physed
    physed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 391

OT: Car won't start

I have a Mitsubishi Eclipse with manual transmission. It will not start until I try shifting gears at least 4 times before finally starting. Any suggestions

acl123
    syndicate
    acl123's Avatar Become A Pro!

Neutral safety switchh?

in2thethickofit
    in2thethickofit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by acl123 View Post
    Neutral safety switchh?
    this.

Rod_M
    Rod_M's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3329

Neutral safety switchh?
    Aren't those only found on automatic cars, his is a manual transmission, I would check the gearbox oil and/or service it right away, gearbox problems are a pain and usually not easy fixes on manual transmissions.

Also make sure your pedaling your clutch way down and also check to see if the clutch wire is actually moving, you can sometimes see it near the engine.

acl123
    syndicate
    acl123's Avatar Become A Pro!

I dont know about mitsu but some manuals have a NSS.Some are behind the clutch pedal.

Rod_M
    Rod_M's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3329

I dont know about mitsu but some manuals have a NSS.Some are behind the clutch pedal.
    Yeah guess we are talking about the same thing, though on manuals, this sensor doesn't check for the gear to be in neutral, it actually checks for the clutch pedal to be pressed in order to start, but yeah that sounds like the bugger.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: acl123