BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Quote Originally Posted by brainfreeze View Post
    It’s not science though, look up james m. Tour (Nano scientist) believes in God, Raymond damadian (inventor and scientist) also a creationist .. so you can’t make science the excuse because it’s not the overall position of scientist ..
    Most scientists do not believe in God. In fact, scientists are less likely to believe in God. Finding a hand full of scientists that claim to believe in God doesn't meant that's the overall view of science.

I've listed over and over why I don't believe in God. It has nothing to do with being a good person. A person isn't "evil" or a bad human being if they don't believe in God.

I live in the heart of the Bible belt. I'm around religious people all the time. Some of them are very good people but most of them I come in contact with are hypocrites. They do horrible things then goto church on Sunday and act holier than thou. It's really ironic. Then when I get into discussion with them, I quickly find that I know more about religion than they do. Not all, but most.

If all of these people that claim to "believe in God" really believe it 100%, they would live their life differently but they don't. I think some of it is that they want acceptance from society. Being "religious" and constantly telling people your're "religious" makes them feel better about themselves and portrays a positive image. Then, just in case they're right, they're doing all these things so they can have "eternal" life and walk on streets of gold.

It all seems very selfish and narcissistic to me.

If you believe in God, you should never goto the hospital and use science. You should just pray like they did 2000 years ago.

If you believe in God, you shouldn't work for money. You should live off the land and roam around the world spreading the word. Do you?
    Last edited by BigDofBA; 06-09-18 at 09:34 AM.

brainfreeze
    Meaning
    brainfreeze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    Most scientists do not believe in God. In fact, scientists are less likely to believe in God. Finding a hand full of scientists that claim to believe in God doesn't meant that's the overall view of science.
    My point is that ALL scientist do not agree with you, period. Some very influential people believe the opposite of you, they believe Christ.

, I quickly find that I know more about religion than they do. Not all, but most.
    not to get down on you but you might know some things about the Bible but you obviously don’t understand it and your next sentence I’m about to speak on shows that...

. Then, just in case they're right, they're doing all these things so they can have "eternal" life and walk on streets of gold
    Isaiah 64:6
    6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Our rightouesness is of filthy rags ... no one will boast bigd, it’s a gift. Life’s a gift, the blessing of the Holy Spirit working through a individual is a gift. No one will earn their way to heaven on their own accord. You don’t understand the Holy Spirit, and that’s ok..... but don’t trick yourself into thinking people are just naive, ignorant, and gullible. You will only be continuing to eliminate truth in your life and be saturated with lies in the maze of a matrix the devil has purposefully set before you.

If you believe in God, you should never goto the hospital and use science. You should just pray like they did 2000 years ago.
    Nonsense ... We (Christians) just realize Jesus is the ultimate healer... He saved my life, and these are the facts... I should be dead or doing long while in a prison some where, for continually destroying myself. God, Jesus, and Holy Spirit had other plans, I thank Him.
    Matthew 9:12
    12 But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.

Isaiah 38:21

21 For Isaiah had said, Let them take a lump of figs, and lay it for a plaister upon the boil, and he shall recover

There were also different remedies but meds were used alongside strong faith in GOD. You have accepted ideas that just aren’t true and they give you opinions that just aren’t right.
    . If you believe in God, you shouldn't work for money. You should live off the land and roam around the world spreading the word. Do you?

Yes, I believe these words are spreading far past where I roam, and I consider it work that (I’m not getting paid for) which is fine ... God takes care of me. It’s not about what I can do but what God allows me the ability to do. Do you know why God didn’t accept Cain’s sacrifices ... even though he WORKED real hard to bring them to God. It was all about i, i, i, ... look what i-can (caIn) ... while Able (Abel) says look what God has gave for me and allowed me to do.

if you want to preach and give people the idea “ to think for themselves “ that’s fine... because the ones who will, will humbly realize you don’t have any of this figured out. Still have love for you though bigd, and hope you come around to the fact, you’re wrong... ❤️
    Last edited by brainfreeze; 06-14-18 at 02:42 AM.

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Praying to god that a busty girl or really cute falls into my life.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

If science is the answer to God, just turn on the science channel. All the different scenarios they come up with
    for anything is beyond belief. Like they are making it up as they go along and hope one sticks.

