frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

Do parents not discipline their kids anymore?

Today I was at the barber shop getting my hair cut and some kid about 6 years old was playing some game on his iPad and started to lose so he started to cry, so his mom tried to help him in the game and made him lose again so he started to cry even louder and then proceeded to slug his mom in the chest a couple times, then continued to hit her about a dozen more times and all she did was say "It's ok baby, I'm sorry" and pander to him.

Then the other day I was grocery shopping and some 7 year old girl wanted some kind of ice cream and her older sister wanted another kind of ice cream and the mom chose to get the older sister's ice cream instead and the 7 year old started to throw a tantrum and threw the box of ice cream across the aisle. Of course the mom says "It's ok honey we will get both" instead of issuing some kind of reprimand.

I will tell you this if I pulled any of that shit when I was a kid my parents, either my mom or dad, would have thrown me up against the wall and then some. I got spanked, beat, whooped, kicked, thrown, and every thing in between. And I deserved it every time.

Do parents just not discipline their kids anymore? It's as if they want to be friends with their kids rather than be parents. Instead of being authoritative and commanding, parents instead phrase everything in the form of a question. Instead of saying "It's time for dinner, turn off the TV" its "It's time for dinner, turn off the TV, OK?" Polling shows that less and less parents spank their kids and resort to joke punishment like the "timeout chair" or "naughty room" that do nothing. The liberal PC crowd also is marching saying that spanking is abuse.

This, combined with the fact discipline in schools has become a joke, is why our society is in major decline.

YorkHunt
    I JUST RELEASED
    YorkHunt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1507

JJ needs to start paying child support

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

as the parent of 2 girls (3 & 1), i can say without a shadow of a doubt that most parents do that shit just to shut their kids up cause they don't wanna deal with them and just give in.

my girls are in for a rude awakening if they think their daddy is gonna do that.

also agree that if that were me acting up my dad woulda turned his fat ass college ring around and smacked me upside the head with it

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Have no fear, frogsrangers, the old school disciplinary ideals are making a comeback!

Dad
    2011 Adult Entertainer of the Year
    Dad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Frog, tell us more about the "Naughty Room".

It sounds interesting.

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Frog, tell us more about the "Naughty Room".

It sounds interesting.
    Basically "go to your room" or a room in the house where a kid goes for timeout.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 259

I remember about 16 years ago when my oldest kid was 2 years old. We were in the grocery line, and my kid refused to stand up. he would sit on the floor, and I would calmly stand him up again. He would throw a fit, and we went through the scenario of him sitting back down about 2 more times. Finally, in from of actual people, I popped him on the bottom to get the point across. A lady behind me was offended by what I did, and told me how out of line I was. I let her know calmly that he's my son, and if she tries to tell me how to handle him, she can get the next whooping. She gave a little scoff, and went to another line. You can't negotiate with a toddler.

jnickell100
    jnickell100's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 269

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    I remember about 16 years ago when my oldest kid was 2 years old. We were in the grocery line, and my kid refused to stand up. he would sit on the floor, and I would calmly stand him up again. He would throw a fit, and we went through the scenario of him sitting back down about 2 more times. Finally, in from of actual people, I popped him on the bottom to get the point across. A lady behind me was offended by what I did, and told me how out of line I was. I let her know calmly that he's my son, and if she tries to tell me how to handle him, she can get the next whooping. She gave a little scoff, and went to another line. You can't negotiate with a toddler.
    She probably wanted the next spankin. I don't think parents discipline their children anymore though. That's why you see so many shitheads running around not giving a shit. Guarantee my dad woulda kicked my ass if I did something like that.

offshoreguy
    offshoreguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 432

My toddler could probably use more discipline but to be honest I find it harder than I thought it would be to apply corporal punishment when she gets out of line. In the last few weeks I have gave her one or two bare handed spanks on the butt when she does something that may result in injury but aside from that Im guilty of "giving in". I've been thinking of applying this type of punishment for tantrums and stuff, but she's just so damn cute and I love her so much the last thing I want to do is hurt her or make her cry more. As sappy as it sounds Im sure Im not the only parent that feels that way.

beefcake
    Update your status
    beefcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

Good post guys.Wife is pregnant with our first(boy).Still on the fence about punishment.I dont want my boy becoming a shithead though..hmmm..

Lookingtostart
    Lookingtostart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4542

Here's the thing. Children are very influential, they will look up to their role model every chance they get. You would have to be the worst father for your children not to look up to you... and that is what's happening some places. Where are the parents and how decrepit and cold are they?

offshoreguy

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
    Good post guys.Wife is pregnant with our first(boy).Still on the fence about punishment.I dont want my boy becoming a shithead though..hmmm..
    Congrats and welcome to the club. Being a parent is awesome but definitely has it's trials and tribulations. I honestly think it would be much easier to spank a boy around than a girl, but I dont have one so I cant comment.

offshoreguy

One thing that should be mentioned is that not only did parents discipline their kids more "back in the day" they also taught them a lot more bad habits as well. For example parents smoked around children in enclosed areas, took kids to bars, locked special needs kids(back when they were called "retards, and many other things that seem stupid to our generation of baby spoilers.

studmlb55
    studmlb55's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by offshoreguy View Post
    My toddler could probably use more discipline but to be honest I find it harder than I thought it would be to apply corporal punishment when she gets out of line. In the last few weeks I have gave her one or two bare handed spanks on the butt when she does something that may result in injury but aside from that Im guilty of "giving in". I've been thinking of applying this type of punishment for tantrums and stuff, but she's just so damn cute and I love her so much the last thing I want to do is hurt her or make her cry more. As sappy as it sounds Im sure Im not the only parent that feels that way.
    I have a 3 year old daughter and I see nothing cute about a tantrum or her being defiant! You are doing your child a huge disservice by allowing them to get away with their self righteous inappropriate behavior.

