ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

End of Silk Road

I just heard about this. Crazy stories associated with this site, and those that understand what silk road was all about know.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,7857459.story

Also, seemingly a bad road ahead for bitcoin peeps.

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Haha almost every note in circulation has traces of some kind of illicit drug on it, so on the above premise we should ban money...

Guy that ran this operation was sloppy.

Dont think for a moment these guys didn't see this coming and have already implemented a plan in place to replace SR...

Just saying, law enforcement (unfortunately in this context) exists for a reason

ACoochy

Haha that was salooned Shari quick....

THought she had moved onto greener pastures...

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

cooch dump your bitcoins....told ya it's not gonna end well

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post

As in yesterday.

This is going to end horrifically bad for bitcoin holders.

But then again, who didn't see that coming?

Wait for PaulyPoker to chime in---Pauly still thinks Bitcoin is going to be the world's currency----

ACoochy

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
    Rocket, got out a couple months back after the laws in my country became murky but will be getting back in once i know what's going on...

Rocket, not worth the hassle unless your one of those people that isnt into governmental control...

Rocket, i sometimes wonder just how many bitcoins the russian mafia have...Guys must be stacked

ACoochy

Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post

As in yesterday.

This is going to end horrifically bad for bitcoin holders.

But then again, who didn't see that coming?

Wait for PaulyPoker to chime in---Pauly still thinks Bitcoin is going to be the world's currency----
    Sammy, i still believe it will be the worlds currency.

Has the fed starting printing money again?

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Quote Originally Posted by ACoochy View Post

Rocket, i sometimes wonder just how many bitcoins the russian mafia have...Guys must be stacked
    Cooch Russians are smarter than that
    Cooch we prefer cold hard cash
    Cooch Nazdarovie!

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

I never used it since you have to be a fukking IT Pro to even log on.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I can't say it surprises me about bitcoin at all.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Chalky I have no clue what your talking about

normally on point

dum it down for the kid

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

Guy was not sloppy at all....All Conspiracy Charges what fuckkn Bullshit.....Catch the guy with something for a change
    Haha almost every note in circulation has traces of some kind of illicit drug on it, so on the above premise we should ban money...

Guy that ran this operation was sloppy.

Dont think for a moment these guys didn't see this coming and have already implemented a plan in place to replace SR...

Just saying, law enforcement (unfortunately in this context) exists for a reason

PaperTrail07

Yeah Lets stop the drug sales THAT DONT involve violence/payoffs Would hate to see all those payoff dollars getting slimmed down Would hate to see the local corner thugs lose a dollar or 2 Wouldnt want to force them into violent crime after their sales are down Mystery the stuff just appears in every city in every state all across the United States....in the hands of the poorest people in the Country Good Work Law Enforcement

ACoochy

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTrail07 View Post
    Guy was not sloppy at all....All Conspiracy Charges what fuckkn Bullshit.....Catch the guy with something for a change
    From Reddit :

Now, onto how he got caught...
    An agent involved in the investigation ("Agent-1"), found the first few references to SR on the internet from somebody only identified as "altoid", attempting to promote the site in its beginning days, in January of 2011.
    In October of the same year, a user also going by the name of "altoid" made a posting on Bitcoin Talk titled "a venture backed Bitcoin startup company", which directed interested users to "rossulbricht at gmail dot com".
    That email address is what led to DPR's downfall.
    ---
    After identifying "altoid", they started connecting the "DPR" identity to Ulbricht pretty quickly.
    Ulbricht's Google+ page and YouTube profile both make multiple references to the a website dubbed the "Mises Institute". DPR's signature on the SR forums contained a link to the Mises Institute.
    DPR cited the "Austrian Economic theory" along with the works of Ludwig von Mises and Murray Rothbard, all of which are closesly associated with the Mises Institute.
    Server logs show that someone logged onto the SR administration panel from San Fransisco around the same time that Ulbricht was staying in San Fransisco.
    Multiple fake IDs were intercepted by U.S. Customs & Border Patrol while on their way to an address which Ulbricht was living at the time. These IDs all carried photos of Ulbricht but had false names and details. This was around the same time that DPR stated in a message that he was acquiring some fake IDs to buy new servers.
    When questioned by Homeland Security about the fake IDs, he refused to answer any questions but then stated that anyone could purchase such things using "Silk Road" and "Tor".
    The address which Ulbricht was staying at was being rented in cash and he was living with housemates who knew him under a name which corresponded with one of the fake IDs.
    He posted on StackOverflow using his real name, inquiring about how to use curl/PHP to grab things off Tor, before quickly changing the name to "frosty" (with a fake email: frosty@frosty.com)

But yes i agree with you PT, nothing hugely tangible and indicting here. But being the USA (home of "freedom") he will more than likely spend the rest of his life being a part of the prison industrial complex...

