LordCC
    LordCC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4235

BEST Anti-spyware/Adware?

Hey All,

I was wondering what is the best free anti-spyware/adware program around? I have used Super antispyware in the past, but lately, I am having trouble with it. I was wondering, if there is another out there that everyone is using that is better & more efficient?

Thanks in advance!

Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

LINUX.

Install it on a partition, takes less then a half hour, use it for casual browsing and application use, you will not deal with a virus or malware ever again.

Lookingtostart
    Lookingtostart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4542

Get rid of Windows all together! You don't really need it, Wine and a bit of troubleshooting will take are of the rest. So yeah, a Linux Distro, there's 100s to choose from. Go to http://distrowatch.com/ for help in choosing.

Sacrelicious

Or just get Mint, its the most user friendly and out of the box functional. Literally takes an hour to get on your system.

LordCC
    LordCC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4235

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrelicious View Post
    Or just get Mint, its the most user friendly and out of the box functional. Literally takes an hour to get on your system.
    Is MINT a program you can use with Windows? If so, what does this program do?

Sacrelicious

Quote Originally Posted by LordCC View Post
    Is MINT a program you can use with Windows? If so, what does this program do?
    Its a separate operating system, a Linux distro, you can not run it with Windows but you can install it from Windows and dual boot into it at start up. Its almost completely virus/malware proof, you'll also notice about a 200 to 300 percent speed increase in overall performance. You can save Windows to dual boot to if you need to use any special propriety software, thats what I do.

I have yet to find an actual anti virus software strong enough to protect my windows platform for any reasonably decent amount of time.

I've used VIPRE and Norton in the past, they are both commercial but still fairly cheap, they are supposed to be the 2 best if thats all your looking for, but there always seemed to be a virus on my system regardless of whether I was using them or not.

Trident
    Update your status
    Trident's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2791

I use Firefox for my browser, a No Script add-on and Microsoft Security Essentials, never had a virus and runs like the day I bought it 3 years ago. Treat your PC well and it will run like it should, treat it bad and it will run bad.

Sacrelicious

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I use Firefox for my browser, a No Script add-on and Microsoft Security Essentials, never had a virus and runs like the day I bought it 3 years ago. Treat your PC well and it will run like it should, treat it bad and it will run bad.
    Granted, I still recommend Mint though. You can download it as a live CD, and after you copy it to a USB key or DVD, you can boot to it in "live cd" mode and experiment, browse the web, etc. to try it out without actually installing anything or changing your computer in any way. Never hurts to try it out, if you don't like it, just don't install it.

Trident
    Update your status
    Trident's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2791

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrelicious View Post
    Granted, I still recommend Mint though. You can download it as a live CD, and after you copy it to a USB key or DVD, you can boot to it in "live cd" mode and experiment, browse the web, etc. to try it out without actually installing anything or changing your computer in any way. Never hurts to try it out, if you don't like it, just don't install it.
    I run Ubuntu on a Net Book I have and use Linux at work but I don't like it enough or have any need for it on my PC at home. I am not saying it's bad I just prefer Windows over it.

Lookingtostart
    Lookingtostart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4542

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I run Ubuntu on a Net Book I have and use Linux at work but I don't like it enough or have any need for it on my PC at home. I am not saying it's bad I just prefer Windows over it.
    Try Mint with MATE, you can customise it a lot so with MATE so if there's something you don't like, change it.

Sacrelicious

Or cinnamon, love cinnamon. But its all a matter of use, I keep a small windows partition for the occasional game or something that I want to play, but for day to day use I have absolutely no reason to ever switch back, at least not yet.

I also do some coding as well, so of course, thats a huge plus.

But for speed and efficiency, it can not be beat. My sixty year old mother called me recently because she was having computer problems and wanted me to fix it, I went over and showed her Linux Mint, installed it on her system, and within a day she loved it. If she can figure it out, anyone can.

DHB
    DHB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 867

so are u saying u dont need virus/spyware proctection with mint?
    also can mint run firefox and yahoo messenger?

Sacrelicious

Quote Originally Posted by DHB View Post
    so are u saying u dont need virus/spyware proctection with mint?
    also can mint run firefox and yahoo messenger?
    Yeah it comes bundled with firefox, also runs opera and chrome.

It has a built in messenger called Pidgin that syncs and displays accounts from all popular messengers: facebook, yahoo, msn, icq, irc, etc. The messenger runs over a dozen services, half of which I've never heard of.

And correct, you do not need virus or spyware protection.

I mean theoretically if you spend all day on the tor network browsing and downloading from the dark web, you may actually find a virus designed for linux, but in common use you have no need to worry about it.
    Points Awarded:

DHB gave Sacrelicious 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Sacrelicious

Honestly, just download it, its free, you can burn the image to a dvd and boot into it directly to experiment and see how it works for you without installing anything on your computer.

DHB
    DHB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 867

will give it a go when i have time.
    thanks 4 the info.