SharpBoxing
    SharpBoxing's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5521

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    Gold can go down also. It is subject to the same market fluctuations that any asset is subject to. Gold crashed from the 70's until the early 2000's and it probably will again UNLESS the shit really hits the fan, which is possible and all but still. If you ever end up having to barter gold, you will have a lot bigger problems because society as you know it will be destroyed.
    Im not talking about an apocalypse type of scenario. Im thinking more of a scenario where currencies are pegged again to gold.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Quote Originally Posted by SharpBoxing View Post
    Im not talking about an apocalypse type of scenario. Im thinking more of a scenario where currencies are pegged again to gold.
    Yeah right.

That's like saying I believe the government is going to end the fed, or the federal income tax, or social security, or welfare.

In case you haven't noticed governments take MORE power not voluntarily give it up. No chance in hell they give up the printing press. They would rather default or go through a 1930's German example than give up the printing press.

SharpBoxing

Yeah right.

That's like saying I believe the government is going to end the fed, or the federal income tax, or social security, or welfare.

In case you haven't noticed governments take MORE power not voluntarily give it up. No chance in hell they give up the printing press. They would rather default or go through a 1930's German example than give up the printing press.
    I guess it will take an apocalypse type of currency crash in order to go back to a gold standard again.

But the way things are going, I wouldnt be suprised if that crash happens in the near future.

C-Gold

One of the famous investors pointed out that we are in worse shape than we were in 2008/2009 and I agree.

SharpBoxing

One of the famous investors pointed out that we are in worse shape than we were in 2008/2009 and I agree.
    Of course we are. Only reason why we dont have a full blown depression is because the gov borrowed allot of money to stimulate the economy. But what happens when the gov cant borrow anymore money. Who is going to bail out the government.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by SharpBoxing View Post
    Of course we are. Only reason why we dont have a full blown depression is because the gov borrowed allot of money to stimulate the economy. But what happens when the gov cant borrow anymore money. Who is going to bail out the government.
    or if interest rates start creeping up.

I don't think people get it. This economy is fked for years and the bailouts did not help us one bit.

sbrhedge
    sbrhedge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Is your 3D printer company on the pink sheets, ADR, Stockholm exchange? What's the ticker?
    He's talking about Arcam AB - AMAVF.

The liquidity is not there, so you might want to trade it like a carry position.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Arcam ab

mnwild11
    mnwild11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4005

I am long INVN, they just dropped 12% or so opening another buying opportunity. I have been riding these guys for a while and make some steady cash off them.

Also, am long MOS. Someone posted earlier about POT which is sharp as well.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

In American Eagle Outfitters AEO check it out

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Holy shit, I didn't realize how well my stock is doing.

Up to $171.

The guy who is working this money for me told me to sell out at $118 which I did and strongly advised me not to buy back in at $128, which I ignored. Fukkers. That's where gambling mindset pays off, for once.

This is legitimately one of my first stock investments and have no idea when to sell. I am thinking of unloading at $175 if it gets there. I am also thinking of letting this sucker ride.

Anyone have any pointers for selling? Not about this stock specifically, but just generally how to gauge when a stock should be sold.
    Last edited by ChalkyDog; 11-18-13 at 04:09 PM.

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

We got a stock pick thread, goldy

KingJD31

2 pts niggga lips
    Quote Originally Posted by jarvol View Post
    Yes we trade.....we don't fukkin hold much. AMZN, POT and WLT are the only things I have held for the past several weeks. Trade the gold range with NUGT and DUST. It is like printing $$$.

KingJD31

No he's really not
    Quote Originally Posted by You mad bro View Post
    dude you are so wrong

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post

Up to $171.

The guy who is working this money for me told me to sell out at $118 which I did and strongly advised me not to buy back in at $128, which I ignored. Fukkers. That's where gambling mindset pays off, for once.

This is legitimately one of my first stock investments and have no idea when to sell. I am thinking of unloading at $175 if it gets there. I am also thinking of letting this sucker ride.

Anyone have any pointers for selling? Not about this stock specifically, but just generally how to gauge when a stock should be sold.
    My strength is buying low, or buying good companies. My weakness is knowing when to sell. I normally sell out too early and then end up kicking myself but I'd rather sell out too early than too late.

Also don't just think about that company, think about the larger economy as a whole. If we get into another recession then everything will go down including your stock.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11105

Take the advice of Jim Cramer...

Every stock comes with an expiration date, Cramer said, and knowing when to sell is just as important as knowing when to buy.
    “When you’ve got a serious winner, even if you think it still has many years of gains left in it, you have to take some profits. Period. No discussion,” he said. “I know you’ll be tempted to let your winners ride, but that’s a mistake.”

Another important concept: Playing with the house’s money.

