Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!
    Capybara's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6238

If you were making a pro athlete's salary, how much would you help family + friends?

Bluehorseshoe's thread made me think of this question. It's an interesting philosophical question.

Say you suddenly lucked into something where you went from making your just-squeeze-by salary to suddenly having way more, like now you're making 5 million per or whatever... Just what percentage do you think you would really give away and how would you parse it out?

Since there's no effing way this would ever happen to any of us, it's at least interesting to ponder. I'm betting that greed would settle in for most of you/us, and it would be harder than you think to just say "Hey, man, here, take 100,000 bucks of my money."

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

I don't think there is any reason to just give your money away to friends and family. You could help in the purchase of something they need, but I would never just go to my friends house and hand him a check for 50k.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

I don't have a very big extended family

I'd treat those that matter to me most.

i'd hire someone to manage a charity trust that i'd start and let them sort out all the "friend" requests for help that weren't a part of my daily life and relavent in a real way.

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    I don't think there is any reason to just give your money away to friends and family. You could help in the purchase of something they need, but I would never just go to my friends house and hand him a check for 50k.
    That's a great point. That's a good way to do it. Like I'm very close with one of my brothers, and I'm certain he'd be expecting me to majorly help him out, which I would. But yes, that is the right way to do it, that way you wouldn't need to come up with some figure -- you'd just say Hey, Man, let me help you fix up your place, or let me give you guys a nice vacation, etc.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

I wouldn't tell anybody. Saves me from hating them and them from hating me. If they ask have I come into a large sum of money my response would be "No hable espano".

ronzer
    the search for bigfoot continues
    ronzer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 163

I'd be like Vince in Entourage.
    Points Awarded:

freeVICK gave ronzer 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

paco gave ronzer 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.
    robzilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

I would hook up my immediate family, but not extended family.

showtiime
    Update your status
    showtiime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5853

sharing is caring

PanamaBrad
    PanamaBrad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 395

Any of my family and friends who "expected" me to do for them would immediately be removed from the family and friends list and be moved to the leach/moocher list. They wouldn't get the sweat off my balls. Those that never asked for a cent i would do nice things for them as the urge hit me. To do anything more than that is not doing them or u any favors.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

You think this is far fetched but I was at the driving range the other day and was killing it. Then I went to the putt putt next door and beat my girlfriend by about 10 strokes. I was just about to check online for the nearest open qualifying courses when I saw this thread.

Once the endorsements start rolling in (that's where the real money is) I would first and foremost make sure I paid a little more to my pal the government. It used to be called "my fair share" but since around the recent debates it started being called "a little more". It will probably soon be called "the rich bastard penalty" but what do I care I'll be rolling in it and Washington needs my help.

Then I will concentrate on helping out my friends and family. I would probably buy them things like houses and cars and boats and such but keep it in my name so they don't have to pay taxes on it (again). I would be sure to leave these items to them in my will. This presents a whole new expense of a round the clock personal security team but for the most part my family and friends are good people, it's just a precaution.

One rule I would have is no helping out friends that haven't talked to me or called me in over a month prior to my first PGA tour win. I don't need ex girlfriends and frienemies trying to cash in. That sort of drama might give me the yips

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Would help my mom and sister with whatever they needed, other than that, wouldn't help my friends since I recently learned most of them aren't true friends anyway. I would probably blow most of it going out and buying unnecessary things like most athletes, I'd be perfect for a pro athletes salary.

GOIRISH
    GOIRISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1128

i would hook up my immediate family. and a couple family friends. Then setup college funds for my young cousins, neices and nephews. Then id help out everyone else by giving them rides in my ferrari

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I think you would help most of your family with food, clothing, and if they were behind on their mortgage etc... but I don't think anyone should ever start buying gifts. Remember, just because you have a solid 5 year contract with a team... what happens in your 6th year you have a medical situation in which... you couldn't earn professional money anymore? Then what would you do? It's nice to give to your family... but you come first. Think about it... would they bail you out?

