PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Welcome to the United Police States of America

Welcome to the United Police States of America

“There are always risks in challenging excessive police power, but the risks of not challenging it are more dangerous, even fatal.”

-Hunter S. Thompson, Kingdom of Fear: Loathsome Secrets of a Star-Crossed Child in the Final Days of the American Century

No longer is it unusual to hear about incidents in which police shoot unarmed individuals first and ask questions later. What is unusual is our lack of outrage, the relative disinterest of our elected representatives, the media’s abysmal failure to ask questions and demand answers, and our growing acceptance of the status quo in the United Police States of America-a status quo in which “we the people” are powerless in the face of the heavy-handed tactics employed by the government and its armed agents.

However, as I document in my book A Government of Wolves: The Emerging American Police State, it’s all part of the larger police state continuum. Thus, with each tragic shooting that is shrugged off or covered up, each piece of legislation passed that criminalizes otherwise legal activities, every surveillance drone that takes to the skies, every phone call, email or text that is spied on, and every transaction that is monitored, the government’s stranglehold over our lives grows stronger.

We have been silent about too many things for too long, not the least of which is the deadly tendency on the part of police to resort to lethal force. However, as Martin Luther King Jr. reminded us, “There comes a time when silence is betrayal.”

For the sake of 13-year-old Andy Lopez, we can be silent no more. The Santa Rosa teen was shot dead after two sheriff’s deputies saw him carrying a toy BB gun in public. Lopez was about 20 feet away from the deputies, his back turned to them, when the officers took cover behind their car and ordered him to drop the “weapon.” When Lopez turned around, toy gun in his hand, one of the officers-a 24-year veteran of the force-shot him seven times. The time span between the deputies calling in a suspicious person sighting and shooting Lopez was a mere ten seconds. The young boy died at the scene. Clearly, no attempt was made to use less lethal force.

Rationalizing the shooting incident, Lt. Paul Henry of the Santa Rosa Police Department explained, “The deputy’s mindset was that he was fearful that he was going to be shot.” Yet as William Norman Grigg, a commentator for LewRockwell.com, points out, such a “preoccupation with ‘officer safety’ … leads to unnecessary police shootings. A peace officer is paid to assume certain risks, including those necessary to de-escalate a confrontation with someone believed to be a heavily armed suspect in a residential neighborhood. A ‘veteran’ deputy with the mindset of a peace officer would have taken more than a shaved fraction of a split-second to open fire on a small male individual readily identifiable as a junior high school student, who was carrying an object that is easily recognizable as a toy-at least to people who don’t see themselves as an army of occupation, and view the public as an undifferentiated mass of menace.”

Unfortunately, this police preoccupation with ensuring their own safety at all costs-a mindset that many older law enforcement officials find abhorrent in light of the more selfless code on which they were trained-is spreading like a plague among the ranks of police officers across the country, with tragic consequences for the innocent civilians unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yet the fatality rate of on-duty patrol officers is reportedly far lower than many other professions, including construction, logging, fishing, truck driving, and even trash collection. In fact, police officers have the same rate of dying on the job as do taxi drivers.

Nevertheless, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, 400 to 500 innocent people are killed by police officers every year. That does not include the number of unarmed individuals shot and injured by police simply because they felt threatened or feared for their safety. This is the danger of having a standing army (which is what police forces, increasingly made up of individuals with military backgrounds and/or training, have evolved into) that has been trained to view the citizenry as little more than potential suspects, combatants and insurgents.

Consider what happened in Cleveland, when two police officers mistook the sounds of a backfiring car for gunfire and immediately began pursuing the 1979 Chevrolet Malibu and its two occupants, a woman driver and a man in the passenger seat. Within 20 minutes, more than 60 police cars, some unmarked, and 115 officers had joined the pursuit, which ended in a full blown-out firefight in a middle school parking lot that saw 140 bullets fired in less than 30 seconds. Once the smoke cleared, it quickly became evident that not only had the officers been mistakenly firing at each other but the “suspects”-dead from countless bullet wounds-were unarmed. As the Plain Dealer reports:

Despite varying levels of experience, all 13 officers who fired their guns-and many who did not-told investigators they thought deadly force was needed to stop a violent encounter with two suspects who they believed were armed. “I've never been more afraid in my life,” said Officer Michael Brelo, who fired 49 shots that night. “I thought my partner and I were being shot and that we were going to be killed.”

