Bbr
    Bbr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 414

Anyone have dental problems? Dr. Bbr will help.

Shoot away guys.

A lot of individuals neglect there oral health. I'm just here for some friendly professional advice and to discuss any issues you have.

If you want to disclose your identity you can inbox me and I won't disclose any of your information.

Discuss guys and happy gambling.

This can be an ongoing thread open for advice if warranted.
    Points Awarded:

pronk gave Bbr 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

Instead of brushing your teeth, does rinsing your mouth with rubbing alcohol serve as an effective substitute?

Thanks for the help.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

I got a root canal two years ago, and the motherfukker still hurts if I hit it wrong. What are my options?? Extraction?!

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!
    Iwinyourmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 733

Had a root canal then had it filled in as a temp before I get the crown done.

Pretty sure the filling fell out. But it doesn't hurt since obviously there's no nerves or anything in the tooth. What risk do I carry not having it taken care of anytime soon

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

Is opening a beer bottle with your teeth a bad move?

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by Seaweed View Post
    Instead of brushing your teeth, does rinsing your mouth with rubbing alcohol serve as an effective substitute?

Thanks for the help.
    Hi seaweed

Brushing your teeth is the most effective way to avoid decay and gum/periodontal (bone) disease. Mouthrinses supplement the reduction of plaque formation but DO NOT physically remove plaque.

Many mouthrinses are marketed, many contain alcohol and products which stain. Alcohol is a natural diuretic so if anything is making your mouth dry. Saliva is highly staturated in calcium and phosphate ions which help remineralise enamel (strengthens your teeth).

Tips and conclusions:
    -Brush teeth am & pm. Brushing in circular motions particularly the area where the gum meets the tooth.
    -Mouthrinses DO NOT remove plaque.
    -If you want to help reduce plaque levels in the mouth, u can choose to use a mouth rinse with no alcohol and work on and anti discolouring system such as the curasept range from Curaprox

Hope this helps.

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    I got a root canal two years ago, and the motherfukker still hurts if I hit it wrong. What are my options?? Extraction?!
    Hi brock,

When you say hurt.

1. when does it hurt? what stimulates the pain i.e heat/cold/pressure

Please advise.

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

Are we being billed $1000/hr for this, too?

Brock Landers

Quote Originally Posted by Bbr View Post
    Hi brock,

When you say hurt.

1. when does it hurt? what stimulates the pain i.e heat/cold/pressure

Please advise.
    pressure....75% of the time

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by Iwinyourmoney View Post
    Had a root canal then had it filled in as a temp before I get the crown done.

Pretty sure the filling fell out. But it doesn't hurt since obviously there's no nerves or anything in the tooth. What risk do I carry not having it taken care of anytime soon
    Hi Iwin,

I am confused here.

Do you currently have a crown on this tooth? A filling cant come out without the crown coming out. Have you lost both the crown and the filling? OR

Has the filling come out before you got your crown done , and so you now have a tooth with a no temporary filling AND no crown

Please advise.

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by sweep View Post
    Is opening a beer bottle with your teeth a bad move?
    Hi Sweep,

Yes.

You can risk pulling out a filling, wearing out your tooth enamel (which is irreplaceable structurally) and you may also influence orthodontic movement if you are consistently using the same area. Ie a gap develops between two teeth or you tip a certain tooth in (constant pressure is required for such movement.

Do you smoke? I condemn smoking however, why not use your lighter or the edge of a table.

Hope this helps.

Bbr

pressure....75% of the time
    Hi brock,

Can you get the back of a table spoon and tap the tooth of concern and tell me on a scale of 1-10 how much it hurts. Tap the tooth with the same amount pressure you would to tap for a card when playing black jack. Tap it 3 times for more consistent results.

Please advise.

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    Are we being billed $1000/hr for this, too?
    Please do not cluster this thread. People actually need help/advice.

Thank you.

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!
    Iwinyourmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 733

Hi Iwin,

I am confused here.

Do you currently have a crown on this tooth? A filling cant come out without the crown coming out. Have you lost both the crown and the filling? OR

Has the filling come out before you got your crown done , and so you now have a tooth with a no temporary filling AND no crown

Please advise.
    Fuk if I know.

Had a root canal. Then they did like a temp crown? Supposed to be only good for a year or so......the term "build up" comes to mind maybe?

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

Is it considered bad form to ask to turn the nitrous up? I pay for it out of pocket and feel like I'm barely getting a trickle.

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

Please do not cluster this thread. People actually need help/advice.

Thank you.
    How's it goona feel when Ernie knocks your fukkin teeth out

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    Is it considered bad form to ask to turn the nitrous up? I pay for it out of pocket and feel like I'm barely getting a trickle.
    Different individuals have different thresholds. No dentist would not provide you to beyond this threshold. Have you tried an alternative such as valium?

