milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420 View Post
    I have a 2010 OCT Becketts here & it looks like there is between $250-$275 in Book Value.
    Because the worth is spread out over so much weight, rather than just 2 or 3 high valued cards, you'd be looking at spending over $30 to ship these. Maybe more than $50 if insured or out of country.
    I know the buyer pays the shipping but they build that into their buying price just like you can build it into your selling price & then say free shipping.:wink:
    Because they are factory sealed sets I would guess that you'd be lucky to find to someone who is willing to pay 15%-24% of book value.
    Say someone for some reason needs these sets & wants to pay 25% of BV. After you pay for packaging & shipping costs you'll get $30-$40 profit.
    IMO
    A dealer at a show or a local shop will tell you that theres no way he can sell it so if you wanna leave them there, you can but, he won't pay cash for them.

you can ship them media mail pretty cheap if you tape the hell out of the boxes and say they're books, but it's still better to donate them (if you itemize deductions) and claim a few hundred as a deduction

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    baseball cards USED to be worth so much, the strike in 94 killed the whole game
    ebay killed collecting of cards/stamps/coins
    too many guys giving everything away, now people think nothing is worth anything (and therefore it isn't)

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

It's a hobby not about the money

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

I didn't look at specific years, but from my uneducated guess, getting the Jeter/Rodriguez/future HOF rookies and going to games and getting them signed. 99% of those I assume aren't worth .25 but if you have a dozen or so signed they could fetch you a decent amount?

Team Ramrod
    Team Ramrod's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

In the 89 fleer you have rookie of Randy Johnson, Gary Sheffield and Jr. They would fetch about $15 total if lucky. It also contains the famous Billy Ripken "**** Face" card which runs about $10-20. And if it the rare scribbled out version it gos for about $50-100.

the_orangekat
    the_orangekat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by secretstash View Post
    Unfortunately nothing.

Everything from 1985 through 2002 is considered junk wax and most collectors lost their life savings investing in overproduced cardboard.

Buy 1950s baseball.. It's like trading federal bonds its so stable.

There will always be people wanting to own Mantle, Mays, Williams, Dimaggio, etc type star cards.. It was when the hobby was more scarce and now hence more collectable.

Gl

-stash
    100% true. Cracks me up when people on Craigslist try to sell their 1985-2002 junk thinking they can rake in the money their grandparents got for their Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrigs.

When selling memorabilia, it isn't about what the 'Beckett value is.' It's about WHAT ANOTHER LIVING BREATHING HUMAN BEING WILL PAY YOU FOR IT. I don't sell sports memorabilia often but from what I've experienced, take that Beckett value and anticipate 1/4th of it.
    Last edited by the_orangekat; 05-14-12 at 05:40 PM.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15015

That doesnt explain why hockey cards & football cards & basketball cards are dead too.

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

isn't griffy jr 1989? shouldn't that be something?

CarpeDime
    CarpeDime's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1005

I will pay $75 EACH for every Topps 85 Kirby Puckett and Dwight Gooden you got

Those things will be worth $150 each by next year, a grand each in 10 years

You need to get in on the good deals EARLY I'm no fool

these things are going nowhere but up

Also will pay $200 each for any Tim Raines Fleer rookie you got, my projections have them at 150%-200% current value by next year

Dutchie
    Dutchie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    baseball cards USED to be worth so much, the strike in 94 killed the whole game

wasn't the strike, it was the fact that the demand went up in the late 80's and the supply went up even higher! those cards aren't rare at all, any decent one got encased in plastic and kept in safes. Back in the day we'd put a Mantle or Mays card in our back pocket for good luck, or in our bike spokes, or sign their fake autograph on it. That is why the old cards are worth alot, kids treated them the way they should be. Toys made of cardboard

mynameismud
    mynameismud's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8427

These are $300-$400 per pack.

dice
    dice's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeDime View Post
    I will pay $75 EACH for every Topps 85 Kirby Puckett and Dwight Gooden you got

Those things will be worth $150 each by next year, a grand each in 10 years

You need to get in on the good deals EARLY I'm no fool

these things are going nowhere but up

Also will pay $200 each for any Tim Raines Fleer rookie you got, my projections have them at 150%-200% current value by next year
    Genius!

CarpeDime

will also pay 2X beckett list price for any and all topps '85-'95 common cards

prefer vg/exc but will take any condition, avg/poor ok

i will pay shipping

dice

will also pay 2X beckett list price for any and all topps '85-'95 common cards

prefer vg/exc but will take any condition, avg/poor ok

i will pay shipping
    Will you buy Garbage Pail Kids too? I've got over 100 boxes of 1st and 2nd editions.

CarpeDime

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Will you buy Garbage Pail Kids too? I've got over 100 boxes of 1st and 2nd editions.
    no those things aren't worth sh*t and will be worth less than half of not worth sh*t by this time next year

I'm no fool pal

my charts dont lie

wacky packs yes, Topps common cards late 80s - mid 90s yes

dice

no those things aren't worth sh*t and will be worth less than half of not worth sh*t by this time next year

I'm no fool pal

my charts dont lie

wacky packs yes, Topps common cards late 80s - mid 90s yes
    The prices will eventually go up for this era of baseball cards. No joke. Unfortunately, the supply exceeded demand during this time. It was fun to be a collector but the cards were valued solely on perception (and the Beckett price guide).

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

What are the chances walker will add some late 80's - 90's cards to the store? Id like to see some sportflics if we can track those down. Those cards were like fukkin 3d...jump right out at you!

Id pay like 25 fukkin betpoints per set!

CarpeDime

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    What are the chances walker will add some late 80's - 90's cards to the store? Id like to see some sportflics if we can track those down. Those cards were like fukkin 3d...jump right out at you!

Id pay like 25 fukkin betpoints per set!
    SPORTSFLICKS ****A!!! HELLYEAH!!!

them sh*ts was BAD and also fukin PSYCHODELIC! I used to TRIP OUT on them sh*ts when I was a little shorty

Jeffie
    Jeffie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1163

Quote Originally Posted by secretstash View Post
    Unfortunately nothing. Everything from 1985 through 2002 is considered junk wax and most collectors lost their life savings investing in overproduced cardboard. Buy 1950s baseball.. It's like trading federal bonds its so stable. There will always be people wanting to own Mantle, Mays, Williams, Dimaggio, etc type star cards.. It was when the hobby was more scarce and now hence more collectable. Gl -stash
    this, i took alot of cards in years back thinking some were worth a bit but unfortunately they are not. Collectors just look for what Stash mentioned.

Weems2k
    Fat!!!
    Weems2k's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8536

Damn. I guess selling my Griffey 89 Upper Deck 10 years ago for $75bucks was a steal.

dice

Quote Originally Posted by Weems2k View Post
    Damn. I guess selling my Griffey 89 Upper Deck 10 years ago for $75bucks was a steal.
    Dude, I have five of those cards! Are you kidding?

spankie
    Long Live Rodney!
    spankie's Avatar Become A Pro!

those years are not even worth the cardboard they are printed on. might be a few decent rookies here and there. but for the most part worthless.

mostly because they printed 9999999999999999999999 sets.

most of todays cards are limited print which make them more valuable and collectible.

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

damn why do baseball cards suck so much? i just found some old basketball cards i bought as a kid at a flea market. but the whole big box for 5 bucks worth 150 now. from the two sets i sold.

Weems2k
    Fat!!!
    Weems2k's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8536

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Dude, I have five of those cards! Are you kidding?
    It was prolly more like 15 years ago, but yes, I did find a huge Griffey fan that paid that much.

First 12