easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

Anyone ever take Antacids regularly for long periods of time?

Recently had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with gastritis. I've been having stomach issues and I was already aware of this and was hoping they would be able to tell me more than just telling me I had a stomach inflammation. Anyway doctor recommended I take an Antacid (Nexium or Omeprazole 40 **) for 3 months straight. I've already taken Omeprazole for a month at a time a few times in the past and I'm not sure if I wanna take it for that long as I have heard its not good for you long term as I am still fairly young. Any advices?

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1797

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    Recently had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with gastritis. I've been having stomach issues and I was already aware of this and was hoping they would be able to tell me more than just telling me I had a stomach inflammation. Anyway doctor recommended I take an Antacid (Nexium or Omeprazole 40 **) for 3 months straight. I've already taken Omeprazole for a month at a time a few times in the past and I'm not sure if I wanna take it for that long as I have heard its not good for you long term as I am still fairly young. Any advices?

If you get an endoscopy because of stomach problems and they find nothing serious they tell you you have gastritis that is protocol for almost all of them. If you don't want to take the GERD meds the first thing you might want to try is an elimination diet. Find out what food or foods are causing you problems and eliminate them completely. It isn't as difficult as it seems, I bet you have a good idea right now. It can be anything though not just the list they give you. Try it and then eliminate that food, if not you can take Antacids for long periods of time without any problem. If it were me I would try eliminating caffeine, citrus and alcohol first. If that works then introduce one and see what happens.
    Last edited by dante1; 05-11-14 at 12:55 PM.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Stomach pain or heartburn? Or both?

easyliving

Quote Originally Posted by GUMMO77 View Post
    Stomach pain or heartburn? Or both?
    stomach pain almost never have heartburn. Its the upper part of my stomach.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

stomach pain almost never have heartburn. Its the upper part of my stomach.
    Ok.

Dante had some good advice. I was just curious because the old lady had stomach and heartburn issues for almost a year, and the doctors couldn't find anything wrong. Eventually her eyes turned yellow and it turned out to be gallstones.

Anyway, thankfully that doesn't sound like what you have.

Hope you feel better, bud.
    Last edited by GUMMO77; 05-11-14 at 04:34 PM.

yassen28
    yassen28's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15848

Quote Originally Posted by GUMMO77 View Post
    Ok.

Dante had some good advice. I was just curious because the old lady had stomach and heartburn issues for almost a year, and the doctors couldn't find anything wrong. Eventually her eyes turned yellow and it turned out to be gallstones.

Anyway, thankfully that doesn't sound like what you have.

Hope you feel better, bud.
    I am having heartburn for more than 5 years. On Nexium 20 ** everyday for more than 4 years. Feel good.

easyliving

Quote Originally Posted by yassen28 View Post
    I am having heartburn for more than 5 years. On Nexium 20 ** everyday for more than 4 years. Feel good.
    You've been taking it for 4 years straight? I was talking to my doctor and theirs very little known about these pills as they have been on the market for a short period of time. Their is no research on the long term effects of it on the body. Even though Nexium does wonders for me as well I refuse to take it consistently.

Also I forgot to mention I was diagnosed with H. Phlyori bacteria a couple years ago and took the antibiotics for it which were hell. I was taking 12 pills a day for 10 days straight. Luckily I got retested and I am now clean of that.

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2163

Everyone I have talked to has told me that an endoscopy doesn't hurt at all and you are awake just sedated a little. What was your experience?

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by flyingillini View Post
    Everyone I have talked to has told me that an endoscopy doesn't hurt at all and you are awake just sedated a little. What was your experience?

It is nothing at all.

yassen28
    yassen28's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15848

You've been taking it for 4 years straight? I was talking to my doctor and theirs very little known about these pills as they have been on the market for a short period of time. Their is no research on the long term effects of it on the body. Even though Nexium does wonders for me as well I refuse to take it consistently.

Also I forgot to mention I was diagnosed with H. Phlyori bacteria a couple years ago and took the antibiotics for it which were hell. I was taking 12 pills a day for 10 days straight. Luckily I got retested and I am now clean of that.
    I have a heartburn because I have a cut in smth too small to operate. I have a friend who us world recognized doctor - he is pretty confident that you can take Nexium for years. It depends on other conditions of course but generally speaking.

easyliving

I was under the whole time so I didn't feel a thing. Very easy procedure with no side effects, I went in was under for 10-15 minutes and back home. Can't drive for 24 hours cuz of the anesthesia but thats all.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

He didn't say Colonoscopy...that's when the doctor is going "downtown"...if you know what I mean? That's when you wake up and you feel like you've been violated by a cellie from Attica

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Have GERD and been on meds for a good 7 years now. I'm sure it's not great but better than the intense pain from heartburn. Dante is right though, eliminate the foods that make it the worst. I can get away with no meds if I do that and don't drink booze but that's not happening. Citrus and tomato based things are killers for me. Can't drink OJ or eat pasta sauce without meds hours before I do.
    Last edited by Cuse0323; 05-11-14 at 09:16 PM.

easyliving

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    Have GERD and been on meds for a good 7 years now. I'm sure it's not great but better than the intense pain from heartburn. Dante is right though, eliminate the foods that make it the worst. I can get away with no meds if I do that and don't drink booze but that's not happening. Citrus and tomato based things are killers for me. Can't drink OJ or eat pasta sauce without meds hours before I do.
    anything tomato based is a huge no no. I haven't had ketchup in years and I used to love ketchup. Apparently tomatoes are extremely acidic. Every doctor I've been to the first thing they mention is no tomatoes and no fried foods. I've cut soda out of my diet completely as well but still drink from time to time as long as I'm on a full stomach its not much of an issue. Also a great thing to do when your having discomfort is get a teaspoon of baking powder and mix in a small glass of water and drink it quickly. Works everytime for me.