Hope this helps.

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by Iwinyourmoney View Post
    Fuk if I know.

Had a root canal. Then they did like a temp crown? Supposed to be only good for a year or so......the term "build up" comes to mind maybe?
    I understand.

How long since you had the temp crown done. I advise you see your dentist.

Although the tooth is 'non-vital' you still want to preserve this tooth as I'm sure you do not want this tooth extracted. You can still get an infection leading to a failed root canal and eventual extraction and then were talking crown and bridge work/ partial denture/implant and that is not financially wise.

I recommend a crown for your tooth. Think long term Iwin. I see too many people wait out and then endure periodontal consequences

Hope this helps.

jbart28
    MAGA KAG
    jbart28's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

If you could only do 1 which would be more important to long term dental health:

1. floss
    2. Rinse with mouthwash

thanks

Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

Hi seaweed

Brushing your teeth is the most effective way to avoid decay and gum/periodontal (bone) disease. Mouthrinses supplement the reduction of plaque formation but DO NOT physically remove plaque.

Many mouthrinses are marketed, many contain alcohol and products which stain. Alcohol is a natural diuretic so if anything is making your mouth dry. Saliva is highly staturated in calcium and phosphate ions which help remineralise enamel (strengthens your teeth).

Tips and conclusions:
    -Brush teeth am & pm. Brushing in circular motions particularly the area where the gum meets the tooth.
    -Mouthrinses DO NOT remove plaque.
    -If you want to help reduce plaque levels in the mouth, u can choose to use a mouth rinse with no alcohol and work on and anti discolouring system such as the curasept range from Curaprox

Hope this helps.
    I was thinking the same thing, just wanted to clarify. Thank you.

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by jbart28 View Post
    If you could only do 1 which would be more important to long term dental health:

1. floss
    2. Rinse with mouthwash

thanks
    Hi jbart

Floss.

Mouthrinses can not penetrate gingival pockets. You can actually physically floss down between your teeth and either side of the gum, if this makes sense.

Gum disease is highly prevalent because it is near imposible to remove plaque between your teeth with a tooth brush. Floss is the way to go but there are a lot of pickster/interdental type cleaning products on the market.

If you cant be stuffed spending money. Get a roll of cotton thread and use that. Cheap as chips and does the same job.

Happy to help.

ssmann
    ssmann's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2465

i woke up monday with some slight cracking in my jaw (left side) when i open it wide enough. theres no pain and it gets a lil bit sore after eating, any advice?

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by ssmann View Post
    i woke up monday with some slight cracking in my jaw (left side) when i open it wide enough. theres no pain and it gets a lil bit sore after eating, any advice?
    Hi ssmann,

Are you aware if you grind your teeth at night?
    Have you had your wisdom teeth out?

Sometimes we grind at night which puts a lot of pressure around our temperomandibular joints (TMJ). This just means that your muscles are sore. Just like when you go to the gym, after a session you are sore but rest often allows it to recover. So just rest your mouth. Limit the amount of times you open your mouth widely.

You can go to your local dentist and get a night guard, which is like a mouth guard but a lot thinner. Prevents you from wearing your teetha dn slighlty reduces occlusal pressure.

SOmetimes the pain may be from an unrelated area. For example the pain could be from an erupting wisdom tooth.

The cracking is not uncommon. It just means that when you open your TMJ is slightly deviated. Should not be a big concern unless it is giving you headaches.

This issue is really hard to disagnose without diagnostic material. If you are really concerned I recommend seeing the dentist for a panoramic radiograph (xray).

Hope this helps. Just give your jaws some rest.

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

A few questions for you:

Do any of those enamel strengthening toothpaste really work or is it a waste of money? Talking like ProNamel? Or once the enamel is gone it's gone?

When a person is paying out of pocket, what should/could they negotiate percentage wise? Not trying to be cheap here, but it eliminates the need for the office to bill the insurance, no wait time for payment, I assume the office would prefer it honestly.

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by stikymess View Post
    A few questions for you:

Do any of those enamel strengthening toothpaste really work or is it a waste of money? Talking like ProNamel? Or once the enamel is gone it's gone?

