no1here
    no1here's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6547

Why would a lawyer ask me this?

Letter received says; The above Trust Agreement for which you are all beneficiaries owns various interests in oil and gas limited partnerships and real estate investment trusts (REITs). It may be possible to distribute ownership interests to these investment vehicles should anyone be interested. We are currently working hard to determine both if this is possible and the current value of the said interests.

If you are interested in having your share in whole or in part, be comprised of these type of investments please contact my office in writing on or before October 10, 2013

I believe that he's asking if I want shares or cash but why the concern? Are shares better? Wouldn't everybody take the cash?

My uncle was senior appraiser for city of detroit and expert at real estate. He appraised both old tiger stadium and ambasador bridge going to canada.

I think the lawyer is mainly notifing us of this money as it wasn't known prior. I raised hell long ago with my dad that millions were missing and now I think that they have found it.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by no1here View Post
    Letter received says; The above Trust Agreement for which you are all beneficiaries owns various interests in oil and gas limited partnerships and real estate investment trusts (REITs). It may be possible to distribute ownership interests to these investment vehicles should anyone be interested. We are currently working hard to determine both if this is possible and the current value of the said interests.

If you are interested in having your share in whole or in part, be comprised of these type of investments please contact my office in writing on or before October 10, 2013

I believe that he's asking if I want shares or cash but why the concern? Are shares better? Wouldn't everybody take the cash?

My uncle was senior appraiser for city of detroit and expert at real estate. He appraised both old tiger stadium and ambasador bridge going to canada.

I think the lawyer is mainly notifing us of this money as it wasn't known prior. I raised hell long ago with my dad that millions were missing and now I think that they have found it.
    Relax.

Simply do what the letter says and contact his office by October 10 and ask him anything you want.

no1here

juat don't understand the concern he has to keep it in shares? I see no advantage.
    also don't underdstand this; (If you are interested in having your share in whole or in part)
    why wouldn't I want all of it?

My uncle died last year and they are finding this just now. My dad is executor.

statnerds
    Put me in coach
    statnerds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

i can tell you on the limited partnership part, you cannot just receive cash. if you want to get out the investment your portion of it will need to be sold on the secondary market. depending which LPs they are and how far along they are toward capital commitment completion, you might want to sit on them. any ideas which ones?

taking you at face value, the guy must have been loaded. LPs tend to be for large institutional investors.
    Points Awarded:

no1here gave statnerds 25 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9225

What does you Dad suggest doing? And why?

I'd start there.
    Points Awarded:

no1here gave Optional 50 SBR Point(s) for this post.

no1here

Thanks Obtional, Haven't talked to my dad and he has been leaving it up to my cousin. His girlfriend died at the same time and it was more then he could handle but he is still chief executor. I raised hell long ago that money was missing but to my dad the one million being accounted for was a ton. To date they have no savings bonds, safe deposit box nor life insurance policy but one for 4K plus alot more items. This isn't about the money as most is given to charities. (I'm in for 3.5%.)

My dad knows nothing of investments nor myself. My Uncle was single with extensive education in real estate.

no1here

I know nothing more then what is posted here and what is here is exact info. Could they all be completed but still going? He was 70.

Quote Originally Posted by statnerds View Post
    i can tell you on the limited partnership part, you cannot just receive cash. if you want to get out the investment your portion of it will need to be sold on the secondary market. depending which LPs they are and how far along they are toward capital commitment completion, you might want to sit on them. any ideas which ones?

taking you at face value, the guy must have been loaded. LPs tend to be for large institutional investors.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Summed up to a third grade level.... If you take some steps, you will be the owner of "interests in oil and gas limited partnerships and real estate investment trusts (REITs)".

You can then cash out none, some, or all of these newly acquired assets.

CONTACT THE OFFICE ASAP

**If you find it is a substantial amount of money, have someone with a finance/investing background take a look before you make a decision.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by no1here View Post
    Thanks Obtional, Haven't talked to my dad and he has been leaving it up to my cousin. His girlfriend died at the same time and it was more then he could handle but he is still chief executor. I raised hell long ago that money was missing but to my dad the one million being accounted for was a ton. To date they have no savings bonds, safe deposit box nor life insurance policy but one for 4K plus alot more items. This isn't about the money as most is given to charities. (I'm in for 3.5%.)

My dad knows nothing of investments nor myself. My Uncle was single with extensive education in real estate.
    Good luck, I hope it turns out to be a small fortune for you.

And thankyou.

sbrhedge
    sbrhedge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

be careful about taking any kind of K-1 or like distribution from the trust as you might a a crapload of deferred taxes on it. also, none of us here have seen to original LP agreement, so we don't know if liability transfers to the individual partners if shares are taken. you might want to consider hiring your own lawyer for this - it could be worth a lot of headache savings down the road.

no1here

More confused now then before. As stated already this will not amount to alot of money as my share is quite small. I never see no money anyhow and have no need for any.

Cannot somebody write me a response to the lawyer as requested by him?

exact letter received;
    Dear Beneficiaries:
    The above Trust Agreement for which you are all beneficiaries owns various interests in oil and gas limited partnerships and real estate investment trusts (REITs). It may be possible to distribute ownership interests to these investment vehicles should anyone be interested. We are currently working hard to determine both if this is possible and the current value of the said interests.

If you are interested in having your share, in whole or in part, be comprised of these type of investments please contact my office in writing on or before October 10, 2013.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the undersigned immediately.

Optional

Dear Undersigned,

What type of investments is my share currently comprised of?

What happens to the various interests, partnerships and REITs if I am not interested in having my share comprised of these?

Can you please explain the ramifications of my choices?

Is this an important decision I should be seeking paid professional advice over?

Is this considered contacting you in writing before October 10 or do you require some sort of hard copy notification?

Yours sincerely,

No1here.

or just ring the guy and tell him you don't understand enough to make a decision and see if he can explain it better.

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

nevermind I read it
    Last edited by Fidel_CashFlow; 09-26-13 at 10:01 AM. Reason: ended up reading it

Optional

Are you certain this isn;t some sort of scam letter btw?

It doesn't sound very professional for a legal firm.

And seems weird any sort of executor or trustee would be asking you to make decisions about investments they don't yet know the vlaue of.