dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Insect bite turns into emergency room visit

Got an insect bite in bed the other night on the very tip of my ear and I ignored it. Thought okay spider or mosquito no big deal. Next day I get up and it is bothering more than usual so I rinse it off with hot soapy water and ignore it again. Hour or two later my ear is bright red and a puss sack is starting to form. I look it up on the net and follow the instructions which say diluted hydrogen peroxide and over the counter allergy meds. Couple hours later it is thumping like a bastard so call my doc and ask what to do. He says come on in. Doc tells me it is infected and it was not a spider nor a mosquito and he has no clue. Gives me a sulfa drug and I go home. Take the meds and go to bed

Next night I feel what seems like another bite on the palm of my hand, I think WTF. I look at it and immediately it turns bright red. Now the night before I changed bed clothes and vacuumed so I do that again and go back to bed. Wake up and that bright red spot on my hand is turning purple, I think this is not another bite and at the same time my neck is swelling and breathing is becoming difficult. It dawns on me that this is not a bite but an allergic reaction to the sulfa drug. I better get to the emergency room. Sure enough I had a reaction to the sulfa drug. Now the fvcking fun starts.

Doc prescribes a series of steroids--prednisone 40 mgs twice a day for 5 days. My sis takes steroids so I know how problematic they can be. So after the first day I start feeling really good, no more body pains which I experience all the time, breathing easy and just feeling good. However, the hallucinations start the next night and I think I am talking to somebody in my bed, it is really fvckin strange. I then start getting a feeling of being disconnected, a strange feeling to be sure. I am now off the steroids for a few days and still not feeling 100% myself but I am improving.

Funny how an insect bite can become serious. I am wondering if a very small amount of prednisone can be taken just to feel better. Maybe 5 mgs a day, I will talk to my doc but I know he will hit the roof.
    Last edited by dante1; 07-21-12 at 08:46 PM.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

thought I placed this in Saloon--sorry

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

oh wow that sucks....

never had any prednisone....

hopefully you get back to normal soon

don't let the bed bugs bite in the mean time

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

You ever find out WTF bit you?

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    You ever find out WTF bit you?
    No, I searched my room up and down. Sprayed it too and that is something I don't like to do. Doc said it definitely was not a spider because he could not find the hole and it for sure was not a mosquito. Don't have a clue.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    No, I searched my room up and down. Sprayed it too and that is something I don't like to do. Doc said it definitely was not a spider because he could not find the hole and it for sure was not a mosquito. Don't have a clue.
    Damn. I hope you get better, and the critter is gone.

I got stung by a scorpion and didn't have that much trouble. Just half my foot got numb for about 4 hours and it went away.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Hmmm, hope you get better man.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Damn. I hope you get better, and the critter is gone.

I got stung by a scorpion and didn't have that much trouble. Just half my foot got numb for about 4 hours and it went away.

Thanks, you take little things like that for no big deal. But on occasion something small like that can turn serious. People die from allergic reactions every day.

Scorpion, they look like nasty fvckers. Don't think we have too many of them in PA. Not sure though, with changing climate they might be here. lol

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

did you take any pics of your ear? gl

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Check that we have some scorpions here.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post
    did you take any pics of your ear? gl
    Never thought of doing that, pus sack on the very top about one inch in length.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by robmpink View Post
    Hmmm, hope you get better man.
    Thanks rob and guys, just thought some of you might be interested in the allergic reaction to the sulfa drug. I think many people have problems with sulfa drugs.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Dante, I shoot my ass with steroids everyday..

Never had an hallucination... You lucky SOB.

I hope you get better

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Thanks, you take little things like that for no big deal. But on occasion something small like that can turn serious. People die from allergic reactions every day.

Scorpion, they look like nasty fvckers. Don't think we have too many of them in PA. Not sure though, with changing climate they might be here. lol
    Yeah, I'm sure if I was allergic to them, I would of had more serious problems. I have read the type (Arizona Bark Scorpion) that stung me is known to seriously hurt older people, and younger/small kids. Those who have a weak immune system.

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

I got bitten by a copperhead once tubing in the mountains. I know it isn't exactly the same as a possible bug bite, but it is definitely scary to have to go through stuff like that.

Good luck.

Thurgood
    Thurgood's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 274

Get better, man.. I took Prednisone once or twice for tonsillitis. I had to wean on and off. Roommates said I was extremely irritable.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Hope you heal up soon and don't have to deal with it anymore. Prednisone is a bitch, turns a sane man crazy.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Op that's shitty man

Where do you live?

