Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Quote Originally Posted by Lookingtostart View Post
    No, there is no god, never will be and never was. Society in general likes to put a personality/entity to something which they can not explain.
    Ahh, but it HAS been explained, to some extent. The rest is the mystery of our faith(s).

Oh, and if, in your utilitarian dialectic, "society" cannot "explain" something (God in this case), then logically it does not matter what society or individuals think;
    it's beyond human ability to empirically confirm or deny, according to
    scientific methods. Fact is, atheists have absolutely no logical ground to stand
    on. Atheism is a religion, so is macroevolution.
    They are not any more logical than faith, and to many they are far less logical than a belief in God.
    Last edited by Snowball; 10-01-12 at 08:09 AM.

Vrindavan
    Vrindavan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

People define God differently.
    They believe in God that match their own definitions,
    but reject the idea of God not matching their own definitions.

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5578

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Ahh, but it HAS been explained, to some extent. The rest is the mystery of our faith(s).

Oh, and if, in your utilitarian dialectic, "society" cannot "explain" something (God in this case), then logically it does not matter what society or individuals think;
    it's beyond human ability to empirically confirm or deny, according to
    scientific methods. Fact is, atheists have absolutely no logical ground to stand
    on. Atheism is a religion, so is macroevolution.
    They are not any more logical than faith, and to many they are far less logical than a belief in God.
    Well said.

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

Absolutely, god is always first. It is privilege to be on this earth no matter the circumstances, if you are not thankful or happy to be here kill yourself, bottom line

xraygord
    xraygord's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 322

billyloco
    et5tdFRy
    billyloco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1620

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging Johnson View Post
    While we all have reservations and doubts, some more than others, I cannot help but smirk at the snarky, arrogant posts of the self-professed atheists. The bottom line is that they have no more proof that God does not exist than those who believe in Him. The devout would conjecture that they do have proof as written in parables while the skeptics would dismiss any and all claims based on lack of hard evidence.

While I respect a person's right to believe or disbelieve anything they choose, I am always fascinated at the pompous nature of the non-believers. If religion provides solace and comfort to one's fellow man then why take such glee in taking that away? Many of the atheists like Mr. Galt take even more joy in ridiculing the fire and brimstone, born again evangelicals because they are so certain and resolute in their faith and denounce those who don't believe. Kind of seems to me like you are doing the same thing, doesn't it? Pot meet kettle.

As for why bad things happen to good people. We are given free will by God, and if Mother Theresa chose to step in front of a train, she would perish like anyone else (yes, I know she's deceased). God does not intervene. Free will is what we have been granted and we are simply not meant to understand this life. It's bigger than all of us whether you believe or not.

In short, respect other people's choices and if you disagree, be kind because the fact is, you too may be wrong.
    I'm a sinner, period. I feel my life has been spared 6/7 times from medical situations, spared due to all my friends, and family praying for me? Yes.

I agree 100% with Swinging Johnson, I just do not possess the knowledge to put it ever so eloquently as he.

xraygord
    xraygord's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 322

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging Johnson View Post
    While we all have reservations and doubts, some more than others, I cannot help but smirk at the snarky, arrogant posts of the self-professed atheists. The bottom line is that they have no more proof that God does not exist than those who believe in Him. The devout would conjecture that they do have proof as written in parables while the skeptics would dismiss any and all claims based on lack of hard evidence.
    Well I was brought up a Roman Catholic and I did beleive. Once I became educated I came to learn the simple fact that there are no gods

Either what we are taught in science is wrong or what it says in the bible is wrong. It is impossible for them both to be right.

Science offers logical explanation that makes sense, and well the bible simply doesn't.

I refuse to respect a religion that says if I don't kneel before God I will burn in hell, or Allah that thinks I should be killed if I am a non-beleiver.

KingJD31

Problem with atheists is they think they are smarter then they really are. I am greek orthodox Christian, I don't believe everything my religion says. I believe in evolution, I believe in reincarnation not heaven. Obviously science plays a big role but something started this whole universe it didn't just happen because of science, that is ignorant. Athiests give me a cliff notes version how the universe started

KingJD31

They all wear non prescribe glasses and bring their ipads to Starbucks talk about global warning

Snowball

Quote Originally Posted by xraygord View Post
    Well I was brought up a Roman Catholic and I did beleive. Once I became educated I came to learn the simple fact that there are no gods

Either what we are taught in science is wrong or what it says in the bible is wrong. It is impossible for them both to be right.

Science offers logical explanation that makes sense, and well the bible simply doesn't.

I refuse to respect a religion that says if I don't kneel before God I will burn in hell, or Allah that thinks I should be killed if I am a non-beleiver.

