TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Thoughts And Prayers For His Family. Really Sad. :( 8th Grader Committed Suicide

I live about 10 minutes away. And I grew up in this city. Drove by the middle school several times... I even thought about suicide when I was in 8th grade. I feel sorry for him and his family.

8th Grader Dies - Story

Officials: Student dies after shooting himself inside Southgate middle school bathroom

Posted: Mar 21, 2013 9:41 AM EDTUpdated: Mar 21, 2013 11:25 AM EDTBy myFOXDetroit.com Staff

SkyFOX over the scene at Davidson Middle School Thursday morning.
    A parent and student embrace each other outside Davidson Middle School Thursday morning.

SOUTHGATE, Mich. (WJBK) -Hospital officials confirm that an 8th grade student who shot himself inside a bathroom at Davidson Middle School in Southgate has died from his injuries.

Sources tell FOX 2 the 13-year-old was rushed to Oakwood Southshore Medical Center after he shot himself in the head with a .40 caliber handgun Thursday morning.

School officials sent an alert to parents to inform them of a 'medical emergency' earlier in the morning and placed the campus on lockdown shortly after 9 a.m.

SkyFOX captured images of parents and students walking out of the school and in the parking lot. A noticeable police presence was also seen.

The school is located on the 15000 block of Trenton Road.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/21...#ixzz2OBkgfoTW

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

I wonder if this was over another case of bullying?

Marv001
    Marv001's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sad, hopefully it wasn't from pressure to get good grades.

TheMoneyShot

Absolutely amazing how many people are talking about this locally. Kid was bullied. Felt as though he just couldn't fit in.

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

suicide is most likely the hardest of all deaths.

But when you factor in children doing it .... it makes it unimaginably sad

Bruce Norris
    I'm almost too old to fight.... almost.
    Bruce Norris's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3837

So horrible. If bullying, which has been happening since kids started going to school, what is the difference between then and now? Were kids killing themselves then, and we just didn't have the instant news info we do today? Or were kids more likely to fight back without consequences? (school punishment, parents, etc?) Or maybe the parents were more involved? I suppose the answer is a mix of all of these things.

It is very sad, but parents, talk to your kids, and get them to stand up for themselves and be confident.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Very sad. Where'd an eighth grader get a gun?

Yotone
    Yotone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 348

Thats what id like to know. im assuming since it was in school it was a handgun.

TheMoneyShot

Unreal... the kid had no one he could turn to... but... someone made a facebook "LIKE" page about him... kid has 3,300+ Fans who care. Unfukking real. Where were all of you when he needed you?

Facebook Link

Bruce Norris

Like his fans, facebook isn't real at all. Big joke.

TheMoneyShot

Kid just got 600 likes in 30 minutes. Unreal. And I agree... it's a big joke.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Stupid shit like this keeps happening because people think it is acceptable. The media and its viewers need to stop glorifying heinous acts, be it suicidal children, mass murders, whatever. It's a strange world we live in.

Kermit

Facebook is kind of a joke. That picture of that gay Marine kissing his boyfriend had 15,000 likes in a few days. There needs to be a dislike button to even out the playing field.

Marv001
    Marv001's Avatar Become A Pro!

There is a freakin gun death or school shooting every week now.

SteelRain
    SteelRain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6789

sucks to hear but are the odds the kid was on some form of anti depressant or other mind altering shit?

Bruce Norris

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Facebook is kind of a joke. That picture of that gay Marine kissing his boyfriend had 15,000 likes in a few days. There needs to be a dislike button to even out the playing field.
    That goes against the "everyone gets a trophy" way of thinking our society has adopted. Everything's okay, everything's good, everyone's special.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

Very sad. I have a 10 year old son (11 in July), and don't want him to ever feel the need to do this. My world would be destroyed if anything this bad happen to him.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

There is no real answer for this kinda shit......No matter how much people do to prevent it there will always be a few that slip through the cracks

Bullying should be more harshly punished but alot of times its just a quiet kid that keeps to themselves that no one really messed with anyway

Very sad for the families either way

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by SteelRain View Post
    sucks to hear but are the odds the kid was on some form of anti depressant or other mind altering shit?

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Very sad. I have a 10 year old son (11 in July), and don't want him to ever feel the need to do this. My world would be destroyed if anything this bad happen to him.

