Young fella pros paper trade

Please quit right now

Get a girl and work and enjoy life

Don't be a fukkin loser like me

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16
    FlipsideRM's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3216

I already work full time and am taking a full schedule of classes. Hop on my dick and enjoy the ride

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Your going to go broke young lad

It's gambling

If you want to invest blue chip stocks and hold forever or a top mutual fund

It's seems your a thrill seeker and looking to replace sports betting.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Your going to go broke young lad

It's gambling

If you want to invest blue chip stocks and hold forever or a top mutual fund

It's seems your a thrill seeker and looking to replace sports betting.
    There's no bigger thrill then sports betting. That's crack. I don't think watching a stock rise 5 cents a day is replacement

Scratch 23
    Scratch 23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 193

Investopedia is a great place to learn. They also have a simulator you can try ideas out on. Highly recommended.

Scratch 23
    Scratch 23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 193

Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post
    "Plastics son. Plastics"
    This isn't a bad idea as most of the 3d printers will be using some form of this.

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

Quote Originally Posted by FlipsideRM View Post
    Bubbles appreciate the thorough well thought out response !
    You're welcome.

Don't listen to the people that are talking shit about you and your dream.

You can be a successful investor.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21617

$1,000 and betting on penny stocks?

You have a much better chance betting on sports.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

$1000 in stock market is like $5 in sports betting, kid go back to the drawing board. The more I think about it the more I realize you have no business investing or gambling.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Jjgold the more you post the more I realize how much of a moron you actually are. I've said continuously throughout this thread that this is a FUTURE career path for me. This 500$ isn't going to make or break my bank. This is a LEARNING experience. I'm here because I'm asking for help on where to start, where to study, any tips help.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3435

Are we talking trading stocks or investing in a certain stock for a number of years.

no1here
    no1here's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6547

marijuana stocks which are mostly penney are exploding and an excellent way to go!!!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: amolg24

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Already been looking into medical marijuana^

InTheRed
    InTheRed's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17596

TDAmeritrade website:
    The NASD provides that a pattern day trader is any account that executes four or more round-trip day trades within any rolling five-business-day period, provided the number of day trades represents at least 6% of the total trading activity during the same five-business-day period.

If activity in your account is classified as "pattern day trading," you may be subject to the following restrictions:

• Minimum Equity Requirement – A pattern day trader's account must maintain a minimum equity of $25,000 at the start of any day in which day trading occurs. Pattern day-trader accounts that fall below the $25,000 minimum equity requirement will not be allowed to day trade. If a day trade is executed when the equity is below $25,000, the account will be restricted to closing transactions only for 90 days, or until the equity is brought up to $25,000.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

So then where should I trade?

packerd_00

Id suggest buy into Harley Davidson if I was going to buy stocks. But sit on them for a few years.

zacher
    Armed Rodgery
    zacher's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1499

Yeah the previous poster took what I was going to say, I'm 22 have owned my own lco for 5+ years untill selling recently and when I was in the money big (2 years ago) I decided to try my hand at day trading.

My uncle is a day trader and venture capitalist so I asked him for device he said zacher, your gonna have to learn the hard way, it's the only way to be successful in this world you can't grow with someone or go pick for pick, you'll never have more than they do (referring to himself) I dropped a grand in.. Didn't realize the 25k account that's legally required to trade more than a certain ammount of times a day..

Well like a dumb fukk dropped it all on penny stocks, this was right when musclepharm went public and bought a couple shares there as well, sat at the computer like I could analyze all the charts in front of me because I read day trading for dummies halfway through...to keep the story short lost 1k quicker than a roll at the craps table... I don't even know how, I don't understand what the fukk happened or where it went, it was there I pressed a few buttons thinking I'm selling for profit like 3 hours later boom gone, all of it. It was because I made more than the number or trades a day and I couldn't sell the shit stocks I had the numbers plummeted and I was breathless and down to like 10.59 left which you can't even withdrawal.. End of story I'm sure than money is still sitting in my account as well lol

I hope you read, and read, and read and then get to know someone who is successful and doesn't mind being your mentor (try to find someone who won't charge you)..

To day trade properly (trading on the minutes) you need programs that cost thousands of dollar to give you real time down to the second changes in patterns, usually multiple internet providers to generate the speed needing to power your computers because the data input and output at the rate required is unimaginable..

