recon1
    Yep
    recon1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5637

Guns…this thread is anything Gun related…….

We can discuss the weapon you like/love want to purchase or one you were assigned in the military, but mainly civilian versions of firearms.

I' am a pistol person, don't have a huge collection, but i do some repair work for people i like for free therefore, i get my hands on some interesting pieces. Lately the pistol that's earned my respect is the Colt .25 model 1908 'gamblers pocket pistol' made in 1920.

We can also discuss caliber and i'll give you my ballistics knowledge of best caliber etc.

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

recon

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

my fav gun is my 7mm mag I inherited from my Grandfather.......... made by Remington in the late 60's or early 70's, I still use it today....

responsible for the deaths of over 60-70 nice South Texas Whitetails...... like this one:

mcmullen 8 pt-berry ranch.jpg

recon1
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel_CashFlow View Post

The girl shooting in you're post reminds me of a video i saw few years ago. Called Women shooting fails or something like that. The men in those videos should be ashamed for allowing those girls to nearly kill themselves, but was funny. Reminded me why women need to be in the kitchen though.

Auto Donk

Auto Donk

this one is more like it:

recon1
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Donk View Post
    my fav gun is my 7mm mag I inherited from my Grandfather.......... made by Remington in the late 60's or early 70's, I still use it today....

responsible for the deaths of over 60-70 nice South Texas Whitetails...... like this one:

mcmullen 8 pt-berry ranch.jpg
    Good kill. What a beautiful animal and I'm sure it tasted great.

The 7mm is by far one of those rounds that is under the radar.

When i went to Texas last to visit some coworkers few years ago, one guy had an Uncle in South Texas with a couple thousand acre ranch. He asked if we wanted to kill some feral hogs. I personally shot 5 with the last one almost getting me first. I was using a Ruger GP100 (I believe) chambered in 357. Only had 2 shots left in cylinder and first missed pissed hog off and he turned looked at me and ran towards me full stride, with only 1 round left i shot hog within 10 yards of me square between eyes and he dropped skidded into me and i about crapped my pants.

Auto Donk

Quote Originally Posted by recon1 View Post
    Good kill. What a beautiful animal and I'm sure it tasted great.

The 7mm is by far one of those rounds that is under the radar.

When i went to Texas last to visit some coworkers few years ago, one guy had an Uncle in South Texas with a couple thousand acre ranch. He asked if we wanted to kill some feral hogs. I personally shot 5 with the last one almost getting me first. I was using a Ruger GP100 (I believe) chambered in 357. Only had 2 shots left in cylinder and first missed pissed hog off and he turned looked at me and ran towards me full stride, with only 1 round left i shot hog within 10 yards of me square between eyes and he dropped skidded into me and i about crapped my pants.
    nice.....

that a black "thing" in the background of that 8 pt photo, with a white stripe around it's neck, is a hog I dusted at about 300 yds after I way-layed that buck......

here's my fav. S Tex. buck, from back in 2004, also with the 7mm mag..... alot of hunters in texas, particularly S. Tex, use that caliber...:

ten point.jpg

and yes, I do all of my own butchering..... tho I do send out the "trimmings," once I've done everything the way I like it, out to have it made into sausage (mixing it 50-50 with pork)....

recon1
    Yep

nice.....

that a black "thing" in the background of that 8 pt photo, with a white stripe around it's neck, is a hog I dusted at about 300 yds after I way-layed that buck......

here's my fav. S Tex. buck, from back in 2004, also with the 7mm mag..... alot of hunters in texas, particularly S. Tex, use that caliber...:

ten point.jpg

and yes, I do all of my own butchering..... tho I do send out the "trimmings," once I've done everything the way I like it, out to have it made into sausage (mixing it 50-50 with pork)....
    Man, you sure have killed some real wall hangers. I've never killed 'The wall hanger' yet.

The best tasting deer i had was ones mixed with hog. You really started a rumble in my gut now.

Buddy of mine killed a hog in South Florida back in the late 90's near Lake Okeechobee, Fl. we butchered it on spot because of heat outside, packed with dry ice and donated it to the soup kitchen in Belle Glade.
    Was the best tasting hog i ever had. So, few months latter was telling same buddy how much i liked it. We killed few more that day and he cut the gut open on one sow and belly was full of sugar cane and citrus fruits.
    Was like natural marination. I know when i brought those pigs back home to Miami my Cuban friends would show up in numbers.
    Anymore good South Texas hunt pics?