You're out of your mind. Obviously a victim of internet bullcrap, and not old enough to know better, because you need to understand that this 2012 is not 1986. What has changed ? Think about it rationally.. a bunch of idiots and opportunists trying to sell and make careers out of new spurious "concepts", figments of their imaginations, and they build followings. A total control and ownership of media and education by liar elites. These fools are tools of Satan. They are mush balls in his hands. Satan rewards them with the illusionary jewels of iniquity.
    Go back to Mass. Re-acclimate yourself to your roots, ask the Holy Spirit to guide you. These are the challenges young men face today.
    If you've never read this, which would be a shame, because you said you
    were raised Catholic, but missing all the basics in your heart, open. I don't
    know where to even begin with victims like you. So sopped in lies, I would have to dissect every single lie one at a time.
    http://www.bing.com/search?q=baltimo...MXB003&pc=MXBR
    Last edited by Snowball; 10-01-12 at 02:57 PM.

KingJD31

Snowball nailed it, internet filled with atheists they fall for the trap like scientologists.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Quote Originally Posted by KingJD31 View Post
    I am greek orthodox Christian, I don't believe everything my religion says. I believe in evolution, I believe in reincarnation not heaven.

This is why people quote the "fact" that 85% of Americans are religous/christian, when most people fall under the agnostic umbrella.

You're not greek orthodox Christian at all. You might come from a family that was at one time and you would probably check the orthodox Christian box if you were answering questions on a religion survey, but Christians don't believe in reincarnation. Some have found room in their beliefs for evolution, but you could argue those people aren't actual Christians either.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Quote Originally Posted by KingJD31 View Post
    Snowball nailed it, internet filled with atheists they fall for the trap like scientologists.

Do you really believe snowball nailed it? Do you really believe what he says about online idiots being "tools of Satan"?

Or do you ignore some of what he says and focus on the parts that are the easiest to believe in and agree with?

KingJD31

I am ignorant to my own religion, have not been to church in couple years so I am not exactly loyal to it. But I believe in god and Jesus Christ son of god, that is really it. I respect others beliefs I just don't like people telling me I shouldn't believe in god
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    This is why people quote the "fact" that 85% of Americans are religous/christian, when most people fall under the agnostic umbrella.

You're not greek orthodox Christian at all. You might come from a family that was at one time and you would probably check the orthodox Christian box if you were answering questions on a religion survey, but Christians don't believe in reincarnation. Some have found room in their beliefs for evolution, but you could argue those people aren't actual Christians either.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

So basically all the people who responded YES to the question basically believe this:

"The Inventor of the laws of physics and Programmer of the DNA code decided to enter the uterus of a Jewish virgin, got himself born, then deliberately had himself tortured and executed because he could not think of a better way to forgive the theft of an apple, committed at the instigation of a talking snake. As Creator of the majestically expanding universe, he not only understands relativistic gravity and quantum mechanics but actually designed them. Yet what he really cares about is "sin," abortion, how often you go to church, and whether gay people should get married."

Am I missing something here?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: JohnGalt2341

Snowball

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear View Post
    Am I missing something here?
    You're missing everything.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

You're missing everything.
    Like what? LOL no such thing as God. I feel sorry for the people who believe in that little fairy tale.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

And I have two serious questions for all those who believe?

1) How old is the universe?
    2) Can snakes talk?

Snowball

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Do you really believe snowball nailed it? Do you really believe what he says about online idiots being "tools of Satan"?

Or do you ignore some of what he says and focus on the parts that are the easiest to believe in and agree with?
    I have an answer for everything.

Snowball

And I have two serious questions for all those who believe?

1) How old is the universe?
    2) Can snakes talk?
    1. Timeless, although the "universe" as we are capable of perceiving it is only recent.
    It's condition as we experience it began at the Fall of Man.
    2. No. Satan did not possess the body of a "snake". He possessed the body of a "serpent".

BuddyBear
    Update your status

I have an answer for everything.
    Do not take this personally, but you are an idiot if you believe the earth is 5000 years old and snakes can talk.

