TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Do fast food places increase their profit by shorting you on fries in the drive thru?

I see Wendy's do this all the time. The box of fries is only about 2/3 full if you got thru the drive thru. I always forget to say anything because I'm busy checking to make sure all the items are there. If you order and eat inside the restaurant the box is overflowing.

Just went to McDonalds and it happened there too.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

yes. Most def, i got shortened this morning on my bo-rounds at Bojangels.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16097

the biggest money maker for fast food places is the fountain drinks.....buddy of mine owns a couple of Subway sandwich places...

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Take extra condiments

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

Also if the cut out 1/25 wedge from each cheeseburger they make an extra .50-.75 every 25th one sold. Gotta be a cheeseburger because the cheese covers the cut.

nyyanks773
    nyyanks773's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 358

fountain soda

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    the biggest money maker for fast food places is the fountain drinks.....buddy of mine owns a couple of Subway sandwich places...
    Very true.

When I worked for a restaurant chain back in the 90's/early mid 2000's, we figured out that the customer on average would have to drink around 15 glasses of soda to get their actual $1.49 worth.

ParlayininHTown
    Countdown to death: 1 day
    ParlayininHTown's Avatar Become A Pro!

Actually, when you get a full carton, it's often a mistake by a grunt/lower-level employee who is unaware of company protocol. Many of these places are constantly hounding their general and assistant managers to get on the grunts to not stuff the fry carton. A carton that is around 2/3 or 3/4-full is technically the correct amount, as odd as that may seem to the customer because they are used to getting full cartons so often from employees who could care less about what the true medium fry is supposed to look like. They're just zombies who are scooping fries into a carton and trying to get the employee out of their face ASAP, and I cannot blame them for not giving a shit.

I remember this from my fast-food working days in my teens. Any time the area manager came in to check on stuff, he and the lower-level managers would be up our asses to not stuff the fry box, not give out extra condiments, etc. I always felt it came across as cheap and unnecessary, and I stuffed the carton whenever I wasn't being watched, but you have to try to see the other side's point-of-view on this one.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    I see Wendy's do this all the time. The box of fries is only about 2/3 full if you got thru the drive thru. I always forget to say anything because I'm busy checking to make sure all the items are there. If you order and eat inside the restaurant the box is overflowing.

its a slick thing they do imagine how many fries are saved...I've seen some mcdonalds that charge extra for more than one sweet and sour sauce lol that's cheap as fukk. I'm not ashamed to say I often make the person working the drive through fill them up to the top they give me a look like this but I don't care fill my fries to the top bitch.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

Quote Originally Posted by tony_come View Post
    Take extra condiments
    and napkins, 2 things I have never purchased are ketchup and napkins. When I run out I make a fast food run

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

They dont give free meals to employees and you know they gotta eat too
    And oh yeah they need to wash it down also
    Name:  rs_293x473-130613175544-634.ice.cm.61313_copy.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  40.0 KB

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

They dont give free meals to employees and you know they gotta eat too
    And oh yeah they need to wash it down also
    Name:  rs_293x473-130613175544-634.ice.cm.61313_copy.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  40.0 KB

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32174

Dont't want to get shorted on fries? Go to Five Guys.
    Points Awarded:

paco gave DiggityDaggityDo 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

DiggityDaggityDo

This is one order of fries at Five guys.

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

Quote Originally Posted by marcoloco View Post
    and napkins, 2 things I have never purchased are ketchup and napkins. When I run out I make a fast food run
    Lol in school I had a couple drawers of everything, forks/knife kits etc. Never had to wash dishes. +ev from the saved time alone.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post

No doubt

DiggityDaggityDo

Quote Originally Posted by marcoloco View Post
    Do you ever steal their toilet paper?

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3549

Corporate Fukks. Do not eat at those establishments. Support your local businessman.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose View Post
    Corporate Fukks. Do not eat at those establishments. Support your local businessman.
    Yeah the ones who lease equipment from corporate restaurant supply stores, get deliveries of product from US Foods etc and partner with Veeeeeza for their POS transactions who then in turn pay the processor middle man corporation...good plan

Unless you're only paying Remington to pump your own bullet in meat and then skinning it yourself and having a local processor process it for you....you're paying the corporate fukks whether you're eating at Bill's Burger or Panera Goose

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

You guys are worrying about a fast food place shorting you on fries? They purchase in amazing bulk. For a $1.99 size fry... probably cost the company $0.04 on the container and $0.25 on product... and maybe $0.02 for oil. That's a pretty good mark up on fries.

