DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8464

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    Couldn't have said it better, Em. The Costa Rica that tourists see is beautiful. It's just gorgeous; breath-taking. But the real Costa Rica, LOL. It's a damn concrete-jungle. It's not eco-friendly. All of our piss and sh.it flows right into the oceans. Drugs and crime are rampant, and the cops can't do anything about it.
    almost exactly like the USA

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    LOL. Right, if you say so.

DwightShrute

LOL. Right, if you say so.
    I am being serious actually. Shrink the US to the size of CR and you will have the same type of country. There is amazing beauty but also slums or ghettos. They aren't that different.

chilidog

I am being serious actually. Shrink the US to the size of CR and you will have the same type of country. There is amazing beauty but also slums or ghettos. They aren't that different.
    Maybe it's cuz of where I grew up in the States, but I don't remember the States being like this at all. The people living in the majority of the States do not feel like prisoners in their homes; they don't have bars and razor wires/electric wire guarding their property. They respect cops, and the legal system works (albeit a bit overzealously).

Criminals in CR aren't afraid because they know that there's no repercussions. C'mon, there's no law on the books if a theft was under $500. That in itself gives criminals free reign to rob quite a few tourists; just be sure to keep the value below $500.

I love this country, and it's my home. I'm married to a tica, we have a son together, and we have a 30 year mortage on a house. But after living here for quite some time, I'm not going to kid myself on what it is, and what it isn't.

Visit Costa Rica as a tourist, and you'll fall in love with it. But never move here.

DwightShrute

Maybe it's cuz of where I grew up in the States, but I don't remember the States being like this at all. The people living in the majority of the States do not feel like prisoners in their homes; they don't have bars and razor wires/electric wire guarding their property. They respect cops, and the legal system works (albeit a bit overzealously).

Criminals in CR aren't afraid because they know that there's no repercussions. C'mon, there's no law on the books if a theft was under $500. That in itself gives criminals free reign to rob quite a few tourists; just be sure to keep the value below $500.

I love this country, and it's my home. I'm married to a tica, we have a son together, and we have a 30 year mortage on a house. But after living here for quite some time, I'm not going to kid myself on what it is, and what it isn't.

Visit Costa Rica as a tourist, and you'll fall in love with it. But never move here.
    its not perfect of course. No place is I imagine. There are many places in the states that people feel like prisoners in the own homes. There are entire neighborhoods that cops won't even go and its getting much worse. So ya you can go to Montana and live in the mountains just like you can here is CR by the Ocean or you can live in the major cities and deal with the crime just like CR. Ya, I liked visiting Hollywood and seeing the walk of fame but that is a dump of an area.

I love CR overall.
    Last edited by DwightShrute; 03-21-13 at 03:42 PM.

chilidog

its not perfect of course. No place is I imagine. There are many places in the states that people feel like prisoners in the own homes. There are entire neighborhoods that cops won't even go and its getting much worse. So ya you can go to Montana and live in the mountains just like you can here is CR by the Ocean or you can live in the major cities and deal with the crime just like CR. Ya, I liked visiting Hollywood and seeing the walk of fame but that is a dump of an area.

I love CR overall.
    What do you love about it? I'm not bashing CR in this post; I'm just curious. I always like asking other foreigners that live here the same question. Seems most of the Canadians have the same answer - they love the weather!

Americans - it really depends on what part of the states that they're from. The ones that I've met that were from big cities, they still live here. The ones that I've met that lived in smaller cities or out in the country, they've already left, because it's no longer cheap to live here.

Costa Rica is definitely not cheaper to live here anymore. I can buy WAY more with my money back home in the States than I ever could here.

So, what makes you still fall in love with our great country?

DwightShrute

What do you love about it? I'm not bashing CR in this post; I'm just curious. I always like asking other foreigners that live here the same question. Seems most of the Canadians have the same answer - they love the weather!

Americans - it really depends on what part of the states that they're from. The ones that I've met that were from big cities, they still live here. The ones that I've met that lived in smaller cities or out in the country, they've already left, because it's no longer cheap to live here.

Costa Rica is definitely not cheaper to live here anymore. I can buy WAY more with my money back home in the States than I ever could here.

So, what makes you still fall in love with our great country?
    I agree with everything you said. 10 years ago I couldn't believe what $50 gets me in masxmenos, and I used to tell everyone back home all the time. I don't even mention it anymore.

The weather is the best thing I like. I wear shorts every day. That and the fact that only a couple hours away from where I live are places that people fly from all over the world to see. Gorgeous. I love the people also. Ex-pats and locals.
    Last edited by DwightShrute; 03-21-13 at 04:13 PM.

Spanks
    me pee pee
    Spanks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

costa rica is just another shit-hole...only warmer...
    Last edited by Spanks; 03-21-13 at 05:40 PM.

Robber
    Robber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 92737

Not even close to the us

Spanks
    me pee pee
    Spanks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

First 12