They can't even get space and planets right let alone explain God.

If you are an atheist, please don't bring up science to explain God.

Nitrogen
    Chasing
    Nitrogen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 401

Quote Originally Posted by rkelly110 View Post

Mankind's first powered flight was 115-120 years ago. The Hubble telescope is less than 30 years old. CT Scanners are less than 50 years old. These advances are basically yesterday in our history, and look at the progress they have allowed us to make.
    When dealing with distances and time that are not within our current reach, theories are put forth to be challenged (and when possible, tested to prove or disprove)

Show me one real world situation (Volcanos, Earthquakes, drought, weather prediction, medicine, understanding of the composition of the moon) where understanding was moved forward by religion and not science.

You want science to explain God. People, without any proof, believe in God. Yet even amongst the same religion, many people don't agree on the most basic things (is he a loving god or a vengeful God. Is the bible really the word of God, even the parts we don't like to bring up. How can an omnipotent God perform miracles, yet sit idly during atrocities etc)

Science can pose theories as to why people make up God. But if you believe in something incredible, and I don't, the onus is on you to prove it's existence.
    Last edited by Nitrogen; 06-14-18 at 12:18 PM.

BigDofBA

If science is the answer to God, just turn on the science channel. All the different scenarios they come up with
    for anything is beyond belief. Like they are making it up as they go along and hope one sticks.

The aim of science isn’t to explain God. Just like the aim of science isn’t to explain the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I guess talking snakes, 800 year old people, and walking on water is believable but testable theories about physics aren’t?

It’s also ironic that you make fun of science for “all the variations”.

Are you Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, Pentecostal, etc?

Are you Mormon?

Are you Muslim? Sunni Muslim or Shi’a Muslim?

Are you a Hindu or Budist?

Do you read the Quran, Book of Mormon, Torrah, or the Bible?

If you read the Bible which version do you read? American Standard, King James, Amplified, English, etc?

Religion has thousands of variations....What a funny comment you made about Science.
    Last edited by BigDofBA; 06-14-18 at 11:15 PM.

rkelly110

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogen View Post
    Mankind's first powered flight was 115-120 years ago. The Hubble telescope is less than 30 years old. CT Scanners are less than 50 years old. These advances are basically yesterday in our history, and look at the progress they have allowed us to make.
    When dealing with distances and time that are not within our current reach, theories are put forth to be challenged (and when possible, tested to prove or disprove)

Show me one real world situation (Volcanos, Earthquakes, drought, weather prediction, medicine, understanding of the composition of the moon) where understanding was moved forward by religion and not science.

You want science to explain God. People, without any proof, believe in God. Yet even amongst the same religion, many people don't agree on the most basic things (is he a loving god or a vengeful God. Is the bible really the word of God, even the parts we don't like to bring up. How can an omnipotent God perform miracles, yet sit idly during atrocities etc)

Science can pose theories as to why people make up God. But if you believe in something incredible, and I don't, the onus is on you to prove it's existence.
    Can't prove there's a god except for Jesus who said he's the son of, but if you want proof of a life after death, look
    no further than your nearest google search. I would believe someone today than a book written by men a thousand
    years after Christ's death.

rkelly110

The aim of science isn’t to explain God. Just like the aim of science isn’t to explain the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I guess talking snakes, 800 year old people, and walking on water is believable but testable theories about physics aren’t?

It’s also ironic that you make fun of science for “all the variations”.

Are you Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, Pentecostal, etc?

Are you Mormon?

Are you Muslim? Sunni Muslim or Shi’a Muslim?

Are you a Hindu or Budist?

Do you read the Quran, Book of Mormon, Torrah, or the Bible?

If you read the Bible which version do you read? American Standard, King James, Amplified, English, etc?

Religion has thousands of variations....What a funny comment you made about Science.
    If you're a grown adult that believes in the spaghetti monster, the local phycologist (science) could help you out
    with a pill (science) that as we all know isn't exact. Throwing anything against the wall hoping something sticks.

That's what I see watching the science channel. The same can be said about organized religion. I told you guys my story
    about the pastor. What he was teaching all those years was wrong compared to what those people who told him
    their experiences with life after death.

