jjaycuny
    jjaycuny's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9434

How young is too young for an introduction to gambling?

It seems like most posters here had their fathers bring them to the horse track or show them parlay cards at a young age. I feel like taking a kid to the track and showing him how betting odds work is a nice weekend tradition, but will a kid be more likely to get into trouble with gambling if he's exposed to it too young? I'm a long time away from having kids, I was just curious.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

an educated gambler is a better gambler , the younger the better... Your kid may not like to gamble therefore will have no interest

OTOH... if he has an addicted personality he will find another avenue to satisfy himself if it isnt gambling

My 1st real $$$ loss was Superbowl III , had Balt been chasing ever since

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Just make sex ed, drug awareness, and gambling a package deal when you sit your kid down for the "talk".

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Outa the womb is good. Have their baptism at a horsetrack instead of a church

tunaguitar76
    tunaguitar76's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 895

shouldn't this be an o/u?
    Points Awarded:

ParlayininHTown gave tunaguitar76 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

This is a lifelong endeavor friends.

There was a thread once about what was your first bet...if you remember then you aren't a true degenerate gambler.

mh217
    mh217's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why would you wanna intentionally ruin some poor kid's life?...you are a scumbag....steer kids away from this lifestyle.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by mh217 View Post
    Why would you wanna intentionally ruin some poor kid's life?...you are a scumbag....steer kids away from this lifestyle.
    If you think gambling automatically ruins someones life, what are you doing here?

I take my kids to arlington all the time, they enjoy it for what it is and making gambling/ drinking/Etc like the "forbidden fruit" just makes teenagers not be able to handle those things

France and other countries where kids drink wine have nowhere near the alcoholism/drunk driving problems that the u.s. has

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14709

If only there was someone around to talk to you before you ruined yours.
    Imagine the possibilities!

jjaycuny

haha you moron. Did you even read what i wrote? I don't have kids, I was just curious on what everyone's view on it was.

TEXAS MICKEY
    TEXAS MICKEY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4375

Went to Vegas as a senior in high school, that was 40 years ago. Been going 2-3 times a year ever since. Was taught how to play craps and black jack the correct way, and not some street craps and Auntie M's 21 game.
    I think there is a time in a person's life that they are going to drink, smoke, get some puzzy, and gamble and that will be left up to the individual persons interest and how they handle it.
    Already have taken my grandson to Vegas, he was 16 his first trip and he is now 22 and seems to handle it well. His buddies that are just now being introduced to it, are having issues. No, money management according to the bank roll that they have to play with.
    JMHO, better you teach them how to play, and play correctly, than some street hoodlum.

mh217

Quote Originally Posted by jjaycuny View Post
    haha you moron. Did you even read what i wrote? I don't have kids, I was just curious on what everyone's view on it was.
    I read what you wrote jerky..I know you wrote you dont have kids....but you wrote you wanted to take a kid, who knows if it's a gf's kid or a nephew, lil cousin..whatever..it's not a good thing to teach kids how to gamble..maybe they will get hooked, maybe they won't..why chance it...keep em in school getting straight A's and playing sports...good college, bright future...aspire to raise a doctor, an engineer, a scholar...not no fuckin broke degenerate scumbags in life like jayvegas or the other hundreds of clowns on here.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: whyteowl

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

I can't fathom what happens when guys like this pro-create?!
    mh217 is such a donk when it comes to gambling he'll need a kid to take his action!

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

My Dad never went to the track, but I do remember watching him play poker with his buddies, I played dominoes with my Uncle for pennies when I was young and by about 10 yrs old or so saving part of my allowance every week during football season to buy a $2 football square.

I always thought gambling was pretty normal, most everybody in my family gambles to some extent, not big time or anything like that. Mostly stuff like football squares, bingo, dominoes, some friendly poker, stuff like that.

My Dad did talk to me about gambling when I was about 11 or 12, he told me not to gamble what I can't afford to lose. He told me if you can't afford to wad up that money into a ball and throw it into the trash without missing it, then don't gamble it. Always thought that was pretty good advice.
    Points Awarded:

dfish gave Roadtrip635 12 SBR Point(s) for this post.

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

after they learn their multiplication/long division/decimals/% any time before that is a waste

mh217

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420 View Post
    I can't fathom what happens when guys like this pro-create?!
    mh217 is such a donk when it comes to gambling he'll need a kid to take his action!
    You shameless small time prick dont forget I get to shit on your face when the pacers win that series....you have to be one of the most pathetic creatures on this planet..

CaDDyy
    CaDDyy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 44

I joined this site when i was 15

jjaycuny

I read what you wrote jerky..I know you wrote you dont have kids....but you wrote you wanted to take a kid, who knows if it's a gf's kid or a nephew, lil cousin..whatever..it's not a good thing to teach kids how to gamble..maybe they will get hooked, maybe they won't..why chance it...keep em in school getting straight A's and playing sports...good college, bright future...aspire to raise a doctor, an engineer, a scholar...not no fuckin broke degenerate scumbags in life like jayvegas or the other hundreds of clowns on here.
    Again, you just proved what an idiot you are. I never said I wanted to take a kid anywhere. I do not have kids, and I am not responsible for anyone else's kid. I just wanted to see what people's views are on the subject. Can I be anymore clear?

jjaycuny

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip635 View Post
    My Dad never went to the track, but I do remember watching him play poker with his buddies, I played dominoes with my Uncle for pennies when I was young and by about 10 yrs old or so saving part of my allowance every week during football season to buy a $2 football square.

