seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Help needed!!! do you know any Bipolar people and how do you get them help

No one seems to want to diagnose bipolar people until they have killed someone, how do you help them before it gets to that point? Of course no one bipolar knows that they are bipolar. Help.

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

they're very interesting and frustrating people at the same time, fell in love with a bipolar chick.

what's your story/experience with one? are they peaking currently? gl

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

people get diagnosed without killing someone all the time

cant really force them to get help...have to convince them that the lows dont have to be so low

scariest shit is that its not that long ago when one of the side effects of meds for it is that it makes the user suicidal...i think its gotten better now though

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post
    they're very interesting and frustrating people at the same time, fell in love with a bipolar chick.

Very close experience with one. Just trying to go about the right way to get them help.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Did the bipolar cause problems in the relationship? How hard was it for you to deal with?

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

sometimes i think my gf is....

her uncle is diagnosed i think...and her mom and grandmother are absolute lunatics.....not like real lunatics....like they dont even drink or smoke....not problem/drama causing lunatics...but like talk/sing to animals lunatics

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by bobby heenan View Post
    sometimes i think my gf is....

her uncle is diagnosed i think...and her mom and grandmother are absolute lunatics.....not like real lunatics....like they dont even drink or smoke....not problem/drama causing lunatics...but like talk/sing to animals lunatics
    That sounds normal these days. You should be ok.

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    That sounds normal these days. You should be ok.
    her grandmother tells the same effing stories like once a month ...or every other month...and every month the story gets changed and people are added/subtracted and it gets more embellished....and shes not old enough to be "out of it"......her father and grandfather need to be given some kind of lifetime achievement award.......forreal.....like these guys just keep their mouths shut and dont believe in divorce...they believe they made their commitment and thats that.....and they are like some pussies either....these are some rugged dudes.....but they take things that would make most men blow their gaskets

paranoyd androyd

Did the bipolar cause problems in the relationship? How hard was it for you to deal with?
    sure it caused problems and still does (still in contact with her occasionally), but you kinda accept it eventually or decide to disassociate with them completely no middle ground really.

is this a gf/love interest of yours? if so, does she have any other mental issues - body dysmorphic, anorexic, extremely sexual (including w/random strangers), etc?

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Friend, pm me anytime. I'm an expert with bi-polarism. My girlfriend has "Bi-polar 2". It's crazy. She has a 9 year old son and is a good hearted person. Along with the good comes the rage, insecurity, and anger. It pushes you to your limit and wonder whether this person is worth it. You need to be unbreakable mentally as they will make public scenes to the point where they're out of their mind and the police can come or just putting themselves in jeopardy. There's times where you're going to hate them viciously.

The key to remember is that they can't help themselves. You need to have compassion if the person is worth it. They usually go into their rage (it's like a hangover) and ultimately they come back down and start crying. It's the toughest thing that I've ever had to deal with and I've had both parents die at an early age, almost starved from dysphagia (swallowing problem), 3 surgeries within the last year.

Bottom line is you need to be strong. If you simply don't care then you know what to do but if this world was saturated with people who were selfish, it wouldn't be functional.Treat the other person the way that you want to be treated and have thick skin. Medication usually doesn't help and can sometimes make it worse. My name is will2survive for a reason. Nothing will phase me. Not even a raging woman calling me every name in the book and proclaiming to love me.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

sure it caused problems and still does (still in contact with her occasionally), but you kinda accept it eventually or decide to disassociate with them completely no middle ground really.

is this a gf/love interest of yours? if so, does she have any other mental issues - body dysmorphic, anorexic, extremely sexual (including w/random strangers), etc?
    bipolar is enough, couldn't take any other mental issues. A very close relationship and you are right, but I think I accepted it and no longer want to, maybe looking to disassociate.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

its actually Over/mis-diagnosed this day and age. and don't get me started on those the self-diagnose.

its a hard one, because the co-morbidity with other "issues" rate is high along with the substance abuse co-morbidity.

first serious question would be..... is it rapid cycling? or long term? is the depressive states significantly longer than the manic stages?

those with SEVERE. "can't get out of bed" suicidal ideation stages are the ones that are most likely to seek help.

Don't try to talk a manic stage person into anything

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by will2survive View Post
    Friend, pm me anytime. I'm an expert with bi-polarism. My girlfriend has "Bi-polar 2". It's crazy. She has a 9 year old son and is a good hearted person. Along with the good comes the rage, insecurity, and anger. It pushes you to your limit and wonder whether this person is worth it. You need to be unbreakable mentally as they will make public scenes to the point where they're out of their mind and the police can come or just putting themselves in jeopardy. There's times where you're going to hate them viciously.

The key to remember is that they can't help themselves. You need to have compassion if the person is worth it. They usually go into their rage (it's like a hangover) and ultimately they come back down and start crying. It's the toughest thing that I've ever had to deal with and I've had both parents die at an early age, almost starved from dysphagia (swallowing problem), 3 surgeries within the last year.