I was made to go to church (protestant) until I was 18. So I believe in Jesus and what he stands for, but saw much
    hypocricy and haven't been back since.

I broke off and went with the occult. By occult, I mean looking at alternative sources. Psychics who communicate
    directly with those who passed who can actually tell you what's up. Real life stories of those who died and came back
    telling their stories.

If science is repetitive to find a common finding, those telling their stories is also repetitive. Most are exactly the same.
    The other side of science is they are saying the mind is playing games with the individual when they die.

A recent scientific study showed the mind stayed active, I forget how long, after the body died.

So, I guess religion and science boils down to how you say tomato or tomoto. Everyone has their preference.

Nitrogen
    Chasing

Can't prove there's a god except for Jesus who said he's the son of, but if you want proof of a life after death, look
    no further than your nearest google search. I would believe someone today than a book written by men a thousand
    years after Christ's death.
    Please continue. You believe google searches of people who ....say they are God? Claim to have met God?

There are people (via google) who believe the earth is flat...that aliens have stopped a nuclear war...that the gov't puts drugs in chickens to sterilize people. Because it's available via google, that makes it believable?

sourtwist
    not a non pro
    sourtwist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 544

Please continue. You believe google searches of people who ....say they are God? Claim to have met God?

There are people (via google) who believe the earth is flat...that aliens have stopped a nuclear war...that the gov't puts drugs in chickens to sterilize people. Because it's available via google, that makes it believable?
    Some of what you think isn't believable is still possible. There's no reason to dismiss anything unless you have seen it with your own eyes.

Believe it or not, many people will knowingly, and unknowingly mislead others.
    Points Awarded:

b1slickguy gave sourtwist 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: b1slickguy

rkelly110

What, do you need me to tell you what words to search? Here. "Life after death stories." In print or Youtube, your choice. Find the short versions, less embellished. That's if you will look.

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Doctors have stated...the people saying I saw a light...could very well be the brain going into a psychotic state..lack of oxygen to brain
    Last edited by nyplayer33; 06-16-18 at 09:50 PM.

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by sourtwist View Post
    Some of what you think isn't believable is still possible. There's no reason to dismiss anything unless you have seen it with your own eyes.

Believe it or not, many people will knowingly, and unknowingly mislead others.
    I know people can’t walk on water, rise from the dead, live to be 800, or live in whales.

I also know that snakes can’t talk.

If you believe in any of that, the burden of proof lies on you to prove it. We have cameras now. It’s so weird all of this magic quit happening about the time we became advanced enough to easily document it. You would think the “loving” Christian God would have made it really easy to see the truth instead of making it so vague, confusing, and easily misinterpreted....

I guess my main problem with relgion is the logic used to defend it.

I can jump 8000 feet in the air. It’s true because you have no proof that I can’t. I’ll type up my testimony on how God gave me power to do it and put it on the internet so you can find it with google. There is no evidence I can’t jump 8000 feet high so it’s true until proven otherwise. Just because you didn’t see it, it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Have faith.
    Last edited by BigDofBA; 06-16-18 at 06:53 PM.

sourtwist
    not a non pro

You know a lot BigD

All I know is that once i discovered that i know nothing....it was the first time i realized that i knew something

Also, i don't use google...i use duckduckgo

BTW...i am not religious at all. I do have respect for the fact that others are. My kids don't go to religion, and I have never taken them to church. That is up to them when they are old enough.
    Last edited by sourtwist; 06-16-18 at 10:21 PM.

sourtwist
    not a non pro

There is a deeper meaning to life and our existence...but there is a very powerful force that stands in the way of us learning the answers to all of the questions we have.

I would never blame someone for not believing in God. The only thing I would ask them to do is simply look around. Can't miss him.

Nitrogen
    Chasing

......stories...
    Fixed it for you.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...tian-publisher

Boy Who Came Back From Heaven author sues book's Christian publisher

Alex Malarkey claims he has been financially exploited over bestselling account of meeting Jesus ‘concocted’ by his father

Nitrogen
    Chasing

The only thing I would ask them to do is simply look around. Can't miss him.
    Others can't see God, but you can see God so clearly you can tell the gender?

BigDofBA

There is a deeper meaning to life and our existence...
    I hear this a lot but people can't explain why there "has to be a meaning to life."