Cuse0323

Oh yeah, baking soda is my go to when things get real bad but don't like to do it much since I'm already on meds at all times. Had to go to it last night since I ate meatballs and sauce all day.

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2163

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    He didn't say Colonoscopy...that's when the doctor is going "downtown"...if you know what I mean? That's when you wake up and you feel like you've been violated by a cellie from Attica
    I never said anything about a colonoscopy , I have had that done before. He said endo and I said endo

Riceboi
    Riceboi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 32

You guys should do some research on raw organic apple cider vinegar; it's actually a base and helps with stomach problems.

Good luck

easyliving

Quote Originally Posted by Riceboi View Post
    You guys should do some research on raw organic apple cider vinegar; it's actually a base and helps with stomach problems.

Good luck
    heard about this as well but never gave it a try. Apparently your supposed to mix it with water and drink it on an empty stomach. Will do further research on it when I have time.

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1404

used to get awful reflux/heartburn. it was so bad it would jolt me awake and i thought i was having a heart attack. was on nexium for a while and gained a lot of weight. i rarely get it anymore and i think it's because i started working out hard/ eating a much healthier diet. I lost weight and quit taking the pills and it went away. Those pills are not good for you. it doesn't let you properly digest a lot of good stuff. try and get healthier and see how you feel but pills are a decent short term option i guess. fyi the over the counter zantac is pretty much the same thing as nexium. no need to get a scrip. give it a whirl

Cuse0323

Quote Originally Posted by TheMetsSuck View Post
    used to get awful reflux/heartburn. it was so bad it would jolt me awake and i thought i was having a heart attack. was on nexium for a while and gained a lot of weight. i rarely get it anymore and i think it's because i started working out hard/ eating a much healthier diet. I lost weight and quit taking the pills and it went away. Those pills are not good for you. it doesn't let you properly digest a lot of good stuff. try and get healthier and see how you feel but pills are a decent short term option i guess. fyi the over the counter zantac is pretty much the same thing as nexium. no need to get a scrip. give it a whirl
    That's what worries me about taking the pills for so long...probably haven't been digesting needed nutrients properly in a long time. Could be why I don't feel great ever.

Zantac does work well, that's what I go with now since it's not too expensive and you don't need a script.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15060

Nexium works best. I have Tums 1000 for quick fixes.

I've had reflux and occasional heartburn over half my life. What really quelled it though was finding out what caused it. It was NOT acidic foods like I thought all along -- it was my stomach's inability to digest carbs well. I cut out carbs for 6 days a week, and 90% went away. It still happens, but it doesn't cripple me every day like it did before on days where I didn't have any Nexium.

Best suggestion is to stop putting band-aids on it and find out the cause. From there, you can find the best solution for you. Everyone is different.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15060

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    It may not be the case for you, but for me it was what I was having WITH the acidic foods and beverages. OJ would have probably been okay, but the toast and cereal was killing me (carbs). The tomato sauce was fine, but the pasta it was on was what was hurting me. You're right, it's probably not the best, but it may not be the cause. The idea of all these acidic foods being bad for me was masking what the real problem for me was all along, and that was the carb-heavy and gluten-heavy stuff that was going along with it.

Again, not saying my case is the same as yours, but try this: Have OJ with eggs, and see if it's better for your stomach. Have pasta with butter and see if it still gives you reflux. If both answers are YES, you may have found the real issue.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

just throwing this out there...

Some of your problems could be stress related EZ. Also, when you eat may be as important as what you eat.

Might be Gluten related as well.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

yes stress can cause a number of health problems.

But how do we avoid stress?

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1404

dont lose money gambling for one

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    Nexium works best. I have Tums 1000 for quick fixes.

I've had reflux and occasional heartburn over half my life. What really quelled it though was finding out what caused it. It was NOT acidic foods like I thought all along -- it was my stomach's inability to digest carbs well. I cut out carbs for 6 days a week, and 90% went away. It still happens, but it doesn't cripple me every day like it did before on days where I didn't have any Nexium.

Best suggestion is to stop putting band-aids on it and find out the cause. From there, you can find the best solution for you. Everyone is different.

absolutely correct and doesn't surprise me, that is why I recommended to not guess what it is because it could be anything. That carb thing is getting big tons of people have reactions to carbs. I don't want to get into a long story about wheat but suffice it to say it is not the same wheat our ancestors ate, but how do you avoid it. It is really difficult.

So my best advice is try an elimination diet and then try avoiding those foods. Hopefully it will be one or two that you can do without. Like said in this last post it need not be the usual suspects it can be almost everything and anything.

easyliving

I've always had trouble with what to eat for breakfast. I usually have the typical tea, hard boiled egg, cheese, olives breakfast but every morning I have stomach pain after eating breakfast. Also tried soup for a while but that didn't work out as well. Even tried eating oatmeals and that worked out slightly better but I can't eat that stuff everyday.

onemoregoal
    twentysixblack
    onemoregoal's Avatar Become A Pro!

eggs cheese and olives......... at the same time? they dont sound like "safe" foods for stomach problems?

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

I've always had trouble with what to eat for breakfast. I usually have the typical tea, hard boiled egg, cheese, olives breakfast but every morning I have stomach pain after eating breakfast. Also tried soup for a while but that didn't work out as well. Even tried eating oatmeals and that worked out slightly better but I can't eat that stuff everyday.
    throw a carb in there

maybe some form of bread

easyliving

Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post
    throw a carb in there

maybe some form of bread
    well yea bread is a given always have my 2 slices