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

Some interesting thoughts in here... Don't forget that you'd need to share equally among your immediate family so there wouldn't be resentment. But I agree that the extended family can fukk off for the most part.

Showtiime, you're already loaded, so if sharing is caring, help a brutha out!!

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    You think this is far fetched but I was at the driving range the other day and was killing it. Then I went to the putt putt next door and beat my girlfriend by about 10 strokes. I was just about to check online for the nearest open qualifying courses when I saw this thread.

Once the endorsements start rolling in (that's where the real money is) I would first and foremost make sure I paid a little more to my pal the government. It used to be called "my fair share" but since around the recent debates it started being called "a little more". It will probably soon be called "the rich bastard penalty" but what do I care I'll be rolling in it and Washington needs my help.

Then I will concentrate on helping out my friends and family. I would probably buy them things like houses and cars and boats and such but keep it in my name so they don't have to pay taxes on it (again). I would be sure to leave these items to them in my will. This presents a whole new expense of a round the clock personal security team but for the most part my family and friends are good people, it's just a precaution.

One rule I would have is no helping out friends that haven't talked to me or called me in over a month prior to my first PGA tour win. I don't need ex girlfriends and frienemies trying to cash in. That sort of drama might give me the yips

what is your handicap? I would like to get mine down to scratch soon and play some qualifiers, but its tough. I've shot 65's on my local course but whole different ball game away from home.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    what is your handicap? I would like to get mine down to scratch soon and play some qualifiers, but its tough. I've shot 65's on my local course but whole different ball game away from home.
    That was really just a joke, I have been around a 10 handicap for quite awhile. You sound like you have talent and i wish you luck. The main thing that separates the professionals from the talented amateurs is the mental game, especially in golf. Do you perform your best under extreme pressure? I don't think this can be learned and I hope you are one of the few, GL!

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    That was really just a joke, I have been around a 10 handicap for quite awhile. You sound like you have talent and i wish you luck. The main thing that separates the professionals from the talented amateurs is the mental game, especially in golf. Do you perform your best under extreme pressure? I don't think this can be learned and I hope you are one of the few, GL!

I perform well under pressure with money on the line IMO. I would say I'm around a 4 or 5 handicap right now, but I play my local course too much for it to really be accurate. My only real problem is my short game. I've become a much better putter lately and I'm a decent ballstriker, but my wedge game just isn't as good as it should be

tto827

I perform well under pressure with money on the line IMO. I would say I'm around a 4 or 5 handicap right now, but I play my local course too much for it to really be accurate. My only real problem is my short game. I've become a much better putter lately and I'm a decent ballstriker, but my wedge game just isn't as good as it should be
    That's some serious variance to shoot 65 while being a 4 or 5 handicap. I'm scratch and I have never shot under 68, granted I try and stay away from the dink and dunk courses now-a-days, but still. I've shot 5-under on a side before, fell apart on the back though to finish 2 deep. And just a warning, going from 4 to scratch is very tough. Definitely have to have a solid short game if you are going anywhere with it.

I was talking to Roberto Castro (he played at GT and has his tour card but trying to move up the ranks still) and he said, "Nobody ever ball-struck their way onto the tour. Every guy out there has a better short-game then anyone you have ever played with." He then went on to say that ball-striking is often what moves guys in the 75-125 range on the moneylist, down into the single digits.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

a lot man. i'm not a materialistic guy.

i just want enough money to where i don't have to worry about money. i'd donate a lot of it.

TPowell

That's some serious variance to shoot 65 while being a 4 or 5 handicap. I'm scratch and I have never shot under 68, granted I try and stay away from the dink and dunk courses now-a-days, but still. I've shot 5-under on a side before, fell apart on the back though to finish 2 deep. And just a warning, going from 4 to scratch is very tough. Definitely have to have a solid short game if you are going anywhere with it.

I was talking to Roberto Castro (he played at GT and has his tour card but trying to move up the ranks still) and he said, "Nobody ever ball-struck their way onto the tour. Every guy out there has a better short-game then anyone you have ever played with." He then went on to say that ball-striking is often what moves guys in the 75-125 range on the moneylist, down into the single digits.