As an Atheist, I determine what my meaning and purpose is here. My meaning is to be the best father and husband I can be. That's what I live for.

Life was actually so much more confusing for me when I was religious. Now I have peace. Instead of have internal conflicts about pleasing an invisible deity that we don't know exists, I have control and take care of those I love around me.

I would never blame someone for not believing in God. The only thing I would ask them to do is simply look around. Can't miss him.
    I don't blame people for being religious either. I just challenge their beliefs like they challenge mine.

I was once Baptist (because that's what my family was), then I was protestant, then I believed in something "greater", then I became honest with myself and quit blindly following what others tried to shove down my throat. We are all atheist until someone tells us what to worship.

You say to simply look around and you can't miss God. When I look around I see natural disasters, disease, death, destruction, starvation, and suffering. Innocent children die every minute all over the world. Innocent people die and their families suffering.

No loving God would watch innocent children die every minute or banish 99% of humanity to eternal hell and suffering because they guessed the wrong religion, were born into the wrong religion, or chose not to believe because of the evidence they had. It's just all BS.
    Last edited by BigDofBA; 06-17-18 at 11:38 PM.

RangeFinder
    RangeFinder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2697

I hear this a lot but people can't explain why there "has to be a meaning to life."

As an Atheist, I determine what my meaning and purpose is here. My meaning is to be the best father and husband I can be. That's what I live for.

Life was actually so much more confusing for me when I was religious. Now I have peace. Instead of have internal conflicts about pleasing an invisible deity that we don't know exists, I have control and take care of those I love around me.

I don't blame people for being religious either. I just challenge their beliefs like they challenge mine.

I was once Baptist (because that's what my family was), then I was protestant, then I believed in something "greater", then I became honest with myself and quit blindly following what others tried to shove down my throat. We are all atheist until someone tells us what to worship.

You say to simply look around and you can't miss God. When I look around I see natural disasters, disease, death, destruction, starvation, and suffering. Innocent children die every minute all over the world. Innocent people die and their families suffering.

No loving God would watch innocent children die every minute or banish 99% of humanity to eternal hell and suffering because they guessed the wrong religion, were born into the wrong religion, or chose not to believe because of the evidence they had. It's just all BS.
    Big D

We live in a broken world. People are going to die. Kids are going to die. GOD offered us a provision and it's up us to accept it or reject it. I hope you accept some day.

God Bless you

brainfreeze
    Meaning

Life was actually so much more confusing for me when I was religious.
    Life does hold meaning ... you just haven’t found that reason yet... GOD.

“ be the best father you can be “ how? What’s best? Where do you get the idea of best and worse? Where do you think law and morals come from?

Life continues to be Bahama water clear as you get further in good understanding with GOD, not religions. Seek the truth and you’ll find it or be settled with the idea, that you are going to hang your hat on these boat load of excuses why you don’t believe Him, practically calling me a liar, and His Words also ...

it wont fair well this way in the end big d ... and I tell you that in love man, cheers.

BigDofBA

Life does hold meaning ... you just haven’t found that reason yet... GOD.

“ be the best father you can be “ how? What’s best? Where do you get the idea of best and worse? Where do you think law and morals come from?

Life continues to be Bahama water clear as you get further in good understanding with GOD, not religions. Seek the truth and you’ll find it or be settled with the idea, that you are going to hang your hat on these boat load of excuses why you don’t believe Him, practically calling me a liar, and His Words also ...

it wont fair well this way in the end big d ... and I tell you that in love man, cheers.
    If people get their morals from the Bible that explains why the world is such a messed up place.

The Bible talks of murdering people that work on Sundays, stoning women that aren’t virgins, sacrificing children, incest, and killing homosexuals.

As for the things I actually abide by like don’t steal or murder, I don’t need an ancient book to tell me those things are wrong. It’s common sense.

If the only thing keeping you from killing people or stealing their possessions is a 2000 year old book, that would make me very worried.

As an athiest, I know I only have one life to live and it is precious. As a result, I repsect other human beings right to live a prosperous and peaceful life. As a human, I observe how successful societies work. It isn’t though relgion and stoning like they do in the Middle East..