Snowball

Do not take this personally, but you are an idiot if you believe the earth is 5000 years old and snakes can talk.
    Hardly. That misunderstanding is perpetuated by morons, intentional and victimized.
    True Christians know the Earth was not created 5000 or 6000 years ago. By the way, that number of years is based upon the actual genaeology in the Bible. Adam is traced and the number of each progenitor's years leads to roughly (there is an exact number) almost 6000 years ago. BUT that is NOT the number of years to Creation. It is the number of years to the Fall.
    Here is a free dvd you can request: http://timelyministries.com/
    that DVD is among the best I have seen outlining the Biblical chronology,
    although it is heretical in other matters.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

1. Timeless, although the "universe" as we are capable of perceiving it is only recent.
    It's condition as we experience it began at the Fall of Man.
    2. No. Satan did not possess the body of a "snake". He possessed the body of a "serpent".
    So it does not dawn on you that when the Bible was written, like 99% of the people were illiterate and that there were no scientific explanations for anything. In other words, to explain random events God was invented as a way to fill in those gaps of knowledge. If you have not noticed, science has and continues to be a much preferable explanation for how things work. I read a lot of research papers over the course of a year and I can say that I have never seen a research paper cite the Bible for anything.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

I have another serious question: If you are so certain that there is a God and that you will enjoy the afterlife with Him, why not just kill yourself now? I don't mean it personally but why not just end your life now to be with God if He is so great? I see most believers are frightened of dying. If you truly believed, you should be eager to die.

Snowball

So it does not dawn on you that when the Bible was written, like 99% of the people were illiterate and that there were no scientific explanations for anything. In other words, to explain random events God was invented as a way to fill in those gaps of knowledge. If you have not noticed, science has and continues to be a much preferable explanation for how things work. I read a lot of research papers over the course of a year and I can say that I have never seen a research paper cite the Bible for anything.
    It's time for you to wake up and realize that scientists are funded by grants which come from sources that are atheist, or at least have a mission of promulgating the atheist agenda, as pathetic as it is, and it is totally pathetic. Scientists are tools, especially the lower-level scientists who are not even really scientists at all... they are mouthpieces.
    Mouthpieces of nonsense.
    Look, it's obvious that you have no knowledge of history at all, and it's not your fault. It's the fault of the establishment society we live under.

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3643

True Christians know the Earth was not created 5000 or 6000 years ago.
    What exactly is a "true Christian"? I hear this term quite often and I still don't know what it is. What percentage of Christians are "true Christians"? Do only the True Christians make it to Heaven? Or do the non-true Christians make it there as well?

Snowball

I have another serious question: If you are so certain that there is a God and that you will enjoy the afterlife with Him, why not just kill yourself now? I don't mean it personally but why not just end your life now to be with God if He is so great? I see most believers are frightened of dying. If you truly believed, you should be eager to die.
    I did not create myself. My life, and yours, are not mine to take, nor is yours yours to take.
    You do not own yourself. You are a loved soul, loved by your Creator.
    Eager to die ? No, but not afraid of it either, because I am dependent upon the Mercy which gave birth to me.. I will die, unless the Second Coming is here before I die. After
    I die, my soul will leave my dead body. My soul is property of God. God will take me to limbo, or paradise, or purgatory, or deem me to wander the Earth, as a spirit, until the Day of Judgement, and the Restoration of ALL THINGS when my soul will be reunited with my body, and I will be weighed in the
    balance. This time is temporary. This time, will go. 28 generations of seventy years since the incarnation of Christ, is all we have endured !
    Last edited by Snowball; 10-01-12 at 04:00 PM.

uncynd
    America Jr
    uncynd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 228

I find it so funny to see how religious people condemn others for whatever reason. This thread is a perfect example, do you guys not see yourselves as hypocrites? Really?

BuddyBear
    Update your status

It's time for you to wake up and realize that scientists are funded by grants which come from sources that are atheist, or at least have a mission of promulgating the atheist agenda, as pathetic as it is, and it is totally pathetic. Scientists are tools, especially the lower-level scientists who are not even really scientists at all... they are mouthpieces.
    Mouthpieces of nonsense.
    Look, it's obvious that you have no knowledge of history at all, and it's not your fault. It's the fault of the establishment society we live under.
    Umm okay. You sound like the typical brainwashed Christian who can't articulate any of their "beliefs" into anything more than the standard "God is great" and " God is everything" or "God has a plan for all of us" nonsense. Guess what. All that stuff is B.S. and is for people who are intellectually weak or have no desire to improve their knowledge of how things work. When you are called out on it, EPIC FAIL on your part. True Christians believe in talking snakes and the earth is some 5 or 10 thousand or whatever years old. Let me guess, your parents were Christian and therefore you are Christian.

Just to let you know, I have a phd in a science related subject and this is not the way science works. I would strongly suggest to you, at the very least, intimately acquaint yourself with how we build scientific knowledge before you make such ridiculous claims. You show your true colors when you make statements like "funded by grants which come from sources that are atheist." We do not build scientific knowledge by producing "findings" from made up atheist organizations who fund research projects. We develop a base of knowledge through scientific inquiry which is critically evaluated and independently replicated by the scientific community. The more we are able to replicate certain findings, the greater our confidence is in the findings. This is called "scientific inquiry." Because the scientific process is value-neutral, bad ideas get discarded in favor of better ideas that have more predicative, explanatory, and descriptive power. The reason why religious theories have no currency by the scientific community is that they have been tested and have been discarded in favor of better explanations of how the world works. There is no "atheist agenda." On the contrary. The agenda is by religious organizations to brainwash everyone into believing stuff that has 0% basis in reality.

