ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9752

Papa John's to raise pizza prices if 'Obamacare' survives: CEO

Get ready to pay more for your Papa John’s pizza if "Obamacare" goes into full effect … a whopping 15 to 20 cents more.
    John Schnatter, chief executive of the pizza chain, is bashingPresident Obama’s healthcare reform law as a policy that will force the company to choose between its customers and its investors.
    And if the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act rolls out as planned in 2014, Schnatter’s strategy is “of course … to pass that cost on the consumer in order to protect our shareholders’ best interest,” he said in a recent conference call.
    Schnatter estimates that the legislation will cost Papa John’s about 11 cents to 14 cents per pizza, which equates to 15 cents to 20 cents per order. An average delivery charge runs $1.75 to $2.50.
    “We're not supportive of Obamacare like most businesses in our industry but our business model and unit economics are about as ideal as you can get for a food company to absorb Obamacare,” Schnatter said. “Ergo, we have a high ticket average with extremely high frequency of order counts, millions of pizzas per year.”
    On Twitter, reactions were mostly negative.
    "*switches to Pizza Hut*," wrote one user. "*calls Dominoes*," wrote another.
    "I really wish businesses would stay out of politics," tweeted user mikedavis824.
    Papa John’s has nearly 4,000 restaurants in its system operating in every state and in 33 countries. Net income for the second quarter, which ended June 24, rose 22.3% to $14.8 million, or 61 cents a share, from $12.1 million, or 47 cents a share a year earlier. Same-store sales soared 5.7% in North America.
    PHOTOS: Fast food gets outrageous
    The National Restaurant Assn. has criticized the healthcare legislation for having a chilling effect on expansion and hiring in the industry, which tends to be labor-intensive and burdened with thin margins.
    Chains such as White Castle and Burger King have predicted surging costs due to the new regulations, which require businesses with 50 or more full-time employees to offer healthcare to such workers and their dependents.
    Unsurprisingly, Papa John’s chief is a big fan of Mitt Romney. Schnatter recently even hosted a private fundraiser for the Republican presidential candidate at his mansion in Anchorage, Ky.
    Romney was dazzled by the grounds, declaring to guests:
    “Who would’ve imagined pizza could build this. This is really something. Don’t you love this country? What a home this is, what grounds these are, the pool, the golf course…. This is a real tribute to America, to entrepreneurship."

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

yep, a whole 14 cents

Gotta give it to the media to really find the hard stories

Terrapin Station
    Terrapin Station's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

exactly what i was thinking brock...

BiffTFinancial
    BiffTFinancial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5368

John Schnatter is a cancer merchant. I'm spending my extra 14 cents on Chewlies (R) gum.

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

He is practically doing an ad for Obamacare. Fourteen cents?

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Waahhh!!! Big friggin deal. You live with your mom you tub of goo. Get a paper route to make up the difference.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

fok that shit

last foking straw

MOVE TO IMPEACH!!!!

Hotdiggity11
    Hotdiggity11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

So, I pay about $.15 more for a pizza to know some Papa Johns deliveryman won't get injured, go to the hospital, get charged 6-digits for the services, not be able to pay it, and then cause me to pay significantly more in medical costs in the future to compensate for his lack of insurance?

I'll take it.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 4 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: SteelRain, Terrapin Station, xstud, and MatI

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7787

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTFinancial View Post
    John Schnatter is a cancer merchant. I'm spending my extra 14 cents on Chewlies (R) gum.
    you get an a+ for your reference. no one's gonna give you credit, but i will. i've been spending all day trying to find the perfect egg and this is the best thing i've seen all day...a chewlies gum reference.

by the way, papa johns should realize they can make better pizzas for less money easily. the highest food cost markup in the food industry is pizza. i don't know this for a fact, but i challenge anyone to find a food/dish/etc that has a higher markup than pizza.

so i say go fukk yourself in the ass with the handle of a pizza slicer when i hear some fast food pizza empressario talk about passing along costs to the customer for any reason. fukk you papa john, you fukking lowlife gazillionaire.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: paranoyd androyd

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdiggity11 View Post
    So, I pay about $.15 more for a pizza to know some Papa Johns deliveryman won't get injured, go to the hospital, get charged 6-digits for the services, not be able to pay it, and then cause me to pay significantly more in medical costs in the future to compensate for his lack of insurance?

I'll take it.
    i don't think they have insurance for anyone other than managers, maybe some other full time employees if there even are any, but most of their employees are part time and aren't offered insurance. it's a fukking ruse. fukk papa john. wah, we don't like obama, look what he's making us do, now everyone who orders from us will have to pay! it's bullshit.

texhooper

i delivered pizzas for them for like 2 months 7 or 8 years ago and i don't remember any healthcare benefits being discussed. brock might have a better answer there though.

Terrapin Station

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    you get an a+ for your reference. no one's gonna give you credit, but i will. i've been spending all day trying to find the perfect egg and this is the best thing i've seen all day...a chewlies gum reference.

by the way, papa johns should realize they can make better pizzas for less money easily. the highest food cost markup in the food industry is pizza. i don't know this for a fact, but i challenge anyone to find a food/dish/etc that has a higher markup than pizza.

so i say go fukk yourself in the ass with the handle of a pizza slicer when i hear some fast food pizza empressario talk about passing along costs to the customer for any reason. fukk you papa john, you fukking lowlife gazillionaire.
    pasta has a higher markup.