Incredibly, no officers were injured in the shooting. Nor was any apparent effort made to resolve the situation using less lethal force. Sixty-three of the officers involved in the fatal shooting have since been suspended.

I doubt the police officers involved in this massacre are bad cops in the sense of being corrupt and on the take, or violent and abusive, or bloodthirsty and trigger happy. Nor are they any different from most of the cops who patrol communities large and small across the country. Just like you and me, these officers have spouses and children to care for, homes to maintain, bills to pay, and worries that keep them up at night. Like most of us, they strive to do their jobs as best as they know how, but that’s where the problem arises, because they have clearly been poorly trained in how to distinguish what is a real threat. They have also been indoctrinated into the mindset that they have a right to protect themselves at all cost and empowered to shoot first and ask questions later with a veritable arsenal of military artillery, much of which has been provided by the federal government.

These shootings are occurring with such frequency now that they are quickly forgotten, lost in the morass of similarly heartbreaking, tragic incidents. It was barely a month ago, for example, that police in Washington, DC, shot and killed 34-year-old Miriam Carey after she collided with a barrier leading to the White House, then fled when pursued by a phalanx of gun-wielding police and cop cars. Carey’s 1-year-old daughter was in the backseat. Seventeen gun shots later, Carey was dead and her toddler motherless. It was what is known as a “bad shoot.” As James Mulvaney, a professor of law and police science, explains: “A ‘good shoot’ in police lingo is one in which officers use deadly force to prevent a suspect from inflicting serious harm. A ‘bad shoot’ is one in which there might have been a nonlethal alternative.”

Even the suggestion that there are nonlethal alternatives is misleading. Nonlethal weapons such as tasers, stun guns, rubber pellets and the like, introduced with a government guarantee of safety for the public and adopted by police departments across the country purportedly because they would help restrain violent individuals, have resulted in police using them as weapons of compliance more often and with less restraint-even against women and children-and in some instances, even causing death.

These “nonlethal” weapons also enable police to aggress with the push of a button, making the potential for overblown confrontations over minor incidents that much more likely. Case in point: the fact that seven-months pregnant Malaika Brooks was tased three times for refusing to sign a speeding ticket, while Keith Cockrell was shot with a taser for jaywalking.

Researchers have discovered that dehumanizing weapons like guns or tasers, which do not require the aggressor (police) to make physical contact with his victim, are aggression-eliciting stimuli. One study found that simply showing an image of a gun to students caused them to clench their fists faster (a sign of aggressive effect) when presented with an aversive situation. If a simple handgun can noticeably increase violent behavior, one can only imagine what impact the $500 million dollars’ worth of weapons and armored vehicles (provided by the Pentagon to local police in states and municipalities across the country) have on already tense and potentially explosive situations.

So what is the answer?

How should we as a society respond when we hear about the Las Vegas police officer who shot an unarmed man at a convenience store whom he “thought” was a homicide suspect, or the Los Angeles cop who shot an unarmed man seen leaving a convenience store where an ATM had been robbed of $40 or the DC cops who killed a young mother in a hail of gunfire? As John Grant notes for Counterpunch: “The ignominious and unnecessary public killing of Miriam Carey should be a human marker that triggers our cultural meaning machine to honestly consider what’s wrong with the picture of a howling pack of cops shooting down a troubled young mother … like a dog.”

The current practice is to let the police deal with it themselves by suspending the officer involved with administrative pay, dragging out the investigation until the public forgets about the incident, and then eventually declaring the shooting incident justified based on the officer’s fear for his safety, and allowing him to go back to work as usual. Meanwhile, the epidemic of police violence continues to escalate while fear of the police increases and the police state, with all its surveillance gear and military weaponry, expands around us.

If ever there were a time to de-militarize and de-weaponize local police forces, it’s now. The same goes for scaling back on the mindset adopted by cops that they are the law and should be revered, feared and obeyed. As for the idea that citizens must be compliant or risk being treated like lawbreakers, that’s nothing more than authoritarianism with a badge. As Grant points out: “As the public killing of Miriam Carey should make clear, a significant part of the problem is cops and the pack mentality they too often resort to. These men and women are encouraged to see themselves on “the front line” protecting us, the people. They are pumped up with post-911 fears and adrenaline and, when it hits the fan, relentlessly determined to get their man or woman. A lot of reality can get lost in this process.”

