bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8975

Gentrication in NYC

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ification.html

Usually this dude annoys the hell out of me, but personally I feel like he hit the nail on the head with this rant, esp. the part about the Christopher Columbus syndrome (people that act like things didn't exist until they came and "discovered" them).

Anyway, how do New Yorkers and other feel about this?

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

All of it is true!!!!

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just another stupid, ignorant spook.

bigtymer56

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    Just another stupid, ignorant spook.
    Thanks for the thoughtful comment. No videos of vampire sightings or a story about somebody seeing the face of a saint in a dog turd to keep u busy today?

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Gentrification is good. Makes something out of historical areas that were shit holes previously.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Gentrification forces assimilation by blacks to a white life style. It strips the very essence and culture that has created some of the most culture rich cities in the world.
    Points Awarded:

Darkside Magick gave The Kraken 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Gentrification forces assimilation by blacks to a white life style. It strips the very essence and culture that has created some of the most culture rich cities in the world.
    I would like to take you back to DC in 1988 and let you see all the culture. It wss called "the murder capital of the world" back then.

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

I'll take black people over a bunch of liberal douche hippies so I'm with spike. Who the fuk would want to live in Brooklyn anyway

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

Sounds to me like wealthier better people (whatever color) are moving into previously horrible places and cleaning up the area. Now people can't sit around all night playing drums till all hours of the morning; get in your home, stop making noise, get a job, and benefit society in some way

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Its wealthy developers putting starbucks and krispy kremes on every corner of neighborhoods that once had artists performing or local owned bars

Sounds thrilling

Just like every other white town in America

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13152

The thing about gentrification is that you need both the property owner to sell and someone to buy the property. If you don't want the neighborhood to change, don't sell your house.

I agree with Spike that basic services and schools should be accessed regardless of neighborhood, but let's be real. If you live in Jordan Downs projects, you're not exactly going to be attracting high level talent to teach the neighborhood kids.

bigtymer56

Its wealthy developers putting starbucks and krispy kremes on every corner of neighborhoods that once had artists performing or local owned bars

Sounds thrilling

Just like every other white town in America
    Got a big starbucks a few blocks away from me now. Look in, always just a bunch of people on their laptops or tablets with their headphones on. Might as well be just another corner in manhattan.

Pretty interesting though, after decades of white people leaving (according to my parents the neighborhood the I grew up in was all Jewish and Italian when they were young, but now outside of a few businesses you would never know white people ever lived there) and going to suburbs, now their kids r coming back and the poorer residents are being forced to the suburbs.

The thing that amazes me is how quickly a neighborhood demos change. Remember before going to college nobody was going to Williamsburg for any reason and coming back 4 years later, the neighborhood completely changed. Now it looks like the east village but with tons of condos.

One thing I'll never get used to seeing is white women walking past the projects at night like its nothing. Always wanna yell this at them:
    Last edited by bigtymer56; 02-26-14 at 11:10 PM.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

nyc changes all the time
    100 years ago lower east side was the ghetto
    now the artists live in bushwick
    10 more years they'll live in canarsie

bigtymer56

Quote Originally Posted by face View Post
    nyc changes all the time
    100 years ago lower east side was the ghetto
    now the artists live in bushwick
    10 more years they'll live in canarsie
    Lol doubt that. Half of them don't even know canarsie exists and the other half know it as the place the train goes every night after it drops them off from the city.

And if they do ever make it there, then you'll start to hear about how nice the pier and some of the parks are. And stories about people calling the cops on their west indian neighbors for playing their music too loud at night during summers.
    Last edited by bigtymer56; 02-26-14 at 11:43 PM.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by bigtymer56 View Post
    Thanks for the thoughtful comment. No videos of vampire sightings or a story about somebody seeing the face of a saint in a dog turd to keep u busy today?
    No, but plenty of videos of spooks acting like monsters all over the place.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

I love how Spike Lee said if white people move in, respect the culture and act accordingly to the history of the neighborhood.

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

Here's an article that turns the argument right on Spike's head. "Hipster" is the new "Thug". Code words ftw eh Spike?

http://ideas.time.com/2014/02/28/spi...he-new-honkey/

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quick question:

What fukkin retard made this thread?

By that, I mean what the fukk does "Gentrication" mean?

Did the OP mean "Gentrification"?