Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13581

I was this close | | to a Million.

That's right. I've been drinking so details will be sketchy to protect the innocent or cause I'm feeling it.

I have a daughter who is in her mid twenties. She works for a public kind of high profile company. They get an investment from a really big company. I say "did you know that xxx just bought x% of you"? She says "yeah I've known for awhile". I ask "Did you think about telling me". She says "dad, I can't do that, that's insider trading". Stock is up 80% since November. News just out recently. In fact up 50% Nov-Dec. Now just who do you think caused that stock to jump 50%? I guess just lucky investors.

I'm not here for math lessons or investing advice but for those that known there is a thing called "margin".

I sure hope her ethics serve her well as her bosses live in 15K sf mansions and are drinking the best champagne tonight. Hopefully she goes on to a long and lucrative career there as I sure don't want to be around the day they let her go and it's "I wish I coulda shoulda".

I feel a migraine coming on. Kinda hard to think about college hoops tonight.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Don't want her to go the way of Martha Stewart.

FranchisePlayer
    U MAD BRO!?
    FranchisePlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1970

Cool story bro..nah but really

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

it's ok, you can tell us
    Last edited by milwaukee mike; 02-07-14 at 06:05 PM.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by FranchisePlayer View Post
    Cool story bro..nah but really
    yeah really.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    it's ok, you can tell us it's green mountain coffee (gmcr)
    where you been? This woke you up though! And it's tax season.

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post
    where you been? This woke you up though! And it's tax season.
    yeah i just wanted to make my presence felt in case anyone had tax questions. i started a thread about jjgold the other day

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

All I wanted was my fair share. Turns out she's righteous and ethical. Hope it serves her well.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    yeah i just wanted to make my presence felt in case anyone had tax questions. i started a thread about jjgold the other day
    I had a taxing (no pun intended year). I may actually have a question or 2 for you.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11648

I'd say you're a scumbag but you actually raised a daughter with standards - so you're really not that bad. And, by the way, small timers DO NOT get away with insider trading. You have to be connected 10-ways to Saturday have an institutional investment arm at your service to get away with it. And they do. But small investors? Never - and the penalty is brutal.

milwaukee mike

All I wanted was my fair share. Turns out she's righteous and ethical. Hope it serves her well.
    i used to buy small reit's, one of them paid .25/share/quarter dividend, and hadn't paid anything for a year. this was a super small company, i called them in kansas city and spoke to the cfo. she actually told me over the phone "we're not going to pay those back dividends because of the buyout coming up"...

i could've bought all the stock i wanted at 9 and it got bought out for 14 a few weeks later ugh... then again the stock had almost no volume so who knows if i would've gotten in trouble for trading off of that info!

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Dude you can call me a lot of things, well I guess on the internet you can call me anything you want, but scumbag I'm NOT.

If you think that stock rose 50% just by luck then you're smoking something I want right about now.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11648

Dude you can call me a lot of things, well I guess on the internet you can call me anything you want, but scumbag I'm NOT.

If you think that stock rose 50% just by luck then you're smoking something I want right about now.
    To be clear - I expressly did not call you that.

And the interested parties that drove it up 50% will not be brought up on charges by the SEC because following the bouncing ball from A to B to C ... to Z is f'ing impossible for regulators.

But when it's only a VP stockbroker at Smith Barney buying one some call options of an issue and his college buddy's brother who works at a law firm that represents the purchasing company - the SEC will catch the perps and march them to jail. Insider trading isn't a given for pros - but amateurs will get caught as a rule.