ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9752

just after 6 p.m. on April 5, 1968

just after 6 p.m. on April 5, 1968, Martin Luther King Jr. was standing on the second-floor balcony of the Lorraine Motel, in Memphis, Tennessee, when a sniper's bullet struck him in the neck. He was rushed to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead about an hour later.

In early April 1968, shock waves reverberated around the world with the news that U.S. civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. had been assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee. A Baptist minister and founder of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), King had led the civil rights movement since the mid-1950s, using a combination of powerful words and non-violent tactics such as sit-ins, boycotts and protest marches (including the massive March on Washington in 1963) to fight segregation and achieve significant civil and voting rights advances for African Americans. His assassination led to an outpouring of anger among black Americans, as well as a period of national mourning that helped speed the way for an equal housing bill that would be the last significant legislative achievement of the civil rights era

http://www.history.com/topics/martin...ics_04042012_1

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

he died on April 4th, 1968

Living The Dream
    Looks like an Underdog Week 2!
    Living The Dream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 761

Whoops

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

I was bored and was actually watching the history channel about one of the toughest security prisons in the country, it is in the mountains of east tennessee, about 50 miles from my house actually, and MLK Jr.'s murderer was one of the only people to escape from this prison, but was caught 3 days later only about half a mile from the prison.

crockettstheme
    your life got salooned
    crockettstheme's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    he died on April 4th, 1968
    he knows its the 4th, just a big attention hoar

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by crockettstheme View Post
    He's pretty damn fat.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Quote Originally Posted by crockettstheme View Post

ttwarrior1

got it from google, sorry, who cares aboout the day anyway,

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    got it from google, sorry, who cares aboout the day anyway,
    I assume it was posted today because you thought this was the anniversary.

ttwarrior1

On March 29, 1968, King went to Memphis, Tennessee, in support of the black sanitary public works employees, represented by AFSCME Local 1733, who had been on strike since March 12 for higher wages and better treatment. In one incident, black street repairmen received pay for two hours when they were sent home because of bad weather, but white employees were paid for the full day.[114][115][116]
    On April 3, King addressed a rally and delivered his "I've Been to the Mountaintop" address at Mason Temple, the world headquarters of the Church of God in Christ. King's flight to Memphis had been delayed by a bomb threat against his plane.[117] In the close of the last speech of his career, in reference to the bomb threat, King said the following:
    And then I got to Memphis. And some began to say the threats, or talk about the threats that were out. What would happen to me from some of our sick white brothers? Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. So I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.[118]
    King was booked in room 306 at the Lorraine Motel, owned by Walter Bailey, in Memphis. The Reverend Ralph Abernathy, King's close friend and colleague who was present at the assassination, testified under oath to the United States House Select Committee on Assassinations that King and his entourage stayed at room 306 at the Lorraine Motel so often it was known as the "King-Abernathy suite."[119]
    According to Jesse Jackson, who was present, King's last words on the balcony prior to his assassination were spoken to musician Ben Branch, who was scheduled to perform that night at an event King was attending: "Ben, make sure you play 'Take My Hand, Precious Lord' in the meeting tonight. Play it real pretty."[120]
    Then, at 6:01 p.m., April 4, 1968, a shot rang out as King stood on the motel's second floor balcony. The bullet entered through his right cheek, smashing his jaw, then traveled down his spinal cord before lodging in his shoulder.[121][122] Abernathy heard the shot from inside the motel room and ran to the balcony to find King on the floor.[123] The events following the shooting have been disputed, as some people have accused Jackson of exaggerating his response.[124]
    After emergency chest surgery, King was pronounced dead at St. Joseph's Hospital at 7:05 p.m.[125] According to biographer Taylor Branch, King's autopsy revealed that though only 39 years old, he had the heart of a 60-year-old man, perhaps a result of the stress of 13 years in the civil rights movement.[126][clarification needed]
    The assassination led to a nationwide wave of race riots in Washington D.C., Chicago, Baltimore, Louisville, Kentucky, Kansas City, and dozens of other cities.[127] Presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy was on his way to Indianapolis for a campaign rally when he was informed of King's death. He gave a short speech to the gathering of supporters informing them of the tragedy and urging them to continue King's ideal of non-violence.[128] James Farmer, Jr. and other civil rights leaders also called for non-violent action,[129] while the more militant Stokely Carmichael called for a more forceful response.[129]
    President Lyndon B. Johnson declared April 7 a national day of mourning for the civil rights leader.[130] Vice-President Hubert Humphrey attended King's funeral on behalf of the President, as there were fears that Johnson's presence might incite protests and perhaps violence.[131]
    At his widow's request, King's last sermon at Ebenezer Baptist Church was played at the funeral,[132] a recording of his "Drum Major" sermon, given on February 4, 1968. In that sermon, King made a request that at his funeral no mention of his awards and honors be made, but that it be said that he tried to "feed the hungry", "clothe the naked", "be right on the [Vietnam] war question", and "love and serve humanity".[133] His good friend Mahalia Jackson sang his favorite hymn, "Take My Hand, Precious Lord", at the funeral.[134]
    The city of Memphis quickly settled the strike on terms favorable to the sanitation workers.

