Sandwichman
    Sandwichman's Avatar Become A Pro!

Neighbor leaves note on my window accusing me of hitting his car

Last night as I was parking my car I slightly bumped the car behind me. I went out to check it and it was nothing serious just a small scratch. So this morning I see a piece of paper on my car window, saying my neighbor saw me saying he thinks I might have gotten away but he saw the whole incident and has already reported the incident. Do I have anything to worry about here? Can he really have reported me for a small scratch not to mention no one even rang my door bell at night. Should I expect to get a ticket in the mail?

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Ticket in the mail for what? The police may come and file an incident report so he can turn it into his or your insurance. If you did damage(which you said that you did), you are liable.

Sandwichman

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Ticket in the mail for what? The police may come and file an incident report so he can turn it into his or your insurance. If you did damage(which you said that you did), you are liable.
    it was a small scratch if that, nothing serious, doesn't he need to provide proof that it was me causing the actual scratch.

brodie
    you got the juice now
    brodie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 416

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwichman View Post
    it was a small scratch if that, nothing serious, doesn't he need to provide proof that it was me causing the actual scratch.
    so what are you going to deny it, you piece of shit? no wonder your neighbor went straight to the cops. that's what you get for living somewhere without your own driveway you broke prick

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Don't be such an asshole

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Brodie how many cars can park in your driveway?

Kermit

Yes he will. Unless they police can determine 100% that you did the damage, otherwise it is his word against yours. The cops will not conduct a full investigation over a scratch though. If the scratch is too deep and can't be buffed out, the entire bumper cover may need repainted and you are looking at around $250+.

Bumping a car plastic bumper to plastic bumper normally doesn't scratch. Are you sure the paint didn't crack?

Sandwichman

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    Don't be such an asshole
    so I'm expected to pay for something that most people do on a regular basis? People always bump cars when they are parallel parking, and I've been bumped myself multiple times, never made a big deal of it.

Kermit

so I'm expected to pay for something that most people do on a regular basis? People always bump cars when they are parallel parking, and I've been bumped myself multiple times, never made a big deal of it.
    I have yet to see someone bump into someone else's car with the owner right there and they blew it off like it was no big deal. Granted if your car is a piece of shit(not saying yours is), then you might not be concerned about it. My wife bought a brand new Avenger R/T in 2012 and a month after she bought it, some woman bumped it with a shopping cart in the parking lot of a Grocery Store and scratched it and put a small ding on the the passenger side door, and you better believe that she paid for it. If my wife would have blew it off, I would have been pissed.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3369

I have yet to see someone bump into someone else's car with the owner right there and they blew it off like it was no big deal. Granted if your car is a piece of shit(not saying yours is), then you might not be concerned about it. My wife bought a brand new Avenger R/T in 2012 and a month after she bought it, some woman bumped it with a shopping cart in the parking lot of a Grocery Store and scratched it and put a small ding on the the passenger side door, and you better believe that she paid for it. If my wife would have blew it off, I would have been pissed.
    Ive had people hit my car before,they always act oblivious. Alot of ignorant people around.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10542

Have no fear. Your insurance will cover it. As for the stone throwers in here, like you never tapped a car, pole
    or whatever while parking. If you haven't yet, you will.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

if you were negligent in parking your car, he can jimmy up an estimate to have his entire bumper (or whatever portion of his car you scratched) pulled off the car sanded, primed, repainted etc..... you should go buy some touch up paint and paint the little scratch yourself, then drop a huge cleveland steamer on his hood (obviously, make sure you're not on video when you dump a two-day old, half-digested load of Pancho's Mexican buffet on the hood of his hi-dollar ride!)

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5588

I thought bumpers were for bumping? Guess that's why my wife always yells at me for bumping into another car when parking. I just say back, their called bumpers for a reason.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

You hit someone's car and caused damage. Be a fukkin' man and take responsibility. That's why you have insurance. Very neighborly of you to not even go tell the guy you dinged his/her car too.

Sandwichman

so can my neighbor file a claim without me even knowing it? As long as my insurance covers it I am ok with it. Would the incident cause my insurance premium to go up?

