Dkid
    Play to win.
    Dkid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 614

Sports History

I'm considering applying for an internship for statistical analysis in a sport related business( i.e ESPN) and I noticed that all the interviews(information found on line) mention a review of sports knowledge present and past. I know plenty about sports and more history then most people my age but the thing is I am only 22 and don't know squat if it s before 95-96. Obviously i know most of the famous stuff ( i.e. lenny bias, paul westhead at lmu) but i would want to separate myself in the interview process by know a shit ton of stuff they never expect.

So what are so memorable things some of you older guys remember so i can do some research on it, and hopefully increase my chance of landing a job. If not it will be good to know anyways.

thanks in advance.

Dkid
    Play to win.
    Dkid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 614

really no help at all?

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3609

Just take each sport individually and make a list of things that happened prior to the mid 90's that greatly affected the sport. Like Baseball for example, obviously the game was changed by Free Agency and the Designated Hitter in the American League. So you should know a little history about players like Curt Flood who paved the way for Free Agency.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Dkid View Post
    I'm considering applying for an internship for statistical analysis in a sport related business( i.e ESPN) and I noticed that all the interviews(information found on line) mention a review of sports knowledge present and past. I know plenty about sports and more history then most people my age but the thing is I am only 22 and don't know squat if it s before 95-96. Obviously i know most of the famous stuff ( i.e. lenny bias, paul westhead at lmu) but i would want to separate myself in the interview process by know a shit ton of stuff they never expect.

So what are so memorable things some of you older guys remember so i can do some research on it, and hopefully increase my chance of landing a job. If not it will be good to know anyways.

thanks in advance.
    If you don't know anything past 95-96 I would think you would be in major trouble.

You should be proficient in baseball history at the very least.

Here's a thought for you.

Study hockey. The history of the NHL.

ESPN doesn't have ANY decent hockey people except Barry Melrose. The one area they are truly lacking in and you can take advantage of.

At least you'll be an expert in one particular area instead of being deficient in most everything and that can be your selling point.

That you're a Hockey expert.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by PhillyFlyers; 09-27-13 at 10:46 AM.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Miracle on Ice is the way to go.
    gl with your job search!

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
    Miracle on Ice is the way to go.
    gl with your job search!
    Speaking of The Miracle On Ice, the Flyers had their training camp in Lake Placid where The Miracle took place.

Well, part of their training camp anyway.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    Speaking of The Miracle On Ice, the Flyers had their training camp in Lake Placid where The Miracle took place.

Well, part of their training camp anyway.
    when are you coming back to Players Talk?

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
    when are you coming back to Players Talk?
    The bet is fulfilled on April 28,2014.