PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

IRS agents training with AR-15 rifles

IRS agents training with AR-15 rifles

Republican Congressman Jeff Duncan has raised questions about the reasons for Internal Revenue Service law enforcement agents’ training with AR-15 rifles after he spotted such practice at a federal law enforcement facility.

In late May, chairman of the House Homeland Security oversight subcommittee Duncan noticed agents, who identified themselves as IRS, training with the semi-automatic weapons at a firing range.

“When I left there, it’s been bugging me for weeks now, why IRS agents are training with a semi-automatic rifle AR-15, which has stand-off capability,” Duncan told Politico.

“Are Americans that much of a target that you need that kind of capability?” he asked.

The U.S. tax agency has a law enforcement division, the IRS Criminal Investigation Division.

Duncan expressed concerns over the appropriateness of the use of AR-15 rifles by IRS agents in case they should coordinate operations with other agencies like the FBI.

In a statement, the IRS has defended its agents’ training with the semi-automatic weapons saying, “As law enforcement officials, IRS Criminal Investigation Special Agents are equipped similarly to other federal, state and local law enforcement organizations.”

“I think Americans raise eyebrows when you tell them that IRS agents are training with a type of weapon that has stand-off capability. It’s not like they’re carrying a sidearm and they knock on someone’s door and say, ‘You’re evading your taxes,” Duncan said.

The IRS has recently come under fire for a series of scandals.

It was revealed last month that the embattled tax agency inappropriately targeted certain conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status on various occasions over the past two years.

Groups with “tea party” or “patriot” in their names and groups that criticized the U.S. government and tried to educate the American public about the U.S. constitution were singled out by the IRS for close scrutiny.

Moreover, a report by the Treasury Department’s Inspector General last week showed that the IRS wasted $50 million on “inappropriate” conferences during a three-year period between 2010 and 2012.

The IRS also posted a procurement solicitation on June 6 for acquiring state-of-the art spying tools like “Covert Coffee tray(s) with Camera concealment” and surveillance equipment to be hidden in plants to bolster its tax collection “mission”.

ISH/ARA

TheRifleman
    TheRifleman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488