GiveMeaBJ
    WIN WIN WIN
    GiveMeaBJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 335

Bad karma sir. Should have rang doorbell and handed $100 to the man and said listen I just tapped your car I hope this covers it.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

Hate to state the obvious, but what's up with your neighborhood?

1) Why would he call the cops instead of just asking you to cover any damage? Or ask why you didn't leave a note or tell him.

and 2) why didn't you just walk over to his front door as soon as you got the note and apologize and explain you didn't think there was any damage when you looked?

You guys all scared of each other in that street?

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

so can my neighbor file a claim without me even knowing it? As long as my insurance covers it I am ok with it. Would the incident cause my insurance premium to go up?
    No, sounds like they are going to call the cops and file an incident/accident report.

Most things can be avoided by stepping up at the moment. Right when it happened, you should have sought out your neighbor and told them you accidentally bumped their car. If it was a small ding, he may have said I appreciate you telling me but forget it. Or you giving him $100 or something as the other poster mentioned.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Hate to state the obvious, but what's up with your neighborhood?

1) Why would he call the cops instead of just asking you to cover any damage? Or ask why you didn't leave a note or tell him.

and 2) why didn't you just walk over to his front door as soon as you got the note and apologize and explain you didn't think there was any damage when you looked?

You guys all scared of each other in that street?
    all valid points, Opti...... that's why, in my little neighborhood in houston, filled with thugs, wanna be thugs, mexi-thugs, euro-thugs, japanty-yakuza-thugs, etc. etc. etc., I never hesitate to pack my 7mm magnum out of its case, while wearing full cammo, on may way to go deer hunting..... strap that thing on my shoulder and all of the foregoing groups of miscreants seem to always miss my house while out "wildin'" and theivin'!!!! And they all call me "Sir" and offer to help me carry in groceries, mow my lawn, etc..... Once they saw the 2 huge 150+ B&C deer shoulder mounts and 15 european mounts of 135-145 class B&C whitetails sitting on top of my entertainment center, these fckweeds know not only do I have what the federal govt would call an "aresenal" of weapons, but that I also hit what I aim at. In the words of Joe Pesci in Goodfellas, "what can I say??? I'm a good shot!"

James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you bumped his car enough to leave a little scratch of course you are liable. Asking does he have to prove it is not the right attitude. What year/model/condition was his car and yours? Fact is if he keeps his car real nice maybe he doesn't want people bumping it. I personally don't sweat stuff like that and I have a nice car but it is not your right or mine to decide how your neighbor feels about his property.

Smooth it over with him. First you apologize and offer to pay. If you deny it will go bad and you will lose. Then explain you would not have cared if it was reversed but you should not have made an assumption that he would feel the same way. Since you didn't move your car away you were not being inherently deceptive. If after you dinged his car you moved yours away it would look much worse. It sounds like that wasn't the case.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    No, sounds like they are going to call the cops and file an incident/accident report.

Most things can be avoided by stepping up at the moment. Right when it happened, you should have sought out your neighbor and told them you accidentally bumped their car. If it was a small ding, he may have said I appreciate you telling me but forget it. Or you giving him $100 or something as the other poster mentioned.

bingo

now the neighbor may just beat his ass or plow into his car one night

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    Ive had people hit my car before,they always act oblivious. Alot of ignorant people around.
    I meant the owner didn't care. I've seen people hit cars before and act like nothing happened as well.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

lol @ this ninga.

Kermit

One time when I was about 8 or 9 we were eating at a Ponderosa and my dad has just redid his 67 Oldsmobile and parked it away from all of the other cars in the parking lot, and we were sitting there eating and the Olds was in plain sight from where we were, and sure enough a car pulled in and parked right beside it and out popped 2 fat ass women and the driver flung her door open right into the passenger door and we could hear it hit. The women wobbled into the restaurant and sat down a few tables away.

My dad got up and went over to the driver and said "You just hit my car with your door and from the sound it had to have dented it, I just repainted that whole car last week" and I will never forget this, the woman said "I didn't do anything, if there is any marks on it, they were there, if you paint cars, you can fix it for free" My dad sat back down and I can still remember the look on his face. He was fukking pissed.