Bottom line is you need to be strong. If you simply don't care then you know what to do but if this world was saturated with people who were selfish, it wouldn't be functional.Treat the other person the way that you want to be treated and have thick skin. Medication usually doesn't help and can sometimes make it worse. My name is will2survive for a reason. Nothing will phase me. Not even a raging woman calling me every name in the book and proclaiming to love me.
    that is pretty deep. And yes it is pushing me to my limits. I have told a few of her friends to see if anybody cares enough to help me help her, but this shit makes you hate them more than you love them.

paranoyd androyd

pretty much sums it up, gl to you

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

I'm bipolar and suffer from Mania. Being diagnosed is fairly simple, any good psychologist can tell you within 3 minutes of a conversation. Biggest obstacle is the right medication. I was on Depakote for 6 months and people said it did a lot for me. I was given something else and I can't remember the name but 2 minutes after taking it I couldn't stand and was falling all over myself

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is only my .02 worth, so take it for what it's worth. This is based on my experience working at a hospital years ago, and 2 friends who were in relationships (actually one still is) with a bi-polar person (later in life, not people at the hospital)

If you're starting in a relationship with a person who is legit bi-polar (diagnosed - not just assumed), run, don't walk. The swings are unnerving. The feeling of worry, of never feeling 100% safe, or concern over medication, of whether the person will just go missing or commit suicide.

These are my opinions not based on hundreds of cases, just the ones I've known in the real world.

If it's a family member, tough love with them staying on their meds and stay hopeful advances in the treatment will inch closer to understanding it. That's a long way off, since there isn't even a full consensus as to what's happening in the brain (there's a part of the brain that sends like 30% more signals than a non bi-polar brain). Most believe it's genetic since studies of twins indicate that if one identical twin has bi polar, there's an 80% chance the other twin will have it (versus like 15% in fraternals)

#1 rule if you're with someone - religiously make sure they take their meds. (lithium most likely in the mix). It dramatically drops the suicidal thoughts and regulates the mood swings for many.

Good luck with however this plays out for you.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Koldazzice

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!

pretty much sums it up, gl to you

thank you--

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by muldoon View Post
    This is only my .02 worth, so take it for what it's worth. This is based on my experience working at a hospital years ago, and 2 friends who were in relationships (actually one still is) with a bi-polar person (later in life, not people at the hospital)

If you're starting in a relationship with a person who is legit bi-polar (diagnosed - not just assumed), run, don't walk. The swings are unnerving. The feeling of worry, of never feeling 100% safe, or concern over medication, of whether the person will just go missing or commit suicide.

These are my opinions not based on hundreds of cases, just the ones I've known in the real world.

If it's a family member, tough love with them staying on their meds and stay hopeful advances in the treatment will inch closer to understanding it. That's a long way off, since there isn't even a full consensus as to what's happening in the brain (there's a part of the brain that sends like 30% more signals than a non bi-polar brain). Most believe it's genetic since studies of twins indicate that if one identical twin has bi polar, there's an 80% chance the other twin will have it (versus like 15% in fraternals)

I didn't run quick enough. Now I can't run fast enough.

bobby heenan
    Update your status

damn man....imma pray for you bro

my girl can be angry and insecure at times...but only in private...no public scenes or anything like that.....sometimes i wonder if she is...but i dont think she really is

i had a good friend in high school who was a year younger than me...real popular kid...we used to hang all the time...then he started ******* with ecstasy and that shit ****** with his head big time.....he turned bipolar and i dunno...if it put a hole in his head...or ****** with his serotonin....but he just turned absolute crazy.......wed pool some money together to go in on some weed deals and hed turn around and blow it all....or take the money to pay back some ecstasy dealer he owed a ton of money too....people we knew in high school id run into theyd be like "what the **** happened to him bro".....its like you werent ever talking to the same guy....he told us they put him on some medication and all it did was make him want to sleep....and he wouldnt ever really take it....one time his brother called me randomly cause his parents couldnt find him.....dude was just parked in the driveway of a local summer residence near our beach....with like 1lb of weed in his trunk ...just sitting there in the car by himself

muldoon

I didn't run quick enough. Now I can't run fast enough.
    Seen it first hand man - best of luck.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!

#1 rule if you're with someone - religiously make sure they take their meds. (lithium most likely in the mix). It dramatically drops the suicidal thoughts and regulates the mood swings for many.

Your intentions are great but unless you're in a relationship with a Bi-polar 2 person, you just don't know. have you ever had to close your windows in fear that the neighborhood would hear your girlfriend (while protecting her kid), in fear of her disturbing the public and getting a police visit?