In other words, it’s time for a reality check, for both the police and the citizens of this nation, and a good place to start is with the words of that gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson, who warned: “Coming of age in a fascist police state will not be a barrel of fun for anybody, much less for people like me, who are not inclined to suffer Nazis gladly and feel only contempt for the cowardly flag-suckers who would gladly give up their outdated freedom to live for the mess of pottage they have been conned into believing will be freedom from fear.”

ISH/ARAUnite Police States of America

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Lets deal with it

Racial profiling out of hand

PAULYPOKER

New Mexico police force anal probe

Police and doctors probe a New Mexico man’s anus and subjected him to multiple humiliating medical procedures.

A man who says he was pulled over by police in southern New Mexico for failure to make a complete stop at a stop sign was hauled to a hospital and forced to undergo anal probes and forced defecation in a police search for drugs, according to reporting by KOB 4.

David Eckert says he was exiting a Wal-Mart parking lot when he was stopped by Deming police for the alleged violation. They then determined that he was clenching his buttocks, and used that as a basis for probable cause that he was hiding drugs. While detaining Eckert, police obtained a warrant from a judge for an anal cavity search. Eckert says in a lawsuit that he was first taken to the hospital in Deming, but doctors said the search would be unethical and refused to perform it. Police then took Eckert to Gila Regional Medical Center, where they proceeded to perform a number of procedures without Eckert’s consent.

Starting with an x-ray of Eckert’s cavity, and proceeding to several anal probes, an enema, and forced defecation, the doctors found no drugs with one procedure after another, according to medical records obtained by KOB 4. Nonetheless, they continued with the search over Eckert’s objections. In the final procedure, doctors sedated him and performed a colonoscopy.

The invasive search is remarkably similar to another that was recently invalidated by a federal appeals court. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit held in its August decision that the involuntary anal probe requested by police who stopped a man for expired tags was “one of the greatest dignitary intrusions that could flow from a medical procedure,” “degrading,” and a clear Fourth Amendment violation. In that case, however, it appears that officers did not first obtain a search warrant.

In his lawsuit, Eckert challenges the issuance of a search warrant, and also argues that the search violated its scope. The warrant, he argues, was only valid in Luna County and police took him to a hospital elsewhere, and the warrant expired at 10 p.m., while the colonoscopy was initiated at 1 a.m.

Dening Police Chief told KOB 4 only, “We follow the law in every aspect and we follow policies and protocols that we have in place.” He referred reporters to his attorneys, who declined to comment.

In another recent incident of bodily cavity searches, Texas police searched two women’s vaginas for marijuana in what also started as a traffic stop. Think Progress

ARA/ARA

Nick Papageorgio
    Nick Papageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Homo

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

go back to posting losers pauly

TonyTall
    sober 8/18
    TonyTall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 769

pauly just scared. pauly you need to be punched in the face to many times that you dont really care much if you get punched again

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.
    robzilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

Corporations control it all, and Neo con police try to arrest everyone.

PAULYPOKER

Tony No tail.......

I believe its WAY past your bedtime.......

TonyTall
    sober 8/18

past my bedtime its afternoon.........anyways im probably on an adex list i could careless. in fact i feel better than i did 5 years ago only problem is im broke. if i got a decent job id say id be happy

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Funny, the police are not bothering me or anyone that I know.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

The cops in this country are turning into fukkin Terminators.

That's what happens when you put a pussy who ain't never been in a fight in his life in a uniform and give him a gun. They shoot first and ask questions later because they're scared shitless of any situation.

And I support the cops but this is getting out of hand.

TonyTall
    sober 8/18

kermit you haev top genes

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Funny, the police are not bothering me or anyone that I know.
    That's because your white (is my guess from reading your previous posts)

PAULYPOKER

Los Angeles police arrest 54 Walmart protesters

Los Angeles police arrest protesters outside the new Chinatown Walmart store.

Los Angeles police arrested over 50 protesters who were demanding better wages and more full-time jobs for workers of local Walmart stores Thursday night.

The demonstration was organized by the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor outside the retailer’s store in the Chinatown section of Los Angeles.

The protesters said Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, retaliates against employees who demand better working conditions.

“Walmart really perpetuates and epitomizes the unequal distribution of wealth that we have in this country right now,” said Glen Arnodo, staff director of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor.

According to Arnodo, most of the people who took part in Thursday night’s peaceful protest were union members including teachers and nurses.

Los Angeles police declared an unlawful assembly when the protesters sat in a circle on a street outside the store at 701 W Cesar E Chavez Ave. Police said 54 protesters were arrested after a dispersal order was issued.