TeeRose
    TeeRose's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3534

Short on fries or the last batch of fries, those short small pieces
    mcChicken and Big mac having less sauce on them
    no napkins or no ketchup unless you ask for them
    gotta pay extra for sweet and sour sauce for my chicken nuggets
    once I got a flat coke

McDonalds has to be the worst for me
    Wendy's and Burger King never messes up my order.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

Do you ever steal their toilet paper?
    NO.... come on now, thats just silly...... why take the toilet paper when i can just take a shit there to save on my water bill?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: DiggityDaggityDo

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose View Post
    Bingo

Small family owned type places are the way to go. The quality of food is always higher. And there's not an army of people trying to figure out how to sacrifice quality for a few more pennies.

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5566

A long time ago I knew a guy who ran a very successful bar. He would give each order of pub food unlimited fries. 90% of the customers would be satisfied with the original order and for those that ordered more it was well worth the cost because potatoes are cheap and the public relations he got out of it you couldn't buy.

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3549

And free fries sells more beer too.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14308

One fry short per person really adds up.

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

I've always heard that the biggest profit margins in fast food were soft drinks and cheese.

Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

Always ask for unsalted fries and then salt them yourself. This ensures that the fries are fresh and have not been sitting around and salted for long. I am pretty smart aren't i?

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5566

Quote Originally Posted by Seaweed View Post
    Always ask for unsalted fries and then salt them yourself. This ensures that the fries are fresh and have not been sitting around and salted for long. I am pretty smart aren't i?
    You listen to Stern too Weeder?

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post

Thats funny to me as it brings back a memory. I used to work at Wendy's in high school for a month or so, I remember doing the exact opposite of what youre complaining about before and that is Id fill the fry cartons all the way up, I remember the manager who was a family friend and played football with my brother saying, dont put so many fries in the carton. So they are instructed to at least not fill them up, also it keeps them from working harder, keeps them from having to always be cooking fries. Loved the free meals and getting whatever I wanted at quitting time, other than that its a hard way to make an easy living.

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by chipper View Post
    I've always heard that the biggest profit margins in fast food were soft drinks and cheese.
    Not sure about the cheese but the soft drinks no doubt, its just syrup and water.

jtoler

Lol you can say that again, where I live they have so many fries that they have them stored up next to the wall in the diner area right next to where youre eating.

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2714

I know for a fact that certain amusement parks, theme parks, water parks, etc. like Kings Dominion and Six Flags make a lot of profit on those fruit juices...you know the stands that have strawberry, apple, banana, grape, shaped plastic containers and they usually charge like $3.75 on average for them but yet it only costs them $0.05 to make!...$$$$$!...talk about a decent chunk sized profit margin!....
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 10-30-15 at 11:26 AM. Reason: image does not exist

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9978

Quote Originally Posted by Da Manster! View Post
    I know for a fact that certain amusement parks, theme parks, water parks, etc. like Kings Dominion and Six Flags make a lot of profit on those fruit juices...you know the stands that have strawberry, apple, banana, grape, shaped plastic containers and they usually charge like $3.75 on average for them but yet it only costs them $0.05 to make!...$$$$$!...talk about a decent chunk sized profit margin!....
    That is basically true of any business where you pay to get in. All the profit is in the extra's they sell. Movies, amusment parks, sports games, etc. Everyone looks at the price of admission and bases their personal value on that. Corporations know that.

I don't go to movies often - but went for the first time in probably 10 years recently. Ordered a couple of soda's and some popcorn. Kid rung me up and total was like $30 or some shit like that. I asked him how many orders he thought I was paying for. Cost more for a diet coke than my ticket to movie.

No different at basically any place you pay for admission.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 10-30-15 at 11:26 AM. Reason: image does not exist