Gdog
    Gdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

so many spoiled kids these days. i remember growing up, you never talked to your parents or acted the way kids do today

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Anybody remember as a child when you started a new school year, and you had to take home a form for your parents to sign, that gave the school permission to use 'corporal punishment' on you if you misbehaved? Times are so different now. Hell, I was told recently that freakin dodgeball has been banned in some areas because it's "too violent". When the hell did people become such pussies??

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

every generation says the same thing.

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19224

When we're old and gray and on our deathbeds is a bout the time we'll see the USA gets taken over by the Chinese

these kids are brought up to be weaklings

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 259

We had field day 3 weeks ago at my daughter's school. They have taken all of the competition away now. There were no ribbons for events. We used to have the traditional class vs. class tug of war. Now they do a tug of war within the class, where the kids and teacher will pick teams, you play a couple of times, and then its no big deal. Off to the playground. Its just not anymore.

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2486

Good posts guys!...I'm 41 years old myself and remember as a kid growing up in the 70's and 80's if I even did half the shit that these kids get away with today, I would have gotten my ass whooped....Today's kids are spoiled and down right rotten and disrespectful...I've never in my life seen so many kids sass their parents, throw hissy fits, and call their mom's BITCHES!!...Are you effin' kidding me???!!!!...I guess it's all part of this garbage hip hop culture that we live in!...As FrogsRangers mentioned earlier, it's also the reason why our society has gone to shit...No more values, morals, ethics!...and of'course the main reason why kids get away with the behavior that they do...Because we aren't allowed to discipline them anymore!!......You so much as lay a hand on your child and Social Services and Child protection agencies are knocking on your door the next day!...and then people wonder why!

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    A lady behind me was offended by what I did, and told me how out of line I was. I let her know calmly that he's my son, and if she tries to tell me how to handle him, she can get the next whooping.

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

Parents too scared of childrens aids . Plus kids have big mouths and may run around on some "my dad beats me" bullshiit next thing ya know you got some retards with no kids knocking at your door ready to take your kids away and tell u how to be a parent. Gotta be careful in public too

My oldest one ....all i gotta do is give him the stare. Little asshole knows the fukking deal by now.

offshoreguy

Quote Originally Posted by studmlb55 View Post
    I have a 3 year old daughter and I see nothing cute about a tantrum or her being defiant! You are doing your child a huge disservice by allowing them to get away with their self righteous inappropriate behavior.
    Agree, there is nothing cute about it but Im not sure if spanking her ass is the answer. Once she is able to communicate better(aka form and comprehend complete sentences) I wont feel as bad about spanking her when reasoning fails but at this stage(2 years of age) I'm finding it very hard to use violence as a communication tool. Now I'm not doubting the love you or anyone else has for their child, but personally it breaks my heart every time I have to hurt her to make a point.

guitarjosh
    guitarjosh's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9195

Liberals have outlawed disciplining your kids. If you spanked your child in some places, you would have your kid put in foster care and you would be arrested.

Balco10
    Balco10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

^ yeap child protective services gets involved. It's bullshit that you can't discipline the old fashion way, knock some sense into them!

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Parents can't punish their kids anymore out of fear of DHS taking them away.

Edit: Just saw the post above mine referenced this already. Didn't read the entire thread.

Vol_Bengal
    Vol_Bengal's Avatar Become A Pro!

Its funny because I was raised, as one of 6, that you get your ass beat when you get out of line... I've busted my kids ass in line at Disney World (the happiest place in the world!!!) and had a lady 3 or 4 people further up in line say something to me. The lady behind me tells the lady to mind her own business and that kids sometimes need a good whipping. So, we proceeded to have a 30 second to one minute argument at which point I told the lady nicely that I'd handle my kids how I saw fit and if she didn't like it she could turn around and mind her own business. But, My two oldest sisters both have kids and neither one whips their kids... and them raised the same way I was. And, their kids, by and large, are spoiled brats.

Too many parents want to be their kids best friend. Kids need to be raised - and far too little of that happens anymore. Heck, I have older folks walk up to me and thank me for making my kids mind when they see it in public.

Its funny, when I'm out with my kids or something and we'll see a kids acting like a fool... I'll look over at my and ask them what would happen if they tried that stuff. They kind of chuckle and my they'll say "you'd blister our tails"... to which, I'm like "you better believe it".
    Last edited by Vol_Bengal; 06-04-12 at 09:20 AM.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Kids are very spoiled in present times. It's awful. You have to watch the way that you discipline in public becuase it can be perceived incorrectly and there can be a knock at your door.

I have an awful situation where the kid isn't mine, it's my girlfriends. He hit's curses answers back on everything. I swear, it tests your mental strength because when I was a kid, you did what you were told. Fellas, if you dealt with this kid, you would go running for the hills. He loves to see me and his mother fight and 75% of the time he initiates the arguments. It's a living hell. I really love children but when the kid isn't yours and behaves terribly, there's nothing to love and it ruins the quality of your life. I swear, i don't know what to say about it other than that.

I'd like for everything to be nice but I can't accept having a 9 year old question me and answer back on everything that I say and do. The kids today, the technology today; we didn't have this in the 70's. Like I said, we were satisfied with stuff like a nerf football and if someone said to do something, we did it with no backtalk.