broncosfan
    broncosfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

I Need Help/Advice. (serious)

Sorry for coming here to ask for help but the banks are closed and I have no one else to go to.

I found a few checks from my old job after cleaning and searching the house for money (I'm broke), and thinking I never cashed it, I deposited 2 of them right away via mobile app (BkofAma). The checks did clear and a 3rd is pending. Of course I was skeptical about having checks laying around but I was told if I have deposited the checks before, the bank has a system in place that would prevent any duplicate deposits and I would just get hit with a fee which I took a risk at.

Now this is where I need help. My friend who still works there contacted me right away that my old boss is livid because he says I have been "stealing" from him. As soon as my friend told me that I knew my ex-boss was probably hit with a negative balance or he noticed something in his accounting/statements. My question is what will happen from here? Am I going to get arrested for fraud? Or will the bank just reverse everything? I'm terrified and broke as it is.

Thanks again.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

I'm pretty sure that you already know whether or not you've already cashed the checks since you would have had to endorse them.

Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

Take a taxi to the airport. Go to the information desk and say Peter Prefers Pancakes. Bend over to tie your shoe and wait 2 minutes to be handed a white envelope. In this envelope there will be 1 ticket to Santiago, Chile. Get on that plane and enjoy your new life with your new family.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

If your bank has a system in place to reject duplicate checks everything will eventually work itself out with your old boss. Bank would probably report you to ChexSystems or something... close your bank account, which would suck. Arrested for fraud... hell no.
    Points Awarded:

broncosfan gave zam77 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!

Do not close account . Do not close account . Do not close account. Very simply you made a mistake and was not sure checks were cashed. What were the dates of the checks guy deposited?

broncosfan

Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post
    Do not close account . Do not close account . Do not close account. Very simply you made a mistake and was not sure checks were cashed. What were the dates of the checks guy deposited?

The checks were from Dec of 2012 and the other two were from Jan of 2013. So these checks were from a year ago and I did a mobile deposit of them this past month and then I got the news today. I did not close the account or that would probably make it look like I'm trying to take off with the money.

broncosfan

Quote Originally Posted by zam77 View Post
    If your bank has a system in place to reject duplicate checks everything will eventually work itself out with your old boss. Bank would probably report you to ChexSystems or something... close your bank account, which would suck. Arrested for fraud... hell no.
    My question is if these systems are in place, how come 2 checks ended up clearing? I wish it had bounced or been declined and hit me with a fee instead.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Quote Originally Posted by broncosfan View Post
    My question is if these systems are in place, how come 2 checks ended up clearing? I wish it had bounced or been declined and hit me with a fee instead.
    So basically you're admitting that you tried to roll your ex employer...probably not going to jail without a prior history of passing bad checks but you're a a shitstain nonetheless

broncosfan

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    So basically you're admitting that you tried to roll your ex employer...probably not going to jail without a prior history of passing bad checks but you're a a shitstain nonetheless
    Did you read the post? Yeah it looks bad but its an honest mistake. Thanks anyway.

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2774

what I don't understand is how the checks were missing for so long or better yet why didn't you cash them or deposit them in the first place?!!......and why didn't your boss say anything to you personally about not cashing them last year when they were originally issued as this would have effected his payroll account?!...

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

are you on drugs? how does a person that is broke not know if he has cashed checks in the past or not? when i was tight for money back in the day, i knew the status of everything i had. and i certainly wouldn't leave checks laying around.

broncosfan

Quote Originally Posted by Da Manster! View Post
    what I don't understand is how the checks were missing for so long or better yet why didn't you cash them or deposit them in the first place?!!......and why didn't your boss say anything to you personally about not cashing them last year when they were originally issued as this would have effected his payroll account?!...

I can't answer any of that but I found these checks in a pocket of an old jacket and thinking there's a chance these checks were never deposited I went ahead and started to deposit them. I knew if they were deposited before, the bank would simply deny it and that would be the end of it. But since it went through, I knew it was never actually cashed... Or so I thought until today. I'm scared but at the same time I'm not because it was an honest mistake. I was just hoping someone could tell me what I need to do to. I know I have to call the bank tomorrow, and call my ex-employer again (he didn't pick up when I called at 9:40 at night), but do I need to contact anyone else in advance?

broncosfan

Quote Originally Posted by mpaschal34 View Post
    are you on drugs? how does a person that is broke not know if he has cashed checks in the past or not? when i was tight for money back in the day, i knew the status of everything i had. and i certainly wouldn't leave checks laying around.
    This was a year ago. I wasn't tight on money then. Why do you think I'm scrapping for some now?

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2774

I can't answer any of that but I found these checks in a pocket of an old jacket and thinking there's a chance these checks were never deposited I went ahead and started to deposit them. I knew if they were deposited before, the bank would simply deny it and that would be the end of it. But since it went through, I knew it was never actually cashed... Or so I thought until today. I'm scared but at the same time I'm not because it was an honest mistake. I was just hoping someone could tell me what I need to do to. I know I have to call the bank tomorrow, and call my ex-employer again (he didn't pick up when I called at 9:40 at night), but do I need to contact anyone else in advance?
    Call both your former boss and the bank and explain the situation to them and what happened...regardless if you are an idiot for not cashing them when they were first issued to you is besides the point...the bank will more than likely reverse the charges and your account will be in the red with overdraft fees...however, if this is money that you really earned and had coming to you, I don't see why your former boss would have any problem making good on it since it was never debited from his payroll account in the first place...however, if he's filed for bankruptcy or is currently unemployed with no funds at his disposal, then your fukked and it's up to you pay the bank back...