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

what purpose does bitcoin serve now?

i think 99% of bitcoin was used on silkroad no?

ACoochy

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    what purpose does bitcoin serve now?

i think 99% of bitcoin was used on silkroad no?
    Bitcoin is no different to 'real' currency in terms of it being used to purchase illegal narcotics etc...

Is still being increasingly used in bars, clubs, pubs around the world. Alot of p2p sites now accepting bitcoin. If this place was smart it would do the same...

If anything the SR shutdown will be +EV for BTC in long term as it will look more enticing for institutional investors, given the 'criminal' element has been shutdown (yet we still allow banks to operate even after holding countries to ransom, go figure??)...

Koldazzice
    Koldazzice's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4257

I farmed like 300ish BTC a few years ago when the difficulty was much easier to solve and before Asics. I have them in my wallet and I'm going to hold on to them - I may drop half if /when it hits $200. I certainly wouldn't turn dollars, euros, etc into BTC but since I farmed them on my own computers they were free. So why not take a risk and hold onto them, Its all gravy.

Koldazzice
    Koldazzice's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4257

https://www.mtgox.com/ price is still holding nicely so I see no reason to panic.

ACoochy

Icer btc is simply a smaller model of what we use from day to day anyway.

Nice score with having the foresight in predicting the road ahead. Got yourself a chunky house deposit right there...

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    Chalky I have no clue what your talking about

normally on point

dum it down for the kid
    Simplest terms: the online black market just got clipped, and the main currency used on said market will take a significant tumble if not cease to exist as a result.

PaperTrail07

If he does not run, I agree, it is what scares me about this life I live I hope to god he gets away NOBODY deserves the sick system of the US govt I know trust that
    From Reddit :

Now, onto how he got caught...
    An agent involved in the investigation ("Agent-1"), found the first few references to SR on the internet from somebody only identified as "altoid", attempting to promote the site in its beginning days, in January of 2011.
    In October of the same year, a user also going by the name of "altoid" made a posting on Bitcoin Talk titled "a venture backed Bitcoin startup company", which directed interested users to "rossulbricht at gmail dot com".
    That email address is what led to DPR's downfall.
    ---
    After identifying "altoid", they started connecting the "DPR" identity to Ulbricht pretty quickly.
    Ulbricht's Google+ page and YouTube profile both make multiple references to the a website dubbed the "Mises Institute". DPR's signature on the SR forums contained a link to the Mises Institute.
    DPR cited the "Austrian Economic theory" along with the works of Ludwig von Mises and Murray Rothbard, all of which are closesly associated with the Mises Institute.
    Server logs show that someone logged onto the SR administration panel from San Fransisco around the same time that Ulbricht was staying in San Fransisco.
    Multiple fake IDs were intercepted by U.S. Customs & Border Patrol while on their way to an address which Ulbricht was living at the time. These IDs all carried photos of Ulbricht but had false names and details. This was around the same time that DPR stated in a message that he was acquiring some fake IDs to buy new servers.
    When questioned by Homeland Security about the fake IDs, he refused to answer any questions but then stated that anyone could purchase such things using "Silk Road" and "Tor".
    The address which Ulbricht was staying at was being rented in cash and he was living with housemates who knew him under a name which corresponded with one of the fake IDs.
    He posted on StackOverflow using his real name, inquiring about how to use curl/PHP to grab things off Tor, before quickly changing the name to "frosty" (with a fake email: frosty@frosty.com)

But yes i agree with you PT, nothing hugely tangible and indicting here. But being the USA (home of "freedom") he will more than likely spend the rest of his life being a part of the prison industrial complex...