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11654

Quote Originally Posted by recon1 View Post
    He asked if we wanted to kill some feral hogs.
    1) Why are feral hogs so prevalent across the south - are there no bag limits?

2) Are they good to eat? As in, good for BBQ?

recon1
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by ByeShea View Post
    1) Why are feral hogs so prevalent across the south - are there no bag limits?

2) Are they good to eat? As in, good for BBQ?
    Not sure why they are prevalent in the South, but i do know the numbers are growing in Northern regions just as fast. I'm not aware of any state that has issued a limit. In fact most states encourage a culling and have no limitations on weapons used or how many one harvest.
    They absolutely destroy farm land and livestock. They procreate at a level of rabbits.

The taste will vary. Will also depend on how you prep the meat, but that goes for store bought meat as well.

When i would bring them back home to Miami i had a girlfriends Uncle who was of Latin decent prep the meat and he'd put the pig in the ground after a days worth of soaking in fruit juices. Absolutely beat anything I've ever bought from a store. So, in my opinion it is superb all natural meat with no fillers….can't beat that in a day with food full of GMO's.

IlluminatedOne
    What you think you become
    IlluminatedOne's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1738

In my early twenties used to deer hunt a lot in norther Wisconsin, enjoyed using .308 or my lever action .30-.30. The lever action kicked like a freakin mule. Now these days when I have the extra time enjoy shooting .220 swift, just recently had a match grade barrel put on. Love that rifle, possible groupings at .25 inch or smaller. Enjoy reloading as well. Grew up as a kid with my old man reloading. First time hunting was at 12 yrs old, pheasant hunting with a .410 gauge lol.

Auto Donk

my second favorite buck..... near encinal, tx, back in the nineties.... 145 B&C

encinal ten point.jpg

Auto Donk

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatedOne View Post
    In my early twenties used to deer hunt a lot in norther Wisconsin, enjoyed using .308 or my lever action .30-.30. The lever action kicked like a freakin mule. Now these days when I have the extra time enjoy shooting .220 swift, just recently had a match grade barrel put on. Love that rifle, possible groupings at .25 inch or smaller. Enjoy reloading as well. Grew up as a kid with my old man reloading. First time hunting was at 12 yrs old, pheasant hunting with a .410 gauge lol.
    sweet.... my first deer rifle was a .308 automatic.... wouldn't recommend it for a kid, but I did do well with it.... bolt action rifles generally so much more accurate than automatics.....

first shotgun also a .410 with a full choke; hardly a benefit to a young hunter, but killed hundreds of doves with it before upgrading to a .20 then .12 gauge in my teen years.

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6501

Have a couple glocks 9 and 45mm but looking to get an AR. Any suggestions there are so damn many

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

1st buck I shot was with a .243.... Only a 4-point but a big-ass deer. 2nd buck I was using a .308. My Dad uses an 8mm... goddamn thing's a cannon.

Haven't hunted since I was 18 (it's been a while). Only gun I have in my possession now is my grandfather's Winchester 16 gauge. It's over 70 years old

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

two colt combat commanders--one is tricked out a bit and the other only has a few wilson combat mods.

sig p229 in the 9mm

sig scorpion .45

and my bear country backup:

me with my turkey shotgun:

me with my bear (bow hunting in Washington:
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 10-08-15 at 10:36 AM. Reason: image does not exist
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Auto Donk, and recon1

Auto Donk

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Proffett View Post
    1st buck I shot was with a .243.... Only a 4-point but a big-ass deer. 2nd buck I was using a .308. My Dad uses an 8mm... goddamn thing's a cannon.

Haven't hunted since I was 18 (it's been a while). Only gun I have in my possession now is my grandfather's Winchester 16 gauge. It's over 70 years old
    that sixteen might be worth something now.... i have an old ithica 16 gauge, and wish I had my grandmother's remington pump 20 gague..... probably killed over 2000 dove with it during my high school years; she was quite a shot with it as well.....

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

recon1
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by freeVICK View Post
    Have a couple glocks 9 and 45mm but looking to get an AR. Any suggestions there are so damn many
    I do ballistics testing, you're 9mm's are the best rounds. 9mm in a 147gr are as effective or more effective than a slower 230gr .45 and you'll have a higher magazine capacity.

