grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

blue crab thread

What happened to it? I spend my time trying to help this guy out and it gets zapped? For what? Petey just wanted advice on how to catch blue crabs, not the kind that live in the nether regions of dirty folk. If you really didn't like some of the posts in it, why can't you just split the thread and move the posts you don't like? Still seems like 85% of the posts in the forum are worse than the posts in that thread. SMH

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

what do you like better Crawfish, Dungenous Crab, Florida Lobster, Main Lobster, or Blue Crab?

last time i had blue crab they were already dead and on ice when i got them and then i re-heated them... but are they really that much better when they are freshly steamed alive?

the other issue i had is it sure seemed like a lot of work to get to the meat. I guess it just takes practice to learn how to crack them open the best way...

i'm thinking about trying to go to Baltimore and get some fresh crabs

grease lightnin
    &

We would throw away the dead ones or freeze them for bait, if that tells you anything.

Picking blue crabs is a lot of work and many don't like doing it purely based on that. I started when I was a little kid so I am quick and know how to get a high yield efficiently. It still takes a lot of time but it is part of the deal--it's an event. Hanging out with friends and family; talking and enjoying the time.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Dont cook blue crabs once they are dead. Toss them or crush them up and put them in a killie trap overnight. U will get some eels for striper fishing.

The best are soft shell crabs. I probably buy around 20 of them during the summer.

YorkHunt
    I JUST RELEASED
    YorkHunt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1507

I know this one girl who can give you any color crabs you would like

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by robmpink View Post
    Dont cook blue crabs once they are dead. Toss them or crush them up and put them in a killie trap overnight. U will get some eels for striper fishing.

The best are soft shell crabs. I probably buy around 20 of them during the summer.
    with the softshell crabs does it matter if u buy them live?

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

don't boil soft shell crabs, you eat the whole damn thing, shell and all......

you sautee, pan fry, or fry them whole.... whole different ball game then reg, non-molting crabs

just search it on youtube, I'm sure you'll find hundreds of coon asses/rednecks boiling crabs...... use the coon asses if you want em spicy, cajun style

grease lightnin
    &

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post

Yes these should be live as well.

robmpink
    Update your status

Live is the best. Dont buy any if they are dead. If they are cleaned and froZen, that is an option. Places sell freshly cleaned soft shells, that is ok, if the place is reputable.

robmpink
    Update your status

That is the best option. U could either clean them if u know what to do or ask the place to clean it. In my opionion, the yellow guts give it the most flavor. You may need to specify this to whoever cleans the crabs. If u dont, they may remove the flavorful yellow guts.

robmpink
    Update your status

Response was met for the one after u.