If your moral compass is based on a fear of punishment (hell) and a hope for reward (heaven) you really aren’t moral or ethical at all.
    Last edited by BigDofBA; 07-12-18 at 12:47 AM.

brainfreeze
    Meaning

If people get their morals from the Bible that explains why the world is such a messed up place.

The Bible talks of murdering people that work on Sundays, stoning women that aren’t virgins, sacrificing children, incest, and killing homosexuals.

As for the things I actually abide by like don’t steal or murder, I don’t need an ancient book to tell me those things are wrong. It’s common sense.

If the only thing keeping you from killing people or stealing their possessions is a 2000 year old book, that would make me very worried.

As an athiest, I know I only have one life to live and it is precious. As a result, I repsect other human beings right to live a prosperous and peaceful life. As a human, I observe how successful societies work. It isn’t though relgion and stoning like they do in the Middle East..

If your moral compass is based on a fear of punishment (hell) and a hope for reward (heaven) you really aren’t moral or ethical at all.
    .. the reason the world is in the shape it’s in, is because even though some believe the majority aren’t obedient and there’s consequences for sin, that consequence is death, dysfunction, and pain.

And we talked about Old Testament and how you either twist or don’t understand it, which I’m not going to constantly repeat. I’ll just say go back, you don’t understand.

And yes, you do need to be told not to steal and murder or it wouldn’t be stealing and it wouldn’t be murder. It’s a law which gives it the authority as a set standard. Yet there’s people that do it everyday knowing there’s law against it.

You always bring up Old Testament which is like giving a half truth, which is kind of deceptive big d, but readers can distinguish what they will with that. We know old law Moses said an eye for an eye but when Jesus came NEW TESTAMENT, He said if someone slap you turn the other cheek, do not repay evil with evil.

they needed better understanding...

and the common sense argument is silly. There has to be a right and a wrong and one has to be able to grow and be taught to know the difference.

Yea, I have one life to live as well, but you plan on yours ending, I don’t. I like and enjoy life, and I know God has special things in store for those that make it into heaven. I don’t do the right thing to get to heaven tho (we went over this), i do it because it’s the truth, it’s the right thing to do and God assist in me doing it and I love it. Helping and service is joy. I get peace from it and others are happy with the help or whatever result as well. Heaven is just thrown in...

hell is the result to the lack of morals and obedience to God. It’s the place where sin finds it’s justice, misery, forever apart with no hope of God left.

BigDofBA

It’s ridiculous that religious people support their positions by quoting the Bible but when Atheists quote the horrible and ridiculous parts of the Bible religious people respond with, “well that’s the Old Testament so it doesn’t count”.

So I guess half of the Bible is false? You either believe it or you don’t. I hate how religious people Cherry pick what they want to believe or preach to others.

If God was perfect and all knowing, he would not need to “amend” his law and have “man” write a new version. He would have gotten it right the first time.

The people that wrote the Bible had no understanding of science, the universe, or how things really work.

There is no evidence for heaven or hell so I’m not going to live my life based on what pre-historic man scribed down.

As much as I would like to have eternal life, I know it’s a fairy tale.

You’re a good guy but it’s not because of the Bible. It’s probably because of your life experiences and being smart enough to realize right from wrong.

brainfreeze
    Meaning

So I guess half of the Bible is false? You either believe it or you don’t. I hate how religious people Cherry pick what they want to believe or preach to others.

If God was perfect and all knowing, he would not need to “amend” his law and have “man” write a new version. He would have gotten it right the first time.

The people that wrote the Bible had no understanding of science, the universe, or how things really work.

It’s ALL true. My point is you do exactly what you say you hate and cherry pick the parts that you’ve built some excuses around. The story of man is a process, there are some exceptions like Moses, Isaiah, different prophets and then Jesus. The law wasn’t wrong in Old Testament, no one can fulfill the whole of the law. Jesus is the answer. He had to teach them what they didn’t understand like healing on the sabbath wasn’t wrong.

So there is no “ new “ version only new clarification of what already was and who He/Jesus was (grace and truth). Jesus expounded on what was right and true. We get to read the whole history of what was and what came to be the New Testament and coming of Jesus was prophesied about for thoussssands of years. The ones who could hear were very aware of what they were witnessing.