I would strongly suggest opening up a book every now and then to improve your understanding of the world rather than have 8000+ posts on a gambling forum in less than 3 years.

Snowball

Umm okay. You sound like the typical brainwashed Christian who can't articulate any of their "beliefs" into anything more than the standard "God is great" and " God is everything" or "God has a plan for all of us" nonsense. Guess what. All that stuff is B.S. and is for people who are intellectually weak or have no desire to improve their knowledge of how things work. When you are called out on it, EPIC FAIL on your part. True Christians believe in talking snakes and the earth is some 5 or 10 thousand or whatever years old. Let me guess, your parents were Christian and therefore you are Christian.

Just to let you know, I have a phd in a science related subject and this is not the way science works. I would strongly suggest to you, at the very least, intimately acquaint yourself with how we build scientific knowledge before you make such ridiculous claims. You show your true colors when you make statements like "funded by grants which come from sources that are atheist." We do not build scientific knowledge by producing "findings" from made up atheist organizations who fund research projects. We develop a base of knowledge through scientific inquiry which is critically evaluated and independently replicated by the scientific community. The more we are able to replicate certain findings, the greater our confidence is in the findings. This is called "scientific inquiry." Because the scientific process is value-neutral, bad ideas get discarded in favor of better ideas that have more predicative, explanatory, and descriptive power. The reason why religious theories have no currency by the scientific community is that they have been tested and have been discarded in favor of better explanations of how the world works. There is no "atheist agenda." On the contrary. The agenda is by religious organizations to brainwash everyone into believing stuff that has 0% basis in reality.

I would strongly suggest opening up a book every now and then to improve your understanding of the world rather than have 8000+ posts on a gambling forum in less than 3 years.
    scroll back and look at my previous post, that's my world outlook. Which this post does not address, nor do I care one whit what you have to say, because you're still only a man, and I also have a master's degree, but I'm a lot wiser than you are.
    I can debate you on any topic, and crush you. You wish to instill
    disbelief upon readers, based upon your own ignorance. I will not
    stand for that.
    Last edited by Snowball; 10-01-12 at 04:13 PM.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

scroll back and look at my previous post, that's my world outlook. Which this post does not
    address, nor do I care one whit what you have to say, because you're still only a man, and
    I also have a master's degree, but I'm a lot wiser than you are.
    I looked at your posts. They make no sense. If they did make sense, I would tell you. If you tell me that I take comfort in religion for X and Y and Z then okay, maybe that is different or that you cling on religion because you are afraid or whatever. But when you say things like there was no talking snake but rather it Satan was in disguise. At that point, I just say that the person is basically an idiot and a hypocrite. While you are out enjoying your cell phones and watching your TV and riding in your car enjoying all the discoveries of science, you still find room in your mind to believe in some antiquated set of beliefs that has never been verified by science.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Mouthpieces of nonsense.
    And sorry, but there is 0% chance that you have a graduate degree if you say stuff like this. There is just no way someone could go through higher education and not learn the scientific process. Either you got one at one of those crappy online schools or religious schools that teach nothing but propaganda.

Snowball

And sorry, but there is 0% chance that you have a graduate degree if you say stuff like this. There is just no way someone could go through higher education and not learn the scientific process. Either you got one at one of those crappy online schools or religious schools that teach nothing but propaganda.
    Kid, I have a Master's degree from Rhode Island College in History, and a Bachelor's graduated 1990 at URI. I post on this site because I am a successful sports handicapper who enjoys the company of fellow gamblers. You're really cocky. Why ? I don't care why, except that I know you are a victim of this age. You are a fool who can't see the big picture.

BuddyBear
    Update your status

Kid, I have a Master's degree from Rhode Island College in History, and a Bachelor's graduated 1990 at URI. I post on this site because I am a successful sports handicapper who enjoys the company of fellow gamblers. You're really cocky. Why ? I don't care why, except that I know you are a victim of this age. You are a fool who can't see the big picture.
    LOL, I have friend who teaches at RIC and she told me it is basically a community college. And if you do have a master's degree, it is clear you did not learn anything from it. You are not a successful sports gambler. You don't even have $200 to be a pro on this site even though you spend all day on here. Enough with the nonsense. Who do you think you are fooling?

BuddyBear
    Update your status

And is not gambling prohibited in the Bible too?

First 123 Last