milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by RogueScholar View Post
    California, and if I make my own wine, who are you to say that it's inappropriate for me to bring a bottle to share with my boyfriend over a fancy supper? It's done all the time out here, and while most people get charged a corkage fee of $20-$30 for it, it's still a far more reasonable option than the 400% markup most restaurants apply to wine out West. Furthermore, once you cultivate a reputation for taking care of the people at your favorite restaurants, it's almost never applied. I doubt I've paid a corkage fee since 2006.

Only one, but since it was the youngest cat I've ever had to take to the vet because of injury, it sticks out in my mind. I'm guessing my little cat tried to go hang out with the Mama Skunk's babies and got shown the door with no room for interpretation. Poor think limped home reeking of skunk juice with a broken front leg.

Also, I'm a grad student, working towards a career as a professor, not a lawyer.

With only two vets in the area where I was, I liked my chances to get the vet I used during daylight hours. Even if not, I trust that scuttlebutt would takes the tales of how awesome I am to deal with to the other one. There was no animal clinic, if you called at night, the answering service would just call the vet at home who was covering overnights and weekends at the time. Welcome to country life.

i didn't say it was inappropriate. but if you're going to call someone cheap for arguing over $14 that he feels he was overcharged, i'm going to call you cheap for bringing your own wine to a restaurant.

next thing you know you'll bring in your own steak because they're probably marking that up 400% too

RogueScholar
    Chairman Of The Board
    RogueScholar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

It's not about being cheap, it's about taking pride in the work of your own hands. California is renowned for low corkage fees to accommodate the craft wine-making movement that flourishes here. I guess you have to live it before you can understand it.

milwaukee mike

i have lived in california, pasadena to be exact

SlickRick1382
    If hustlin' is a must; be Sosa, not Tony
    SlickRick1382's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11517

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    i didn't say it was inappropriate. but if you're going to call someone cheap for arguing over $14 that he feels he was overcharged, i'm going to call you cheap for bringing your own wine to a restaurant.

next thing you know you'll bring in your own steak because they're probably marking that up 400% too
    Got to disagree with you here. There are certain spots out here in NY / NJ that you can bring your own wine too. Obviously some don't have a liquor license, but still I much rather bring my own brand of wine that I know some of these restaurants don't carry (Portuguese wine for example) which tastes as good if not better than some of the $250+ bottles of wine I've bought at restaurants.

All comes down to personal taste. I have a spot in NYC that I'm a regular at and I bring my own wine at times (not always). All comes down to personal taste and doesn't represent cheapness. If it did then he'd be eating at home or somewhere else rather than spending money at a restaurant...

just my two cents

RogueScholar
    Chairman Of The Board

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    i have lived in california, pasadena to be exact
    Oh, well that's more like pseudo-California; I doubt you see many vineyards that far south. The heart of California is further north, from the Napa Valley up into the Emerald Triangle. We like to have some dirt under our fingernails and don't get called cheap when we bring a bottle of the homebrew to a fine dining establishment.

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick1382 View Post
    Got to disagree with you here. There are certain spots out here in NY / NJ that you can bring your own wine too. Obviously some don't have a liquor license, but still I much rather bring my own brand of wine that I know some of these restaurants don't carry (Portuguese wine for example) which tastes as good if not better than some of the $250+ bottles of wine I've bought at restaurants.

All comes down to personal taste. I have a spot in NYC that I'm a regular at and I bring my own wine at times (not always). All comes down to personal taste and doesn't represent cheapness. If it did then he'd be eating at home or somewhere else rather than spending money at a restaurant...

just my two cents
    fair enough guys i see your points

just thought you were being hard on op for raising a fuss over $14. if it was $1 or $2 ok, but $14 is meaningful enough to argue over imho. we'll agree to disagree on whether in the long run it is better to get pushed around for $14 or whether it's better to raise a fuss and possibly endanger your business relationship.

i say if you let them push you for an extra $14 then next time they might push you for $30 and you have to draw the line somewhere.

doylfish
    doylfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9805

Quote Originally Posted by ** PICKS View Post
    Nope i had as similar deal when i got my dog fixed about 10 years ago, i dropped her off in the morning and said how much is it gonna be, they said 99 bucks total, i called when i got off work to see if she was ready to be picked up and i said 99 bucks just to confirm cause i had to tap the ATM and they said 129, i said you told me 99 this morning and they said we had to do blah blah blah so i was a little pissed but was gonna pay it. When i got there i went to pay and the twat says that will be 156, i fukking lost it and cursed her and the other twat at the desk out and then the doctor came out and gave it to him too. I end the ordeal by saying, "heres 99 bucks like you told me this morning, now go get my fukking dog" and they went and got it and i never went back. So fukk those people, you're paying their salary, not vice versa. The entire medical profession has been, and always will be, a racket.
    any profession you have no expertise in will always seem like a racket to you. i'm in the medical field, and don't even get me started on such 'rackets' as mechanics shops, insurances, electricians, plumbers, et al. anything can be made out to be a racket, but unless you know how to fix the problem yourself then deal with it at the end of the day. every individual in this world is always looking out to get an advantage and better themselves and usually that comes at the expense of someone else's wallet.

it cost me $251 out of pocket to have a cavity drilled and filled the other day, took all of 30 minutes. Do i think that's ridiculous? hell yeah i do, but i can't fix it myself, nor is it worth to it find another dentist who may or may not do as good as job as the current dentist i have a good rapport with. i'd like to keep my teeth healthy as they're the only set i'm going to have and don't fancy dentures at any point of my life.
    Last edited by doylfish; 06-05-12 at 03:13 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: RogueScholar

