ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Is religion a superstition?

Believers often get angry when one describes religion as a “superstition,” for they don’t want their beloved faith analogized in any way with rabbits’ feet, four-leaf clovers, or ghosts. A superstition I had as a child, and one I still rarely entertain though I don’t believe it for a second, is not stepping on sidewalk cracks lest bad fortune ensue. Is that really any different from saying you’ll go to hell if you don’t confess that you masturbated?

To resolve the issue, I looked up “superstition” in that paragon of rectitude, the Oxford English Dictionary, and found these definitions:

II. Senses relating to belief.

3. Religious belief or practice considered to be irrational, unfounded, or based on fear or ignorance; excessively credulous belief in and reverence for the supernatural.

and this:

4. A religious system considered to be irrational, unfounded, or based on fear or ignorance; a false, pagan, or idolatrous religion.

and this:

5. A religious belief, ceremony, or practice considered to be irrational, unfounded, or based on fear or ignorance

They’re all pretty similar. (Note in #4 that it refers to a “false” religion. What’s a “true” religion?) But for the life of me I can’t see why religion isn’t a “superstition” according to these definitions. For all religions, or at least those that are theistic and posit unevidenced realities, are irrational and unfounded.

However, there’s one curious definition that, for reasons I don’t understand, removes religion from the other supernatural stuff:

7. Irrational, unfounded, or erroneous belief other than that based on religion or the supernatural; an unreasonable, groundless, or mistaken notion.

Is religion a superstition?

That is unwarranted privileging of religion! Based on these definitions, I do see religion as a form of superstition...

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Jesus is the lord and savior.
    Points Awarded:

marcoloco gave Big Bear 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3621

If somebody wants to believe in God or Allah and Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny then you're not going to stop them. They cross the line when then insist others believe in the same. Religion is not only a superstition, it's the cause of all wars on Planet Earth.

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

Of course it is... Religion, superstition, homeopathy etc.
    Weak critical thinking skills, fear etc

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose View Post
    If somebody wants to believe in God or Allah and Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny then you're not going to stop them. They cross the line when then insist others believe in the same. Religion is not only a superstition, it's the cause of all wars on Planet Earth.
    I used to think the same thing. Now I realize war is just human nature. If religions disappeared tomorrow we'd be war'ing over something else.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    I used to think the same thing. Now I realize war is just human nature. If religions disappeared tomorrow we'd be war'ing over something else.
    Religion and nationalism easily rally people who otherwise would consider each other strangers.

Wars themselves, are almost always about land, and control of the resources within.

And yes, of course religion is a superstition.
    Last edited by muldoon; 05-09-15 at 02:22 AM.
    Points Awarded:

The Kraken gave muldoon 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

lol

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by zizoudane10 View Post
    Of course it is... Religion, superstition, homeopathy etc.
    Weak critical thinking skills, fear etc

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Believing that giving poor people other peoples money will lift them up is the greatest and fastest growing religion in the world. In fact, I would submit, with all the centuries of evidence to the contrary, that it takes more faith to believe in that than to believe some good man arose from his own grave.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Triple_D_Bet

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    Do you have anything to say you fukkin loser?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: gauchojake

IlluminatedOne
    What you think you become
    IlluminatedOne's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1738

Religion could be observed as nothing but control, after all you are seeking something outside yourself.

statnerds
    Put me in coach
    statnerds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    what he said...

superstition or not, it is important to keep in mind that the dominate religions of today are the result of random outcomes and events that gobbled up the other 1,000s of religions along the way. a chance happening here or there or one battle goes the other one, we could have completely different dominate religions.

the point is these man made constructs are just that, created by men. religion was inevitable and we seem to view it through the narrow prism of a few hundred years. religions surviving this long don't make them right, just makes them the lucky winners of randomness.
    Points Awarded:

zizoudane10 gave statnerds 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

ACoochy gave statnerds 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: bigtymer56

brainfreeze
    Meaning
    brainfreeze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    lol
    Smh...

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

life is a frikkin superstition.
    if this ain't weird enough, i don't know what is.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

A new season of Through the worm hole with Morgan Freeman is coming on again. He will be discussing about this
    very subject. Are we here through random evolution or was/ is there a higher power? Tune in to find out.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11654

Quote Originally Posted by ACoochy View Post
    I do see religion as a form of superstition...
    Deuteronomy, 5:12 says it best, "ACoochy is a a fagg0t."

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

religion is necessary to keep stupid fukks in line.