The one beauty of living on the coast and dealing with storms and shit is that mostly funky shit doesn't live around us

showtiime
    Update your status
    showtiime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5853

a one inch pus sack

not for the squeamish

gl

physed
    physed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 391

Hope it's not a mosquito bite. Down here in Dallas some have died from West Nile Virus mosquitos. That's why I stay inside all of the time

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bed Bug Bite Symptoms

Bed Bug Bite Symptoms

Bed Bug Bite Symptoms: Correctly Identifying The Mark They Leave Behind
    There are certain characteristic’s to look for when identifying the welts left by a bedbug. Since 2010, there have been a rise in bed bug infestation throughout the United States. Where to begin:
    Itchiness: Your skin may feel itchy during and after the bedbug bites your skin.
    Reaction: Skin which has been bitten will respond differently from person to person.
    Misdiagnosis: When it is time to see your doctor?

At first, you may only see one or two bed bug bites appear on your skin, and you may think that you were bitten by a mosquito or another insect. Though, over time if more start showing up, it may be time to find the source of these red bite marks. The same bed bugs will not bite you every night, there is usually a lag time upwards of 9 days. So, it could be you have more than one bedbug in your home, a possible infestation.
    You should keep a close eye on any bite mark(s) you’ve found, especially if multiple bite marks start appearing in different areas of your body. If you find three bite marks in a row (1-2-3), than it’s a good bit that you are being bitten by bed bugs! They are notoriously known for this type of bite formation. These three bite marks are commonly known as “Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.”

When analyzing the location of these bed bug bite symptoms they will vary from person to person. Some may have a delayed reaction, where these red welts will not appear for as much as 14 days after being bitten. The bedbug will generally, leave their bite anywhere they find access to your skin! The more skin you can cover the better, which will prevent you from being bitten.
    Bed Bug Bite Symptoms

• Itchiness:

Bed bugs are nocturnal parasites and will only bite you during the early morning hours, while you are sleeping in your bed. Some will feel the pain of the sharp puncture made to the skin and this will awake them, while others will not feel anything at all, and sleep right through the night, only to arise the next morning with bite marks on their skin.
    While lying in bed at night you may find yourself itching and scratching your skin and not putting two and two together, until it’s too late! You may feel that all this itching may be dirty bedding and it’s time to change the sheets, or that the soap you’re using to bath with is drying out your skin. But don’t stop there in the search for the source of your itching. You may be surprised to find a bed bug infestation in your home.
    Keep in mind anything newly brought into your home, such as furniture could be the cause. STOP and think for a moment, did you bring in a cardboard box from your garage or from your storage unit? Did you buy a second hand piece of furniture recently; inspect it closely, especially if it’s made from a wood or wood fiber?
    Remember, once bed bug bite symptoms start appearing, you need to take action right away, don’t put off another minute! Losing sleep will only catch up with your body and will continuely to keep you off guard, while the bedbug infestation takes hold.

• Reaction:

Professionals in the medical field have determined even though bedbugs carry germs, they are not capable of spreading these germs to humans. For this, they are not considered dangerous insects.
    Though, some may have an allergic reaction to their bites, which could be considered life-threatening, treatment of such would be on a case-by-case basis. If you are diagnosed with “Anaphylaxis”, then you would require immediate emergency attention. This is a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction to insect venom, and would require a doctors attention.
    Bed Bug Bite Symptoms
    Other symptoms which may arise are hives, nasal congestion, redness of the skin, feeling dizzy, light-headed, faintness, breathing abnormally, diarrhea, and pain within the stomach. These reactions are only a few of the symptoms that may appear. Again, within only very serious allergic reactions would you experience these symptoms?
    Pertaining to skin reaction, welts as large as 8 inches across may appear on the skin. Blisters can become inflamed, and with a certain small group of people the bite mark may produce a swollen sac of pus. It can be very tricky to diagnose, and for that reason will require a doctor’s attention.
    This is why it is crucial to observer the bed bug bite symptoms closely! Reaction time is always important to help with the proper diagnosis and treatment.

