robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Anyone Else Start A Garden This Year?

I did my first. It actually has brought me back to reality in a way.

Blondie
    Blondie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 73

Sure did! The high temps and lack of rain has really made it difficult to keep up with though...

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Yes, its a small indoor grow

I'd rather not discuss details though

Gdog
    Gdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

just chillis and weed plants

Joe Dogs
    Joe Dogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 593

To dry.... haven't seen rain in the northeast in weeks .

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

windowsill garden with basil and strawberries

fishmonger
    Very sharp square
    fishmonger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

asked my girlfriend to grow her bush out. Does that count?

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

Big gardener here.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10250

With the Pacific moisture I have a nice growth
    up at the place in Mendocino Co.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

in before JJ posts the video of his garden and naming plants after posters

robmpink
    Update your status

I did as a way to keep my mind preoccupied w/ other things then gambling. Also it is a good father young son activity. I had no plan and just went out and made this polish design, I'm polish btw. I planted 2 belle pepper plants 2 tomatto, 2 golden squash for my wife, 2 cumcumber, carrots, which have been the most difficult. I didn't know if they were weeds in the beginning and a pumpkin patch for halloween.

The crazy thing is corn. I planted a few then someone said they should be individual stalks. I dug up another area and have about 30 more stalks. I'm excited to see the daily progress and don't mind the maintenence as I get a workout.
    I must say this has brought an innocence back to me that I could compare to sending out baseball cards in the mail when I was younger and get the autograph back.

Maverick22
    Maverick22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 58

Me and my girlfriend started a small garden with a few vegetables, sunflowers, flowers, lavender, and a few spices. It is going pretty good.

cecil127
    Horses and Hockey Biatch!
    cecil127's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6871

i always thought you had to have "a lot" of corn for it to germinate. what "a lot" of corn is kind of cloudy.
    hope it works out for you but if im reading your post correctly it already has

robmpink
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by cecil127 View Post
    i always thought you had to have "a lot" of corn for it to germinate. what "a lot" of corn is kind of cloudy.
    hope it works out for you but if im reading your post correctly it already has
    We'll see how it goes. At the very least it gives us a cheap privacy fence for a month or so, lol.

DOMINATER
    DOMINATER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

Rob, I had a garden, great for the brain, good luck. I don't know what you fertilize your tomatoes with , I found chicken crap in a big bucket with water mixed,is the best. everytime you water your tomatoe plants use the chicken and rainwater combo ,and you will have the best tomatoes in the state good luck.

robmpink
    Update your status

Do, I appreciate the tips. Just keep on hanging in there.

cecil127

Quote Originally Posted by DOMINATER View Post
    Rob, I had a garden, great for the brain, good luck. I don't know what you fertilize your tomatoes with , I found chicken crap in a big bucket with water mixed,is the best. everytime you water your tomatoe plants use the chicken and rainwater combo ,and you will have the best tomatoes in the state good luck.
    i must interject: "cow pee" is how it was described to me by my friends grandfather i was sinking my teeth into a nice juicy tomato at his farm 30 or so years ago....after that i learned to time my questions a lil better. ie: hey, what makes these tomatos so tasty? whats kind of meat is this in the chili? Is this really steak? so whats in this chit called 'scraple' anyway? etc...

robmpink
    Update your status

I'm working w/ my 5 year old son here.It is Noah's garden. He distributed so golden squash to in laws and the nieighboors. Grenn peppers were fanatastic, now a cuc will be readdy to eat.

Call me a nerd, a jerk, an internet fool, but really this has given me abd my family something to do.

cecil127

i have a half acre here and 6 in upstate ny and have absolutely nothing growing. i grew chit when i was growing up and you become a slave to the thing. much like trapping...but if you enjoy it and the family pitches in-all the better sounds like you got it figured out to me, fool

robmpink
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by cecil127 View Post
    i have a half acre here and 6 in upstate ny and have absolutely nothing growing. i grew chit when i was growing up and you become a slave to the thing. much like trapping...but if you enjoy it and the family pitches in-all the better sounds like you got it figured out to me, fool

I don't think I figured it out. Just something for my 5 year old to follow. and me.

robmpink
    Update your status

Cec, ya heading down Mohegan PD anytime soon?

cecil127

about poco: the filly im in on was shipped to saratoga to race til her sires stakes begin in ky in sept so i dunno when ill be up there again. i was up to watch her race at poco once this year and lets just say thank goodness for kelly connors(cute trackside announcer) being hot or the night wouldve been a total loss....i gotta get some crabs cooked up cec style so we can tailgate before taking down a few (small) pools

DOMINATER
    DOMINATER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

Rob, I raised to outstanding kids, who are very sucessful, as most know I grew upin the fiftys surronded by the old school mobsters, my father and,mother both worked full time jobs . I lived playing baseball. I did o.k. I raised my sons they were with me playing all kinds of sports . I took their friends with me . You hit on the key , keep them very busy doing the things they love ,and stay around them , having your son in the garden is brilliant . Take him to the veg. farms near you . both you and him will learn together gives you great bonding. As he gets older you can expand with him, my son is a back surgeon ,and my youngest one is a sports medicine Doctor. I believe our genetics were good ,but not great, what made my boys special was the bonding and the interest I took in them from the ages 4 to 18. Good luck with your garden, and of course your son.I believe its worth the work.

KJ CottonChopper
    KJ CottonChopper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 232

Amen Dominater!!! In my 40's now, but wouldn't take anything for those days growing up around the farm and garden with my parents and grandparents. Truly impacted my life and how I'm raising my family today. Best of luck to all!

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

robmpink
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by DOMINATER View Post
    Rob, I raised to outstanding kids, who are very sucessful, as most know I grew upin the fiftys surronded by the old school mobsters, my father and,mother both worked full time jobs . I lived playing baseball. I did o.k. I raised my sons they were with me playing all kinds of sports . I took their friends with me . You hit on the key , keep them very busy doing the things they love ,and stay around them , having your son in the garden is brilliant . Take him to the veg. farms near you . both you and him will learn together gives you great bonding. As he gets older you can expand with him, my son is a back surgeon ,and my youngest one is a sports medicine Doctor. I believe our genetics were good ,but not great, what made my boys special was the bonding and the interest I took in them from the ages 4 to 18. Good luck with your garden, and of course your son.I believe its worth the work.

Thanks Dom! Glad I see you still around and hope you are hanging in there. I'm glad your kids turned out successful! You hit the nail on the head about spending time w/ them.

robmpink
    Update your status

I'm not a big veggie fan, but things I pick are very tasty. Geez, I could probably pick dog dump in there and think it is tasty because we grew it.

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1470

wish i could grow some dank pot

cecil127

Quote Originally Posted by TheMetsSuck View Post
    wish i could grow some dank pot
    sounds like that chits got you by the balls already. ever try "doing" rather than "wishing"?
    i cringe for the next generation....

TxAaron
    TxAaron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

Just got my vegetable garden going. I usually have jalapenos year round. Also doing tomato, bell pepper, okra, and cucumber.

I also have an awesome lemon tree that is producing enough lemons to where I haven't bought one from the store in a year lol.

Just started working on getting and avocado tree going from just a seed. It's been sitting half emerged in water with toothpicks holding it up like a ******* science experiment... not much happening. But, we'll see.