When we left the restaurant, I ran back to the cars to see the damage and sure enough there was a nice dent and gouge in the new paint on the passenger door. When my dad seen it, I could see the smoke coming from his ears. He started to walk back towards the restaurant and turned around walked back to the woman's car and kicked her door about 3 or 4 times until it was caved in. We got in our car and left.

That is the only time in my life that I have ever seen my father get violent.
    Last edited by Kermit; 04-17-14 at 03:27 PM.

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6111

your car insurance will go up and it wont be worth driving really

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6111

if it was a scratch has you say you should have given him 50 dollars for the repair damage, and apologise

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Id be pissed. I worked at a very large company in my late teens and was driving moms car. Tons of workers cars in lot. When I got off one day the passenger side mirror was almost ripped off from I guess a car passing by it or who knows. I was fuming that but had no way of knowing who did it no cam on lot I knew of so if its a scrape as you say shouldnt cost much just pay it.

MoneylineExpress
    MoneylineExpress's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 865

Wow your truly a piece of shit. I have several side panel dings on my truck from pieces of shit like you swinging open their doors recklessly and walking away not giving a shit. Don't you care about other peoples property? No your selfish degenerate gambler low life scum piece of shit.

Magnolia Slim
    Magnolia Slim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1283

This dude needs his ass kicked bad.. He Fukkin scratches dudes car and now he doesn't want to hold up for it saying the guy can't prove it.. You are a pos and if you tried that shitt with a real one you would get your ass tore out the frame..

Magnolia Slim
    Magnolia Slim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1283

Last night as I was parking my car I slightly bumped the car behind me. I went out to check it and it was nothing serious just a small scratch. So this morning I see a piece of paper on my car window, saying my neighbor saw me saying he thinks I might have gotten away but he saw the whole incident and has already reported the incident. Do I have anything to worry about here? Can he really have reported me for a small scratch not to mention no one even rang my door bell at night. Should I expect to get a ticket in the mail?
    Only five posts, you have to be a ghost jus Fukkin around, well played..

Spanks
    me pee pee
    Spanks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

One time when I was about 8 or 9 we were eating at a Ponderosa and my dad has just redid his 67 Oldsmobile and parked it away from all of the other cars in the parking lot, and we were sitting there eating and the Olds was in plain sight from where we were, and sure enough a car pulled in and parked right beside it and out popped 2 fat ass women and the driver flung her door open right into the passenger door and we could hear it hit. The women wobbled into the restaurant and sat down a few tables away.

My dad got up and went over to the driver and said "You just hit my car with your door and from the sound it had to have dented it, I just repainted that whole car last week" and I will never forget this, the woman said "I didn't do anything, if there is any marks on it, they were there, if you paint cars, you can fix it for free" My dad sat back down and I can still remember the look on his face. He was fukking pissed.

When we left the restaurant, I ran back to the cars to see the damage and sure enough there was a nice dent and gouge in the new paint on the passenger door. When my dad seen it, I could see the smoke coming from his ears. He started to walk back towards the restaurant and turned around walked back to the woman's car and kicked her door about 3 or 4 times until it was caved in. We got in our car and left.

That is the only time in my life that I have ever seen my father get violent.
    thats not violent..

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Ask him if he is making this up because you fukked his wife/girlfriend.

That will be taxing on that poor bastard.

FrozenMAN
    2020 Big Ten CHAMPS!
    FrozenMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4112

you are a total piece of shit then ya penetrate...hate people like you...if ever got a scratch on my car id want to kill em

FrozenMAN
    2020 Big Ten CHAMPS!
    FrozenMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4112

some spick parked next to me after I parked in the boonies in a beat up van..i come out and see a white spec on my door and flipped left the nastiest note on earth and waited for fagget...hope they die...people have no courtesy and I WISH I had a shit box where I can go around and just smash other people's shit with

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by Spanks View Post
    thats not violent..
    It was violent for my dad who is normally pretty calm. To this day, I have never seen him do anything like that.

12 Last