This goes hand and hand... and I'm going to tell you how I felt. Every family is different. I was 13 years old... overweight. Got picked on at school... got picked on by my older brother. I never really excelled... I couldn't find my happy spot... anywhere. I was never diagnosed with any mental problems... as an adult I'm a sound person... I do things to entertain others... for fun... that's about it... But... I think being an 8th grader is a huge situation... especially if you are depressed. I played video games most of the time because it was my out. I loved using my mind... and I was independent... no one was near me or around me... like a comfort zone. But once you're out in public... same school... same class... and same people who harass you... it effects you. I faked being ill all the time... so I could stay home from school... and be at home... mom/dad at work... brother still sleeping in from partying... didn't get up to 3PM. It was my happy zone. I never tried drugs... didn't care to. Never drank alcohol. Point is... I feel for this kid. I know how he felt. I mentioned suicide one time... in a creative writing essay... which my mom found and I never turned into the teacher. When I saw my mom in tears... it effected me. My mom was always a hard ass... always pushing... but when I noticed her tears... I know I had to wake up and figured a way to get confidence... etc. But, my brother was less hard on me after that... he didn't make fun of me... And I would say you don't reach your full confidence until 18 or so. Once I got out of high school... I was fine. I could be anything I wanted to be. The same kids that use to tease me... I talk to a few on facebook. It wasn't there fault... we were all kids... I don't blame them. But, it's true.. words hurt when we're younger... so my advice is... talk to your kids... and monitor them. Anticipate what's going on. Because my family never knew how I felt.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Such a sad thing to happen. I have a 2 yr old son, and I can't imagine that there's anything worse than losing your child. I'd be dead by drug overdose within a year if that happened to me. Man, this just sucks.

I was never involved in bullying in schools, so I can't relate to it. Kids have always had access to guns (either their parents' or their friends' parents'), and kids have always been bullied. What is going on in the world where this is happening more and more? Are we failing our children by not being involved enough, showing them enough attention, affection and love?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    This goes hand and hand... and I'm going to tell you how I felt. Every family is different. I was 13 years old... overweight. Got picked on at school... got picked on by my older brother. I never really excelled... I couldn't find my happy spot... anywhere. I was never diagnosed with any mental problems... as an adult I'm a sound person... I do things to entertain others... for fun... that's about it... But... I think being an 8th grader is a huge situation... especially if you are depressed. I played video games most of the time because it was my out. I loved using my mind... and I was independent... no one was near me or around me... like a comfort zone. But once you're out in public... same school... same class... and same people who harass you... it effects you. I faked being ill all the time... so I could stay home from school... and be at home... mom/dad at work... brother still sleeping in from partying... didn't get up to 3PM. It was my happy zone. I never tried drugs... didn't care to. Never drank alcohol. Point is... I feel for this kid. I know how he felt. I mentioned suicide one time... in a creative writing essay... which my mom found and I never turned into the teacher. When I saw my mom in tears... it effected me. My mom was always a hard ass... always pushing... but when I noticed her tears... I know I had to wake up and figured a way to get confidence... etc. But, my brother was less hard on me after that... he didn't make fun of me... And I would say you don't reach your full confidence until 18 or so. Once I got out of high school... I was fine. I could be anything I wanted to be. The same kids that use to tease me... I talk to a few on facebook. It wasn't there fault... we were all kids... I don't blame them. But, it's true.. words hurt when we're younger... so my advice is... talk to your kids... and monitor them. Anticipate what's going on. Because my family never knew how I felt.
    I always talk to him and continuously telling him to talk to me, not just as a father, but a best friend or a older brother. Our relationship is almost like brothers, well that is how some people see it. I'm divorced, but try and make sure he doesn't feel any void since he bounces back and forth between his mom and me.

I know this isn't as bad as this story, but last trimester he came home with terrible grades, and I know he is just being lazy or distracted. With help from his mom, we grounded him for the next trimester (No XBOX, PS3, Vita, etc.) and made sure he did all the make up work he could do. Last week he came home with a very improved trimester progress report. All passing and even brought up a 39% to a 88% in one subject. I couldn't tell you how proud I was of him.

Parenting goes a long way, and every parent needs to pay attention to their kids, and show them love and care. No matter if you are happily married, divorced, split up, etc. Pay attention to your kids.

hughesn2
    hughesn2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

I live in Michigan and attend MSU and it was sad to hear about this especially since I found out on Monday that a friend of mine that I lost in touch with since we graduated HS had committed suicide at his house Sunday during the day.
    The one good thing that you can say from this is that at least he did not take other lives with him. There are some people that hate their lives and if they bring a gun to school intending to kill themselves usually they plan on using it on others as well.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Fathers used to tell their sons kick a bully's ass. Now they tell them to express their feelings to the bully.

The boy needed a man in his life to take the kid weightlifting..to teach him how to throw a punch.

Kid should have shit in the bully's mouth, found some confidence and gotten his d i c k wet. Instead he walked around feeling defeated, like the rest of the emasculated men in this country.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: chilidog, Kermit, and onlooker

Kermit

Another problem with this country in the last 15 years is parents are so quick to throw prescription drugs into their kid's system rather than figure out what the real problem is.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: chilidog

Bruce Norris

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Another problem with this country in the last 15 years is parents are so quick to throw prescription drugs into their kid's system rather than figure out what the real problem is.
    Yep, and doctors are happily filling the prescriptions. Sickening.