amendment to the Constitution. Since then, we've convinced ourselves that we can just pass laws instead. Rights, by definition, aren't subject to compromise, and a person should have the right to do pretty much anything so long as it doesn't prevent others exercising their rights.

In a rights-based assessment, the right of a person to smoke wouldn't supersede the right of the property owner to dictate what rules must be followed for access to their property. Prohibiting someone from smoking, or drinking, or snorting anything on their own property (or property they rent, same for this purpose) is a violation of that persons rights.

Rights like this are absolutely necessary to a lawful society such as ours. Without respect for them, there's nothing to stop a bare majority from imposing their whims upon any minority. If you say you can't do a line of coke because it prompts reckless behavior or health concerns, how the hell can you explain permitting alcohol? And how can you explain holding someone accountable for the actions they might take, and inconsistently at that?

I used to believe in oppression for the greater good, before I realized how illogical and unreasonable such a concept is. The founding concept of the country revolved around citizen rights, and unfortunately in the years since, we've taken those rights for granted too long and have forgotten the basic tenets upon which we were founded

The Kraken

I consider myself open minded to the point one day my brain may actually fall out

I'll give your post some srs thought and get back to you.

I may be the first ever convert on SBR.

Has it ever happened? Have all our debates actually ever changed anyones mind?

Maybe I could be the first

Triple_D_Bet
    Triple_D_Bet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 219

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    I consider myself open minded to the point one day my brain may actually fall out

I'll give your post some srs thought and get back to you.

I may be the first ever convert on SBR.

Has it ever happened? Have all our debates actually ever changed anyones mind?

Maybe I could be the first
    Haha, I ask myself the same sometimes. For the sake of my sanity, I hope people have changed their minds...but I know I've changed my mind on some of this stuff after prolonged discussions, so I have to hold out hope it can be done.

Looking forward to revisiting this when you're ready
    Points Awarded:

The Kraken gave Triple_D_Bet 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

First 123