ACoochy

Quote Originally Posted by ByeShea View Post
    Deuteronomy, 5:12 says it best, "ACoochy is a a fagg0t."
    Last edited by Ihidalgo; 05-18-16 at 12:35 PM.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20469

Let's imagine that somehow you grew to adulthood without ever hearing about god. Then someone tells you about it. He hits the main points from the bible: the talking snake with the apple, the boat with two of every species, dividing a sea, virgin giving birth, coming back to life after three days of being dead, etc.

Would you believe it or think that person was fukkin nuts?

Snowball

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieDog View Post
    Let's imagine that somehow you grew to adulthood without ever hearing about god. Then someone tells you about it. He hits the main points from the bible: the talking snake with the apple, the boat with two of every species, dividing a sea, virgin giving birth, coming back to life after three days of being dead, etc.

Would you believe it or think that person was fukkin nuts?
    Just because you don't know the truth doesn't mean everyone else whose ever lived
    doesn't know the truth.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Just because you don't know the truth doesn't mean everyone else whose ever lived
    doesn't know the truth.
    An unproven fantasy - regardless of how many believe, is not truth.

Astrology is also believed to varying degrees by millions (or even billions).

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Religion is not superstition. It is propaganda. It's how you control the masses.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatedOne View Post
    Religion could be observed as nothing but control, after all you are seeking something outside yourself.
    Is willingly submitting to the Truth control? Said a different way, if you choose the truth over falsehood, being able to choose falsehood all the while, is that "control"?

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

Quote Originally Posted by statnerds View Post
    what he said...

superstition or not, it is important to keep in mind that the dominate religions of today are the result of random outcomes and events that gobbled up the other 1,000s of religions along the way. a chance happening here or there or one battle goes the other one, we could have completely different dominate religions.

the point is these man made constructs are just that, created by men. religion was inevitable and we seem to view it through the narrow prism of a few hundred years. religions surviving this long don't make them right, just makes them the lucky winners of randomness.
    Some things are created by men, some things are not.

Why is religion at all inevitable? It is only inevitable if there is something that points toward unmeasureable things, statnerd. That point falsifies your hypothesis and explanations for things, not that you explained anything at all.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

It's a mental disorder

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

A thought is any thought you want it to be.
    Therefore
    A religion is any religion you want it to be.

However your thought process depends on what part of the world you were born in..

ACoochy

Quote Originally Posted by StackinGreen View Post
    Some things are created by men, some things are not.

Why is religion at all inevitable? It is only inevitable if there is something that points toward unmeasureable things, statnerd. That point falsifies your hypothesis and explanations for things, not that you explained anything at all.
    Because stacker, like in today's world drama sells but made up drama sells more...

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

Was it Karl Marx that said "Religion is the opiate of the masses"?

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

I believe religion has distorted the truth for way too long now. The true word of God is still found from within, going to lavishly decorated buildings to "worship" and listen to one man speak is ludacris imho. It is very hard to feel that presence in this day and age but I hope you all find it before your time here ends.
    Points Awarded:

marcoloco gave Ra77er 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: rkelly110, and marcoloco

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

We inevitably have a problem of terms in threads like this. First of all, are all "religions" the same? Clearly not. I have a vague idea of what people say when they use that term, but the detrimental thing about it is that they say "religion" with a blanket term. Do they really mean paganism? Are they against "religions" that claim that you can exchange this for that or manipulate God to do things?

Some religions do this more than others, some don't do it at all, and some human beings within the said religions do their own thing, incorporating various degrees of teachings and/or their paganism as desired.

Saying "religion" is a problem is as silly as saying "All paths lead to God or the truth". It's just asinine. But let me finish by saying I don't believe in "religion" because to me, by definition is that "religion" is man made. There are faiths that are not man made.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

Quote Originally Posted by ACoochy View Post
    is the war on drugs added in there? lol those are some crazy numbers tho
    Last edited by Ihidalgo; 05-18-16 at 12:35 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ra77er

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

depending on the religion some can be considered superstition. Superstition is based on "you having the power" just like some religions also believe. Other beliefs are based on God or someone else being in control.

Rollins08
    Rollins08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

People need religion so that they can believe that this isn't the end. People need some kind of rules and order in their world. It's senseless arguing religion because nobody ever gets convinced one way or the other.

Snowball

Quote Originally Posted by muldoon View Post
    An unproven fantasy - regardless of how many believe, is not truth.

Astrology is also believed to varying degrees by millions (or even billions).
    lol. you are in no position to say what truth is.

Buckandadime
    Act as if
    Buckandadime's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1189

People practice Santeria and that's a religion.. What makes that different from Catholicism? Well, ok, maybe they are not a group of pedophiles that don't base everything on fear.

1234 ... Last