easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

Can I get tax credit returns from previous years if I didn't file

Don't wanna go into details too much but a few years ago while doing my own taxes I didn't realize I was eligible for a certain refund on my taxes and I left money on the table I could have gotten as a refund. If I get all my paperwork from that year together and take it into HR block or another similar tax place can I get the funds back or am I too late?

FranchisePlayer
    U MAD BRO!?
    FranchisePlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1970

Ask Wesley Snipes

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13164

Get your billion back

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25117

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    Don't wanna go into details too much but a few years ago while doing my own taxes I didn't realize I was eligible for a certain refund on my taxes and I left money on the table I could have gotten as a refund. If I get all my paperwork from that year together and take it into HR block or another similar tax place can I get the funds back or am I too late?
    You can file amendments, refile or whatnot. I personally would get an actual CPA as opposed to someone as HRBlock or one of those other tax shops. If you have a pretty basic return there not really that much more money and they are much better equipped to handle issues that could possibly arise.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

Quote Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
    You can file amendments, refile or whatnot. I personally would get an actual CPA as opposed to someone as HRBlock or one of those other tax shops. If you have a pretty basic return there not really that much more money and they are much better equipped to handle issues that could possibly arise.
    so I can refile for multiple years in the past and get back a refund for those years if I had missed something? If I have all the paperwork from those years will I be questioned about it in detail? I am thinking I might have to refile for 2 if not 3 years as I simply had a ton of deductions I could have included as well as expenses I did not include.

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Yes, you can go back and amend a return.

But do yourself a favor.

Hire a CPA-- just in case you get audited.

If you are going to amend a return that adds a ton of itemized deductions you missed, you'll draw a flag or two, and it would be nice to have an accountant if you do get audited.

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2726

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    yes