ttwarrior1

yep , its a shame nobody posted anything yesterday

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

i've been to the lorraine motel on the civil rights tour, i recommend it for anyone visiting Memphis

Living The Dream
    Looks like an Underdog Week 2!
    Living The Dream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 761

I know he died yesterday thanks to U2

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Seemed like a good man
    We could use more black leaders like this

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

sorry, who cares aboout the day anyway,
    Obviously you, since you took the time to pull your fat sausage fingers away from your food to post it.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: showtiime

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kurt Cobain - April 5 1994 RIP

kmarinouofm
    Those who stay.. will be Champions!
    kmarinouofm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3445

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Obviously you, since you took the time to pull your fat sausage fingers away from your food to post it.

kmarinouofm
    Those who stay.. will be Champions!
    kmarinouofm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3445

Rodney Dangerfield october 5th 2004

Monitor-Tan
    Tony Romo of Daily Fantasy
    Monitor-Tan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 428

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10250

Quote Originally Posted by kmarinouofm View Post
    Rodney Dangerfield october 5th 2004

Rodney...Classic...
    Still crackin' me up!!

RESPECT...R.I.P.

ttwarrior1

who cares about kurt, he's in hell

PickWinnerAllDay

who cares about kurt, he's in hell
    When are you going to stroke out man? Just knowing you exist in the same world as I do really puts me in a bad mood. You're so damn fat and disgusting.

coanwe
    coanwe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7285

God bless TT...he's the man!! Post another tennis vid

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    i've been to the lorraine motel on the civil rights tour, i recommend it for anyone visiting Memphis
    I've been there as well, a very moving experience.

ttwarrior1

and pickwinners thinks he is going to law school, funny stuff

One word from me to sbr and your out, and ive done it a few times

Over and under until he gets another id?

PickWinnerAllDay

Shut up you fat tub of mayo... The only reason you are allowed to post here is because I told Shari that you could post because you make everyone else feel better about their lives compared to yours.

Vitooch
    Dayman
    Vitooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

Who the **** is Martin Luther King Jr.?

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids

-10000000000000 but you won't get him banned so stop it.

ttwarrior1

another lie, you'll be gone soon
    Why all the hatred anyway? you need help.

PickWinnerAllDay

-10000000000000 but you won't get him banned so stop it.
    Mind your business you bitch ass. You really think you're big time because you work security in vegas. Unreal.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    Mind your business you bitch ass. You really think you're big time because you work security in vegas. Unreal.
    Never have worked a security job a day in my life. Got the name and date of birth along with some other interesting info of the person who placed your wager all from the ticket number. You don't get that info from working in security. Just a quick phone call from Macau to someone in race and sports at Luxor and presto.

tt- if you can actually get a mod to permanently ban him by 4/15 you get 500 points from me. Otherwise, stop with the idle threats.

PickWinnerAllDay

Never have worked a security job a day in my life. Got the name and date of birth along with some other interesting info of the person who placed your wager all from the ticket number. You don't get that info from working in security. Just a quick phone call from Macau to someone in race and sports at Luxor and presto.

tt- if you can actually get a mod to permanently ban him by 4/15 you get 500 points from me. Otherwise, stop with the idle threats.
    You don't scare me because even my player's card only has my first and middle name. You couldn't possibly get my last name since I've never entered it into my player's card. Nice try though buddy. I'll meet you wherever you want in Luxor and take a big dump on your lip.

PickWinnerAllDay

Go to college Grits, make something of your life you uneducated prikk.

ttwarrior1

ill work on it, jj can verify our skype convo. I said give him a break and lets see how he continues to act.
    If you see me make a thread saying, jj contact me on skype, I'll get it done.

PickWinnerAllDay

ill work on it, jj can verify our skype convo. I said give him a break and lets see how he continues to act.
    If you see me make a thread saying, jj contact me on skype, I'll get it done.
    You couldn't ban a bag of doritos from your mouth. Doubt you can ban anyone from a forum.

12 Last