And yes they did know science, there is still only running hypothesis that show how they would have built pyramids in Egypt, and coordinated exact spots that they line up with. They mapped out the stars and feast on certain moons. There are old inventions found that say your statement is not truthful.

And yes there is a heaven and hell d, because you turn a blind eye to it doesn’t make it any less real. If you are a good dude then chase the Light, because as it stands you are complacent to the darkness and will eventually be thrown out with it.... “ lukewarm “ isn’t the place to be, so if you’re good then be all that is good and let God live with you.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Amazing facts.

BigDofBA

My point is you do exactly what you say you hate and cherry pick the parts that you’ve built some excuses around.
    You're comparing apples to oranges. I don't believe in any of the Bible. If you're Christian, you should believe the Bible 100%. As an atheist, it's not upon me to defend the ridiculous passages Christians try to ignore. If (insert religion here) tells me (insert relgious book here) is the way to get one's morals and it's the law of mankind, they should probably believe in it 100% and be able to defend passages when they're presented.

So there is no “ new “ version only new clarification of what already was and who He/Jesus was (grace and truth). Jesus expounded on what was right and true.
    I don't really buy into this selective reasoning. When the bible says to stone women that aren't virgins, kill people that work on Sundays, or murder homosexuals....there is really nothing that needs to be "clarified". Those passages are pretty straight forward.

Man, who wrote the Bible, probably figured out they needed to tone back the non-sense a little bit if they wanted to keep people brainwashed. Thus the invented the "new" testament and promised all the riches of heaven.

And yes they did know science, there is still only running hypothesis that show how they would have built pyramids in Egypt, and coordinated exact spots that they line up with. They mapped out the stars and feast on certain moons. There are old inventions found that say your statement is not truthful.
    So you think Egyptians that had polytheistic beliefs and thought pharoahs had divine powers were advanced people? Did they have electricity, internet, smart phones, airplanes, automobiles, heating, air conditioning, modern medicine, etc?

I was basically saying that the people that wrote the Bible, because it was written by man, were not very educated or advanced. You're rebuttal was making a reference to ancient Egyptians who didn't even believe in Christianity. Again, comparing Apples to Oranges.

I appreciate the dialogue with you though. You're civil and come at this from a mature point of view and I can actually have a conversation with you.

brainfreeze
    Meaning

You're comparing apples to oranges. I don't believe in any of the Bible. If you're Christian, you should believe the Bible 100%. As an atheist, it's not upon me to defend the ridiculous passages Christians try to ignore. If (insert religion here) tells me (insert relgious book here) is the way to get one's morals and it's the law of mankind, they should probably believe in it 100% and be able to defend passages when they're presented.
    Na, it’s oranges to oranges, you are just debating from a different perspective. I’m trying to understand your thoughts though. Do you believe women were stoned for adultery or not? Also I don’t have to defend it, the Scriptures stand on their own. I don’t “ ignore “, or deny any of it. Again, it’s ALL true, new and old. You speak on these acts as if it is believable and part of your reasoning for not following while at the same time calling it all unbelievable.

I don't really buy into this selective reasoning. When the bible says to stone women that aren't virgins, kill people that work on Sundays, or murder homosexuals....there is really nothing that needs to be "clarified". Those passages are pretty straight forward.
    Well harming people who worked on Sundays was clarified, it’s not selective reasoning. As for homosexuality and premarital sex, it’s a crime to God, it’s sin, and it’s wrong. These were the consequences, rather harsh, people that did the act knew the law and knew the consequences if they were caught. These are sexual sins that corrupt a God given gift that is in sexual intimacy. You might not think they are wrong but you didn’t make life or sex. We should be looking to keep all good moral conduct, rather than keep selective laws that only apply to us. “ oh, I like the do not kill, do not steal law, but I don’t care for premarital, gay, or adultery law “ it doesn’t work that way...

Man, who wrote the Bible, probably figured out they needed to tone back the non-sense a little bit if they wanted to keep people brainwashed. Thus the invented the "new" testament and promised all the riches of heaven.
    That’s your opinion d, and the probability I will assure you is 0 .. none. Even non-Christian historians agree that there was a man named Jesus who was crucified see Tacitus. The Word became flesh and dwelled amongst us. There was no “ tone back “, Jesus strengthened what was right He said “ if a man so much as looked at another woman lustfully, he has already committed adultery in his heart “. The Old Testament is mostly carnal and the New Testament is mostly spiritual. Jesus had the Holy Ghost remaining with Him as stated in John 1:33 “ and I knew Him not ( John speaking of Holy Ghost because He hadn’t come until Pentecost, so He knew Him not) but He that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the SPIRIT descending, and REMAINING on Him, the same is He which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost. 34 and I saw, and bare record that this is the SON OF GOD.

