TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Top 5 common scam businesses

#5 Computer Repair
    Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like the vast majority of what a computer repairer does can be done by yourself by always saving important files to software and just restoring the comp to a date prior to the problems or just formatting the computer if it gets really bad. That's what the computer tech does half the time and charges you for it. The worst are these companies you see on tv commercials, loads of complaints about them stealing from people and doing nothing.

#4 Banking
    Lending institutions, or usurers as they were formerly known, are scams from top to bottom. The hidden fees, bailouts, and preferential treatment from the government help make this business shady. It would take too long to go into all the details, but unfortunately banks have become integral to our economy while at the same time wreaking havoc upon it.

#3 Mechanic
    Probably 90% of mechanics give the other 10% a bad name. If you walk in to an auto shop and don't seem to have a clue it's like feeding time for sharks. Especially for women, very common to go in for a burned out light and leave with an appointment for a new transmission installation.

#2 Drug dealing
    While obviously unhealthy and predatory to the users it can't be number one as it does actually deliver goods that the customer demands and pays for. I'm not going to go as far as including big drug companies but they share many characteristics with the street dealer

#1 Sports touting
    The biggest scam business IMO. Preys on desperate people with gambling addictions but offers no actual product for the payment received, just tricks and illusions

Feel free to comment on the list or make your own
    Last edited by TheCentaur; 01-24-14 at 11:13 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: shari91, and SBRMAN23

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!
    Iwinyourmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 733

I would replace banking with home repair

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

I swear they intentionally put the spy/adware just so they can repair

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

What about insurance..?

I swear. It's a form of a legalized Ponzi scheme..

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Big day start selling insurance on wagers

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

mechanics.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post

Fukken brilliant!!!

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Don't forget about when you start racking in the points

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Don't forget about when you start racking in the points
    I might actually think about this...

Crazy, but their might be a serious market for a third party wager insurance.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

No doubt I'm being for real

Mitchell88
    Mitchell88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Lkidd that is a great idea, im surprised some of the guys in the pts forum haven't started doing this. good thought

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Did we just get rich?

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Did we just get rich?

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Problem is...

I have roughly 231 Pts capital.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Did we just get rich?
    In my thread

Don't forget that

25% in betpoints royalties sounds fair

747planes
    [Too Long]
    747planes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 334

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    #3 Mechanic
    Probably 90% of mechanics give the other 10% a bad name. If you walk in to an auto shop and don't seem to have a clue it's like feeding time for sharks. Especially for women, very common to go in for a burned out light and leave with an appointment for a new transmission installation.

#1 Sports touting
    The biggest scam business IMO. Preys on desperate people with gambling addictions but offers no actual product for the payment received, just tricks and illusions

Feel free to comment on the list or make your own
    Just like mechanics but here 99.5% of touts give bad name to the remaining good 0.5% of the good ones like bettingresource and ras. ras is no longer worth it because of line movement but he is not a scam. bettingresource is simply the best out there flying under the radar over the past few years.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
    Problem is...

I have roughly 231 Pts capital.

we can work that out

send me the business plan

I like the swot analysis color coded

test it with points then take it market $$$

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

In my thread

Don't forget that

25% in betpoints royalties sounds fair
    ok 2 points a day lol

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Nice saloon lay Low

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

A wager insurance thing wouldn't work.

Insurance works in things as financially perilous as insuring homes in "Tornado Alley" because of established mathematical models.

Insurance on wagers would be totally different because of the fact that degens could a) suck at betting and b) go on tilt.

Hypothetically say you had a "wager insurance business" where a poster gave you 500 points a month and you agreed to insure 400 points of lost wagers per month so that you had a profit of 100 bet points per poster who bought insurance (these numbers are decent numbers). One group of people on here wager so many bet points per month that they won't pay for the insurance because only being able to insure 400 points a month is basically meaningless to them. A second group wagers so little that they won't pay for the insurance because they may not even have 500 bet points to spare on something they don't feel they would need. Finally posters could decide to stiff you out of the insurance payment.

In my opinion the wager insurance thing presents too much risk and too little profit. I think a better route would be to do what the guys like Yisman do in the Points Sub-forum.

Granted it is almost 1:00 AM where I am and I have been up since 7:00 AM yesterday, so there may be some flaws in my logic.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Salooooooooned.

That tells us this will be fought by SBR..

i'll make a few calls.
    Last edited by BIGDAY; 01-25-14 at 12:04 AM.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by bubblebuttluv View Post
    A wager insurance thing wouldn't work.

