greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Happiness

So I was watching this story the other day about people being interviewed on their deathbed. They were asked questions about their lives. When asked what they regretted most, the overwhelming majority of them said they wish they had worked less and spent more time doing things they've always wanted but couldn't now due to lack of time and physical abilities.

It got me thinking, you only live once, if you're 50 now, you can't be a teenager again. If there were things you wish you had done then, it's gone, you will never get that time or opportunity again. It puts things in perspective when you think "damn, I should have asked that girl out in high school" or "I should have moved here, or taken this job over that job"

Wanted to know what the forum thinks or what suggestions they have so that at the end of it all, we're not all in the same boat wishing our lives were better and we spent more fun doing what we love instead of slaving away at a job or what have you. We should all be happy.

LostBankroll
    who is the bitch in my avy???
    LostBankroll's Avatar Become A Pro!

Im 22 just turned 22 so no I wont have to worry bout this till 50 years down the line when Im dieing so till then salud and go **** a slut in the ass

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19428

only thing i think i might regret is not moving to Vegas
    i love betting sides on sports
    hate the whole off-shore thing where I gotta worry about payouts

the whole asking that one girl out thing seems to haunt people that marry too young

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Quote Originally Posted by LostBankroll View Post
    ...... I wont have to worry bout this till 50 years down the line when Im dieing so till then salud and go **** a slut in the ass
    We gots ourselves a modern-day Aristotle here, boys.

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

I am really surprised these people said working was a drawback to their lives, most people who work and had a sense of purpose, also have a spouse and maybe children as well and are busy, seem to live longer. "Retirement" or a life without purpose seems the first sign of a shortened life, it is amazing to see how optimistic and more positive the elderly I meet seem and most of them came up in an era where everyone worked and had stronger social connections , they are almost always less depressed than younger people. Connection to other people, charity, something resembling a spiritual life, working out etc, and strong sense of how the time in the day is spent.

Life with a purpose, a job with some satisfaction and working in general that keeps you connected with other people and having some some daily goals, family or loved one and some decent friends that are not just e-friends , intellectual interests, charity, gardening, walking, working out of any type, eating right and any connection to the natural world all sem to be huge factors in a longer and happier life.

Less time on the computer is a must and is my biggest goal as well as just eating right and working out. Wasted time is the worst.

Blue zones where people live longer. Great book

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Zone

Last edited by gregm; 06-11-12 at 01:58 AM.

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

Im 22 right now and I already feel like I'm in that situation I work for every penny I make. Im not really sure how happy I truly am though I feel like there is something I'm not doing right. I'm just waiting for these pieces to fall in place and I hope very very soon
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: LostBankroll

greenhippo

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeOverUnder View Post
    Im 22 right now and I already feel like I'm in that situation I work for every penny I make. Im not really sure how happy I truly am though I feel like there is something I'm not doing right. I'm just waiting for these pieces to fall in place and I hope very very soon
    Only 26 myself, still lots of years to go, but even now I can think of a dozen things I should have done (some of them small things) but was too chicken shit to do it, or thought better to go another route. I'll never have those same opportunities again and knowing that just sucks. I also work for every dollar I make and do sports betting on a small scale just for fun, I don't want to wake up and be 40, stuck in a rut and wonder where the last 20 years went.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by greenhippo View Post
    Only 26 myself, still lots of years to go, but even now I can think of a dozen things I should have done (some of them small things) but was too chicken shit to do it, or thought better to go another route. I'll never have those same opportunities again and knowing that just sucks. I also work for every dollar I make and do sports betting on a small scale just for fun, I don't want to wake up and be 40, stuck in a rut and wonder where the last 20 years went.
    I was watching an interview with Graham Norton the other day (British talk show host in case he's not big in the US) and he was talking about how when he was in his early 20s he was living in a house with other random people, one of them a 40yo woman studying nursing. They were drinking one night and he kind of ripped into her about going back to school at 40 because she was "so old". She fired back at him that she would have at least 25yrs ahead of her working as a nurse... longer than he'd even been alive to that point. He said it really changed his mindset about how to think about the concept of time in relation to your life. Whether you start something when you're 20 or don't make the decision to do it until you're 40+ you still have a big chunk of your life to live doing what you want to do.

And I think the people who would typically be on their deathbeds now ie 70/80+ are from a generation where men were the sole income earners and weren't as engaged with their families. They came home, ate dinner, watched some tv and saw their kids on the weekends. Typically. Of course some fathers from the '50s and '60s fell outside that norm. And some of the women would regret not pursuing their careers or their dreams regardless of what they were. People of your generation are much more aware of the importance of being truly happy and not just fulfilling a role in the household. With that comes the worry obviously that you're the making the right choices now but I think that self-awareness goes a long way to making a difference in how you will feel lying there at your end.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: allin1

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1628

Quote Originally Posted by greenhippo View Post
    So I was watching this story the other day about people being interviewed on their deathbed. They were asked questions about their lives. When asked what they regretted most, the overwhelming majority of them said they wish they had worked less and spent more time doing things they've always wanted but couldn't now due to lack of time and physical abilities.

It got me thinking, you only live once, if you're 50 now, you can't be a teenager again. If there were things you wish you had done then, it's gone, you will never get that time or opportunity again. It puts things in perspective when you think "damn, I should have asked that girl out in high school" or "I should have moved here, or taken this job over that job"

Wanted to know what the forum thinks or what suggestions they have so that at the end of it all, we're not all in the same boat wishing our lives were better and we spent more fun doing what we love instead of slaving away at a job or what have you. We should all be happy.
    Many would question that statement.

cecil127
    Horses and Hockey Biatch!
    cecil127's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6871

You never hear "I wish I spent more time at work"
    Which reminds me: i'm way overdue for a fishing trip......