Heaven and hell aren’t carnal places, they’re spiritual places. The New Testament is a collection of beautiful Words inspired by Gods Holy Spirit. Paul understood the Holy Spirit and was synced in like wifi. He was connected in-depth to the will of God. So I don’t mind talking on Old Testament verses but don’t run from the love of God that’s throughout the Bible.

. So you think Egyptians that had polytheistic beliefs and thought pharoahs had divine powers were advanced people? Did they have electricity, internet, smart phones, airplanes, automobiles, heating, air conditioning, modern medicine, etc?

I was basically saying that the people that wrote the Bible, because it was written by man, were not very educated or advanced. You're rebuttal was making a reference to ancient Egyptians who didn't even believe in Christianity. Again, comparing Apples to Oranges.
    You do realize that Hebrews (Israelites) were slaves in Egypt correct? My point is, there’s things you can’t explain from thousands of years ago that’s science related. Ever heard of a Baghdad battery? They were pretty sophisticated, just because the engine or internet wasn’t created doesn’t change the fact they were knowledgeable. Your statement that “ the people who write the Bible had no understanding of science, the universe, or how things work “ literally has no bearing. King Solomon’s temple wasn’t a small feat, there system and infrastructure wasn’t a sloppy mess. They were RICH, and land was plentiful. They had a better feel for time and space then we do. They depended on the elements more than we do, there were no green houses and genetically modified corn, alongside seedless watermelons Lol... Israel was a hub and still is, you underestimate them... you should go do research on the subject, they weren’t dumb people. So it’s oranges, same time frame as we are discussing.

I appreciate the dialogue with you though. You're civil and come at this from a mature point of view and I can actually have a conversation with you
    I don’t mind it because I think you are sincere... you aren’t condescending or disrespectful, so I don’t mind discussing. You are adamant and stubborn on the ideas you’ve developed and though we go over and over a lot of it where I explain, you still regurgitate the same points, which do get tiring. You should take your time and study. The faith of a mustard seed moves mountains man. If you would take just some of the time you’ve committed to this thread and spend it on actually caring for the subject of GOD, we would be further along, but you insist on the belief of no belief where are discussing remains stagnant, this isn’t going any where.. but hopefully helping or strengthening someone who reads along ...

so cheers and love to you.

RangeFinder

Big D

I have to ask this question. We're you this stubborn as a child? You must have drove your mom crazy lol

BigDofBA

Quote Originally Posted by RangeFinder View Post
    Big D

I have to ask this question. We're you this stubborn as a child? You must have drove your mom crazy lol
    I believe what I believe just like you guys do. I'm no more stubborn than either of you.

I do appreciate the dialogue though. We can disagree and still have a civil discussion.

RangeFinder

I believe what I believe just like you guys do. I'm no more stubborn than either of you.

I do appreciate the dialogue though. We can disagree and still have a civil discussion.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

I've been in this thread, posted, and have read much of it. I have only glanced more recently but there has been something I've wanted to say about a conversation long ago that still goes on but never really said it.

It goes to BigDofBA. You once posted, but I'm not going to search it, that you are a man of logic and rationality, which is very reasonable and that you've wanted to understand where believers come from.

I don't think much of this has changed.

Every believer has told you that you must have faith. I've even challenged doubters to seek God honestly and in earnest, that's even what God says to do.

Yet, in all your attempts to try to understand, you want it your way. You don't want to have faith, you want proof.

But every believer says the same story, have faith. Seek, with faith, and you will find.

BigDofBA, if you want to really have a dialogue, then it is absolutely imperative that you listen to the other side of the conversation.

That side tells you that you must have faith and that those who seek only proof will suffer.

BigDofBA, there is only one thing left for you to do.

Seek out God through prayer and action, seek out God because you want to know Him, not because you don't understand the life and stories of ancient people.