Thursday’s protest in Chinatown came one day after striking Walmart workers from around California marched on the Paramount store to demand for better pay.

Walmart workers and union supporters have been holding similar protests across the country.

In September, Walmart employees held demonstrations across the US, demanding higher wages and protesting the firing of those who previously demonstrated against the company.

Walmart is the largest corporation and retailer in the world by revenue. The Walton family, which controls over 48 percent of Walmart, is the wealthiest family in the world with an estimated net worth of $150 billion (as of August 2013), according to Forbes' latest ranking.

ISH/ISH

TheRifleman
    TheRifleman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

yep....they are watching every move you make....Cops are bad news.

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by ACoochy View Post
    That's because your white (is my guess from reading your previous posts)
    Or it also may be because I don't feel that I am above the law and enjoy breaking it.

Some people out there just live to test a policeman's tolerance level. I do not.

TheRifleman

most cops are as dumb as a bag of rocks. The typical cop entrance exam is on the 8th grade level. This is what we get.

PAULYPOKER

That is because the dumber you are, the easier you can be trained/brainwashed ,which then you will enforce the vast amount evil police state deeds without question or moral.......

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3549

Unfortunately, this country will have to burn like it did in the 1960's.

Not long until the populous begins to riot. Not long at all.

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    That is because the dumber you are, the easier you can be trained/brainwashed ,which then you will enforce the vast amount evil police state deeds without question or moral.......
    That is true, but no one is going to go to college to make 30k a year as a cop. Someone has to do it.

TheRifleman

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    That is true, but no one is going to go to college to make 30k a year as a cop. Someone has to do it.
    most cops make 50k-60k a year...w/ot sometimes 70-100k

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    New Mexico police force anal probe

Police and doctors probe a New Mexico man’s anus and subjected him to multiple humiliating medical procedures.

A man who says he was pulled over by police in southern New Mexico for failure to make a complete stop at a stop sign was hauled to a hospital and forced to undergo anal probes and forced defecation in a police search for drugs, according to reporting by KOB 4.

David Eckert says he was exiting a Wal-Mart parking lot when he was stopped by Deming police for the alleged violation. They then determined that he was clenching his buttocks, and used that as a basis for probable cause that he was hiding drugs. While detaining Eckert, police obtained a warrant from a judge for an anal cavity search. Eckert says in a lawsuit that he was first taken to the hospital in Deming, but doctors said the search would be unethical and refused to perform it. Police then took Eckert to Gila Regional Medical Center, where they proceeded to perform a number of procedures without Eckert’s consent.

Starting with an x-ray of Eckert’s cavity, and proceeding to several anal probes, an enema, and forced defecation, the doctors found no drugs with one procedure after another, according to medical records obtained by KOB 4. Nonetheless, they continued with the search over Eckert’s objections. In the final procedure, doctors sedated him and performed a colonoscopy.

The invasive search is remarkably similar to another that was recently invalidated by a federal appeals court. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit held in its August decision that the involuntary anal probe requested by police who stopped a man for expired tags was “one of the greatest dignitary intrusions that could flow from a medical procedure,” “degrading,” and a clear Fourth Amendment violation. In that case, however, it appears that officers did not first obtain a search warrant.

In his lawsuit, Eckert challenges the issuance of a search warrant, and also argues that the search violated its scope. The warrant, he argues, was only valid in Luna County and police took him to a hospital elsewhere, and the warrant expired at 10 p.m., while the colonoscopy was initiated at 1 a.m.

Dening Police Chief told KOB 4 only, “We follow the law in every aspect and we follow policies and protocols that we have in place.” He referred reporters to his attorneys, who declined to comment.

In another recent incident of bodily cavity searches, Texas police searched two women’s vaginas for marijuana in what also started as a traffic stop. Think Progress

ARA/ARA
    That dude is going to get paid though.

I hope some cop penetrates up and does some stupid shit to me one day, I'd make for damn sure I got paid millions.

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
    most cops make 50k-60k a year...w/ot sometimes 70-100k
    Maybe in the bigger cities they do.

Where I live they don't. There is a vet cop that lives across the street from me and he makes $42K a year. He's a good guy. He has a wife(a school teacher) and a 5 year old son.