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

. the highest food cost markup in the food industry is pizza. i don't know this for a fact, but i challenge anyone to find a food/dish/etc that has a higher markup than pizza.
    Water Ice(Italian ice )

Inspirited
    Inspirited's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17840

prices probably will go up on everything you buy

that adds up

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin Station View Post
    pasta has a higher markup.
    ok, as far as fast food goes...i will amend my statement. we're still high up on the chain here when to comes to pizza. and they sell thousands and thousands of pizzas all the damn time. in one store, the goal is like 25 grand on a saturday night. think about the fact that papa johns is all over the world. plus they aren't insuring everyone by a longshot that works for them. etc etc fukk papa johns.

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by minet123 View Post
    Water Ice(Italian ice )
    fair enough, but water ice isn't sold at near the rate pizza is. plus i was talking about like, meal foods, but i get what you're saying.

Terrapin Station

ok, as far as fast food goes...i will amend my statement. we're still high up on the chain here when to comes to pizza. and they sell thousands and thousands of pizzas all the damn time. in one store, the goal is like 25 grand on a saturday night. think about the fact that papa johns is all over the world. plus they aren't insuring everyone by a longshot that works for them. etc etc fukk papa johns.
    far enough, just replying to your original statement. pasta and soda have massive markups. completely agree with you on pizza markup though, it's a hard fact.

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin Station View Post
    far enough, just replying to your original statement. pasta and soda have massive markups. completely agree with you on pizza markup though, it's a hard fact.
    right, soda is insane, drinks in general really. and that is one area that a pizza delivery place misses out on.

the point really is that they're only insuring a small percentage of their workers and they are in an industry that makes massive amounts of money in pure profit on a worldwide level.

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

fair enough, but water ice isn't sold at near the rate pizza is. plus i was talking about like, meal foods, but i get what you're saying.
    but you can't find water ice out side of the mid Atlantic(except for some variations-shaved ice etc)
    I was just answering your question
    as to your point
    Pizza is pure profit
    water
    yeast
    flour
    cheese
    tomatoes
    that 8 slices for what a roughly a dollar in cost at the restaurant level

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by Inspirited View Post
    prices probably will go up on everything you buy

that adds up
    i don't know as much about obamacare as i should. and this may be true. but for some employer who hires almost entirely part time and "paid by tips" employees to publicly complain about it and state prices will go up is just wrong. i think it has more to do with his political views than anything else.

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by minet123 View Post
    but you can't find water ice out side of the mid Atlantic(except for some variations-shaved ice etc)
    I was just answering your question

as to your point
    Pizza is pure profit water yeast flourcheese tomatoes
    that 8 slices for what a roughly a dollar in cost at the restaurant level
    right, and you had a good answer. but if a local water ice stand had 4 full time employees and paid them benefits, i would listen to him if he had no choice but to up his prices because healthcare was just going to kill him otherwise. i'm not listening to asshole papa john.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

my 20x winner gets salooned and this doesn't....

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

TT, it is literally hard to try and correlate food and politics, but if anyone could do it - it would be you.

Any other breaking news regarding fast food?

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sounds like a fantastic way to hike delivery prices and shift the blame.

LarrysKid
    LarrysKid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1479

The real issue here is that Papa John's has somehow convinced people to give them money for their product.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

america just gets worse and worse. there's a whole world out there and yall are talking about this

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Am I reading this right, the insurance law will cost Papa Johns $.11 to $.14 cents per pizza and they're going to raise their prices $.15-$.20 cents...They'll recieve an extra $.4-$.6 cents profit per pizza?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChalkyDog

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

Don't really care as I don't like Papa John's pizza anyway. They could lower their prices and I still wouldn't want it.

freeagent
    freeagent's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6355

Quote Originally Posted by LarrysKid View Post
    The real issue here is that Papa John's has somehow convinced people to give them money for their product.
    Stuff is dreadful, even tried to get the chicken fingers once and it was worse than the pizza. Colbert Report had a hilarious segment on this issue last night.

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1321

Another fuk'in millionaire bitch'in because he's gett'in a tax incentive to cover health care for his employees and whining about having to raise the cost of pizza 14 cents! Just like some whiny little Romney loving asshole to complain about giving something back to the country that made his ass a success. Fuk him and his shitty pizza!

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15296

Quote Originally Posted by mikejamm View Post
    Another fuk'in millionaire bitch'in because he's gett'in a tax incentive to cover health care for his employees and whining about having to raise the cost of pizza 14 cents! Just like some whiny little Romney loving asshole to complain about giving something back to the country that made his ass a success. Fuk him and his shitty pizza!
    Clown lives in a 40 room mansion with a huge pool and a staff that caters to his every whim. Looks like a total prick crying that he won't make as much money. Fuk him and his shitty pizza's.

The Inevitable
    The Inevitable's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3256

Quote Originally Posted by LarrysKid View Post
    I know, right. Their pizza taste like trash and their crust is even worst. I swear they make their crust out of tree bark. It's tough to chew and sharp as hell. I do not understand why people like Papa John's pizza. Frozen pizza from the grocery store, like Digiorno's, taste better and is cheaper than that cardboard-with-cheese they call pizza.

Fang-Banger
    Fang-Banger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 186

I used to be a huuuuuge dominos guy but ever since they changed their pizza to try and be more Italian authentic it sucked! I switched to papa john's. I just grew to love their pizza I guess. But I miss the old dominos ingredients

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dumb ass liberals

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15296

Quote Originally Posted by nosniboR11 View Post
    Dumb ass liberals
    how did the election work out for mccain and palin? them two about as dumb as they come.

12 Last