MatI
    MatI's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7480

Quote Originally Posted by JayHorne3 View Post
    There has to be a time of non-existence or there could not a creation of anything. In my opinion this is the biggest argument for a pro god vs. no god debate. I am not saying you have to believe in a book with 0 scientific backing but you also can not say with certainty that a supreme power initiated the creation of the universe. If you could, you would have to explain how abolute nothing was made into the particles that caused creation or led to it should I say. And I believe one poster suggested science has explained this, please elaborate. Please do not give me the Stephen Hawking explanation as has already been shredded by scientific debate. Hawking tried to explain the existence of anti-matter in today's world but this would not have worked in a world at the time of non-existence. Therefore, this is the part of the debate where nobody is going to be able to "prove or explain" with absolute certainty. It is just my personal opinion, that existence can not evolve from non-existence without the materials needed for creation. That along with many other factors leads me to believe in God. Now how God interacts with humans is an entirely different debate.
    But this could be used against the 'god' argument as well. Surely if god created the universe as we know it, then who created god? Was there something before god or did he just create 'himself' from nothing?

Also, on the point of the universe starting from nothing. What I think gets missed is that the nothing is actually something.

wikkidinsane
    wikkidinsane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

dante i cant prove anything and i dont have any original ideas of my own.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Quote Originally Posted by wikkidinsane View Post
    dante i cant prove anything and i dont have any original ideas of my own.

I don't think that is true, I think you have plenty of thoughts about this topic but you don't want to share because you are afraid to verbalize them. I think you might be ashamed of what you believe and you got to the cusp but changed your mind. Why believe in them if you can't talk about them?

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

God and the Universe (or the energy that makes up the universe) has always existed. There is no Beginning and End.

The Human Mind can't comprehend something always existing, therefore Science can never explain certain things

The Scientific Method is man-made too, if we're going to dismiss things that humans materialized.
    Last edited by BettingWizard; 08-30-12 at 05:20 PM.

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    And you have a lot of faith in what your environment taught you. Imagine you had been born in Africa or India. You would not believe in Jesus Christ or the Christian God. Doesn't that speak volumes to you? You believe in the deity that you do simply because you are a product of your environment.
    Reincarnation. We've been around for awhile

Odessa
    Odessa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4136

Quote Originally Posted by BettingWizard View Post
    I'll also add that the sun being the exact amount of distance it needs to be for life to be possible. Any closer or further, and we are all dead

Also things in space never colliding into our planet

You can add a million other things.

The Mathematical odds of everything falling in place for us to exist, is a number too big for us to even imagine
    For less fortunate who missed their science class:
    "Scientists calculate that a collision of Earth with a stony asteroid about 10 kilometers (6 miles) in diameter, traveling at 25 kilometers per second (about 56,000 miles per hour), would almost instantaneously release energy equivalent to the explosion of about 100 million megatons of TNT (trinitrotoluene). This is more energy than that stored in the entire nuclear arsenal of the world. The energy released by such an impact would set fire to vast areas of forest, and the smoke from the fires and the dust created by the impact would block the sunlight for months or years, eventually killing virtually all green plants and most organisms that depend on them. This could explain why about 70% of all species—not just dinosaurs—disappeared at the same time. Scientists also calculate that this impact would form a crater at least 125 kilometers (78 miles) in diameter. Recently, satellite images from a Space Shuttle mission confirmed that a huge asteroid or comet crashed into Earth’s surface across the Yucatan’s northern tip in the Gulf of Mexico 65 million years ago, leaving a partially submerged crater 180 kilometers (112 miles) in diameter."

BTW.... when dinosaurs ruled the earth there were NO homo sapiens.

The Mathematical odds of everything falling in place for us to exist, is a number too big for us to even imagine

hahaha - there're more planets than sand specks on the entire earth. You don't know what are talking about. Odds works out. Read probability book.

Keep believing in your imaginery idols.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Betting Wizard I certainly don't want to be a prick and I am not a scientist but you don't keep up with the science at all, not even a little bit. The sun is the exact distance because there were billions of possibilities for that to happen, the mathematical odds of everything happening and falling in place happened because there were billions of chances for it to happen.

First 123