“When you own a stock that’s had a huge multiyear run, you want to trim your position to the point where all the money you have invested in that stock comes from profits you’ve already made, and not a penny comes from your original investment.
    “Once you pare back your winners so that you're playing with the house’s money, you can afford to take more risks with what’s left. That’s the holy grail of investing because you are in a can’t-lose position.”

http://www.cnbc.com/id/48784168

Up to $171.

sbrhedge

Up to $171.

170 is kind of a big pivot point, so i hope you sold it when it went below that figure.

taking a dive now at 157.

Joey Blaze
    Joey Blaze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 916

I ran a very successful investment club which from inception in 2008 to end of 2012 yeilded a steady 25% yearly gain.. with that being said there are VERY few stocks I like right now and I think the market manipulation has reached all time highs.. I have always had a tech bias and if I was told I could only own 1 stock for the rest of my life without question it would be google.. followed closely by IBM

people still ask me for investment advice regularly and I always counter with the question what is your holding period?

short term I like nothing but gold and silver BULLION because rampant inflation is something that is here to stay

medium term (1-3) years I really like facebook and netflix.. every time I log on to facebook I see they are experimenting with new ways to monetize their site and as you can see in their 10K's they are turning a real profit.. the other angle I like is the purchase they made of instagram which is my favorite social media of choice.. once they monetize that the profits should rise sharply... the chart on netflix has gone parabolic as they continue to pick up additional licensing deals thus adding additional content to their arsenal.. I like netflix so much I finally cut the cord on my cable tv and I barely miss it..

but yea long term GOOG and IBM are always smart plays they have their hands in everything and I like companies that other companies depend on to do business
    Last edited by Joey Blaze; 11-19-13 at 08:50 PM.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Blaze View Post
    I ran a very successful investment club which from inception in 2008 to end of 2012 yeilded a steady 25% yearly gain.. with that being said there are VERY few stocks I like right now and I think the market manipulation has reached all time highs.. I have always had a tech bias and if I was told I could only own 1 stock for the rest of my life without question it would be google.. followed closely by IBM

people still ask me for investment advice regularly and I always counter with the question what is your holding period?

short term I like nothing but gold and silver BULLION because rampant inflation is something that is here to stay

medium term (1-3) years I really like facebook and netflix.. every time I log on to facebook I see they are experimenting with new ways to monetize their site and as you can see in their 10K's they are turning a real profit.. the other angle I like is the purchase they made of instagram which is my favorite social media of choice.. once they monetize that the profits should rise sharply... the chart on netflix has gone parabolic as they continue to pick up additional licensing deals thus adding additional content to their arsenal.. I like netflix so much I finally cut the cord on my cable tv and I barely miss it..

but yea long term GOOG and IBM are always smart plays they have their hands in everything and I like companies that other companies depend on to do business
    IBM's quality is going down. They don't call it Indian Business Machines for nothing. They are losing their brand and losing their name. People in the know don't like using them anymore and that counts for something.

Facebook might make money, but they could also terminally decline like myspace, or they could fail to monetize what they have now.

I agree on Google.

I agree the market is overvalued.

I agree the market is being manipulated.

Disagree on gold.

Is the NFLX ride over? It has gone up tremendously, at the very least the easy money has been made.

sbrhedge

it looks like your short-term period is about 3-6 months, but don't you think the technicals look a little weak on on gold and silver? commodities in general are pointing to short-term deflation.

i stay away from shorting in general in this type of environment, but FB and NFLX might have priced in a lot of their future expansion plans. they might go up, but i think there are better stocks to play in 1-3 years out.

i avoid trading long-term: i am unsure about Yellen and some other stuff. good luck with your GOOG and IBM.

i mostly agree with c-gold above, but i think the market is having a hard time going down, so i'm trading up.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Once saw a Warren Buffet interview where he said something along the lines of "I read reports....if I like the business I buy the stock" when the interviewer asked him what his secret was.

sbrhedge

Up to $171.

did you sell this AMAVF Arcam stock? it looks like it's diving - getting hit @ 149 now. volatile sector.

Joey Blaze
    Joey Blaze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 916

IBM's quality is going down. They don't call it Indian Business Machines for nothing. They are losing their brand and losing their name. People in the know don't like using them anymore and that counts for something.

Facebook might make money, but they could also terminally decline like myspace, or they could fail to monetize what they have now.

I agree on Google.

I agree the market is overvalued.

I agree the market is being manipulated.

Disagree on gold.

Is the NFLX ride over? It has gone up tremendously, at the very least the easy money has been made.
    Let me address each of your comments individually..

My interest in IBM is in the long term viability of the company.. their traditional money maker has been the server market but with the into of cloud computing all server makers are feeling the pinch.. Instead I am in huge favor of the money they are investing in future technologies I.E. smart grid technology and water desalinization just to name a few.. they can see the tides have changed and they are changing with the times.. they are a best of breed company and can hang with any other tech giant in terms of what they offer to the market

Facebook MAY eventually decline like myspace did but the fact of the matter is they are still the largest social media site on the internet and as a long time facebook user every day I log on I can see new ways where they are making money.. do not undervalue the the ability that instagram has to make money in the future either..

