It's that time of year in most places, although when I lived in Tampa, this was in February.

I went with my wife and 6 year old daughter; boy i'll just comment a little.

I always liked to play the games, even though I knew they were a rip-off. Especially the basketball throws. I've always known the rims were trimmed a bit smaller and slanted a bit forwards, but I always tried anyway. Not this year.

A baseball throw. Pretty damn easy contest to the throw the ball between 2 lines 18 inches apart from 40 feet away, but even if you won, you still got ripped off. I just didn't want to look like Obama throwing out a first pitch. So, I passed.

The rides; just two I will mention:

Big slide:

Pretty easy, right. I showed my 6 year old the way up, helped her with the carpet, and watched her go. Then I slid. She was giggly with fun.

Me. Well, this slide was fast! I was flying off the last slide hump, landing and hurting my back, and then desperately trying to slow down as I got near the carpet twisting to avoid fun-loving kids who were walking into my lane not realizing a 170 lb madman was barreling upon them.

Himalaya:

This is a pretty ubiquitous ride at most carnivals. Called by different names; it's supposed to be a simulated mountain snow ride, I guess, to the tune of rock music. I've loved it in the past. It was TORTURE, this time. I don't exxagerate. I was in the same seat with my wife and daughter sitting on the outside, and as the speed picked up, my wife was pushing my ribs into the unchusioned side, and I thought my ribs would break. Not to mention the excruciating bumpiness of the ride. Trust me, if I had been an al Qaeda terrorist, I would have given up my troop positions not to go through that again.

So, I guess, I'm just getting old.