The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Has anyone ever done Crossfit?

I think Im going to sign up. The workouts remind me of high school wrestling and everyone is in great shape. All have good abs.

Pricey but I refuse to stay on the path Im in and morph into Brock Landers one day.

So my goal is to do Crossfit twice a week for a month, up it to three times a week for a month, up it again to four times a week for two-three months and then go from there. This will put me around Christmas time. Just in time to bail for the New Years revolutions.

Has anyone here done CF? What are your thought? Has anyone thought about it and looked into it?

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Bunch of homos in biker shorts hugging and shit after doing some burpees and dead lifts. Pay $150+ a month to lift a few weights in an abandoned warehouse. Eat some overpriced shitty paleo food. It's more of a cult than a gym. It's a fad that will pass like all the rest. Just run and chop some trees down and be a man.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BennyBigNuts, Jimmy Proffett, and Dilo

The Kraken

Thanks El Niņo but I don't own an ax

It is expensive as shit (relatively at least) but that's not an issue. I wrestled for far too long to be creeped out by biker shorts or hugs. We used to hug in the showers if someone lost a match he'd be the middle of a cinnahug, like a cinnamon roll but a hug.

Im pretty impulsive and when I get focused on something I tend to follow through with it but I wanted to hear some first hand testimonials prior to getting started like what was the first week like? What kind of shape were you in going I to it? Are you still doing it and how long did or have you been doing it? Was it worth the money? Are you glad you did it?

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Too expensive

Don't be a square

Find a park with a background

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Its the shoes!

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Guy accross the street from me is huge into it. He's always inviting me over and telling me it's the best thing ever. I think it's a little extreme. I need to understand that I'm getting older and that my body is fine with hitting some light cardio and some weights.

Just got back in the gym from about a 6 month break. Feels good to get back at it.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9183

Have a friend just over 40yo but been fit his entire life.

He said similar to Big Day, the intensity was too much for him. Although he felt that it was probably the trainer crew at the centre he attended.

Said he felt like he was in competition with a bunch of kids with no concerns about permanent body damage.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Thanks El Niņo but I don't own an ax

It is expensive as shit (relatively at least) but that's not an issue. I wrestled for far too long to be creeped out by biker shorts or hugs. We used to hug in the showers if someone lost a match he'd be the middle of a cinnahug, like a cinnamon roll but a hug.

Im pretty impulsive and when I get focused on something I tend to follow through with it but I wanted to hear some first hand testimonials prior to getting started like what was the first week like? What kind of shape were you in going I to it? Are you still doing it and how long did or have you been doing it? Was it worth the money? Are you glad you did it?
    Kraker, never did it. There's a lot of stuff going on right now that's really hard on your joints, insanity, P90X, Crossfit. I'm not blowing out my knees just to drop a few lb's. I run and lift occasionally. Was in better shape when I played hockey, but shit happens when you get older. I'm ok with that. Doing box jumps and shit with barbells and weights, I'm not trying to knock out GSP...I'll leave that to Jonny Hendricks.

Dr.Gonzo
    Dr.Gonzo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3192

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Kraker, never did it. There's a lot of stuff going on right now that's really hard on your joints, insanity, P90X, Crossfit. I'm not blowing out my knees just to drop a few lb's. I run and lift occasionally. Was in better shape when I played hockey, but shit happens when you get older. I'm ok with that. Doing box jumps and shit with barbells and weights, I'm not trying to knock out GSP...I'll leave that to Jonny Hendricks.
    Jerky movements whilst lifting are horrible, probably the reason for the exponential MMA training injuries. Explosive power

The Kraken

Great feedback. Thank you all. I am worried about injuries. That's my number 1 concern. I plan on visiting all 5 CF gyms near me for my free workout and trying to get a feel for the atmospheres and coaches and their styles. I'm a bit older and will be thorough in my research. If I decide to do it I think I will only do it for six months and then phase back into the gym, assuming Im not injured beyond repair.

I will also start a thread with pics for y'alls spank banks

SteelRain
    SteelRain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6789

I've done it. The constant non stop cardio is what kills you and you can get hurt really fast. Not worth it in my opinion.