Gold is gold.. I tend not to even pay much attention to the daily spot price of gold because I plan to keep my gold investments for the rest of my life and hand them down to my children... I do agree gold is not the right play if you are looking to make a quick buck but I feel without a doubt it is still the safest hedge against inflation known to man.. A mentor of mine once gave me this analogy and it stuck with me for life.. in ancient roman times a one ounce gold coin could buy a man a nice suit.. in the days of christopher columbus a one ounce gold coin could buy you a nice suit.. in the early 1900's a one ounce gold coin could buy a man a nice suit.. today at nearly $1300/oz id say we could both agree that a one ounce gold coin could buy you a nice suit right? Case in point I see no other investment vehicle that can allow you to lock in tomorrows purchasing power at todays price. Personally I like silver better from a strictly investment standpoint because if you look at the historic correlation between the prices of gold and silver over the last 100 years you will see a huge divergence in the silver price in proportion to silver in the last 10 or so years.. but at the end of the day I buy gold because I like how it looks and feels in my hand and it takes up far less space which could be to my advantage if in the future the shit hits the fan and I need to pack up my wealth on move on quickly

Is the NFLX ride over? No I dont think so at all.. I have been a loyal subscriber to the company since their inception when they were still a mail order dvd rental business and I am very impressed with the strides they have taken to be able to change with the times.. They still have HUGE deals to be made with the major movie studios and with each studio that signs on it puts pressure on the rest to get on board since at some point in the near future it will became a much larger part of the studios revenue stream. Last but not least the monthly sub is about $8 a month right now.. If they doubled that price I have to admit I will still subscribe because they are well worth that for how much use I get out of the company. Is the easy money already made? Maybe.. but this pig still has room to run..
    Last edited by Joey Blaze; 11-20-13 at 10:21 AM.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Just bought IRDM...

sbrhedge

AMAVF - ARCAM AB now @ 142 down 10% - this 3D printing stock is getting trashed.

sbrhedge

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Just bought IRDM...
    scary looking chart - GL

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Book shows to be worth $13 per, what are you seeing differently?

Thx

sbrhedge

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Book shows to be worth $13 per, what are you seeing differently?

Thx

i only prefer chart patterns confirming fundamentals like your book valuation. i give up on catching lows,, but i avoid getting stuck with a falling knife. that's on a longer term chart like IRDM.

i wonder if they are going to put in a bottom on these 3D stocks .. i'd like to pick off more DDD if i can.

sbrhedge

Up to $171.

Are you out of this Arcam stock? It opened at $116, down $21.

I think the guy working this money for you is a lot smarter than you think. I want his phone number to manage some of my money.

C-Gold

Let me address each of your comments individually..

My interest in IBM is in the long term viability of the company.. they are a best of breed company and can hang with any other tech giant in terms of what they offer to the market

Facebook MAY eventually decline like myspace did but the fact of the matter is they are still the largest social media site on the internet

Gold is gold.. I tend not to even pay much attention to the daily spot price of gold

Is the NFLX ride over? No I dont think so at all..
    You only talk about the companies not the price and the value.

IBM isn't the same IBM. They outsource everything to India and only hire indians here. They are not the best at anything they do. People view the Indian quality as low and they call them Indian business machines. They are like the low quality McDonalds in their markets.

Facebook has a lot of users. So what? They aren't making a ton of money and they have no moat. Kids today don't even use or like facebook.

If you want a hedge against inflation there are others besides gold. Silver in fact is more modestly priced and all the arguments that hold for gold hold for silver and silver has more industrial use. Same with copper and other metals.

You mention the NFLX service, but what about the price? The stock price has exploded.

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

You guys know so little about stock investing in this thread it is laughable....

However I do agree within the next 6 months or so Facebook could hit in the mid to high $60 per share range. **** is another solid performer last 5 years or so.

I'm not gonna give out any real potential goodies on this thread though.

NYSportsGuy210

It edited out V I S A inc. (V) on my post above.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by NYSportsGuy210 View Post
    You guys know so little about stock investing in this thread it is laughable....

However I do agree within the next 6 months or so Facebook could hit in the mid to high $60 per share range. **** is another solid performer last 5 years or so.

I'm not gonna give out any real potential goodies on this thread though.
    Yeah but the hamburger with the Che picture knows about investing? Let me guess, you work for a broker, that doesn't mean you know shit. GFY

NYSportsGuy210

Yeah but the hamburger with the Che picture knows about investing? Let me guess, you work for a broker, that doesn't mean you know shit. GFY
    So dumb.....typical overrated SBR clown.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by NYSportsGuy210 View Post
    So dumb.....typical overrated SBR clown.
    Occutard hipster piece of Jersey trash. You don't know shit about the market and outside of your tri state area you are a fkin joke.

First 123 Last