princecharles
    princecharles's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why it is NOT racist to think all blacks and Chinese look alike.

Cross-race effect (sometimes called cross-race bias, other-race bias or own-race bias) is the tendency for people of one race to have difficulty recognizing and processing faces and facial expressions of members of a race or ethnic group other than their own.[1]

The cross-race effect is scientifically explored in the fields of behavioral biology, human ethology (also called urban ethology), and social psychology. In this neural phenomenon of face recognition, humans perform better when they recognize faces and emotional facial expressions of persons of their own race in comparison to faces and emotional facial expressions of persons of other races. In Social Psychology, the cross-race effect is described as the "In-Group Advantage". In other fields, the effect can be seen as a special form of the "In-group advantage", since it is only applied in interracial or inter-ethnic situations, whereas “In-Group Advantage” can refer to mono-ethnic situations as well.[2]

Deeper study of the cross-race effect has also demonstrated two types of processing for the recognition of faces: featural and holistic. It has been found that holistic processing (which occurs beyond individual parts of the face) is more commonly used in same-race situations, but there is an experience effect, which means that as a person gains more experience with those of race he or she will begin to use more holistic processing. Featural processing is much more commonly used regarding an unfamiliar stimulus or face.[3]

note from OP:
    This is a fascinating 'phenomenon', which I have studied in depth as it applies to highly flawed law enforcement eye witness identifications.
    Above pulled from Wikipedia.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Does hair colour play a part in whites thinking all blacks and chinese look alike? Whitey has an assortment of colours, blacks and asians have naturally dark hair.

Marv001
    Marv001's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think white people look alike as well.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14368

I think all giraffes look alike. How do they tell each other a part?

hugh613
    hugh613's Avatar Become A Pro!

Now that you mention it, Jay Z does bear a slight resemblance to Yao Ming...

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by hugh613 View Post
    Now that you mention it, Jay Z does bear a slight resemblance to Yao Ming...

I agree. If not for the difference in height, I couldn't tell them apart either. Oh and Yao speaks better English.

princecharles

you guys took the small yellow bus to school huh?

the point is cross-race ID is a natural not prejudicial occurance. Blacks do not look like Chineese.

princecharles

Quote Originally Posted by sickler View Post
    Does hair colour play a part in whites thinking all blacks and chinese look alike? Whitey has an assortment of colours, blacks and asians have naturally dark hair.

interesting point, but no.

it's the 'inability' of cross race people to recognize facial distinctions.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14709

Well, that solves it.
    All bald people look alike!

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Quote Originally Posted by princecharles View Post
    you guys took the small yellow bus to school huh?

the point is cross-race ID is a natural not prejudicial occurance. Blacks do not look like Chineese.
    Prejudice in general is a natural occurrence

princecharles

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    Prejudice in general is a natural occurrence
    What's 'natural' is the attraction of like to like.
    Prejudice is simply a vague label given to manifestations of that behavior.