MC PICKS
    Update your status
    MC PICKS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

Kermit

They're not all bad

Bosseman22
    Bosseman22's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 43540

Don't like cops, but when you live in a high crime area it's nice to have them around. I like the fact that they harass some people. Some people are low life assholes that need it. When a bunch of kids are getting hit by stray bullets what the hell are people supposed to do. Drive thru the south side of chicago, you'll be liking the police then

Bosseman22
    Bosseman22's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 43540

Bureau of Justice Statistics, 400 to 500 innocent people are killed by police officers every year.

Nearly 6,000 people were killed and a half-million injured last year in U.S. auto accidents due to drivers being distracted

PAULYPOKER

NYC police still randomly search people

The New York Police Department is continuing with its stop-and-frisk program while a federal court ruled in August that the policy violates New Yorkers’ constitutional rights.

In August, US District Judge Shira Scheindlin found the NYPD’s stop-and-frisk tactics unconstitutional and based on a “policy of indirect racial profiling” that led the New York City police to routinely stop “blacks and Hispanics who would not have been stopped if they were white.”

Scheindlin did not halt the program but named a federal court monitor to implement reforms.

Immediately after the ruling, the city appealed Scheindlin’s ruling, saying it could make NYPD officers “passive and scared” to stop and search suspects.

Last week, a federal appeals court halted Scheindlin’s order which called for changes to the NYPD’s stop-and-frisk tactics and removed her from the case.

The appeals court ruling was a temporary victory for outgoing New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and the NYPD officials, who have claimed the program has led to a marked decline in crime rates.

Scheindlin has now asked for a hearing before the appeals court, “questioning the procedural fairness and the substantive adequacy of the removal order.”

Many in New York are hoping that the city’s appeal will be withdrawn when Bill de Blasio, who was elected mayor of New York on Tuesday with a sweeping majority, takes office in January.

The New York Civil Liberties Union demonstrated in a 2012 report that there had been a sharp increase in the number of police stops over the period of Bloomberg’s three terms in office.

The number of searches rose from 160,851 stops in 2003 to 685,724 in 2011, while half of the 2011 searches included physical searches.

ISH/ISH

PAULYPOKER

Stop searching people’s assholes for drugs

The war on drugs – and the police abuses that come with it – has spun out of control.

The war on drugs is out of control. How do we know this? Look no further than the disturbing story that just broke about a New Mexican resident whose routine traffic stop turned in a 14-hour living nightmare that led to him being medically violated, all in the name of the drug war.

On January 2, 2013, David Eckert failed to make a complete stop when he pulled out of a Walmart store in Deming, NM. A police officer then asked David to get out of his car and claimed he saw Eckert “clenching his buttocks” which supposedly was a sign that Eckert had drugs in his anal cavity. According to news reports, Eckert voluntarily consented to a search of his car by a K-9 unit. No drugs were found. But the police officers involved were not satisfied and Eckert was then put in investigative detention while they secured a warrant from a judge to search his body. Then Eckert’s humiliating examination began at a nearby medical center.

Here is a summary from the local NBC TV station KOB 4 about what Mr. Eckert went through.

1. Eckert’s abdominal area was X-rayed; no narcotics were found.

2. Doctors then performed an exam of Eckert’s anus with their fingers; no narcotics were found.

3. Doctors performed a second exam of Eckert’s anus with their fingers; no narcotics were found.

4. Doctors penetrated Eckert’s anus to insert an enema. Eckert was forced to defecate in front of doctors and police officers. Eckert watched as doctors searched his stool. No narcotics were found.

5. Doctors penetrated Eckert’s anus to insert an enema a second time. Eckert was forced to defecate in front of doctors and police officers. Eckert watched as doctors searched his stool. No narcotics were found.

6. Doctors penetrated Eckert’s anus to insert an enema a third time. Eckert was forced to defecate in front of doctors and police officers. Eckert watched as doctors searched his stool. No narcotics were found.

7. Doctors then X-rayed Eckert again; no narcotics were found.

8. Doctors prepared Eckert for surgery, sedated him, and then performed a colonoscopy where a scope with a camera was inserted into Eckert’s anus, rectum, colon, and large intestines. No narcotics were found.

His attorney, Shannon Kennedy has filed a lawsuit against the City of Deming, Deming police officers on behalf of Eckert. “This is essentially medical anal rape, numerous times over a 12-hour period,” Kennedy said. “I can’t imagine anything more horrifying than what happened to our client.”

Eckert later received a bill for his torture from the hospital, which threatened to turn him over to a collections agency if he failed to pay. Eckert is said to be so traumatized by the experience it is reported he is a prisoner in his own home and afraid to come out.