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Quote Originally Posted by doylfish View Post
    any profession you have no expertise in will always seem like a racket to you. i'm in the medical field, and don't even get me started on such 'rackets' as mechanics shops, insurances, electricians, plumbers, et al. anything can be made out to be a racket, but unless you know how to fix the problem yourself then deal with it at the end of the day. every individual in this world is always looking out to get an advantage and better themselves and usually that comes at the expense of someone else's wallet.

it cost me $251 out of pocket to have a cavity drilled and filled the other day, took all of 30 minutes. Do i think that's ridiculous? hell yeah i do, but i can't fix it myself, nor is it worth to it find another dentist who may or may not do as good as job as the current dentist i have a good rapport with. i'd like to keep my teeth healthy as they're the only set i'm going to have and don't fancy dentures at any point of my life.
    Once again, this isn't about how much something costs, it's about being told one amount, receiving the service, then being charged a significantly higher amount.
    Last edited by TheCentaur; 06-05-12 at 03:27 PM.

doylfish
    doylfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9805

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    Once again, this isn't about how much something costs, it's about being told one amount, receiving the service, then being charged a significantly higher amount.

alright, well at this office the flat fee for a cavity is $200 and I was told it was going to cost $200. however something in dentist speak that i don't understand didn't go the way it was supposed to and it wound up being an extra $50. something to do with the kind of filling material used, the curing process, et al. at the end of the day, it wasn't worth quibbling over when it means the job got done, my teeth felt good, and i've had no repercussions since. does that relate enough?

also, i wasn't really responding to your issue about flipping out about $14, i was responding to the bolded sentence of the post i quoted. hence why i bolded it in the first place to stem the confusion, but clearly had no effect on that process
    Last edited by doylfish; 06-05-12 at 03:34 PM.

TheCentaur

Roguesqualor picture this. You and your boyfriend went out to a new restaurant and you were informed that no, there was no corkage fee, but as you finished dinner you see you were charged $14 for corkage. It was one of the best meals you have had in awhile so you probably want to eat there again. Would you say nothing?

Don't argue semantics, just answer the question.

milwaukee mike

every time i see the word corkage i think of a cork being shoved in someone's butthole

RogueScholar
    Chairman Of The Board

Roguesqualor picture this. You and your boyfriend went out to a new restaurant and you were informed that no, there was no corkage fee, but as you finished dinner you see you were charged $14 for corkage. It was one of the best meals you have had in awhile so you probably want to eat there again. Would you say nothing?

Don't argue semantics, just answer the question.
    Absolutely I say nothing. I had a wonderful time, chances are I'm too busy enjoying myself to even notice the extra $14 on the check. My general instinct is not to pay much attention to how much things cost when my expectations are being met/exceeded.
    Last edited by RogueScholar; 06-05-12 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Amplified my answer now that I'm off the phone

Statistics
    Statistics's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Grow a pair man.

Guys like this were the closet homo's that got buried in school by cool kids like Lakerboy.

This guy is going to bend over and take it in the a$$ like a champ.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by RogueScholar View Post
    Absolutely I say nothing.
    LIE

You expect us to believe that while you are incapable of compromise or concession (evident from your discussions on here) you will gladly get lied to, stolen from, and then take it up the ass
    sit there and take it?

RogueScholar
    Chairman Of The Board

If you don't want to defend your position anymore, just drop the conversation, Centaur. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you over such an obviously sensitive topic as your need to micro-manage your income and expenditures.

My whole point here is that paying too much attention to small variance in your expenses is both unhealthy and unproductive. I don't see much hope of convincing you of the merits of my position when you're still quibbling about the same $14 for the second day in a row.

Statistics
    Statistics's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Maybe it's not even about the $14 anymore, but your overly educated, standoffish, condescending manner of speaking. You must think you're fukking right because everyone is in your fukking position, d1ckwad.

Who's to judge what's trivial and what's not fukking trivial you fukking wine sipping dirt bag.

My mother fukkin raised me as a single mother on minimum wage; back then it was $7/hour; that's fukking two hours of labor over a fukking 'oppsie, I misspoke and misquoted'.

Fuk you, go learn the value of money. Not everyone can be some upper class wine-sipping homosexual who drop $14 on the floor and not bat a fukking eye.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: chilidog

FrozenMAN
    2020 Big Ten CHAMPS!
    FrozenMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4112

you spent $84 to get your dog fixed??? I don't get these people...would never do that shit if it was way sick like cancer treatments and all that....just go buy a new one...kinda like hookers...

showtiime
    Update your status
    showtiime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5853

last 2 posts before this one were amusing / funny in their own way, too bad i couldn't make it 3 in a row

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenMAN View Post
    you spent $84 to get your dog fixed??? I don't get these people...would never do that shit if it was way sick like cancer treatments and all that....just go buy a new one...kinda like hookers...
    I would spend 8400, I love my dog. You must not be a dog person

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenMAN View Post
    I would spend 8400, I love my dog. You must not be a dog person
    I would spend $84,000 on hookers, I love my hookers. I hope you are a hooker person, Centaur.

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Zeta, I dont think the question is if he did the right thing or not but more specifically did he handle the situation correctly. I could say that bringing up the issue wasnt wrong but maybe he handled it wrongly. I feel certain I could have gotten them to honour their initial $20 quote and love me as Im walking out the door.

Zeta young man, perception is everything in life. I can tell someone to kiss my ass and have them thanking me on the way out the door, its all how I say it. Perception.

Zeta you havr a bright future. Just need a bit of grooming.
    Kraken i need improvement in a fe areas

i am working on it tho

First 123