dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Are you serious and concerned about nutrition?

If so maybe you should read "Grain Brain" by a neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter. This guy is not just another Dr. he is very well educated and presents a strong reason why carbs, sugar are much more dangerous than fats and oils. Goes against prevailing thought but before you dismiss it you might want to research it a bit. Extremely interesting, so much so that I am going to change my diet for at least a month or two for an experiment.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

In fact, he goes on to say that changing your diet to mostly fat and oils with a sensible mix of less sugary fruit and veggies will save you from a ton of dangerous diseases or at least give you much better chance at better health. I know it sounds crazy but believe me guys you should check it out. So difficult to stop eating carbs as a majority of your meals but it might just make you a much healthier person according to this doctor.

It is much like the Atkins diet but much much more.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

You will love the way you feel. If you're not lifting weights, you might lose some muscle too. But the most important thing is your health and how you feel.

Thanks for recommendation

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    You will love the way you feel. If you're not lifting weights, you might lose some muscle too. But the most important thing is your health and how you feel.

Thanks for recommendation
    See I had a feeling you were one sharp guy, I am glad it is now validated. After all, intellect follows intellect. lol.

Thank you too my friend.

I trained when I was young and also did the Atkins diet for a while, lost a ton of fat. My training days are long gone. I now just walk briskly. I just started this diet but I feel a little better already but my god it is difficult to give up those wonderful carbs. Not sure I will be able to stick with it unless, like you said I will feel great and I think I will. Alzheimer's in the family so that is scary but he assures the reader that with a strict diet change even bad genes will not matter and you can avoid these degenerative type diseases.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

The doc says that carbs and sugar are worse than fat and oils?

brb, no more fruits and veggies because they're carbs, some with sugar as well.

On a serious note though, grains have been a part of the human diet for quite a long time. Rice is a grain, and countless cultures rely on rice. Which grain is he referring to as being bad, or just all of them? Oats, spelt, barley, wheat?

chilidog

Personally, I started feeling amazing after I watched the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and started juicing fruits and veggies. My daily juice is 1/2 a lemon, 1 apple, 1 sweet pepper, about a 1" chunk of pineapple, 2 carrots, and 2 cucumbers.

Every single health symptom I had disappeared after about 1-2 weeks of drinking this juice daily. I drank it twice a day in the beginning, now just once a day.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    The doc says that carbs and sugar are worse than fat and oils?

brb, no more fruits and veggies because they're carbs, some with sugar as well.

On a serious note though, grains have been a part of the human diet for quite a long time. Rice is a grain, and countless cultures rely on rice. Which grain is he referring to as being bad, or just all of them? Oats, spelt, barley, wheat?

He addresses this issue chili. First, he claims that the grains early man ate were much different than the grains we are eating today. Next, early man lived on meat and fruit and veggies he gathered and they had much less sugar than today. Everything he says he backs up with proof, you should buy it especially if you have a kindle. Great reading.

And yes he tells you to avoid those fruits that are loaded with sugar, at at least in the very beginning.

Well if you lost a ton of weight that in itself will allow you to feel better, I know this is your field, try to have an open mind about it.

chilidog

It sounds very similar to Wheat Belly. The author is a doctor, and states the same things that you are. My own opinion is that if you feel fine eating gluten, then there's no need to deny yourself. I had to do an elimination diet for allergy testing, and gluten (grains) was one of the things I had to eliminate. I didn't feel any change in how I felt when I was eating them

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    He addresses this issue chili. First, he claims that the grains early man ate were much different than the grains we are eating today. Next, early man lived on meat and fruit and veggies he gathered and they had much less sugar than today. Everything he says he backs up with proof, you should buy it especially if you have a kindle. Great reading.

And yes he tells you to avoid those fruits that are loaded with sugar, at at least in the very beginning.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9788

this is common sense if you ask me unless your living under a bridge, some people just refuse to learn.

dr joe wallach of dead doctors dont lie is also right on.

Just because you know something, doesn't mean you follow it.

Im eating cookies as we speak, stuff happens, i know its bad but ate half the box anyway

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

It sounds very similar to Wheat Belly. The author is a doctor, and states the same things that you are. My own opinion is that if you feel fine eating gluten, then there's no need to deny yourself. I had to do an elimination diet for allergy testing, and gluten (grains) was one of the things I had to eliminate. I didn't feel any change in how I felt when I was eating them

He also addressed the gluten question. He thinks it is possible that people that test negative for gluten problems actually may still have a serious problem with it. But, it isn't only gluten it is mostly sugar and blood sugar. He believes that even if you are just in the moderate range blood sugar you are looking for serious problems down the road.

Sorry I meant to write moderate but bordering on the high range. Not quite there but close.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

I am going to give it a serious chance, that is if I can stand no juice, ice cream, pizza, and all the other junk I just love. Right now I am 184 and 5' 10. Being treated for b pressure with borderline cholesterol. If I can give it a fair try I will report.

chilidog

I'm also eating cookies. Oatmeal chocolate chip, homemade, fresh outta the oven. And drinking milk.

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    this is common sense if you ask me unless your living under a bridge, some people just refuse to learn.

dr joe wallach of dead doctors dont lie is also right on.

Just because you know something, doesn't mean you follow it.

Im eating cookies as we speak, stuff happens, i know its bad but ate half the box anyway

chilidog

I am going to give it a serious chance, that is if I can stand no juice, ice cream, pizza, and all the other junk I just love. Right now I am 184 and 5' 10. Being treated for b pressure with borderline cholesterol. If I can give it a fair try I will report.
    Awesome, I hope it works for yah. Any attempt to better your health is worth it.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

I'm also eating cookies. Oatmeal chocolate chip, homemade, fresh outta the oven. And drinking milk.

You know I can learn to dislike you. lol, that isn't fair chilli

chilidog

You know I can learn to dislike you. lol, that isn't fair chilli
    They're so good, too.

I saw at the grocery store, in the gluten-free section, they had those fruity pebbles marshmallow treats, with 'GLUTEN-FREE' in big letters on the box.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

They're so good, too.

I saw at the grocery store, in the gluten-free section, they had those fruity pebbles marshmallow treats, with 'GLUTEN-FREE' in big letters on the box.

Enjoy, couple weeks ago I bought some gluten-free waffles they were better than regular. More expensive too. I won't be buying any of that for a while, at least I hope so. I must give half a fridge away to people. Just today I purchased a ton of meat, I am not a big meat eater to begin with but I had no choice. I will get the fish tomorrow.

chilidog

i eat a ton of seafood. beef is a little expensive down here, so it's definitely not a daily thing for me. i would just say that if you're serious about this, then just change one thing at a time. for instance, don't eliminate grains and then increase your fruit/veggie consumption. you won't know what is making you feel better - the absence of grains or the addition of more produce. the elimination diet i had to do took like a month, but it was worth it when i finished it.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Next, early man lived on meat and fruit and veggies he gathered and they had much less sugar than today.
    I'll preface by saying that I'm a big believer in low carb. By low carb, I mean no artificial sugars or certain fruits and veggies (GI Index stuff). High fructose corn syrup is actually thought to be worse (by some) than alcohol for the liver. The insulin spikes alone should be a major warning when people load up with bad carbs.

With that being said, I've never subscribed to the "early man" thing with diets. Early man lived to be 27-35 years old. Not sure I'd like to match that diet.

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

Low or no carb diets are for fat people who watch documentaries and don't want to work at losing weight the right way.
    Starve diets n shit.
    That is what no-carb diets feel like when you do them. No energy.

And then there are stupid fukks won't eat a bowl of rice pre or post-workout, but will drink a fukkin red-bull because they "Need that boost". Ironic and laughable.

If you work out consistently you need carbs.
    If you're 300 pounds then a no-carb diet may not be a bad idea at the beginning to drastically lose weight faster, but you have to eventually remain active in the gym for any of it to be successful anyways.

You can die eating anything. They randomly suggest a new food everyday that supposedly causes cancer, just to promote you trying the alternative they suggest in that same article.

If you don't over-indulge, eat what you want, and stay in the gym.
    Just remember how manipulative the media is with shit.

chilidog

There was a 12 month study done on low carb diets vs your standard calorie restricted diet. The end result was that the low-carbs lost more weight the first 6 months, but after 12 months there was no difference in weight loss between the 2 groups.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by muldoon View Post
    I'll preface by saying that I'm a big believer in low carb. By low carb, I mean no artificial sugars or certain fruits and veggies (GI Index stuff). High fructose corn syrup is actually thought to be worse (by some) than alcohol for the liver. The insulin spikes alone should be a major warning when people load up with bad carbs.

With that being said, I've never subscribed to the "early man" thing with diets. Early man lived to be 27-35 years old. Not sure I'd like to match that diet.

Agree, just had this discussion with my bro who is a chemist. I made the same exact comment to him, he replied be aware that they had many more obstacles to overcome and many more ways to die. We don't need to worry, at least most of us, about a crouching cat eyeing us for dinner. Yes, they died early because they had no medical support at all, no antibiotics, no drugs of any kind to cope with whatever they might have encountered. Infection alone probably killed a great many of these people. But, the fact that they ate the same diet for tens of thousands of years might have some real validity about nutrition and how we are now drifting away from those evolutionary eating habits might be important.

Maybe we live to a nice old age today in spite of ourself and not because we are following the correct course nutritionally. I believe most advanced countries are becoming fatter, at least i know we are and many others too. Obviously that can't be healthy. Most of us eat a diet that is more than 50% carbs and we have high rates of cancer and heart disease. Yes, medicine is addressing these issues with some success but is that the way we answer the obesity problem. I don't think so. Maybe there is something real about rethinking the pyramid, maybe these mavericks claiming that protein and fat should replace carbs are on to something. You can't disregard it until you do some self research. And don't forget about diabetes a disease that is on the way up and even hitting much younger people today, it is frightening.
    Last edited by dante1; 10-24-13 at 09:04 AM.

chilidog

I guess I just don't believe in healthy vs unhealthy foods. It's just that some foods have more nutrients in them than others. I think of it this way... we don't need protein, we need amino acids. We don't need fruits and vegetables, we need vitamins and minerals. We don't need grains and other sources of carbohydrate, we need glucose. We do need dietary fat, though. I think that the carrier of these doesn't really matter so much, as long as we're getting what our body needs - amino acids, vitamins, minerals, glucose, EFAs, etc.

Many people will disagree with me, but I see absolutely nothing wrong with eating at joints like McDonalds, as long as you're also giving your body the rest of the nutrients that it needs to optimally function. It's not what you're eating that's causing the problems; it's what you're NOT eating that's doing the damage (for the most part*).

In the end, only you know your body best, so eat in whichever way makes you feel the best, full of long-lasting energy, a good mood and a good night's sleep.

For me, I can't eat a lot of deep fried food, it'll give me heartburn. But that doesn't mean that nobody should eat deep fried food. If it doesn't affect you negatively, enjoy it. Same as with grains or any other food.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Problem with eating out is the amount of sugar, salt and most importantly harmful fats. I try to stay away from harmful fats and have been doing that for decades. Remember when rifle was lecturing us about nutrition, that idiot. He never even heard of harmful fats and he too said eat anything and everything. You, chili are in the nutrition business I am surprised you admit to eating deep fried foods to be truthful. I must disagree with you, some foods imo should never be eaten or only eaten on very rare occasions.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

In fact how can some things we eat even be called foods? When a food product has more chemicals and artificial ingredients than it does food I think that might be a good item to skip. A twinkie for one and many other products, some of these "shakes" offered by fast food have virtually no food products in them at all. That imo is fckin crazy.

chilidog

I do eat deep fried foods sometimes, but not too often. I just don't like the heartburn that it would give me if I ate enough of them, so I just don't eat them. I do get cravings for some fish and chips or some fried chicken, so I'll eat them. I'm only human, just like all ya'll.

Trans fat are bad, definitely. I'm not a fan of most vegetable oils either, but I realize that people are going to eat what they're going to eat. You have to give people what they want if you expect them to stick with something, so I'm more of a fan of educating people on what additional things to eat, and at what amounts.