The Kraken

Did you go at your own pace or did they pressure you to keep up? I would love to do it but if its rigid then I may reconsider. I'm older now and not looking to get injured because Im fatigued and trying to do a 400 lb dead lift

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

new years revolutions = quality

SteelRain
    SteelRain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6789

Did you go at your own pace or did they pressure you to keep up? I would love to do it but if its rigid then I may reconsider. I'm older now and not looking to get injured because Im fatigued and trying to do a 400 lb dead lift
    I did it on my own so i went with my own pace. it was still pretty hard to do because it's non-stop with very few breathers here and there.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Kraken, crossfit is for queers:

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

I've been doing it at different levels since 2007/2008 and it's all what you put into it. You can do the daily WODS posted at the box but can also tweak it for an alternative easier one for your level. The 'core' Crossfitter crowd if absolutely intense about it but there is something to gain from it for everyone.

As one poster put above, the cult view has caught on and unfortunately alot of the boxes (gyms) have turned it into a training ground for the Crossfit games and regionals to get to the circuit.

Just try it out and see if you like it or not, it definitely gets yo in shape overall and the Paleo diet ties into that but its hard to keep up as well. My intro to it was in the Army and it carried on after....I've had some serious back and knee surgeries and honestly Crossfit has been great in keeping those areas stronger since rehab. It's about functionality in your body and not solely Olympic style lifting as many think. Go for it...won't know til you try.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

If you do some research for a good plan and stay dedicated you don't need crossfit at all.......EAT RIGHT and go to the gym atleast 4 times a week ......standard all-body lifting and any type of decent cardio mixed in

I try to lift 3 times a week....and play basketball 3 times a week on off-lifting days.....Usually take Sundays off....I'm in pretty good shape but need to diet right to really see good results

Have a couple friends that do crossfit and it works for them but we always rip on em because it's seriously like a cult......Also an injury waiting to happen

Overall, if you dedicate yourself, you don't need a gimmick like crossfit

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

bro its super intense. I injured my back during my first class. I havent been back since.

Make sure you stretch properly before hand

dfish
    Sea Pines
    dfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 181

Great feedback. Thank you all. I am worried about injuries. That's my number 1 concern. I plan on visiting all 5 CF gyms near me for my free workout and trying to get a feel for the atmospheres and coaches and their styles. I'm a bit older and will be thorough in my research. If I decide to do it I think I will only do it for six months and then phase back into the gym, assuming Im not injured beyond repair.

I will also start a thread with pics for y'alls spank banks
    This
    Join the coach not the box.
    GL

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Cross Fit is just total hype. It's just like all of this P90X crap...

It's just excessive calories burned... you can get your heart rate up doing anything you want. 45 minutes cardio 4 out of 7 days. That's it.

Have you ever had a conversation with someone in yoga or Cross Fit? it's like these people think their on another planet... I'm like listen... I work out just like you do... and you aren't god. Nice personality though.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Cross Fit is just total hype. It's just like all of this P90X crap...

It's just excessive calories burned... you can get your heart rate up doing anything you want. 45 minutes cardio 4 out of 7 days. That's it.

Have you ever had a conversation with someone in yoga or Cross Fit? it's like these people think their on another planet... I'm like listen... I work out just like you do... and you aren't god. Nice personality though.
    Actually the Crossfit crowd hates the P90x/Insanity types. Yes both are 'high intensity calorie burns' but one is more about looks and the other about function and overall fitness. Yoga...yeah thats a whole 'nother type of crazy.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by itchypickle View Post
    Actually the Crossfit crowd hates the P90x/Insanity types. Yes both are 'high intensity calorie burns' but one is more about looks and the other about function and overall fitness. Yoga...yeah thats a whole 'nother type of crazy.
    I was always taught by my football coaches... "RIP IT & RUN"

"Be A Machine"

That's what I do... rip the weights... and Run (do cardio)

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Money you're skinny fat.. Let's calm down.

TheMoneyShot

King... give me your juice... and I'd beat you at your own game.

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5030

Don't waist your time or money on crossfit. The programing is usually horrible, high rate of injury, and 99 percent of them have very little absolute strength or explosive power. Most of the instructors fail to realize inte nsity is based on percentages and work capacity. I would recommend Wendller 5/3/1 or a Westside barbell template way before the gimmick that is crossfit.