rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2105

Why do companies offer severance

I've done a half hour of research via this thing called Google....I learned some things.....

but now I am asking you clowns

rake922

Dude at work walked in on Friday (novemember 1st) and attempted to log in to his computer...

His login and password did not work. He mumbled to me "Maybe I'm getting fired cuz I can't log in"

Fuckin 20 seconds after that his boss says "can I speak to you"

rake922

He got paid for the whole day even though he was there for 15 minutes.
    He's also getting 2 full months of severance pay. Guy was so lazy and would browse internet for 99% of work day then use the excuse he didnt have enough time to work on projects...... Amazing he lasted this long

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

2 reasons here in Germany:

a) Cheaper for the company in a lot of cases, better than being sued and pay more in the end.

b) For the guy who got fired, because he gets money immediately and in case of a lawsuit he would have to pay all the costs first (lawyer etc) and might even lose in the end.

Win-win situation over here (most of the time).

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

The only time I ever surfed the net was something work related. Then again being a fellow old schooler as you know Mr.Rake, I never had a set schedule and if I was online I was on the clock. Stuff like this caused me to pull triple duty at times causing me to be a one man crew.

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.
    robzilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

Here in Canada the government has let companies do whatever the fuk they want. A company can let u go for not reason at all. I think its mainly to keep companies from going to Mexico or whatever. At one job, the boss called me in to the office and said we decided to let some people go. One of my friends was an assistant manager told me the reason was that the boss just didn't like me very much. I make 10x what I was making at my last job, so it all worked out.

sbrhedge
    sbrhedge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by zizoudane10 View Post
    2 reasons here in Germany:

a) Cheaper for the company in a lot of cases, better than being sued and pay more in the end.

b) For the guy who got fired, because he gets money immediately and in case of a lawsuit he would have to pay all the costs first (lawyer etc) and might even lose in the end.

Win-win situation over here (most of the time).
    This is currently the case here in the States, but it wasn't like that 50 years ago. Severance and pensions were used to keep employees loyal to the company. Now the bulk of stock options are top-heavy, just like poker tournament payout structures.

All of the people who work for me are contractors and consultants - it actually costs me more to put a secretary on my payroll with all benefits and compliance issues than it is to keep my accountant. Same with my lawyer .. everyone .. crazy times ..

rake922

Really good read.... Seems more common than I would have expected

http://www.aarp.org/work/employee-ri...rance_pay.html

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

to avoid being taken to court...only reason

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor