Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Speed Channel had better ratings than FS1

Brutal. Written all over the walls on this one. Shit channel.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nascar/you-were-right-america-fox-sports-should-have-never-replaced-the-speed-channel/

Last month, we joined America in mourning the loss of the institution that is The Speed Channel, as it pulled out of the garage for one last time. You responded overwhelmingly in opposition to the change, often sounding puzzled why in God’s name Fox would even bother touching your precious 24-hour automotive network. The higher-ups thought it’d work out best for everyone.
    They were wrong.
    The ratings are in and they’re not looking good for Fox Sports 1. This week one year ago, The Speed Channel pulled in around 253,000 viewers on average during the primetime 8pm-11pm time slot. Fox Sports 1 had 201,000. Gulp.
    This is a big deal for two major reasons:

1. Fox Sports 1 costs exponentially more to produce than programming for the Speed Channel
    2. Nobody wanted to see The Speed Channel go in the first place
    Ladies and gents, this is what they call a lose/lose situation.
    Not only did they fall short of the mark vis-a-vis last year’s numbers, but they failed horribly to measure up to their competition. I mean, it goes without saying that the decision to turn Speed into a 24-hour ESPN competitor was an singularly focused attempt at syphoning ratings from the sports megalith in Bristol. That did not happen. ESPN had 2,828,000 viewers during that same period. Once again, Fox Sports 1 had 201,000. That’s over 1000% more viewers than the fledgling network.
    [Via USA TODAY] Fox Sports Exec David Hill: “It’s going to take us a while. We’re not expecting to knock ESPN off in the first week or two. It’s going to take two to three years. It will be a slog.”
    You hear that? That’s the sound of everyone at Fox Sports 1 getting fired.
    What’s worse, is that these disappointing numbers (understatement) come during the biggest month for sports television, as NCAA and NFL football seasons began during the measured period. Expect Fox to beef up it’s bid for the NBA TV rights when they become available in 2015, because the wheels are falling off this bus.
    Anyone out there know how to replace a tire? Let us know what you think, guys.

Wilfred
    Wilfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

Fox knows what they are doing, disappointing out of the gate but they said it would be a couple of years before they made a dent. They should have gone harder after the NHL a couple years ago knowing they were making FS1. Only really have the UFC right now and some crappy college football games. Doesn't help that their channel is in the middle of no where on my guide, if i wasn't looking for it i wouldn't find it.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post
    Fox knows what they are doing, disappointing out of the gate but they said it would be a couple of years before they made a dent. They should have gone harder after the NHL a couple years ago knowing they were making FS1. Only really have the UFC right now and some crappy college football games. Doesn't help that their channel is in the middle of no where on my guide, if i wasn't looking for it i wouldn't find it.
    They have nhl rights I believe. All games are on local fox sports channels already.

Wilfred
    Wilfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    They have nhl rights I believe. All games are on local fox sports channels already.
    Yeah they have them at a local level, but they aren't allowed to broadcast the games nationally which would be on FS1. NBC and the NHL network are the only ones allowed to do that. And that contract with NBC still has I think 10 years on it so not good.

beermankirk
    beermankirk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 885

NBC sports did it right.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I told you the station was going under failure from day one it is the worst sports network I have ever seen and they will be bankrupt within one year nobody can compete with ESPN

The people that work there are all outcasts from other networks they failed in their careers and are totally washed up

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

FoxSports will win.

Always do.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

I just tried to turn on speed channel and it was FS1 now can't find speed on dish. LOL.

jjgold

Big day you have no clue about networks I am in the business and I have an understanding in the inner workings of what it takes to be successful in network

Fox just does not have the personalities to be successful just look at them all the majority where hairpieces and are washed up also look at their teeth they're all homemade and also fake

Finally most of them just tell jokes it seems there all failed comedians or want to be comedians

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post

do you really think tv works this way?

unrale

as for fs1 theyll get baseball on next year and it will give a segment a reason to know what channel number it is....then things move up from there

wagerjunkie
    wagerjunkie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    do you really think tv works this way?

unrale

as for fs1 theyll get baseball on next year and it will give a segment a reason to know what channel number it is....then things move up from there

theres an article about them in mens journal this month

they know their expectations and know they aren't going to compete with ESPN for a few years. they are fine. especially with UFC.

their version of SC is 10x better then actual SC.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

Skip Bayless, Colin Cowherd, Jason Whitlock and the rest of the "opinionists" at Fox Sports 1 should study up on baseball, NASCAR, UFC and international soccer.