On those evil "Assault" (Haha) rifles AKA: AR-15, just make sure you get a chrome lined barrel. I favor the Colt AR-15 M-4 LE6920 version. Then you have cheaper models like the Palmetto which is a very well made rifle and something i wouldn't be ashamed of. If you have any further questions when time comes to purchase an AR and need advice just come here and ask, i'll be more than happy to see the Second Amendment be exercised.

recon1
    Yep

Auto, you sure get the good bucks. I don't have anything photo worthy.

recon1
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
    two colt combat commanders--one is tricked out a bit and the other only has a few wilson combat mods.

sig p229 in the 9mm

sig scorpion .45

and my bear country backup:

me with my turkey shotgun:

me with my bear (bow hunting in Washington:
    I'd love to here how you harvested that bear.

Wheel guns are and will always be special to me. I see you like or at least you own some Sig pistols. Friend loaned me a new Sig Sauer p-320 and that was the best pistol I've ever shot. Pistol shot better than me.
    I've been partial to a Sig p226 and would/have trusted my life with it.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 10-08-15 at 10:36 AM. Reason: image does not exist

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

did u eat the bear?

High3rEl3m3nt

Bear sausage and it's damn good. I give it to people and they love it. Then they ask what kind of meat is it and I tell them it's black bear. They never believe me. I did some bear steaks, but the sausage is where it's at. Credit the guy who processed it.

@bear, I would never hunt something if I didn't intend on eating it.

I bought the sig p229 for my wife as a gift, but she prefers my .45s. The sig scorpion is my favorite.
    Last edited by High3rEl3m3nt; 02-16-15 at 12:12 AM.

High3rEl3m3nt

My brother bought a ruger mini 14. What a great firearm. Lately, they've been buying the toys and I've been using them. Will be a little while before I buy anything else.

Auto Donk

killed a pack of coyotes (five of em) with my best friend from high school's mini 14....... emptied a 30 round clip on em; i think one escaped, only found four

recon1
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
    My brother bought a ruger mini 14. What a great firearm. Lately, they've been buying the toys and I've been using them. Will be a little while before I buy anything else.
    Older Mini-14's were inacurrate. Hopefully they bought newer versions. Yes, the newer 14's are super nice. I'm pretty sure the 14's will only shoot .223 and not the 556. Both bullets are same diameter, no difference in size, but 556 is set at a higher pressure.

recon1
    Yep

killed a pack of coyotes (five of em) with my best friend from high school's mini 14....... emptied a 30 round clip on em; i think one escaped, only found four
    Last year i downloaded an iPhone app for coyote calls. The one i loaded was the rabbit being killed. Had a coyote problem at the time. I thought this was just a novelty app. Within 10 seconds i had a coyote from 10 o'clock and another from my 3 o'clock running full sprint toward me. I didn't think app would work so i didn't even bring a firearm. I immediately jumped up and turned my flashlight on in order to stop them.

Auto Donk

yote calls work very well; particularly wounded rabbit (almost sounds like a baby screaming).........

when i need to stop a good buck, i often use the same type call (which i voice), almost always stops a deer in its tracks..... never understood hunters saying they couldn't get a shot on this deer or that deer..... sometimes YOU have to do the stopping..... making a sound like a wounded rabbit stops all but the absolute most sex crazed bucks.....

High3rEl3m3nt

@recon1, it was one of the newer mini 14's.

louisvillekid
    slummin it
    louisvillekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3822

I got a bad azz pump action single shot pellet rifle. it like 30+ years old. still can pick off pigeons n whatnot.

Auto Donk

hogs are so damn rampant in texas, i've always wanted to create a "Hunter's gone Wild" video, and set up a feeder about a mile away, wait til about twenty of those bastards are chowing down on corn, and hit em with a mortar shell..... having cam tracker/video of the blast site.....

be sweet to see a whole herd of em go up in smoke at once.......

SoCalFisher
    SoCalFisher's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3141

GUNS! Nothing better! Looking to get my first AR, I've got the bug, seems like everyone wants one now though, whatever I don't care. I want one. Since I live in this communist state it'll unfortunately be CA compliant. But I, still, want one. Looking at an LMT. My local gunshop seems to be pretty high on them anyways. Thoughts recon?

recon1
    Yep

hogs are so damn rampant in texas, i've always wanted to create a "Hunter's gone Wild" video, and set up a feeder about a mile away, wait til about twenty of those bastards are chowing down on corn, and hit em with a mortar shell..... having cam tracker/video of the blast site.....

be sweet to see a whole herd of em go up in smoke at once.......
    Someone i know was telling me they give guided helicopter hunts now. Might check into that

12 Last