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by greenhippo View Post
    I'm bipolar and suffer from Mania. Being diagnosed is fairly simple, any good psychologist can tell you within 3 minutes of a conversation. Biggest obstacle is the right medication. I was on Depakote for 6 months and people said it did a lot for me. I was given something else and I can't remember the name but 2 minutes after taking it I couldn't stand and was falling all over myself
    That is the scary part. She is already in counseling but of course with doctor/client relationship, I don't know if she has been diagnosed. Maybe she is seeing a bipolar psychologist who doesn't know how to dianose what she has. That is the sad part. I don't see any difference in her behavior from when she started years ago. She could have a crooked psychologist who just likes to talk and look at her.
    Last edited by seaborneq; 07-01-12 at 09:53 PM.

muldoon

Your intentions are great but unless you're in a relationship with a Bi-polar 2 person, you just don't know. have you ever had to close your windows in fear that the neighborhood would hear your girlfriend (while protecting her kid), in fear of her disturbing the public and getting a police visit?
    I haven't personally, but your story makes me feel like I'm talking to my friend who finally left a relationship with exactly what you're saying.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!

that is pretty deep. And yes it is pushing me to my limits. I have told a few of her friends to see if anybody cares enough to help me help her, but this shit makes you hate them more than you love them.

It put's your love for them to the test.-

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

my ex old lady had severe depression issues and i hated her fukking guts...were married and divorced in less than a year after dating almost 4 years...my best advice is let this bitch be someone else's problem...there is a difference between loyalty/honor and surrendering your personal happiness/dreams...think about it- then get the fukk out of there...you still have a chance to be truly happy in your everyday life with or without a girl.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!

I haven't personally, but your story makes me feel like I'm talking to my friend who finally left a relationship with exactly what you're saying.

It's not in my nature to abandon a person who can't help themselves. It's about mental toughness

paranoyd androyd

what's the difference between 1 & 2? which is worse?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

hang in there Will2survive.... I recommend PM-ing Extrainnings, even though he is a sociopath he has knowledge and he'll share.

you are doing it right. Deal with the Person you love first, and try not to react to the symptoms when they attack you.

its impossible, but if you LOVE the person and know who they really are. Over the long term you'll make it together. Yeah you'll react like any other human when prodded sometimes. Its natural, but aim to be healthy and balanced so that you are in the "right" place in all facets of your being in order to absorb the "crazy" and in return respond with LOVE, understanding, patience as much as humanly possible. AS much as possible don't view your relationship in terms of the highs and lows... but in the place your heart tells you is "real"

try to respond to the person and not the symptoms...

God Speed
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: will2survive

paranoyd androyd

Quote Originally Posted by manny24 View Post
    my ex old lady had severe depression issues and i hated her fukking guts...were married and divorced in less than a year after dating almost 4 years...my best advice is let this bitch be someone else's problem...there is a difference between loyalty/honor and surrendering your personal happiness/dreams...think about it- then get the fukk out of there...you still have a chance to be truly happy in your everyday life with or without a girl.
    was your ex-wife only deeply depressed? or did she yell, rage, use violence, and generally just completely incapable of loving you back or even respecting you and others?

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

That is the scary part. She is already in counseling but of course with doctor/client relationship, I don't know if she has been diagnosed. Maybe she is seeing a bipolar psychologist who doesn't know how to dianose what she has. That is the sad part.
    I will say Muldoon is right about the mood swings as I'm sure you've been witness to yourself. I can't list the number of the smallest things that absolutely set me off. Dr/patient privilege won't keep her from telling you what she's been diagnosed with, it's more to protect her when she confides in him/her about things she can't openly admit. I told my Dr things that would have cost me everything I have. Mood swings though, my god can they wreck havoc.

muldoon

It's not in my nature to abandon a person who can't help themselves. It's about mental toughness
    That's your nature, and I commend you for it. I wasn't advising someone to abandon a wife, but from my experience, people who get into long term relationships lose a bit of their "life" with every major episode.

Maybe I'm just talk though. Until I'm the one making the decision, it's easy to be flip and say "run, don't walk" - not sure easy to actually do it.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

1 has full on Manic stages... think of the most hyper person you know naturally, and think of them on crack with 9 cups of coffee, with no sleep for 2 day. flight of ideas, rapid speech, grandiose plans and ideas...

2- doesn't go full Manic in between the Depressive stages... just "hypo-manic"

most successful artists and entrepreneurs are at least hypo-manic.... its functional hyperactivity

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by greenhippo View Post
    I will say Muldoon is right about the mood swings as I'm sure you've been witness to yourself. I can't list the number of the smallest things that absolutely set me off. Dr/patient privilege won't keep her from telling you what she's been diagnosed with, it's more to protect her when she confides in him/her about things she can't openly admit. I told my Dr things that would have cost me everything I have. Mood swings though, my god can they wreck havoc.
    I sent her doctor a pamphlate on bi polar and told her to get to the bottom of it before its too late. we will see how the doctor takes the threat.

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

was your ex-wife only deeply depressed? or did she yell, rage, violent, and generally just completely incapable of loving you back or even respecting you and others?
    red no...blue yes...i had no choice she moved to florida (to this day have still never heard from her since) and left me feeling pretty banged up for a while...found some of her friends and piled them up...made me feel bettter at the time blowing loads on their faces knowing they would be calling her later.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!

Chi-Archie explained it perfectly

123 Last