As for fast food, I just don't agree that it's bad for you, provided that you're getting the rest of what you need (which I realize that most people aren't doing this). Most people's vegetables are some corn, potatoes, tomatoes, etc., and a tiny salad (or just the pickles, onions and tomatoes that come on a burger). So while most people aren't getting adequate nutrition, I'm not going to blame it on them eating fast food. I'm going to blame it on them not eating what they need to additionally eat.

chilidog

In fact how can some things we eat even be called foods? When a food product has more chemicals and artificial ingredients than it does food I think that might be a good item to skip. A twinkie for one and many other products, some of these "shakes" offered by fast food have virtually no food products in them at all. That imo is fckin crazy.
    They're "foods" in that they provide calories/energy, but usually little nutrition. I also see nothing wrong with eating a twinkie (again, as long as you're getting the rest of your nutrients). Your body doesn't know you've eaten a twinkie or a burger or baked salmon or a bowl of rice and beans. Once whatever you put in your mouth gets turned to chyme by your stomach acids and sent on down to your small intestine, it all looks the same anyway. Your body just sees energy and nutrients.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

I agree, the problem is that if you eat that "shit", excuse my disrespect for Mickey D and the rest, and then you decide to eat what is nutritionally sound well you have to get fat. Most people don't go to those restaurants and eat from the "better" menu they buy the large fries and the large drink and eat like a pig. That is unhealthy. Next time you are in one of these restaurants take a look at the size of most of the people. You seldom will see a thin person unless he is very young. We as a nation have bad eating habits. Don't get me wrong I too eat poorly at times. But, some foods I have never had in my entire life, I don't know what a twinkie tastes like but I can imagine. I am not what one would call a sophisticated eater or snob when it comes to food, but I do research and I do attempt to watch. The status quo and stating just eat healthy may not be correct chili. These new doctors and nutritionists are stating things that are almost completely opposite of current belief but most importantly they are offering proof. I understand they are greatly outnumbered and easily made fun of but you don't know until you research and experiment. You know these guys are not dummies or frauds they are people of science with great credentials and offering scientific proof. Just my thoughts my friend.
    Last edited by dante1; 10-24-13 at 09:48 AM.

chilidog

For the most part I completely agree with you. But I've worked enough with the public to know that people are going to eat what they're going to eat, unless faced with a drastic life change - such as a heart attack or cancer. If I want them to stick with something, I have to work with them. I can't say something like, hey, you need to completely overhaul your diet and eat a new way - it's just not going to happen for the majority of people. Food is an emotional thing for most people.

When McDonald's first opened for business, their burger meal was the same size as the Happy Meal now. Shocking, eh? Portion sizes have gotten out of control in the States. I lived in the States for 25 years, and I've lived internationally for the past 10, and the difference is night and day.

chilidog

Let me give you an example. Take this image, this is just a typical mcdonalds value meal. See the huge lack of nutrients? Well, if that's what you normally eat in your diet, of course you're going to get sick.

Now, let's let some nutrient-rich food to your diet. See what happens? You're getting a ton of nutrients. There's nothing wrong with you eating the McDonald's food, you just also need the rest.

Last edited by chilidog; 10-24-13 at 10:15 AM.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Good thread.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

For the most part I completely agree with you. But I've worked enough with the public to know that people are going to eat what they're going to eat, unless faced with a drastic life change - such as a heart attack or cancer. If I want them to stick with something, I have to work with them. I can't say something like, hey, you need to completely overhaul your diet and eat a new way - it's just not going to happen for the majority of people. Food is an emotional thing for most people.

When McDonald's first opened for business, their burger meal was the same size as the Happy Meal now. Shocking, eh? Portion sizes have gotten out of control in the States. I lived in the States for 25 years, and I've lived internationally for the past 10, and the difference is night and day.

agree my friend I too remember when McDonald was 15 cents for a burger, remember that? lol For a buck you could kill yourself with burgers. And sometimes I did, young and very dumb.

now since you are in the health business do you have anything to add to my thread about CFS? I hope so but I sincerely doubt it, not because you are not sharp but because it is so rare. I am researching but I have virtually no resource people.