Just do your research and build your bankroll like with sports, then make a trade or two every few days, start SLOW don't just anticipate a boom big rush. It can be rewarding but without a backer and mentor it's going to be much more difficult

Good luck my friend, I often dream of trading stocks again one day when I have the time and patience to sit and learn

zacher
    Armed Rodgery
    zacher's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1499

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    Id suggest buy into Harley Davidson if I was going to buy stocks. But sit on them for a few years.

..... You know your from Wisconsin when........ Hahahah

amolg24
    amolg24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3317

medical marijuana stocks are the way to go for penny stocks...i recently started investing in them a two days ago and have made a decent return for just 48 hours.

amolg24
    amolg24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3317

Look into MJNA, HEMP, CBIS, and LATF are some really good ones.

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by zacher View Post
    ..... You know your from Wisconsin when........ Hahahah
    No actually my old man owns one, ive been to Milwaukee a couple of times though,really nice town.

Are you from GB.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Flip I admire you trying to get into this and you remind me of myself not that long ago.

1. You really should have more than 500 bucks. The entire market on average goes up about 7% per year. So in an average year you might make $35 dollars. Factor in that you will probably be paying 7 to 10 bucks per trade, 1 to buy, 1 to sell and you might net $15 dollars after 1 year in average market conditions. We are not in average market conditions.

2. As other posters mentioned, the market can be heavily rigged. You think the NBA was rigged 10 years ago, the market is worse.

3. Don't do penny stocks.

4. Figure out if you want to invest for the long term or if you want to trade and speculate. If you are going to trade you can expect to lose your money. If you double your money, double your money again, up 75%, up 90% but then are down 100% then you always wind up at zero. I'd recommend starting out paper trading or buying big companies you have heard of.

5. Don't worry if you lose money because you probably will but you have to start and learn somewhere. You are much better off losing 500 bucks now and learning the way the market works than trying to figure this stuff out when you are 40 and losing 50% of your money then. Consider this tuition for the school of hard knocks. Focus on learning, where you get your news, learn what moves the market, learn about the FED, just learn, watch the business channels, read financial news and earnings reports and books.

6. I agree 100% with the other poster with the long response. Don't believe in the crap the egg head professors tell you about a random walk or efficient market hypothesis. These are egg head academics that haven't invested a day in their life and want to justify their 6 figure salaries. Oh and the odd thing is these guys dream of and idolize successful traders.

7. The market is hitting new highs, right now probably isn't a great time to get started. Learn what short selling is.

8. Don't listen to anything that stinky Persian NYsportsguy says.

9 Fade the public, don't listen to the opinions of the people on TV and you will even read smarter guys on message boards and think you have "locks". Do your own damn due diligence.

10 Be patient

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    Flip I admire you trying to get into this and you remind me of myself not that long ago.

1. You really should have more than 500 bucks. The entire market on average goes up about 7% per year. So in an average year you might make $35 dollars. Factor in that you will probably be paying 7 to 10 bucks per trade, 1 to buy, 1 to sell and you might net $15 dollars after 1 year in average market conditions. We are not in average market conditions.

2. As other posters mentioned, the market can be heavily rigged. You think the NBA was rigged 10 years ago, the market is worse.

3. Don't do penny stocks.

4. Figure out if you want to invest for the long term or if you want to trade and speculate. If you are going to trade you can expect to lose your money. If you double your money, double your money again, up 75%, up 90% but then are down 100% then you always wind up at zero. I'd recommend starting out paper trading or buying big companies you have heard of.

5. Don't worry if you lose money because you probably will but you have to start and learn somewhere. You are much better off losing 500 bucks now and learning the way the market works than trying to figure this stuff out when you are 40 and losing 50% of your money then. Consider this tuition for the school of hard knocks. Focus on learning, where you get your news, learn what moves the market, learn about the FED, just learn, watch the business channels, read financial news and earnings reports and books.

6. I agree 100% with the other poster with the long response. Don't believe in the crap the egg head professors tell you about a random walk or efficient market hypothesis. These are egg head academics that haven't invested a day in their life and want to justify their 6 figure salaries. Oh and the odd thing is these guys dream of and idolize successful traders.

7. The market is hitting new highs, right now probably isn't a great time to get started. Learn what short selling is.

8. Don't listen to anything that stinky Persian NYsportsguy says.

9 Fade the public, don't listen to the opinions of the people on TV and you will even read smarter guys on message boards and think you have "locks". Do your own damn due diligence.

10 Be patient
    Excatly, cant do it on the cheap if you want to get anywhere with stocks.

C-Gold

Even if he started with 1000 bucks, made 10% that's only 100 bucks minus a buy and a sell so he made what, 80 bucks on above average market returns? That's not even enough money for a night out at the bar.