Insurance works in things as financially perilous as insuring homes in "Tornado Alley" because of established mathematical models.

Insurance on wagers would be totally different because of the fact that degens could a) suck at betting and b) go on tilt.

Hypothetically say you had a "wager insurance business" where a poster gave you 500 points a month and you agreed to insure 400 points of lost wagers per month so that you had a profit of 100 bet points per poster who bought insurance (these numbers are decent numbers). One group of people on here wager so many bet points per month that they won't pay for the insurance because only being able to insure 400 points a month is basically meaningless to them. A second group wagers so little that they won't pay for the insurance because they may not even have 500 bet points to spare on something they don't feel they would need. Finally posters could decide to stiff you out of the insurance payment.

In my opinion the wager insurance thing presents too much risk and too little profit. I think a better route would be to do what the guys like Yisman do in the Points Sub-forum.

Granted it is almost 1:00 AM where I am and I have been up since 7:00 AM yesterday, so there may be some flaws in my logic.
    We would have deductibles pal..

Also, we will have fine print clearly stating separate higher deductibles for tilt wagers, similar to separate wind/hail deductibles for homeowners coverage.

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

We would have deductibles pal..

Also, we will have fine print clearly stating separate higher deductibles for lilt wagers, similar to separate wind/hail deductibles for homeowners coverage.
    I really do wish you and LKid1 the best of luck in your joint-venture.

The forum will be watching.

Good luck, BIGDAY.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by bubblebuttluv View Post
    I really do wish you and LKid1 the best of luck in your joint-venture.

The forum will be watching.

Good luck, BIGDAY.

We'll see. Most likely we are just talking through the brew flowing.

Cheers pal.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Unreal

Big day gonna buy out sbr john with this

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

College is the biggest scam going right now. They fckin print out new books every semester with the same information and make you buy it at an insane price while giving you nothing back for it when you're done because there's a new fckin book out. Shit isn't about education, it's about making money.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Every business is just as big a scam as the next one for any gullible person who doesn't know shit about what they are getting involved in.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    College is the biggest scam going right now. They fckin print out new books every semester with the same information and make you buy it at an insane price while giving you nothing back for it when you're done because there's a new fckin book out. Shit isn't about education, it's about making money.
    Yeah, that is why universities exist. Did something change in the last 15 years? I recall selling my books at the end of the semester for $10-$25 ish to stores in town. I don't think they paid that much so they could start a big fire and dance around it like wild engines.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Healthcare should be number 1 really, not even close.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by robmpink View Post
    Yeah, that is why universities exist. Did something change in the last 15 years? I recall selling my books at the end of the semester for $10-$25 ish to stores in town. I don't think they paid that much so they could start a big fire and dance around it like wild engines.
    Gotta make money, they just take it to a different level. Shit is new to me, I'm not a smart man.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

add: any service that charged the poor to help them reduce their *********** debt.

swiftyj
    swiftyj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

What about insurance..?

I swear. It's a form of a legalized Ponzi scheme..
    should be #2 on the list

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

we can work that out

send me the business plan

I like the swot analysis color coded

test it with points then take it market $$$

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

#5 Computer Repair
    Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like the vast majority of what a computer repairer does can be done by yourself by always saving important files to software and just restoring the comp to a date prior to the problems or just formatting the computer if it gets really bad. That's what the computer tech does half the time and charges you for it. The worst are these companies you see on tv commercials, loads of complaints about them stealing from people and doing nothing.
    Met a guy who worked on my company computer. Found out I was talking to the owner. One of the electrical sockets fried my computer causing windows not to load properly. Cost me around $85.00

We ended up talking more. He said every computer problem he finds... he charges at least $85.00 per client. He said... I don't even look at your computer if I feel I won't get $85.00 from you. Smart man. $85 X 5 computers a day = $425 not a bad pay day.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    I work in that industry. Prices are mostly dictated by greedy publishers trying to maintain unrealistic profit margins. Customs and packages/loose leafs are cheaply made with the same material as a national edition and those customs/loose leafs have little resale value which is why you get shit for them. Cengage & McGraw Hill are terrible (or good) at doing this. E-books aren't much better as they are just as expensive as the regular book sometimes (with a considerably less cost to produce them). Things like nursing, law, economics merit edition changes often but most subjects don't. Bookstore's markup is usually about 20%...which is small compared to most any other division of retail. Book prices are out of control though and that balloon has burst. Cengage recently became insolvent despite their books being the most expensive in the industry. They're trying to make up ground with labor cuts and increasing their prices. The kids end up getting shit on.

12 Last