DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7903

First 'poo bus' goes into service

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-30115137

UK's first 'poo bus' goes into service between Bristol and Bath

The 40-seat "Bio-Bus" runs on biomethane gas generated through the treatment of sewage and food waste

The UK's first bus powered entirely by human and food waste has gone into service between Bristol and Bath.

The 40-seat "Bio-Bus" runs on biomethane gas generated through the treatment of sewage and food waste.
    The eco-friendly vehicle can travel up to 300km (186 miles) on one tank of gas, which takes the annual waste of about five people to produce.

It is run by tour operator Bath Bus Company and will shuttle people between Bristol Airport and Bath city centre.
    The biomethane gas is generated at Bristol sewage treatment works in Avonmouth, which is run by GENeco, a subsidiary of Wessex Water.

GENeco general manager Mohammed Saddiq said: "Gas-powered vehicles have an important role to play in improving air quality in UK cities but the Bio-Bus goes further than that and is actually powered by people living in the local area, including quite possibly those on the bus itself.

• A single passenger's annual food and sewage waste would fuel the Bio-Bus for 37 miles (60km)
    • Its combustion engine is similar in design to diesel equivalents in conventional buses
    • Compressed gas is stored in dome-like tanks on the roof of the Bio-Bus
    • The gas is generated through anaerobic digestion - where oxygen starved bacteria breaks down biodegradable material to produce methane-rich biogas
    • To power a vehicle, the biogas undergoes "upgrading", where carbon dioxide is removed and propane added
    • Impurities are removed to produce virtually odour free emissions
    • Compared to conventional diesel vehicles, up to 30% less carbon dioxide is emitted

Green capitalThe service from the airport to Bath carries about 10,000 passengers each month.

Bath Bus Company's Collin Field, said: "With so much attention being directed towards improving air quality generally, the public reaction to the appearance of this bus on a service between a world heritage city and an airport will further focus on the potential for this particular fuel."

He said the bus was being launched at a very "appropriate" time, as Bristol is to become the European Green Capital next year.
    Bristol sewage treatment works processes around 75 million cubic metres of sewage waste and 35,000 tonnes of food waste each year.

A total of 17 million cubic metres of biomethane, enough to power 8,300 homes, is generated annually at the plant through a process known as anaerobic digestion.

let the one-lines begin!
    Last edited by DwightShrute; 11-22-14 at 12:18 AM.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

I am hoping that in my lifetime that I am able to pee into my car's fuel tank every morning and get 50 MPG.

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

Ha! Gotta' love the wrap on the bus that shows people sitting on the john!

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10542

I wonder if, instead of bus seats, they sit on toilets. Looking at the side of the bus makes you believe the bus is a john.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9082

You dont pay in money to ride, you just have to drop a deuce

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I am hoping that in my lifetime that I am able to pee *ejaculate* into my car's fuel tank every morning and get 50 MPG.
    Let's not be coy here... might as well just come out and say what we're all really wishing for ^^

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by chipper View Post
    Ha! Gotta' love the wrap on the bus that shows people sitting on the john!
    rediculous