Seek out God faithfully, can you do that?

That is all that is left for you. Go, do that, then report to us the Glorious News that you receive.

This is the answer you seek, whether you know it or not.

God Bless You and Good Luck

brainfreeze
    Meaning

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post

That is all that is left for you. Go, do that, then report to us the Glorious News that you receive.

God Bless You and Good Luck
    I don’t like you very much, but I still have love for you. If you believe, you should be trying to be obedient and live a HOLY and good life, even the demons believe, and they tremble...we’ve ran our course in discussion of which I’m not going back over right now. I think you are confused as of what God is looking for from you. I’m not perfect, but I know when I’m wrong and need to correct humbly. I will say, a lot of what you just mentioned is true except for the fact that God isn’t like some genie, you don’t rub a lamp and summon Him.. One must be passionately seeking Him with all their being and heart, having trust that He will answer...

Deuteronomy 4:29 - But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find [him], if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul

Jeremiah 29:13 - And ye shall seek me, and find [me], when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Psalms 14:2 - The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, [and] seek God.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

I don’t like you very much, but I still have love for you. If you believe, you should be trying to be obedient and live a HOLY and good life, even the demons believe, and they tremble...we’ve ran our course in discussion of which I’m not going back over right now. I think you are confused as of what God is looking for from you. I’m not perfect, but I know when I’m wrong and need to correct humbly. I will say, a lot of what you just mentioned is true except for the fact that God isn’t like some genie, you don’t rub a lamp and summon Him.. One must be passionately seeking Him with all their being and heart, having trust that He will answer...

Deuteronomy 4:29 - But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find [him], if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul

Jeremiah 29:13 - And ye shall seek me, and find [me], when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Psalms 14:2 - The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, [and] seek God.
    Thank you brainfreeze for posting scripture in reference to and supporting exactly what I was saying.

...I will say, a lot of what you just mentioned is true except for the fact that God isn’t like some genie, you don’t rub a lamp and summon Him.. One must be passionately seeking Him with all their being and heart, having trust that He will answer...
    No need for the "except" part.

If you are going with a metaphor, don't bail out half way.

The passion and trust you speak about is the act of rubbing the lamp. The scripture tells us what to do, and tells what will happen when we do it.

As far as the actual idea of a genie, it stops there. If you seek (rub), you will find (Him). While prayers are promised to be heard, they can be answered in the most unbelievable of ways.

You certainly can't treat God like a genie that grants wishes, and I never implied you could.

brainfreeze
    Meaning

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Thank you brainfreeze for posting scripture in reference to and supporting exactly what I was saying.

No need for the "except" part.

If you are going with a metaphor, don't bail out half way.

The passion and trust you speak about is the act of rubbing the lamp. The scripture tells us what to do, and tells what will happen when we do it.

As far as the actual idea of a genie, it stops there. If you seek (rub), you will find (Him). While prayers are promised to be heard, they can be answered in the most unbelievable of ways.

You certainly can't treat God like a genie that grants wishes, and I never implied you could.
    My point is d might seek and not find him for years. So for you to be like “ seek God and come tell us the glorious news “ sounds silly to me. It’s a life long journey. This requires dedication beyond all of what you know in life. The key is belief, there are some muslims that have phds in theological studies of bible.

They’re dedicated, without belief in what they’re reading though, their heart is not in it. They don’t get anywhere with God, and vainly wrestle with the scriptures their whole life. It takes a recipe of belief, dedication, heart and soul .... and sometimes can be a LOT of time .. this isn’t a easy journey, there’s hills and valleys then mountains to climb.

Those scriptures relate to a whole heartedly search, which ain’t just a easy “ rub “ sometimes can be cringing, blood, sweat, and tears .. a passionate patient cry for Him .. is what I’m talking about.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

It's starts with honestly seeking Him, and letting God take care of the rest.

I am confident that when he finds the Lord, or the Lord finds him, a fire will be lit and he will share the news. No matter how long it takes.

Taking a leap faith is only the beginning of the journey and so much of recipe can and will occur after the the search for God.

It is as simple as honestly seeking God, don't make it more complicated and try to establish some kind of expectation.

That is entirely up to God and you should leave it there.

First ... 113114115116117118119 ... Last