chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

anybody ever had hernia surgery?

I'm scheduled to go under the knife this week and I'm not sure what to expect for the recovery. The doc is all like just take it easy. I do like his confidence in how routine he seems to be making this out to be. A google search just returns all the people who have had anything go wrong with the hernia surgery, and I'm just curious what the average recovery is like? Any advice?

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    I'm scheduled to go under the knife this week and I'm not sure what to expect for the recovery. The doc is all like just take it easy. I do like his confidence in how routine he seems to be making this out to be. A google search just returns all the people who have had anything go wrong with the hernia surgery, and I'm just curious what the average recovery is like? Any advice?
    Expect pain.

Lots of it.

Forever.

More than 30% of patients may suffer from long-term chronic pain and restricted movement after surgery to fix a hernia, a bulge of the intestine or body fat through a weak area in the abdomen, studies show. Damage to nerves and muscles from the hernia may cause lingering discomfort. New synthetic mesh devices, though better than traditional sutures at reinforcing the abdominal wall, can irritate nerves and carry a slightly higher risk of infection.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...022834000.html

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Find out who your butcher is, how many complaints he has.

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

You shouldn't ask until you have had the surgery already lol.
    It's not pretty.

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

I've had 2 hernia surgeries. One was 12 years ago; they just reattached the tendon (no screen); I had to wheelchair the whole way to the car, it hurt really bad and I was pretty miserable for about 4 days after.

I had the 2nd surgery about a year and half ago (I actually had a double hernia). This time because I was older and the facility was better they put in a mesh screen. I walked out of the ER to the car, got in the car by myself fine. Granted it was sore for a couple days but much better than the 1st time.

So in conclusion, if given a choice, get the screen installed.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post

Expect pain.

Lots of it.

Forever.
    The pain is fine. I wouldn't even classify it as pain. It's more like my abs are really sore - like I just did a ton of situps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Proffett View Post
    I've had 2 hernia surgeries. One was 12 years ago; they just reattached the tendon (no screen); I had to wheelchair the whole way to the car, it hurt really bad and I was pretty miserable for about 4 days after.

I had the 2nd surgery about a year and half ago (I actually had a double hernia). This time because I was older and the facility was better they put in a mesh screen. I walked out of the ER to the car, got in the car by myself fine. Granted it was sore for a couple days but much better than the 1st time.

So in conclusion, if given a choice, get the screen installed.
    Yah, I had a double and he used a mesh screen. Sore, but I'm walking. I was nervous over freakin nothing.

billyloco
    et5tdFRy
    billyloco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1620

The pain is fine. I wouldn't even classify it as pain. It's more like my abs are really sore - like I just did a ton of situps.

Yah, I had a double and he used a mesh screen. Sore, but I'm walking. I was nervous over freakin nothing.

Don't get it infected...thats a nasty procedure
    usually performed w/no painkiller...I got infected
    by swiming in my condo pool ...makes me a SF!!!!