stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

WWE Legend Chief Jay Strongbow Passes Away at 83; Greatest Native American Wrestlers

Chief Jay Strongbow, the celebrated wrestler from the 60s and 70s, passed away this afternoon at the age of 83. The news was first reported by WWE broadcast announcer Jim Ross. Strongbow, whose real name was Joe Scarpa, undertook wrestling in the late 40s and lasted until the early 80s. Strongbow then labored forVince McMahon and the World Wrestling Federation for a brief period in various positions. As Chief Jay Strongbow, the Italian Joe Scarpa hit his stride in the 70s as he choreographed the Native American character. He held several championships, including the WWF Tag Team Championship with Jules Strongbow. The beloved wrestler was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 1994.

Strongbow was one of, if not the most popular Native American wrestling character. He inspired numerous other Native American characters throughout the years. In celebration of Chief Jay Strongbow, here is a list of the three most distinguished Native American wrestlers.

Chief Jay Strongbow
    As previously mentioned, Strongbow was a mainstream attractionfor the WWWF in the 60s and 70s. He also performed for the NWA and acquired the companies prestigious titles. The Chief also held several regional titles across the nation, during a time when the territorial wrestling system was active. Strongbow later inspired several young WWE acts including The Hardy Boyz.

Tatanka
    The Native American Tatanka was one of the most prominent babyface wrestlers of the mid 90s. With his war cry theme music and enthusiastic rain dance, Tatanka was cheered by young and old alike. Although he was motivated by Chief Jay Strongbow, Tatanka was the physical complete opposite. Tatanka wore bright colors and had a red Mohawk. During his initial run with the WWE, Tatanka went on a lengthy undefeated streak before he ultimately fell to Ludvig Borga.

Wahoo McDaniel
    Wahoo McDaniel was playing for the New York Jets when Vince McMahon Sr. decided to bring in the Native American act. The well-known wrestler was a hit in all the wrestling organizations he functioned for. But McDaniel made his biggest impact with the Mid-Atlantic territory where he feuded with "Nature Boy" Ric Flair, Greg Valentine and Harley Race. Wahoo McDaniel is considered the Chief Jay Strongbow of the southeast.

Chief Jay Strongbow left the world on Tuesday April 3rd, but his memory will hold strong for many years. His outward personality and character helped transition the pure pro wrestling generation to the sports entertainment business. Rest in peace Chief Jay.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Wahoo McDaniel was better and actually was Native American. He was one of my favorites as a kid.

BestPlay2day
    BestPlay2day's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5087

RIP Jay! Actually he's really an Italian playing a Native American wrestler.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Tatanka was sick back in the day. His special move was kinda of weak though. Flying double leg kick.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

I thought Tatanka's move was the tomahawk chop from the top rope......

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

RIP Thanks for the memories

LUCKYCHUCK
    LUCKYCHUCK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 29057

as a kid growing up i loved to watch this guy wrestle. he really portrayed his character well.

cecil127
    Horses and Hockey Biatch!
    cecil127's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6871

when he was just about out (choke hold applied by the bad guy) he's eventually get his "mojo" back and start dancing around like he was at a bon fire dance....to the amazement of the foe who acted like it was "black magic" that allowed him to regain his strengh and win the match.
    cracks me up to find out he was really a WOP.
    rip big man.

BrentCrude
    BrentCrude's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I remember seeing Wahoo ** Daniel wrestle in my hick town a number of times when I was a kid.He was a stud athlete-linebacker in college and the pros with the Jets.He looked a little rough by the time he retired a few years past his football days but they said he was a Jim Thorp type that could run marathons if he had wanted to

cadillac pete
    cadillac pete's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6636

I remember Greg "the Hammer" Valentine broke his leg (or gave the impression he did since wrestling is fake) with his figure four leg lock. This was in the early 80's.

superserious
    superserious's Avatar Become A Pro!

who fukin cares