easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

Anyone take Acid Reducers on a regular basis?

been having stomach issues for quite a few years and last year I tested positive for H. Pylori took the pills and was good to go afterwards and was negative afterwards. Took Omeprazole for a while longer then stopped taking it and was fine for a while but now having stomach issues again especially sleeping at night etc. Saw my doctor said I should get back on the Omeprazole 1 day but I'm hesitant to get back on it. Anyone take them for an extended period of time?

NavsPicks
    NavsPicks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1877

Tums

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

I had been having stomach issues and my doctor prescribed prevacid along with align (probiotic) and some probiotic yogurt.

I had align lying around started taking it again, and within a few days my problems were solved. Never got around to the prevacid.

My grandma takes prevacid on a daily basis and has for the past 8 years. There's no long term side effects tied to this class of drugs.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

i take zantac 150 everyday.

its the only thing i've found that works.

i tried that omezprazole or however u spell it and had bad side effects

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Best way to treat it is to change your diet.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Best way to treat it is to change your diet.
    This too. Cut as much greasy, processed food as possible from your diet.

The Kraken

I think acid reducers have there place but only as a bridge therapy until you do cut out all the greasy or "culprit" foods.

And then of course for the small number of people that really just produce way too much stomach acid and suffer from ulcers as a result.

Interestingly, people that chronically take acid reducers such as omeprazole, lower the pH of their stomach, allowing opportunistic organisms to grow. The main bacteria that grows causes pneumonia. So chronic users suffer from pneumonia more than non users.

Whoda thunk it

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

H. pyroli can come back. Make sure it didn't come back first

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

Quote Originally Posted by LordVodka View Post
    H. pyroli can come back. Make sure it didn't come back first
    wasn't aware of this gonna get tested again soon. Was watching my diet for a while but haven't been too careful with it the past few months.

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

I've taken Rx Omeprazole 20mg for years. I don't notice any side effects but maybe I'm just used to them. Diet doesn't matter for some people, I can literally get heartburn from water it's so bad. I get it so bad sometimes that my ears burn. Probably comes from years of hard drinking, but I had it early in my career too.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

I've had reflux issues over half my life. I took everything, and was good for about 4-5 Rolaids a day. Nexium was the only thing that worked well for me, then when I changed insurance providers it jumped from $20 to $180.

Then I went to a slow-carb diet. Cut out carbs, especially bullshit white carbs like breads and sugars for 6 days a week (then go nuts on the 7th day). Reflux issues cut down by a good 90%. I Zantac up on that 7th day, and almost never have to take it again.

It was a revelation, but a kick in the balls too because I had tried to pinpoint every last little thing it could be that was making me so miserable. Turns out my body just didn't digest carbs very well. I had milk, cereal, jelly and toast every morning since I was 4 yrs old, and it was setting me up for disaster every fukking day.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of other people who suffer from reflux have that as the main culprit too and just don't realize it. Why keep putting expensive band-aids on it when you can make one healthy change and damn near kill it altogether?

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9788

you don't need any of that. Its been posted many times.

Just drink some apple cider vinegar and do some research

The Kraken

If it were as easy as apple cider vinegar, there'd be no market for antacids. Apple cider vinegar may help some but on a broad scale, it would be near the bottom of things expected to work. Let me guess, cinnamon and cayenne pepper can put pharm companies out business

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I get heartburn pretty badly a few times a month......My heartburn is a shooting pain in my chest....pretty much feels like a heart attack would. I don't burp or spit up anything, it's just a bad pain that lasts a few hours at night

A shot of apple cider vinegar actually works better than tums or any of that shit for me.....Nexium also helps

I love spicy foods, which is a trigger sometimes...The worst thing is italian food/red tomato sauce, it will pretty much guarantee heartburn.....Also usually get it after a night of drinking

The Kraken

Pizza for me. I wake up with trouble breathing, chest on gire

porterkid69
    porterkid69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4392

Read a report and it works, just eat an apple a day (any kind of apple). This will get rid of heartburn. Just give it a try.

Thunder Gulch
    Thunder Gulch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Have taken Omeprazole off and on for at least 10 years. Honestly, I try to limit it to Friday-Sunday because those are the days where I am less careful about my diet and more prone to drink a few beers. The stuff works great if taken in advance, and I've never had any side effects.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch View Post
    Have taken Omeprazole off and on for at least 10 years. Honestly, I try to limit it to Friday-Sunday because those are the days where I am less careful about my diet and more prone to drink a few beers. The stuff works great if taken in advance, and I've never had any side effects.
    Me either. What side effects have you people had?

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    you don't need any of that. Its been posted many times.

Just drink some apple cider vinegar and do some research
    that will give you the runs

no1here
    no1here's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6547

1971 boot camp was told to train the body to shit every morning, till this day still done. Brother died at 52 from taking tums daily.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by no1here View Post
    1971 boot camp was told to train the body to shit every morning, till this day still done. Brother died at 52 from taking tums daily.
    whats the point of shitting every morning? some sort of health benifet?

and r u serious about dying from taking Tums?

i been taking zantac 150 every day is that bad?

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Prevacid 2 times per day/ 30 ** each. Have nissen fundoplication surgery to reduce acid reflux. (I have an extreme case and it's a bear to deal with--at times, the acid affects my vocal chords). "Somebody always has it worse."

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

I have the worst GERD known to man kind from liquor mostly.

Alka Selzter I drink like 3 times a day, eat tums, chew alka selzer, take pepcid, nexium, all that shit

So painful to hiccup or burb, but what' ya gonna do.

no1here
    no1here's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6547

not sure but stuck with me for 40 years, to get rid of the waste, some people don't crap for days
    Yes my brother died with the bottom 5 inches of his esophagus destroyed. know nothing of zantac

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    whats the point of shitting every morning? some sort of health benifet?

and r u serious about dying from taking Tums?

i been taking zantac 150 every day is that bad?

queensryche
    queensryche's Avatar Become A Pro!

aciphex works nice