Lookingtostart
    Lookingtostart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4542

Everyone has regrets, I have many myself. I wish I got into sports betting at a much earlier age, working on +EV. Time is now.

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by cecil127 View Post
    You never hear "I wish I spent more time at work"
    Which reminds me: i'm way overdue for a fishing trip......

winner

baskets

my only regret is not being born in another time whereby I could've colonized Africa better. I would've whipped that fukking continent into shape and brought them true civilization

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

At the end of our life, we ask ourselves 3 simple questions:

1. Did I live?
    2. Did I love?
    3. Did I matter?

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

The whole premise is rather silly. If you ask people pleased with their lives for the most part, they by definition will not have an interesting answer to the question. Thus, you select for those who are unhappy and the reader of the article or study has no idea what % of people that truly was. As you are dying, of course you wish you "would have done" this or that, it is a way of mental escapism, particularly for people who never had faith in God and/or thought their life had real (spiritual) meaning.

Ironically, chili's point 3 brings up, on some level, what others think of you. Our society tends to tell us that what other people think doesn't matter but it's generally a delusion. Are people always right? No. That's why God is the most important other person. Still, if you live well and love your friends and even your enemies, you will be blameless and people with true insight will have seen your value.

acampbell2345
    acampbell2345's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 34

I have the privilege of volunteering at a hospice for almost 10 years now and I get to know a lot of families of terminal patients and the patients themselves. Without a doubt the majority of patients that express any regret are usually only regrets along the line of "wish I would've spent more time with family" or some variant of that. I never once heard a patient say they wish they would've made more money, bought bigger house, or had nicer cars. Towards the end of life your priorities defiantly shift for the most part.
    On a similar note, the happiest patients that we care for are the ones that have family and friends surrounding them in their last days. It makes me think that family Nd friends are truly much more important than any earthly treasures. On the contrary the truly heartbreaking ones are the patients who have no friends or family members visit them and they pass away in relative obscurity. just some food for thought
    Points Awarded:

gregm gave acampbell2345 25 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: shari91, and William Walters

cecil127
    Horses and Hockey Biatch!
    cecil127's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6871

Quote Originally Posted by baskets View Post
    winner
    i went today....and it was wonderful

baskets

Quote Originally Posted by acampbell2345 View Post
    I have the privilege of volunteering at a hospice for almost 10 years now and I get to know a lot of families of terminal patients and the patients themselves. Without a doubt the majority of patients that express any regret are usually only regrets along the line of "wish I would've spent more time with family" or some variant of that. I never once heard a patient say they wish they would've made more money, bought bigger house, or had nicer cars. Towards the end of life your priorities defiantly shift for the most part.
    On a similar note, the happiest patients that we care for are the ones that have family and friends surrounding them in their last days. It makes me think that family Nd friends are truly much more important than any earthly treasures. On the contrary the truly heartbreaking ones are the patients who have no friends or family members visit them and they pass away in relative obscurity. just some food for thought
    good post. and hey, btw, you ever steal some cash from the wallets of the patients that don't have any relatives stop by?

seems like free money

just kidding. I heard this is what billysink likes to do

gregm

Hot stone massage. Just had my first one. Incredible.

gregm

Vietnamese subs with good , fresh french bread for lunch. Pho Shizzle!

Last edited by gregm; 06-14-12 at 01:47 PM.

colts
    colts's Avatar Become A Pro!

where did you get that sandwich?

gregm

Colts , try a Vietnamese restaurant and go for the subs but make sure they have good bread, alot of the shops use a viet style baguette or just a really good french baguette. Banh mi are what the sandwiches are called.

You can make them but you need a good ethnic grocery store and a good bakery for fresh bread, baguettes in grocery stores wont cut it. Its way too hard to make for me, the viet places always are wotth the extra cost.

They usually have lightly pickled carrots, lightly pickled diacone, crispy cucumber, shredded green leaf onion, shredded jalapeno ( I usually pass on this), shredded green hot pepper, cilantro and usually a homemade type of mayonnaise.

You usually get a topping like shredded pork, shredded chicken, this is one dish where you can get tofu ( grilled or fried) and you want notice one bit of difference. All the other ingredients are so strong the topping is just an afterthought. Good bread is a must.

Last edited by gregm; 06-15-12 at 12:03 AM.

baskets

looking closely for the cockroaches

yet to find one

looks like a good sandwich

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

happiness is relative, keeping things simple is always the first step...

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Quote Originally Posted by StackinGreen View Post
    The whole premise is rather silly. If you ask people pleased with their lives for the most part, they by definition will not have an interesting answer to the question. Thus, you select for those who are unhappy and the reader of the article or study has no idea what % of people that truly was. As you are dying, of course you wish you "would have done" this or that, it is a way of mental escapism, particularly for people who never had faith in God and/or thought their life had real (spiritual) meaning.
    Spot on stuff

It also seems these dying people interviewed are of the same mentality of poker players. They remember and agonize over the bad beats, but forget the lucky hands.

gregm

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    Spot on stuff

It also seems these dying people interviewed are of the same mentality of poker players. They remember and agonize over the bad beats, but forget the lucky hands.
    Great post

probettor1
    probettor1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Things i regreat: Reading pussie threads like this one instead of having a three some with two hot girls, 25 years old each at this right moment.

greenhippo

And yet here you are