PaperTrail07

bitcoin is/was silk road.....its done for now....but you cant stop reality

ACoochy

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTrail07 View Post
    bitcoin is/was silk road.....its done for now....but you cant stop reality
    The current price of $121 would disagree with your last statement...

No way SR closing will be -EV for the longterm projections of this currency.

Too many businesses are beginning to rely on it as a way of doing business (outside if US) so as long as theirs confidence in the market then it will continue its onward trajectory imo...GL

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Guys, I'm in a little over my head here.

Why is everyone talking about this?

Can someone explain to me exactly what "silk road" is/was and why it was targeted by the feds?

Also, can someone explain what the fukk it has to do with bitcoin?

elgreco
    elgreco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1612

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    Guys, I'm in a little over my head here.

Can someone explain to me exactly what "silk road" is/was and why it was targeted by the feds?

Also, can someone explain what the fukk it has to do with bitcoin?
    I'll make it pretty simple.

What is the silk road?
    The Silk Road is/was an underground marketplace where you could buy all sorts of legal/illegal goods and services.

Why was it targeted?
    It was targeted by the feds because, well, the feds don't like people who facilitate the trade of cocaine, heroin, guns, hired assassins, etc.. (just a small sample of what they dealt in).

It's a pretty damn cool story. I highly recommend reading more about it. It's definitely one of those "Truth is crazier than fiction" stories.

WTF does it have to do with bitcoin?
    Bitcoin is the only currency they accepted. The Silk Road is actually what put bitcoin on the map.

My personal opinion:
    This is good for bitcoin. This helps us move on from the "Bitcoin is only good for drug dealers and money launderers" mentality and towards further legitimacy.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Still many other options up and starting to pop up. These other sites aren't as fancy (think like SBR vs. some of its competitors) and don't have an escrow or auto-pay set up. But someone else whose smart will come along, and do what Ulbricht did, but he won't penetrate up at the start.

Absolutely impossible for the government to stay ahead of these.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Remember when "Farmers Market" was busted and it spelled the end of Paypal....and W3stern Union?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/fed...hidden-by-tor/

A 66-page indictment, released this week, shows that the operators of The Farmer’s Market processed around 5,000 orders, collectively valued at more than $1 million, between 2007 and 2009 alone. Buyers used a variety of payment services, including cash, PayPal and WesterUnion, to pay for the illegal drugs.

Chew Em
    Chew Em's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 451

kaTZ IN CU

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by muldoon View Post
    Remember when "Farmers Market" was busted and it spelled the end of Paypal....and W3stern Union?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/fed...hidden-by-tor/
    Wasn't familiar with farmers market.

The fact that I can order a rocket launcher and a pound of Afghanny red, basically redefined "one-stop-shopping". It was hard enough to trust the situation there as is, good luck with the new people. There is obviously a market there.

Paypal has ebay. Who does bitcoin have? This is a legit question, I literally don't know. I'm under the impression only use for bitcoin was to purchase shady shit.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post

Paypal has ebay. Who does bitcoin have? This is a legit question, I literally don't know. I'm under the impression only use for bitcoin was to purchase shady shit.
    https://www.spendbitcoins.com/places/

http://news.yahoo.com/york-city-bar-...192300237.html

(plenty more - but not just for drugs and weapons)

elgreco
    elgreco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1612

Quote Originally Posted by muldoon View Post
    Don't forget gambling too

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Black Market Reloaded and The Sheep marketplace are alive and well. 1.2 billion in a few years and 80 million in commission , you best believe there will always be sites like this. People can learn from DPR. Most vendors are already on both sites plus if you dig more there are many many other sites just like it.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9137

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post

Wasn't familiar with farmers market.

The fact that I can order a rocket launcher and a pound of Afghanny red, basically redefined "one-stop-shopping". It was hard enough to trust the situation there as is, good luck with the new people. There is obviously a market there.

One of the bitcoin casinos turns over a crazy amount. because players have faith it is 100% above board funny enough. And every transaction is viewable publicly.

partly because you can gamble and/or invest your money for players to bet against.

Cant recall the name but there was a story in a newspaper here about it just last week.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Dam I did quite a bit of reading about this, thanks for the post...

I can't believe I was never exposed to this before...

123 Last