• Misdiagnosis:

Your doctor may tell you that the itching that you’re experiencing is from the infection of scabies, or another allergic reaction? With bed bugs bite symptoms, misdiagnose is very common, so if you are unsure, than you are advised to seek professional help!
    Having scabies can be a very similar reaction to the bed bug bites? Scabies are microscopic mites, which are caused by a highly contagious skin disease from that of an itch mite, which burrows its self deep into the skin, producing that intense itch you feel. This happens at night, generally about the same time as the bed bug bites, which can be misdiagnose.
    They are generally smaller than that of the bed bug and have eight legs, bed bugs have only 6-legs. Mites are only one-third of a millimeter in size, and to view them requires a magnifying glass or a microscope to actually see them with the human eye.
    If you are still not sure of the bed bug bite symptoms you are experiencing, than it may be time to seek a professional for a proper diagnosis of your situation.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    Op that's shitty man

Where do you live?

The one beauty of living on the coast and dealing with storms and shit is that mostly funky shit doesn't live around us

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Pauly P

I checked my bed for bed bugs, it was a concern because I spent a few days in AC and I thought geez I will need to burn my fvkin house down. No, it wasn't bed bugs thank god.

In the Drink

NE Pa.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Bed bugs don't do all that shit unless you have tons and tons of them. They're gross but they're not dangerous.

And lol centaur I mean bugs....not even Mosquitos around here til you get inland some

MC PICKS
    Update your status
    MC PICKS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

You must live in a real shithole if you're getting bitten by bugs in your sleep, clean your house you filthy fukking animal.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Quote Originally Posted by ** PICKS View Post
    You must live in a real shithole if you're getting bitten by bugs in your sleep, clean your house you filthy fukking animal.
    I'm pretty sure the guy doesn't live in a shit hole.

FrozenMAN
    2020 Big Ten CHAMPS!
    FrozenMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4112

those red dots might have been from that chick the moneyshot was trying to bang lolol

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

I am so fastidiously clean my ahole is probably cleaner than your face. Now look up that word because I know you aren't real sharp. Yesterday I taught you about Persians, today I taught you a new word. Keep following me and before you know it you will have a jr high education.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7236

Shit like that is why I avoid Atlantic City like the plague. Would rather go to Mt. Airy any day. They make it rain with the comps.

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!
    QuantumLeap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8218

Where can I get some of that Prednisone? Those hallucinations sound like a trip!

MC PICKS
    Update your status

I am so fastidiously clean my ahole is probably cleaner than your face. Now look up that word because I know you aren't real sharp. Yesterday I taught you about Persians, today I taught you a new word. Keep following me and before you know it you will have a jr high education.
    Yet you're the one whos got bugs biting you in your house even though you claim to be clean. You're just a fukking dumb hick form the sticks in NEPA, now go and rotate the tires on your house and get some disinfectant for christ sakes.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Yet you're the one whos got bugs biting you in your house even though you claim to be clean. You're just a fukking dumb hick form the sticks in NEPA, now go and rotate the tires on your house and get some disinfectant for christ sakes.
    The juke box I just placed in my avatar is worth more than you most likely earn in a month, if judging by the stupidity of your posts. Again stupid one, Persians are mostly caucasian. You're a moron and out of your league when competing with me. Best you stick your tail between you legs and hop on home.
    Last edited by dante1; 08-05-12 at 06:27 PM.

MC PICKS
    Update your status

The juke box I just placed in my avatar is worth more than you most likely earn in a month, if judging by the stupidity of your posts. Again stupid one, Persians are mostly caucasian. You're a moron and out of your league when competing with me. Best you stick you tail between you legs and hop on home.
    I earn more in a day than you make in a week tard, i been up to your neck of the woods, lotta hovels up there. No uneducated hick from NEPA could ever outwit someone of my intelligence, dream on jiggaboo.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

I earn more in a day than you make in a week tard, i been up to your neck of the woods, lotta hovels up there. No uneducated hick from NEPA could ever outwit someone of my intelligence, dream on jiggaboo.

Right on jack off. You brag all you want, you know you are an idiot. You are embarrassed because you got caught on the Iran thing and now you want to confuse the issue with "bug bites" and "high earning" and other bs. Your uneducated and pretty stupid and that rarely transforms itself into high earning. So unless your blowing everybody every ten minutes I doubt you have two nickels to rub together.

Talk is cheap--hand job.

MC PICKS
    Update your status

Right on jack off. You brag all you want, you know you are an idiot. You are embarrassed because you got caught on the Iran thing and now you want to confuse the issue with "bug bites" and "high earning" and other bs. Your uneducated and pretty stupid and that rarely transforms itself into high earning. So unless your blowing everybody every ten minutes I doubt you have two nickels to rub together.

Talk is cheap--hand job.
    Caught on the iran thing.

And it's YOU'RE uneducated not YOUR, pot kettle.

12 Last