Also if you are going to buy and hold don't expect it to be "fun or exciting". You buy 1000 dollars worth of Johnson and Johnson, you have no diversification and you hope it goes up 10+% per year? That's not fun or exciting.

If you want to trade trade but don't do penny stocks. Trade tech stocks or small caps where you think you can have an edge.

As far as how to get started, you might be able to get 200 free trades or something like that with a discount broker. Use whoever, it is all the same, it is just a commodity. You fill out some paper work, might want to overstate your income some, and they make you fill in some check boxes, say that you are an aggressive investor with a high risk tolerance.

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    Even if he started with 1000 bucks, made 10% that's only 100 bucks minus a buy and a sell so he made what, 80 bucks on above average market returns? That's not even enough money for a night out at the bar.

Also if you are going to buy and hold don't expect it to be "fun or exciting". You buy 1000 dollars worth of Johnson and Johnson, you have no diversification and you hope it goes up 10+% per year? That's not fun or exciting.

If you want to trade trade but don't do penny stocks. Trade tech stocks or small caps where you think you can have an edge.

As far as how to get started, you might be able to get 200 free trades or something like that with a discount broker. Use whoever, it is all the same, it is just a commodity. You fill out some paper work, might want to overstate your income some, and they make you fill in some check boxes, say that you are an aggressive investor with a high risk tolerance.
    I know its no fun if you want to hold a stock but I know it can be profitable I got Polaris stock 10 years ago and at that time it was around 35 bucks a share and since then its climbed to 145 dollars a share.

I dont know if this guy was serious havent seen him check in recently. Cant go into this just purely looking to make fast cash.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

You're bound to drown. You don't invade the stock market..You invest slowly but surely and build your net worth. You're a fuking mad genius if you can get your money to grow 10% a year, every year.

If you're trading for a living, making enough money to live off and keep building your portfolio...You'd make more money selling Kirby vacum cleaners.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    I know its no fun if you want to hold a stock but I know it can be profitable I got Polaris stock 10 years ago and at that time it was around 35 bucks a share and since then its climbed to 145 dollars a share.

I dont know if this guy was serious havent seen him check in recently. Cant go into this just purely looking to make fast cash.
    Agreed and it's not even prudent to put all 1,000 dollars into 1 stock even if it is JNJ.

packerd_00

No true,you need to spread it around abit,I cant see J@J increasing its share price all that much.

Like I said HD would be a good stock to buy,there a very solid Company,there share price are reasonable. Or also Under Armour there a rising company.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

A 1,000 or even 500 dollars is a fine amount to start with because you should be investing more every year. Especially if you're young it adds up over-time, you should open a roth-IRA and invest for your future. I've had one since I was 18.

Also, Investing is not day trading. You're buying a stock and going long on it, you don't worry about dips other than to buy more. You can't mix the two, you need to have two different mindsets. If I were you and was starting at 0 again, I'd focus more on investing and when you have some experience with the market after some years and extra money after your degree, then start an options account at td ameritrade.

If you're going to day trade with $500 that's fine, if you lose it who cares? Only $500 but at what point does it add up to something you could have actually invested is the problem.
    Last edited by brooks85; 01-13-14 at 01:19 PM.

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    A 1,000 or even 500 dollars is a fine amount to start with because you should be investing more every year. Especially if you're young it adds up over-time, you should open a roth-IRA and invest for your future. I've had one since I was 18.

Also, Investing is not day trading. You're buying a stock and going long on it, you don't worry about dips other than to buy more. You can't mix the two, you need to have two different mindsets. If I were you and was starting at 0 again, I'd focus more on investing and when you have some experience with the market after some years and extra money after your degree, then start an options account at td ameritrade.

If you're going to day trade with $500 that's fine, if you lose it who cares? Only $500 but at what point does it add up to something you could have actually invested is the problem.
    I think the guy was just jerking us around,thinking it would be easy money.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14308

Timberrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15072

Finally got my first SELL signal on the S&P since January. It's counter-trend, so not as severe as it could be, but a sell signal nonetheless. Take it for what it's worth. Proceed with caution.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Flip you seem like a decent guy, good luck.

pattymayo
    pattymayo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

Flip gave up on his investing dreams and returned to the sports betting world it seems

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13164

Quote Originally Posted by pattymayo View Post
    Flip gave up on his investing dreams and returned to the sports betting world it seems
    Sports investing

First 123 Last