With the sudden firing of FS1 chief Jamie Horowitz last week, the pressure is on FS1 studio talent to talk more about sports that actually air on their network rather than debate LeBron James, Steph Curry and the Cowboys ad nauseam.

That's what Sporting News is hearing from multiple sources about the future of FS1's studio shows post-Horowitz, the aggressive young exec who recruited Bayless, Cowherd, Whitlock and other talents to FS1.

The strategy makes sense.

How often does the "Undisputed" crew — Bayless, Shannon Sharpe and Joy Taylor — debate LeBron, Curry and the NBA, which airs on rival networks ESPN and TNT, rather than sports that air on FS1? Too often.

How often do Colin Cowherd and Kristine Leahy on "The Herd with Colin Cowherd," and Cowherd and Whitlock on "Speak for Yourself," debate MLB, NASCAR, UFC or international soccer? Not enough, considering these leagues are in business with their network.

ESPN doesn't make the same mistake. In fact, the Worldwide Leader in Sports is notorious for virtually ignoring sports with which it doesn't have a TV deal. Just ask the long-forgotten NHL.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

Said a third source: "These debate shows don't make sense given what’s actually on FS1. It's like they're switching viewers in and out."

Word on the street is some rights holders have already beefed to Fox about their lack of visibility on FS1 studio shows. Look for this situation to change as the debate shows seek to align their topics more with what's best for FS1, rather than the hobbyhorses that TV talent prefer to ride.

The changes are already noticeable. On Tuesday, "Undisputed" led with breakout Yankees star Aaron Judge winning the Home Run Derby. As usual, Bayless worked in a LeBron dis, noting Judge has the "clutch" gene to compete in Derby while King James skips the NBA Slam Dunk Contest.

The headline on Tuesday's MLB All-Star segment asked, "Is Judge becoming the LeBron of Baseball?"

Meanwhile, "The Herd" broadcast remotely from Miami on Monday and Tuesday for the Derby and the All-Star Game. As it did by taking "Undisputed" to the site of the U.S. Open golf tournament (which made for awkward TV), FS1 will take its shows on the road more often to tap into the power of big sporting events.

Debating whether LeBron or Michael Jordan is the G.O.A.T., if Dak Prescott's Cowboys will win the Super Bowl, or if Colin Kaepernick is a hero or villain is easy. That's low-hanging fruit for TV talkers. Talking baseball, NASCAR, UFC, soccer or golf is harder. These sports require more research, more sources, more nuance. There's a good chance these televised debates won't be as interesting to viewers as the NFL or NBA. After all, how much play do they get on ESPN's "First Take" with Stephen A. Smith, Max Kellerman and Molly Qerim?

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

How do they debate the sports on their network when no one is watching those sports on their network?

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Magick View Post
    How do they debate the sports on their network when no one is watching those sports on their network?
    How do they get rid of Speed Channel to start with. Same people who made that decision I guess.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I remember when that channel VS (Versus) came out. I thought it was going to BOMB OUT. Then I guess NBC purchased it? Made it NBC Sports Channel? I guess that's what happened?

FS1 is actually a cool name for a channel. But... something has to change... I don't like that Blue color everywhere. It think it's as sh#$. The entire background... and graphics need to change. Simply... nothing is working over there. The people who actually left other networks to work for them are LUCKY. Wouldn't have a piss pot to pee in working at any other network.

jjgold

Sports Networks get killed on ratings

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

I almost want to ban KLC for bumping this. I thought Deucer was back

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Skip Bayless, Colin Cowherd, Jason Whitlock and the rest of the "opinionists" at Fox Sports 1 should study up on baseball, NASCAR, UFC and international soccer.

AMEN

they still are doomed though