Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Attn russian rocket

Whats the perogie situation in Russia?

I just made some with a french pork sauce. made with potato perogies that I bought from this old Russian woman,

I think this may be revolutionary to Russian cuisine.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrelicious View Post
    Whats the perogie situation in Russia?

I just made some with a french pork sauce. made with potato perogies that I bought from this old Russian woman,

I think this may be revolutionary to Russian cuisine.
    I don't think I've ever tried them with a french pork sauce, but it's sounds yummy

We call Perogie - Pirojki...I think Perogie is more of a Polish word.

We make perogies with meat (pork or chicken), potato, cabbage (lots of folks seem to like this one - I don't), rice and egg, cheese, mushrooms and berries or a berry jam (any flavor that you like).
    Then we also have something that is called Varenniki. Varennik is a big ass dumpling with fresh berries or mushrooms inside that you server hot.

Perogies:

Varenniki:

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14043

I love Gnip gnops

Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

I grew up on Perogies, mashed potato perogies are the best, I grew up in a town of Russian immigrants.

I think I figured out how to actually make the best sauce ever for them, very simple:

Mince bacon, and heat it with a little oil until it browns and sticks to the pan, and renders its fat.

Add to that mix some finely sliced onion (not diced, sliced) and cook it over medium to low heat for almost an hour, salt it lightly to help with the moisture release. Depending on the ability of your pan to conduct heat, this may take up to 2 hours, the key is to cook them slow and toss the pan frequently, you want them to look like wilted poo.

Once they have literally turned into deep caramel mush, turn the heat on the pan to high, once it gets hot, deglaze with a bit of chicken stock. We are talking 3 or 4 Tbsps here, no more, when it hits the pan, try scrape off all the residue on the bottom with something, get it to dissolve into the stock, that my friend, is your flavor base.

Remove from heat, and start swirling in raw pads of butter, and throw the bacon in too. Toss a pad in, swirl, if the liquid gets too cold to melt the butter, return it to the heat and keep swirling it.

The swirling of the pan will emulsify the butter into whatever liquid is left and leave you with this thick sauce that tastes like bacon and caramelized onions but the butter cuts out any sting.

Its goddamn AMAZING.

THIS IS HOW YOU EAT!!!!

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

the sounds delicious

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by Bostongambler View Post
    I love Gnip gnops
    ?

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14043

Very good Kermit.. Lol

Remember, it's ping pong spelled backwards.

Marv001
    Marv001's Avatar Become A Pro!

Are they the same as piroskis.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Quote Originally Posted by Marv001 View Post
    Are they the same as piroskis.
    yes perogies= pirojki= piroskis