When a person is paying out of pocket, what should/could they negotiate percentage wise? Not trying to be cheap here, but it eliminates the need for the office to bill the insurance, no wait time for payment, I assume the office would prefer it honestly.
    Hi stiky

Ive been waiting this question.
    -Enamel CAN NOT be replaced. gone means gone. Wheter from chipping it or slowly wearing it away with acidic drinks/tooth wear etc.
    -ALL toothpastes pretty much strengthen your enamel structure. This is why they can market it this way. Tooth paste doesnt put enamel back on it just puts strong minerals into the enamel making it stronger not 'bigger/more of'

I understand where you are coming from.
    It is always best to ask for an invoice. Everyone bills differently to determnine whether you pay an additional fee. Just know they always milk the most out of your insurance. Once you have the invoice just ask which item numbers relate to which treatment. Unnecessary treatment often relates to something like applying a topical fluoride when you dont really need it. This is hard to gauge because what if you do need it.....If that makes any sense.

Regardless, When you are paying out of pocket, it is up to the dentists discretion. Just make sure you tell them that you are paying out of pocket before the appointment and common sense should prevail in most cases. Many will bill you more if you are just say non-compliant, a 'difficult' patient and not want your services. This is hard for me to admit but unfortunately thats the world we live in. It infuriates me.

I recommend you find a dentist you trust and develop a really good relationship with them if you intend on paying out of pocket. Maybe from a close friend or family.

Hope this has helped.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Are any types of toothpaste better than others or is it all marketing hype?

Bbr

Anything with fluoride is fine. its all marketing as companies know its pretty much a household necessity.

i do appreciate colgate sensitive pro-relief for those with sensitive teeth.

sneakerhead
    I NEED MONEY
    sneakerhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1417

Hi BBr, what are your credentials?

Good thread here, thanks for taking your time to help individuals here!
    Last edited by sneakerhead; 10-20-12 at 04:51 AM.

Bbr

Quote Originally Posted by sneakerhead View Post
    Hi BBr, what are your credentials?

Good thread here, thanks for taking your time to help individuals here!

Quick question about invisalign. If you stop wearing them, what happens or what is the proper procedure?
    Hi sneakerhead,

I don't know what you mean when you say credentials.

I assume you mean stop wearing your aligners while in treatment. In this case it would mean that your teeth will move back/in a way not planned by invisalign. As a result you may have to move back to your previous aligner which will hopefully fight (but may be tight) Worse comes to worse a new set of aligners can be produced. I do not have the most experience with invisalign but I hope I have answered your queries.

Im here to help brother. =)

Ps. Full fix appliances (braces) > Invisalign. Not a huge fan of clear aligners.

Brock Landers

Good stuff doc!!

Bbr

Good stuff doc!!
    No problems brother. I am here to help =)

sneakerhead
    I NEED MONEY
    sneakerhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1417

Hi sneakerhead,

I don't know what you mean when you say credentials.

I assume you mean stop wearing your aligners while in treatment. In this case it would mean that your teeth will move back/in a way not planned by invisalign. As a result you may have to move back to your previous aligner which will hopefully fight (but may be tight) Worse comes to worse a new set of aligners can be produced. I do not have the most experience with invisalign but I hope I have answered your queries.

Im here to help brother. =)

Ps. Full fix appliances (braces) > Invisalign. Not a huge fan of clear aligners.

I was just wondering where you studied etc and if you are a DDS or equivalent?

I edited that part because I realized you are in Australia and invisalign might not be available there.
    Thanks for the help though, I understand the traditional braces are better and they are cheaper too but clear ones are a bit more convenient.
    I got busy with school myself so stopped wearing the clear aligners, hoping to get back on track now.

I am pursuing a dental degree as well but still have to go through the process of applying etc

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

have a wisdom tooth on top right and bottom right all the way at the end and after not having any pain for a couple years on it the bottom one is starting to hurt and I am worried that I may have a decay. What do I do? I would like to keep these teeth in place if possible.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

BBR - I haven't had my teeth cleaned in about 12 years. Is my mouth totally fukked? Or can it still be saved?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: dodger33

ssmann
    ssmann's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2465

Hi ssmann,

Are you aware if you grind your teeth at night?
    Have you had your wisdom teeth out?

Sometimes we grind at night which puts a lot of pressure around our temperomandibular joints (TMJ). This just means that your muscles are sore. Just like when you go to the gym, after a session you are sore but rest often allows it to recover. So just rest your mouth. Limit the amount of times you open your mouth widely.

You can go to your local dentist and get a night guard, which is like a mouth guard but a lot thinner. Prevents you from wearing your teetha dn slighlty reduces occlusal pressure.

SOmetimes the pain may be from an unrelated area. For example the pain could be from an erupting wisdom tooth.

The cracking is not uncommon. It just means that when you open your TMJ is slightly deviated. Should not be a big concern unless it is giving you headaches.

This issue is really hard to disagnose without diagnostic material. If you are really concerned I recommend seeing the dentist for a panoramic radiograph (xray).

Hope this helps. Just give your jaws some rest.
    Sounds good, i had my wisdom teeth out about 8 years ago. Solid thread

123 Last