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Did you read the post? Yeah it looks bad but its an honest mistake. Thanks anyway.
    Did you read the part about endorsing the checks? When you found the checks did they have your signature on the back? You conveniently replied to every other post in the thread.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I've actually not cashed checks before myself. Just completely forgot.

Didn't even attempt deposting them when I came across them again.

Call both people up and tell them what happened. You earned that money and a check is a negotiable instrument.

broncosfan

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Did you read the part about endorsing the checks? When you found the checks did they have your signature on the back? You conveniently replied to every other post in the thread.
    I didn't reply because it was already answered in the first post. Yes, they were endorsed but apparently it would have been smarter to have dated the endorsement and not only a signature. I did this right away when they handed me my pay checks. But like I've said, I wasn't sure and I checked by simply depositing it knowing if I have deposited it in the past, it would be immediately denied. Or so I thought it would.

James D

The checks are a year old, you can argue that you forgot you cashed them. If they ask you " you sometimes forget to cash your checks?? " what can they say if your answer is " last November /december I had a tremendous run gambling and was absolutely flush with cash. When i found the checks i assumed i never cashed them because i had tons of money at the time. Then when I found them I tried to deposit them.

The checks are a year old, making a mistake like this is not a crime. I am telling you a story like the one I posted is your best option. It does not matter if they believe you, it matters if they can prove you are lying.

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

The checks are a year old, you can argue that you forgot you cashed them. If they ask you " you sometimes forget to cash your checks?? " what can they say if your answer is " last November /december I had a tremendous run gambling and was absolutely flush with cash. When i found the checks i assumed i never cashed them because i had tons of money at the time. Then when I found them I tried to deposit them.

The checks are a year old, making a mistake like this is not a crime. I am telling you a story like the one I posted is your best option. It does not matter if they believe you, it matters if they can prove you are lying.
    Great idea to tell the bank you're a degenerate gambler.

If that don't work tell them you're a drug dealer waiting on a shipment.

Bottom line: this guy will only get a slap on the wrist for his first fraud charge, 6-9 months behind bars is my guess.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TitsArriba

James D

Quote Originally Posted by boeing power View Post
    Great idea to tell the bank you're a degenerate gambler.

If that don't work tell them you're a drug dealer waiting on a shipment.

Bottom line: this guy will only get a slap on the wrist for his first fraud charge, 6-9 months behind bars is my guess.

I did not realize all gamblers were degenerate gamblers. You also equate gamblers with drug dealers, very sound thinking.
    Bottom line is he won't get in trouble at all if he admits no wrong doing and pays the money back. Also saying he would get 6-9 months behind bars shows how little you know about the law. Zero chance he gets more then 30 days even if he is STUPID enough to admit wrongdoing .

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

I did not realize all gamblers were degenerate gamblers. You also equate gamblers with drug dealers, very sound thinking.
    Bottom line is he won't get in trouble at all if he admits no wrong doing and pays the money back. Also saying he would get 6-9 months behind bars shows how little you know about the law. Zero chance he gets more then 30 days even if he is STUPID enough to admit wrongdoing .
    I don't equate any of those things but you can bet the average banker or law enforcement does.

broncosfan

Thank you. This makes me feel a lot better. Thanks to everyone who left feedback whether positive or negative. I'm at terrible place in life so thanks for contributing to this thread at least. Also I barely gamble.
    Last edited by broncosfan; 01-29-14 at 01:07 AM.

James D

Quote Originally Posted by boeing power View Post
    I don't equate any of those things but you can bet the average banker or law enforcement does.
    Boeing the average banker or law enforcement guy gambles, he doesn't push drugs. The OP needs to chalk this up to a mistake and make as much restitution as he can immediately and pay the rest as soon as he can. No district attorney wants to take a case where he has to prove the defendants intent in a case like this, especially if the defendant is paying back the money. Imagine you are on the jury, He says its a mistake, the DA says it was intentional, and they both agree he paid the money back. Are you convicting the guy ?

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

How much were the checks for?

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

Hire a good lawyer and there will be no jail/conviction. Oh wait, that takes money.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Usually, checks are only good for 30 days. That would be up to your old boss to honor them.

Sounds like a few in here don't know about checks. It doesn't matter if they were endorsed. If you go to the bank
    or where ever to cash it, they give you the money and THEY keep the check. Don't know about doing it
    from the phone.

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

Quote Originally Posted by Seaweed View Post
    Take a taxi to the airport. Go to the information desk and say Peter Prefers Pancakes. Bend over to tie your shoe and wait 2 minutes to be handed a white envelope. In this envelope there will be 1 ticket to Santiago, Chile. Get on that plane and enjoy your new life with your new family.

I'm always amazed that you guys in the US are still using checks so much. In Germany (generally in Europe), they are basically 100% dead.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

You knew what you were doing and just hoping it went unnoticed. Then you were hoping someone here would have an answer to help you out.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

innovation
    innovation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 239

checks usually good for 180 days....unless you altered the date.....the bank would consider them stale dated.

I would practice putting soap on a rope......I think you'll find it handy.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

OP in county

Inno, hopefully he took your advice. Soap is hope, bronco

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by mpaschal34 View Post
    exactly!

why the fukk wouldnt u have cashed those checks already? whats the point of working if you dont even cash your paychecks????

Listen up pal. We all know you are lying to us. You ask us for advice... pretend we are your attorneys and dont lie to us. We can't help you if you are hiding facts from us.

Jikos
    Jikos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1114

Sounds like you're good. Why would your boss have funds subtracted unless the checks went through?

Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

I wouldn't worry too much. Just don't admit to anything.