I always thought gambling was pretty normal, most everybody in my family gambles to some extent, not big time or anything like that. Mostly stuff like football squares, bingo, dominoes, some friendly poker, stuff like that.

My Dad did talk to me about gambling when I was about 11 or 12, he told me not to gamble what I can't afford to lose. He told me if you can't afford to wad up that money into a ball and throw it into the trash without missing it, then don't gamble it. Always thought that was pretty good advice.
    This is the type of response I was looking for. You are a perfect example of how introducing a kid to gambling at a young age isn't detrimental (now, for or the retards like mh217, I am not saying it CAN'T be detrimental, just how it can be done responsibly).

mh217

Quote Originally Posted by jjaycuny View Post
    It seems like most posters here had their fathers bring them to the horse track or show them parlay cards at a young age. I feel like taking a kid to the track and showing him how betting odds work is a nice weekend tradition, but will a kid be more likely to get into trouble with gambling if he's exposed to it too young? I'm a long time away from having kids, I was just curious.
    I'm supposed to read your mind you freaking retard?..you wrote "I feel like takin a kid to the track"...I mean why would you even make a thread about this topic if you didn't have access to some poor lil kid you were gonna end up ruining..lol..fuk it everyone take their kids to the track..saloon this thread already

dfish
    Sea Pines
    dfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 181

It won't end well
    Way better ways to spend time with your kids.

TEXAS MICKEY

Ah yes, go ahead and send them to school, let them piss away your hard earned dollars or bury their asses so deep in college loans, and come out with an education, and still can't count, read or write. Much less get job.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

mh217 would have been a FUC|< UP whether he discovered gambling at the age of 5 or 50.
    With all the problems this guy must have going on in the kitchen, gambling is the least of his worries!
    LOL

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21677

6 or 7 is good.

mh217

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420 View Post
    mh217 would have been a FUC|< UP whether he discovered gambling at the age of 5 or 50.
    With all the problems this guy must have going on in the kitchen, gambling is the least of his worries!
    LOL
    Yep I would be nervous being on my bad side if I was you, i got nothing to lose, might skin you like a chicken to do your family a favor you waste of oxygen.

mynameismud
    mynameismud's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8427

no one in my family gambles. im self taught in all facets...poker, sports, table games, etc. i would have loved to have a mentor when i was young to show me some of the ropes.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

My Father took me to OTB's in Ny City when I was about 10
    I was looking at lines maybe age 13 or so NY Post and NY Daily News

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

Just trying to picture jj jumping around his house naked at the age of 10 yelling, "You mother fukker, take me to the God Damned track before I burry your head in the sand Old Man."
    Gambling since he's been 12-13 might explain his consistent picks though.
    If you have anyting going for you Gold, it's that you clearly have an edge when it comes to experience.

GL

darkhat
    darkhat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    If you think gambling automatically ruins someones life, what are you doing here?

I take my kids to arlington all the time, they enjoy it for what it is and making gambling/ drinking/Etc like the "forbidden fruit" just makes teenagers not be able to handle those things

France and other countries where kids drink wine have nowhere near the alcoholism/drunk driving problems that the u.s. has
    exactly.

jjaycuny

I'm supposed to read your mind you freaking retard?..you wrote "I feel like takin a kid to the track"...I mean why would you even make a thread about this topic if you didn't have access to some poor lil kid you were gonna end up ruining..lol..fuk it everyone take their kids to the track..saloon this thread already
    why are you so hung up on me and this hypothetical kid? You are taking what I said out of context. READ IT YOU MORON. I didn't just say "I feel like taking a kid to a track." I said "I feel like taking a kid to the track and showing him how betting odds work is a nice weekend tradition."

mh217

Dude you're a retard..I don't really care if you live or die, take a kid to the track, whatever...you called me an idiot cause I'm supposed to magically know you weren't ever taking a kid to the track..how would I know?..just figured you were, and that's why you made the thread...Fuk this thread already it's pointless.. SBR offspring will turn out like their parents most likely anyway.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

If the kid is a genius, I'd say fairly young.

This being said, here's my 3 year old with her first winner at Lone Star Park.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

TEXAS MICKEY

There ya go...............Opie's got it down. Teach them the correct way.
    I would bet, that 99% of you guys got your first taste of gambling from some drunk buddy or a local sports bar bookie and had no clue what you were doing from the gitty go.

allabout the $$$
    Update your status
    allabout the $$$'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26823

my son will be 18 next week taking him and 2 of his boys to the bahamas for 5 days. it is time for him to learn the ropes of gambling and partying

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    If the kid is a genius, I'd say fairly young.

This being said, here's my 3 year old with her first winner at Lone Star Park.
    Finally i see the picture of the person responsible for breaking the bank at lone star

Great track but it wont be open much longer with those puny purses

12 Last