I play with a shut clubface which makes timing absolutely critical. During the summer when I play in tournaments most weekends, I literally play 5-6 days a week and HAVE to play Thursday and Friday to establish rhythm before the weekend and tournaments start.

tto827

I play with a shut clubface which makes timing absolutely critical. During the summer when I play in tournaments most weekends, I literally play 5-6 days a week and HAVE to play Thursday and Friday to establish rhythm before the weekend and tournaments start.
    Interesting. I would say thats a positive though, because if there is that much timing involved, you have significant room for improvement. I used to be a hack, hit 4 maybe 6 greens a round max, but chip and putt my way to sub 80 rounds. At that point I was the same way, but then I started to get burned out come tourney time.

I now devote at least an hour or so a day to golf, but only 3-4 days a week on the course, and only hitting balls 2-3 times a week. Hitting the gym and increasing hip/shoulder/back flexibility becomes key when trying to get from scratch to +2 or +3.

TPowell

Interesting. I would say thats a positive though, because if there is that much timing involved, you have significant room for improvement. I used to be a hack, hit 4 maybe 6 greens a round max, but chip and putt my way to sub 80 rounds. At that point I was the same way, but then I started to get burned out come tourney time.

I now devote at least an hour or so a day to golf, but only 3-4 days a week on the course, and only hitting balls 2-3 times a week. Hitting the gym and increasing hip/shoulder/back flexibility becomes key when trying to get from scratch to +2 or +3.

It's very awkward to watch. I have a video on youtube of it exactly, I'll pm it to you

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6495

Play to a 4 handicap myself. IMO what separates the scratch golfers from tour pros is the short game. How those pros save par from everywhere and avg 28 putts a round baffles me

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

I'd piss every dime away, endorse Obama, and expect everyone else to take care of me.

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

my friends all gamble too... i'd just take em all to vegas give em 5k each and see how each one fares...cant say after i didnt do nothing for em

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by freeVICK View Post
    Play to a 4 handicap myself. IMO what separates the scratch golfers from tour pros is the short game. How those pros save par from everywhere and avg 28 putts a round baffles me

makes it easier when they play quick and perfect greens, all you have to do is get the ball started but they just have no variation in their strokes for the most part. The other thing we dont realize is how hard it is to hold those greens with anything over a 7 or 8 iron.

tto827

makes it easier when they play quick and perfect greens, all you have to do is get the ball started but they just have no variation in their strokes for the most part. The other thing we dont realize is how hard it is to hold those greens with anything over a 7 or 8 iron.
    Yup, those greens are flawless. Those guys are incredible its as simple as that. By the way, I couldn't respond to your PM cause your box is full. Swing looks much better than I'd expected.

TPowell

Yup, those greens are flawless. Those guys are incredible its as simple as that. By the way, I couldn't respond to your PM cause your box is full. Swing looks much better than I'd expected.
    my bad, just cleaned it out. appreciate it, try to keep shit as simple as possible in my swing and let it be a natural movement

Avenger
    Avenger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Even if it's your mother??

To answer the OP's question: dunno, depends on the person. I can't stand what's left of my immediate family, so answer is NONE, unless they were needing healthcare or rent. New car?? Fukk them.

But to family members and friends who have helped me get to where I am, or supported me... I'd share everything I can afford. But I'm not a hoarder, if I have the money, I like sharing it with the people I love (as long as they don't abuse it).

What fun is spending millions by yourself anyways?

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

35.7%

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Start a business and employ them all. Idle hands and whatnot.

God bless.

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

ALL FAMILY would be GIVING some SORT of MONEY NO QUESTIONS ASKED. BEST FRIENDS WOULD BE TREATED like the BEST FRIENDS they are to me also

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

Almost all athletes end up broke for a reason. #1 on that list is friends and family.

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    Would help my mom and sister with whatever they needed, other than that, wouldn't help my friends since I recently learned most of them aren't true friends anyway. I would probably blow most of it going out and buying unnecessary things like most athletes, I'd be perfect for a pro athletes salary.
    what happened?