ARA/ARA
    Last edited by PAULYPOKER; 11-12-13 at 09:01 PM.

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Its cops like the one above that give them all a bad name...

Doesn't matter what sub culture you belong to, there is always going to be the 1%ers that will run amock..

PAULYPOKER

Cop describes stop-and-frisk, corruption at NYPD

New York City Police Department policeman Adhyl Polanco describes in a Democracy Now report and interview the corrupting and rights abusing quota system for stop-and-frisk, summons, and arrests in the largest local police department in the United States. Among other revelations, Polanco estimates that, but for the improper encouragement of stop-and-frisk by the city government, police department, and police union, about 600,000 of the around 700,000 police initiated stop-and-frisk incidents last year would not have occurred. Polanco adds that some police will arrest "whoever's at the corner" near the end of a work shift to meet the quota plus receive overtime pay.

Polanco proceeds to explain that police are forced to understate actual, reported crimes to ensure the city's crime statistics improve. Proponents of stop-and-frisk can then point to the manipulated crime statistics to support the claim that the stop-and-frisk policy is reducing crime.

Particularly gripping is Polanco's description of the day he decided he had had enough:

We would stop a person on the street and on a corner, because the sergeant says, "Stop him." Why? You don’t ask. You just stop him, you frisk him. If it’s possible, you search him. And these kids, sometimes they’re just walking home from school. They’re just walking to the store. They’re just-they’re not doing absolutely anything. They’re not doing absolutely anything. And it’s a really humiliating feeling. When they go through your pockets, when they stop you, you don’t have no freedom. If you stop and then tell the officer, "I’m not-I don’t have to give you my ID. I don’t have to give you my name," which is within the law-the law allows you to do that-you’re going to get hurt. In the Bronx, you are going to get hurt.

My turning point was with a bunch of kids on a corner stopped by the commanding officer. There was a 13-year-old Mexican in the group. "Polanco, cuff him." I said, "For what?" "Cuff him. You don’t ask me questions. Cuff him, bring him back." His brother come to ask, "Why? What’s going on with my brother? He’s walking home from school. Officer, did he do anything stupid?" The commanding officer looked at my partner, told her, "Cuff him, too. Bring him in." "For what?" "Oh, we will figure it out later. Just bring him in." And that was my turning point. That was the time I said, "You know what? Why should I do it to a kid that’s just walking home from school, that we know is not doing anything? Why should I do that? This is not what I became a cop for. This is not what I wanted to do."

I live for my kids. And I think of them. I think of them one day being slapped by a cop, like it happens so many times on the street. I’m thinking of them being handcuffed and screaming to the cop, "I haven’t done anything! I haven’t done anything! What are you-why are you arresting me? I haven’t done anything!" I don’t want them to go through that.
    While Polanco has managed to stay employed at the NYPD, the police department has not made things easy from him. Polanco explains:

But then they-about a year ago, they sent me to-I live in Rockland County. They sent me to Utica Avenue in Brooklyn, where I drive an average of five hours a day to get to work. It’s called "highway therapy." And I pay five tolls every day to go to work.

Watch and read the transcript of the 26 minute report and interview here:

Meanwhile, forces behind the stop-and-frisk policy are scrambling to limit judicial action related to the police department. Outgoing mayor and proponent of the city's stop-and-frisk policy Michael Bloomberg is asking a US appellate court to vacate, prior to his term's completion, a yet to be implemented US district court order that places restrictions on the operation of stop-and-frisk and appoints a monitor of the program. Also, the police union is seeking to intervene in the case so the union may continue the appeal that Mayor-elect Bill de Blasio, who takes office January 1, desires to abandon.

Interestingly, New York Times writer Jim Dwyer reports that the supposedly important expanded use of stop-and-frisk has dropped dramatically as the lawsuit progressed:

In the first three months of 2013, 99,788 people were subjected to stop-and-frisk encounters in New York City; a year earlier, 203,500 had been. So the practice has been reduced by more than half. Crime is dropping. The world has not ended.

Call it a retreat by the city, or, as the Police Department describes it, better training of officers. The change began about 18 months ago when the city was heading toward the big class-action lawsuit.
    With the exit of Bloomberg as mayor, there is hope the New York City government will completely do away with the stop-and-frisk policy and related corruption in the NYPD. Such a change in the largest local police force in the US will respect the rights of the millions people residing, working, and visiting in New York City each day. It will also serve as a good example for other police departments.

PAULYPOKER